Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
I honestly don't buy that map. I live in Austin and the only real threats are tornadoes, and they're not especially bad around here. I'm from Houston and yeah, flooding and hurricanes are a real problem, but honestly a big quake in California seems like it could do a lot more damage.

It seems like they rate tornadoes ten times worse than all other disasters, which is weird because they're really no at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GaussianCopula posted:

How are the risks weight? The danger of a drought is probably not as bad for the normal, non-farmer, then say a major earthquake.

It also gives a new meaning to red state.

Probably yearly fatalities/property damage or else Boise and the cities in Nevada wouldn't be quite as safe.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

a bad enough dude posted:

I honestly don't buy that map. I live in Austin and the only real threats are tornadoes, and they're not especially bad around here. I'm from Houston and yeah, flooding and hurricanes are a real problem, but honestly a big quake in California seems like it could do a lot more damage.

It seems like they rate tornadoes ten times worse than all other disasters, which is weird because they're really no at all.

Tornados are really bad if you get hit directly, but if they just go down the other side of the street, you can be fine. It's a little frightening how arbitrary they are.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Every day all summer is a disaster in Texas.

Edit: http://www.prb.org/Articles/2011/disasters-by-type.aspx

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 7, 2013

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

stereobreadsticks posted:

This one's labeled "Surviving Folk Culture Regions." Presumably this has to do with folklore, cuisine, dialect, and other similar things and it would be interesting to get more detail on the map, especially concerning why the unshaded areas supposedly don't have their own folk culture, but unfortunately it was presented more or less without comment.
I can sort of help in regards to one of the folk culture regions. The blob of purple straddling central Manitoba/Saskatchewan in Canada is where my family's from, and it's very strongly Ukrainian, with no shortage of Poles and Russians as well. And it does show: my mum grew up speaking Canadian Ukrainian (and we're not Ukrainian - she picked it up from the community as a whole, in spite of her parents speaking exclusively English); the tradition of pain-stakingly painting pysanky was taken very seriously, the town has significant congregations in both the Ukrainian Catholic and Ukrainian Orthodox churches, and most of the food you'll find at town fairs are based somewhere on slavic cuisine - even in my family, which was Anglo-Irish, borsch was very, very common at meal-times.

They're not the only cultural group, though. German mennonites are a big one too. But I can definitely understand why the map-maker called it a folk-culture region.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

computer parts posted:

Just saw this from my friend on Facebook:

Also:

Clearly god is trying to send us a message.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KernelSlanders posted:

Also:

You get clobbered with enough disasters, you start to believe in god?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

lonelywurm posted:

I can sort of help in regards to one of the folk culture regions. The blob of purple straddling central Manitoba/Saskatchewan in Canada is where my family's from, and it's very strongly Ukrainian, with no shortage of Poles and Russians as well. And it does show: my mum grew up speaking Canadian Ukrainian (and we're not Ukrainian - she picked it up from the community as a whole, in spite of her parents speaking exclusively English); the tradition of pain-stakingly painting pysanky was taken very seriously, the town has significant congregations in both the Ukrainian Catholic and Ukrainian Orthodox churches, and most of the food you'll find at town fairs are based somewhere on slavic cuisine - even in my family, which was Anglo-Irish, borsch was very, very common at meal-times.

Which area/city was this? Sounds like an interesting cultural phenomenon.

prefect posted:

You get clobbered with enough disasters, you start to believe in god?

I'm a little surprised that even in places like Vermont it's still more than 25% of the population.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Phlegmish posted:

At this rate, 600K would only last them a decade at most. Current demographic trends aren't set in stone, though. I can see Eastern European fertility rates going back up in the near future, which is what happened for native Western Europeans in the past two decades (except Germans). Still lower than the replacement rate, but enough to stave off complete demographic collapse.

That's true, a lot of those deep-blue areas are probably rural areas with a low population density. It's part of the general trend of people moving from the periphery to the center. Belgium and the Netherlands don't really have the equivalent of that kind of peripheral area, and that's why you don't see any blue zones there. Still, Germany has been losing population for years now. I wonder how that will affect its social security system, particularly pensions, once baby boomers start retiring. Will they be to able to cope with it? It looks like they'll be hit even harder than the rest of Western Europe.

Another potential explanation for Germany not seeing fertility rates rise is that eastern Germans have maintained fertility levels of an Eastern European country. Considering that eastern Germany is more in line with Eastern Europe in terms of economic development, and the fact that like most Eastern European countries, eastern Germany has very few immigrants (who tend to have more children) it's not hard to see why Germany doesn't doesn't have Western European fertility rates.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Most women also leave Eastern Germany for the western parts.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KernelSlanders posted:

Also:

we'll trade you utah for illinois, straight up

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Meme Emulator posted:

Whoa, I've never heard of this one.

I heard it referenced one time in a song that I totally didn't understand until now.

(warning: no map content)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKDagcLpJgY

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Which area/city was this? Sounds like an interesting cultural phenomenon.
My family's from the Swan River valley area, where the running joke is you don't get out of town without a chuk or a ski at the end of your name. I did, but I have a lot of cousins who didn't.

