Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

The Real Quaid posted:

They seem basically nice people but ill-advised, someone close to them really should have told them that they are taking care of too many cats. Eggplant Wizard, as a warning to others, please rename this thread to "Whole house smell like pussy".

Not a PI mod dudes.

Absolute Evil posted:

Quoting myself because I'm in a dilemma. The person who originally called dibs on the lone male of the group, backed out. I'd kind of prefer a male, since my other 2 are, and I love (mostly) black kitties. But the girl is gorgeous too. Grrr. This face tho....

Grey girl kitten supremacy :catbert: Get Beatrice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

Tamarillo posted:

IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oKbePgjl.jpg[/TIMG]

E: Also, unrelated - oh my god, why is Frontline so poo poo? Both cats got fleas, I put Frontline on them a week ago and they have continued to have fleas the entire time AND this isn't the first time Frontline has let the team down. I've just ordered a bunch of Advocate because I've had good experiences with the Advantage line of products but god drat, Frontline is sold everywhere and it's so bloody expensive and I wasted $80 on crap that doesn't work.

Last year, for the first time in many years, I had to deal with a flea infestation on seven cats. The fleas quickly became immune to Frontline and Advantage. For several months I tried a Capstar equivalent with Program (flea birth control), but I had one cat that wouldn't take these pills so the strategy didn't work for me. Last month I ordered Revolution from Petshed.com and FINALLY all the fleas died off. Something to try if the others fail you. I was also surprised to see that none of my cats freaked out when I applied it to their necks, unlike their reactions to Frontline.

I think in the US Revolution is prescription only, but Petshed ships from Australia and I didn't need a prescription for it. Always check the prices on there and Amazon before you buy flea meds locally, because it can save you a bunch of money.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tamarillo posted:

E: Also, unrelated - oh my god, why is Frontline so poo poo? Both cats got fleas, I put Frontline on them a week ago and they have continued to have fleas the entire time AND this isn't the first time Frontline has let the team down. I've just ordered a bunch of Advocate because I've had good experiences with the Advantage line of products but god drat, Frontline is sold everywhere and it's so bloody expensive and I wasted $80 on crap that doesn't work.

Frontline did absolutely nothing to kill fleas at my in-law's house. Apparently some fleas are resistant to Frontline and some are resistant to Advantage, and if one doesn't work you just have to move to the other. Make sure the fleas aren't beating up on any of your cats more than usual. We had one that was just a flea magnet and she ended up becoming anemic from it. :(

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Minarchist posted:

Doesn't excessive protein cause problems in some animals, like pancreatitis?

Maybe excess fat in dogs (and that's a maybe, definitely not for certain) and not at all in cats. Protein doesn't.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

Niemat posted:

I have another cat eliminating inappropriately problem. :( We've been living in our current apartment (3 floor duplex where the cats have access to two floors) for about two months now, and a couple of weeks ago we noticed our recycling bin in our kitchen smelled funny. I thought it was that we weren't doing the best job rinsing, and I tried to make sure everything was even cleaner. However, the smell didn't go away. One week we had a partially full bin, and that's when I noticed a smelly yellow liquid and figured out the cat(s?) had been peeing in the bin. I pulled both bins (we switched them out from week to week), cleaned them thoroughly with bleach and then Nature's Miracle before leaving them outside. For a little while, this seemed to work. I was gone for a week about two weeks ago, and I came back to the kitchen smelling funny again. I checked the corner where the recycling bins had been and discovered either one or both of the cats had been peeing there. Ever since then, one or both have been peeing and defecating back there at least twice in a 24 hour period (whenever we wake up, there's cat pee/poo poo and about midday we'll notice cat pee). Once we discover the mess, we bleach wipe it down, soak it in Nature's Miracle, wipe that up, and then just leave some Nature's Miracle on the area. If it makes a difference, the area is hardwood floor in front of our backdoor. I'm not sure which cat it is, or if it's both, but I feel like it can't be a crystal problem if it's the same area constantly, can it? I tried to put a litterbox where they're eliminating, and they just peed around it. They have a feliway diffuser upstairs by their two large boxes, and we use cat attract supplement. I REALLY need them to stop (because, again, this is all happening in my kitchen :( ), but I'm really clueless as to how anymore, and I'm getting desperate. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas...? :ohdear:

edit: We have two male littermates that just turned 3 last month. Both are neutered.

I'm really tired, but I'm pretty sure no one responded to this.

Have you tried SSSCAT Cat Training Aid or other cat repellent devices? You might want to look into something like that and setting up some way to repel cats from a specific area.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I have a general cat question! I have a kitten who, for some retarded reason, loves to random lick my hair. I wash my hair with tea tree oil shampoo but there isn't any in my conditioner. Do I have to worry about my cat getting sick?

mune
Sep 23, 2006

This is actually extremely, extremely helpful! You definitely assuaged my fears regarding other kittens - also my girlfriend thought your write-up was hilarious!

I went to the shelter today (after spending the past two days cat-proofing my apartment) and picked out a little black kitten as my ragdoll's playmate. He'll have the run of the house in the two weeks leading up to when we get the ragdoll. He was the first actual kitten I saw when I got to the shelter, a two-pound black nothing who saw me and started pawing at the glass, and from then I was hooked. I walked all around the shelter and saw some other kittens, but I wanted him - and two minutes with him was all I needed to make my decision, as he's extremely friendly and affectionate. Only two days till I can pick him up...

This will be the Decoy to my Hugo ;)

http://imgur.com//bALjYO1

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Don't mess with Mister Creazil!
My 11 year old son and I went to my coworkers today to look at the kittens. We picked each of them up, cuddled with them, looked them over, all that good stuff. I told my son he got to make the final decision. The lone male latched onto my son. So we took the black male and Henry named him Jasper. The little poo poo wants nothing to do with me really, but follows Henry around like Henry is his new mommy. :3:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Absolute Evil posted:

My 11 year old son and I went to my coworkers today to look at the kittens. We picked each of them up, cuddled with them, looked them over, all that good stuff. I told my son he got to make the final decision. The lone male latched onto my son. So we took the black male and Henry named him Jasper. The little poo poo wants nothing to do with me really, but follows Henry around like Henry is his new mommy. :3:

Well, you've just guaranteed that your son will forever be a softie who could never be mean to an animal, so I'd say it's a good scenario playing out. :)

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

mune posted:

This is actually extremely, extremely helpful! You definitely assuaged my fears regarding other kittens - also my girlfriend thought your write-up was hilarious!

I went to the shelter today (after spending the past two days cat-proofing my apartment) and picked out a little black kitten as my ragdoll's playmate. He'll have the run of the house in the two weeks leading up to when we get the ragdoll. He was the first actual kitten I saw when I got to the shelter, a two-pound black nothing who saw me and started pawing at the glass, and from then I was hooked. I walked all around the shelter and saw some other kittens, but I wanted him - and two minutes with him was all I needed to make my decision, as he's extremely friendly and affectionate. Only two days till I can pick him up...

This will be the Decoy to my Hugo ;)

http://imgur.com//bALjYO1

Awwwww that kitten looks rad. Take lots of pictures because he'll be huge before you know it - in my mind Decoy is still the same size as when I got him but in reality he's over 5kg now. Also this is pretty much how we chose Decoy - he was in a cage with three other kittens, he came to the edge and when we opened the door he climbed up onto my husband's shoulder. We knew we wanted a boy, his 'head shape conformed to my husband's standards' (wtf) and the other boy kitten was hissing like a feral banshee. We took him home that day and he has been awesome ever since. He's totally my little dude, and taught himself to play fetch and is smart enough to be clicker trained. He also shreds my socks but whatever, I love that little rear end in a top hat. Black shelter cats are the best.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
My AC went out. It will be about 90 degrees in my apt. What should I do for my cat? Plenty of water bowls placed around the apartment? Open some windows for him in the mean time?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

My AC went out. It will be about 90 degrees in my apt. What should I do for my cat? Plenty of water bowls placed around the apartment? Open some windows for him in the mean time?

Pretty much. Close the blinds so less sun comes in and warms up the rooms? It really does help.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Well I picked up my little guy from the vet last night. I know it's normal that he's still going to have some straining issues due to having the catheter in and all but it's really hard not to freak out every time I see it. I'm horribly paranoid that he's going to block again since this is the second time it's happened; which would mean he'd need surgery that I'm not sure I'll be able to afford. I'd feel like a monster for not getting it done since he's otherwise a young, healthy cat. We got him the CD diet stuff, so hopefully he makes a nice recovery over the next day or 2.

:ohdear:

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Ouhei posted:

Well I picked up my little guy from the vet last night. I know it's normal that he's still going to have some straining issues due to having the catheter in and all but it's really hard not to freak out every time I see it. I'm horribly paranoid that he's going to block again since this is the second time it's happened; which would mean he'd need surgery that I'm not sure I'll be able to afford. I'd feel like a monster for not getting it done since he's otherwise a young, healthy cat. We got him the CD diet stuff, so hopefully he makes a nice recovery over the next day or 2.