Like with everything else, part of the distinctiveness has been lost since my mum was young (late 60s, early 70s), but it's still not gone. The 2006 census for the town and surrounding regional municipality shows 3-4% of the population still speak Ukrainian as their mother tongue, and 35-40% speak it as a second language - which is higher than the number of people self-identifying as being of Ukrainian ancestry, suggesting at least some non-Ukrainians still end up speaking at least some Ukrainian.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

computer parts posted:

I grew up in Corvallis, OR. We had a ~5 on the Richter scale earthquake once. I thought someone was shaking my bed as a joke and went back to sleep.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

How are the risks weight? The danger of a drought is probably not as bad for the normal, non-farmer, then say a major earthquake.

Why would you think this? The effects of drought are wide-spread and really bad. It causes wildfires that will spread over hundreds of miles, burning everything in their path. In areas that aren't at risk of massive wildfires, drought still causes long-term damage to structures as the foundations shift and settle in soil that's far more dry than what the builders anticipated. There are massive dieoffs of marine life as ponds and small lakes completely dry up and large lakes have the water level drop by over 10 feet. There's a lot more to severe drought than suburbanites being unable to water their lawns during the day, which for some reason people around here always use as a demonstration of that drat liberal heavyhanded government.

Nearly 3,000 homes in an area of almost 4 million acres were destroyed in the 2011 Texas wildfires.

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 7, 2013

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I grew up in California, and we laugh at you flyover people who fear earthquakes.

:smug:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Riso posted:

Most women also leave Eastern Germany for the western parts.

But those are the better educated one, who have have less children on average.

It will be interesting to see how the economic situation in the EU will lead to more migration on a nation level, because this would be needed to balance the job-numbers, but both sides dont like it very much. The countries that are targets for migration because their population does not want to compete with new members of the workforce and the source countries because they fear the young and well educated are leaving the country.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

duodenum posted:

I grew up in California, and we laugh at you flyover people who fear earthquakes.

:smug:
Yeah, earthquakes that cause real damage over here are very rare, much rarer than tornadoes and hurricanes. Most earthquakes are fun.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The definition of risk is cost x probability of occurrence, where cost is in lives or dollars and the probability of occurrence is usually annual. Severe weather happens a lot more frequently than major earthquakes even though a single earthquake may have a greater cost than a single weather event.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Also interesting that there is apparently a huge concentration of ethnic islands in the Midwest

In rural Iowa where I grew up, most counties will have a principle city that serves as county seat and has a population of at least a few thousand, and then a number of small towns surrounding it that have only a few hundred residents. Those smaller communities tend to be totally ethnically homogeneous, generally German although some counties are have Dutch or Scandinavian, and as a result they're referred to as "colonies". The people tend to be descended from the original colonists, to the point that we used to make fun of them in high school--if they didn't check with their parents they could easily date a cousin by mistake. I think the best known of these are the Amana Colonies, which were founded in Eastern Iowa by German pietists in the 1840s. Most of the colonies weren't founded for religious reasons, though. It was just that industrialization and political upheaval in Central and Northern Europe drove emigration, which mostly ended up in the United States. The American Midwest was just beginning to be settled at the time, so when the immigrants got to the USA that area had a lot of freely available farmland while still being relatively accessible, hence the ethnic islands.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I've never heard anyone refer to soft drinks as "tonic" except maybe ads from the 1890s. Are you sure they didn't mean tonic water?

Elim Garak posted:

Positive. To give some more information, it was my fathers side of the family, they grew up lower middle class in Waltham, MA. My grandfather was a marine in the Pacific theater in WWII, so maybe it came from there, but I tend to think not since my dad still occasionally said tonic into the early 90's. I'd think if it was something his peers weren't saying as a kid he would have dropped it. His father, sister and her children all said it at least until '94 or '95 when my grandfather died and a rift in the family prevented me from observing the evolution of the vernacular. But yeah, it was definitely all fizzy soft drinks.

Edit: http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/308-the-pop-vs-soda-map mentions it fading in popularity in the Boston area. This was the map I was thinking of when I said earlier that I guessed tonic wasn't showing up anymore, but it doesn't even show up on this map. Also if you google soda vs pop vs tonic there's a Boston Globe article about it but it's subscriber-only.

Tonic is most definitely a Boston-area thing, though it's largely fallen out of favor. It's still my born-and-raised-in-Somerville mother's go-to word for soda

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

computer parts posted:

You can get the full rankings here.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Meme Emulator posted:

Whoa, I've never heard of this one.

This is seriously the most shocking thing in this entire thread to me. I had no idea that "sunshower" was a regional term.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Regional culture areas, I think this one is particularly problematic, especially because of the huge extent and variety of the areas labeled as "Midland." Philadelphia, northern Alabama and the Bay Area all belong to a single regional culture? I don't buy it. I'd also say that the area of the "Hispanic Borderland" region is underestimated here. Still, interesting.