We literally just went through this last month. Did the vet's office give you pain killers / muscle relaxers for your cat? We brought Iggy home with both (after his 2nd blockage in a week) and he did alright until the painkillers ran out. Then the straining and yelling and crying started up again. We rushed him to the vet, thinking he was blocked for the 3rd time (with our hearts sinking because of the surgery) and it turns out he was just in a LOT of pain. They prescribed another 5 days worth of painkillers and by the time those 5 days were up he was back to being an rear end in a top hat lovable cat.

Make sure he's drinking lots of water (get him a fountain, mix water with his food, leave the faucet on in the bathtub - Iggy likes the faucet, whatever it takes). The more fluids that go through him, the faster he'll clear up.

We're rooting for you. I know how stressful all of this is.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Nione posted:

We literally just went through this last month. Did the vet's office give you pain killers / muscle relaxers for your cat? We brought Iggy home with both (after his 2nd blockage in a week) and he did alright until the painkillers ran out. Then the straining and yelling and crying started up again. We rushed him to the vet, thinking he was blocked for the 3rd time (with our hearts sinking because of the surgery) and it turns out he was just in a LOT of pain. They prescribed another 5 days worth of painkillers and by the time those 5 days were up he was back to being an rear end in a top hat lovable cat.

Make sure he's drinking lots of water (get him a fountain, mix water with his food, leave the faucet on in the bathtub - Iggy likes the faucet, whatever it takes). The more fluids that go through him, the faster he'll clear up.

We're rooting for you. I know how stressful all of this is.

They have, I gave him them this morning but I'm hoping that the ones I gave him last night had just worn off a bit. We got a fountain a week or so ago, which he seemed to take to. In an effort to make sure he has as much water sources available I've set out a big bowl of it too, he's never been much for faucets but I'll try that as well.

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

Ouhei posted:

My cat Ghost had so many recurrences in a short time that we had to get the surgery for urethrostomy. It was in the 1k range and everyone thought we were crazy for it. I think we used CareCredit to cover it. But I still have my cat years later and he hasn't had any complications since; it's worth it every day I get to spend with him.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

Ouhei posted:

They have, I gave him them this morning but I'm hoping that the ones I gave him last night had just worn off a bit. We got a fountain a week or so ago, which he seemed to take to. In an effort to make sure he has as much water sources available I've set out a big bowl of it too, he's never been much for faucets but I'll try that as well.

Yeah, Iggy's pain meds were 1 every 12 hours. At around the 10-11 hour mark he'd start grumping a bit and using the litter box more frequently. The vet told us that as he healed, his bladder was still very irritated and any urine in there at all would make it hurt. That's why when the pain killers wore off, he'd start using the box more frequently (trying to get rid of the teeny tiny amounts of pee) and yelling a bit. We kept him separate from the other cats so we could track how much he was peeing each day. We went through a week of grape to golfball sized pee clumps. But, as long as there WERE pee clumps, we were happy.

Good luck!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What's the recommended flea treatment? I haven't been using any on Shadow because I lived well above ground level until recently when I moved into a ground level apartment. He's indoor only and doesn't have fleas, but I know they're a lot easier to bring in or even find their own way in and want to make sure he doesn't get them.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet

Coconut Indian posted:

After the long drive, I'll have to stay at my mom's place until I get an apartment (one month). What's the best way to introduce my 2 year old female spayed cat to her two (male, neutured)dogs? It's a doxie and and a toy poodle. The doxie is older and just lays around waiting for food to fall on the floor and the poodle is not as big of an rear end in a top hat as poodles tend to be, in fact they were both used as "therapy" dogs to calm down kids with behavioral problems. I can keep the cat sequestered in the living/dining room area (sliding partition) or on the other side of the house via baby gate that we already use to keep the dogs out of the other side of the house.

Hope quoting myself is OK. The time for the move is coming up quick and I need a bit of advice.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Coconut Indian posted:

Hope quoting myself is OK. The time for the move is coming up quick and I need a bit of advice.

Read cat intro post in the OP and try that, only always keep dog on leash during supervised interaction portion. Make sure cat has vertical space to get away from dog and probably you'll also need to sequester its food and litterbox somehow.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Cats are basically desert creatures, so he should be a lot more comfortable than you are. However, you can always lay out an ice pack for him that he can lay on if he gets hot. A lot of people use ceramic tiles and put them in the freezer so their animals have something cool to lay on during the summer.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Nione posted:

Yeah, Iggy's pain meds were 1 every 12 hours. At around the 10-11 hour mark he'd start grumping a bit and using the litter box more frequently. The vet told us that as he healed, his bladder was still very irritated and any urine in there at all would make it hurt. That's why when the pain killers wore off, he'd start using the box more frequently (trying to get rid of the teeny tiny amounts of pee) and yelling a bit. We kept him separate from the other cats so we could track how much he was peeing each day. We went through a week of grape to golfball sized pee clumps. But, as long as there WERE pee clumps, we were happy.

Good luck!

I watch him when he goes to the box, he is getting pee out, last night and this morning were a little larger than a grape I guess. But each time he does go back (I assume because irritation) after that its just a few drops at a time, I'm guessing that's because he doesn't really have much in there, just what is is causing him pain. My fiancee is home right now and says he's doing well, he ran up and rammed his face into hers to say good morning like he used to so that's a good sign.

Coconut Indian posted:

Maybe our cats aren't normal but they usually just avoid the new animal for a day or so and gradually just get used to them being there. If you're worried about it separating them for a while is a good idea, or at least when you're not there to supervise.

Lemony Fresh
Nov 4, 2009
I brought home a ragdoll kitten today, he's about 10 weeks old. He is terrified of everything! I tried playing with him, but he just runs away and is scared of the toys. He is even terrified of me! Right now he is hiding under the couch and won't budge.

I'm afraid that he will be one of those cats that hide and never come out. I've had those kinds of cats before, and I really didn't want another one like that. He is the complete opposite of my mom's ragdoll, that we got from the same lady. He was playful and not scared at all when he went home with her. I have no other cats or animals in the house with me. Is there anything I can do to help him not be so scared?

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

Lemony Fresh posted:

I brought home a ragdoll kitten today, he's about 10 weeks old. He is terrified of everything! I tried playing with him, but he just runs away and is scared of the toys. He is even terrified of me! Right now he is hiding under the couch and won't budge.

I'm afraid that he will be one of those cats that hide and never come out. I've had those kinds of cats before, and I really didn't want another one like that. He is the complete opposite of my mom's ragdoll, that we got from the same lady. He was playful and not scared at all when he went home with her. I have no other cats or animals in the house with me. Is there anything I can do to help him not be so scared?

It might be best to confine him to one room until he gets more confident. Spend a lot of time with him in the room, sitting at his level. Almost every cat requires some adjustment time. I have eight cats and regardless of how terrified they were when they first got here, they're all very relaxed around me now because I spend a lot of time interacting with them and being around them. Generally from what I've seen, the cats who never get over it are the ones that never get any real attention in the first place.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Pizza gets that way in the face of change. He becomes skittish, even slinking away from us who he knows and toys he loves. Give kitty time to settle down and decide he isn't going to die. Just be quietly in the room with him til he gets used to all the new sights.

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Serella posted:

Well, you've just guaranteed that your son will forever be a softie who could never be mean to an animal, so I'd say it's a good scenario playing out. :)

He's one of the most tender-hearted children I've ever had the pleasure of knowing anyway. He actually talks about becoming a vet, he loves all animals.

Elmer and Jasper ignoring each other in peace...

Jasper yowled and cried for a few hours when we went to bed. Until he realized he could claw his way up into my bed. From there, he promptly climbed up into my shirt and slept for a few hours between my boobs. I guess he was claiming his territory. I didn't know such a little kitten could have such an enormous purr/

Edit: Holy poo poo, Elmer looks like a monster next to Jasper. Honestly, Elmer is a normal sized adult. Now I want to put Jink next to the kitten..it would look like a fly sitting next to an airplane. :3:

Lemony Fresh
Nov 4, 2009
Thank you! I think he just needs time. He came out from under the couch earlier and played with the toy the breeder gave me. He's been meowing every time I leave the room, and even following me around. He still won't let me touch him and is terrified of any other toy except the laser pointer. He likes that :3:

A SWEATY FATBEARD
Oct 6, 2012

:buddy: GAY 4 ORGANS :buddy:
I'm adopting an adult cat that's blind in one eye. Apart from screening my windows, anything else I should be aware of? She's about a year old, had a litter of healthy kittens (all of which quickly found new homes), she's been treated for parasites and spayed after the kittens were weaned.

Got several brands of food, bought metal dishes, cat tree/scratching post, malt paste for hairballs, and several crinkly toys.

I'm also a longtime PI lurker; the foster lady said I could get a PhD in Cats. :)
Anyway this kitty's gonna be my first indoor cat so I'm kinda freaking out. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna spring for a pet carrier/transporter.