Is it really saying that? To me it's saying that those areas contain a fusion of surrounding cultures or an indistinct dominant culture. Hence regions like Pennslytuckey existing but not being anything like some of the other rural expanses where a bunch of dweeby English people decided to settle and birth a lineage of boring jerks aside from politics and nascar.

Depends I guess on whether midlands is being used as a proper names or a descriptor

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 7, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wonder what the difference is between midland and 19th-century european?

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

computer parts posted:

The safest places in the US are also the only places located near volcanoes...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

computer parts posted:

This isn't a very good map. What are the metrics they use? As people have pointed out, it's not like Washington doesn't have seismic and volcanic activity on its own... Santa Fe and Farmington, NM are prone to drought and wildfires (more Santa Fe for the latter), and, for whatever reason, Milwaukee is moderate hazard while Sheboygan, one hour north, is low hazard?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The spreadsheet says he uses these categories:

Hurricanes
Tornados
Earthquakes
Hail
Wind
Drought
Floods
Daily precipitaion greater than 1/2 inch
Daily snowfall greater than 5 inches
Temperatures below 0 deg F
Temperatures below 32 deg F
Temperatures above 90 deg F

But he doesn't say how or if he weighs them in a certain way. I feel that the all of the categories after floods barely even need to be taken into consideration. Most cities that experience frequent high rains, snowfall or extreme temperatures have things in place to offset these risk. Plus, those sorts of risks are much more predictable than earthquakes, tornadoes, or long term droughts.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Key word: Cities. Not everyone lives in a city, some of us still live out in the rear end end of nowhere where things like extreme temperatures or precipitation can still be dangerous at relatively low levels.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

GaussianCopula posted:

Droughts can also, depending on the region and the severity of the drought, become a danger to local residential/commercial water supplies. I know in Maryland we had several summers out of the last 15 where water was rationed in the suburbs because the reservoirs were getting visibly lower and lower.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

withak posted:

I wonder what the difference is between midland and 19th-century european?

I'm guessing "midland" refers to places settled primarily by the descendents of Scotch-Irish settlers who arrived settled in the Appalachians in starting in the 18th century, while "19th-century European" refers to areas with a settlement pattern similar to what EvanSchenck described in his post, with pockets of people from various non-British northern European cultures like Germans, Swedes, Norwegians, Finns, etc.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

I wonder how different this would be now, there is a concentrated effort here to change the Devil's Night thing for at least the past 10 years.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Interesting that both New Jersey and southwestern Connecticut call it "mischief night" but apparently NYC doesn't.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Muscle Tracer posted:

Droughts can also, depending on the region and the severity of the drought, become a danger to local residential/commercial water supplies. I know in Maryland we had several summers out of the last 15 where water was rationed in the suburbs because the reservoirs were getting visibly lower and lower.

Suburbians not being able to refill their swimming pools and having their golf courses turn a little browned is not exactly dangerous. I think droughts are mainly dangerous in that they can lead to wildfires, which I'm actually surprised would not be included in these metrics. Wildfires can be legitimately dangerous.

Living in coastal California I can see how by those metrics it would seem pretty safe but earthquakes and frequent wildfires are nothing to sneeze at, although the chances of dying in them are quite low.

In that link someone posted ( http://www.prb.org/Articles/2011/disasters-by-type.aspx ) I was somewhat surprised that lightning makes up over ten percent of deaths by disaster. I guess its not that surprising the pacific coast is rated so safe because in general it has little to none of the first six things on that list.

Play fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 8, 2013

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Play posted:

Suburbians not being able to refill their swimming pools and having their golf courses turn a little browned is not exactly dangerous. I think droughts are mainly dangerous in that they can lead to wildfires, which I'm actually surprised would not be included in these metrics. Wildfires can be legitimately dangerous.

Living in coastal California I can see how by those metrics it would seem pretty safe but earthquakes and frequent wildfires are nothing to sneeze at, although the chances of dying in them are quite low.

In that link someone posted ( http://www.prb.org/Articles/2011/disasters-by-type.aspx ) I was somewhat surprised that lightning makes up over ten percent of deaths by disaster. I guess its not that surprising the pacific coast is rated so safe because in general it has little to none of the first six things on that list.

I think earthquakes and wildfires still kill a lot fewer people than heat waves and tornados.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dusseldorf posted:

I think earthquakes and wildfires still kill a lot fewer people than heat waves and tornados.

Well according to that link you'd be completely right.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I don't want to harp on Hungary any more, but I found this map kinda funny.

I like how they didn't include Austria or the Ottoman Empire.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 8, 2013

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

withak posted:

The definition of risk is cost x probability of occurrence, where cost is in lives or dollars and the probability of occurrence is usually annual. Severe weather happens a lot more frequently than major earthquakes even though a single earthquake may have a greater cost than a single weather event.

That's why our response to 9/11 was completely overblown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Play posted:

Suburbians not being able to refill their swimming pools and having their golf courses turn a little browned is not exactly dangerous.

Not being able to drink water because your faucet is running dry is, though.