So this is Cordy:

I actually want her to wake me up every morning in order to get me to feed her... I'm a very sound sleeper and alarm clocks routinely fail to wake me up. :D

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Lemony Fresh posted:

Thank you! I think he just needs time. He came out from under the couch earlier and played with the toy the breeder gave me. He's been meowing every time I leave the room, and even following me around. He still won't let me touch him and is terrified of any other toy except the laser pointer. He likes that :3:

Yeah he's just getting used to you and the new place he has found himself in. Just hang out and 'ignore' him, he'll come to you before long.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

I actually want her to wake me up every morning in order to get me to feed her... I'm a very sound sleeper and alarm clocks routinely fail to wake me up. :D

Best thing to do is always feed him at a certain time. After a few weeks he will annoy the gently caress out of you

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I found an abandoned kitten that I think is about 5-6 weeks old. It isn't weened though, but will eat the kitten milk we give it out of a saucer. It was pretty beat up and dirty when we found it, and very thin. This was a day and a half ago and and it's much more active now and is constantly hungry. We are planning on taking it to a vet on Monday. My question is, how long before I should worry about it not pooping? I haven't seen it pee or poop yet, although frankly he may have wizzed on the carpet and I didn't see it.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
If it's that young you may need to stimulate its butt to make it go. With like a damp cloth.

Lemony Fresh
Nov 4, 2009
Here is the new kitten. He's unnamed as of right now, but we are thinking of naming him Loki.

He slept between my boyfriend and I last night. It was adorable! He is still afraid of hands, especially when we are standing up and walking around. When we are sitting/laying down he seems to be okay with hands and us touching him. All toys are scary right now still, but I'm hoping he will start playing with them soon. He likes to play with random lint/dust that he somehow finds but of course the awesome toys I bought are scary!

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Huntersoninski posted:

If it's that young you may need to stimulate its butt to make it go. With like a damp cloth.

I've tried for a few minutes to no avail. Also he squirms and fights it. I figured 5 or 6 weeks was old enough to start poopin on their own.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Lemony Fresh posted:

Here is the new kitten. He's unnamed as of right now, but we are thinking of naming him Loki.

He slept between my boyfriend and I last night. It was adorable! He is still afraid of hands, especially when we are standing up and walking around. When we are sitting/laying down he seems to be okay with hands and us touching him. All toys are scary right now still, but I'm hoping he will start playing with them soon. He likes to play with random lint/dust that he somehow finds but of course the awesome toys I bought are scary!

Get Da Bird. http://www.amazon.com/Da-Bird-Cat-Toy-Store/dp/B000F9JJJE

For its price, it can be a great toy that will tire the kitty out and also give you lots of laughs.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

I've tried for a few minutes to no avail. Also he squirms and fights it. I figured 5 or 6 weeks was old enough to start poopin on their own.

Just for reference concerning his age, here's a picture of him. Is he younger than 5 weeks?

edit: Welp he pooped, nevermind I guess.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 8, 2013

Absolute Evil
Aug 25, 2008

Jasper has claimed his "spot", the 3rd level of the cat tree. He is now ready to be worshipped...

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

So I have the money to buy a fountain. I also have a male cat with a decent thirst drive. Unfortunately, said cat has never seen a fountain. How easy is to to get a cat to drink from a fountain?

Ai has stubby legs and a short face. Ai also never learned how to drink properly. He usually dips his whole face in the bowl and just kind of... gets water. I am looking at the Drinkwell fountains since they're set low to the ground but the units themselves look rather large. How quiet are they and is the Platinum version significantly ($20) better than the Original version?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Endless Mike posted:

What's the recommended flea treatment? I haven't been using any on Shadow because I lived well above ground level until recently when I moved into a ground level apartment. He's indoor only and doesn't have fleas, but I know they're a lot easier to bring in or even find their own way in and want to make sure he doesn't get them.

Call your vet and ask. Immunities to certain brands vary and vets are on the up and up on what is and isn't working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

mistressminako posted:

So I have the money to buy a fountain. I also have a male cat with a decent thirst drive. Unfortunately, said cat has never seen a fountain. How easy is to to get a cat to drink from a fountain?

Some cats just get it, others don't. My parents have a cat who loves his fountain when previously he wouldn't drink from a bowl and instead sucked on their taps. I bought a fountain for my own cats but they hated it and never ever used it no matter what I did. Luckily, once I worked out that the bowl itself was fine but the location was off (they won't drink from a bowl by their food) they have both been champion bowl drinkers.