Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fabricating claims and pressing de jure claims are your easiest to use and most boring way of expanding. Marry a princess and murder your way through her family instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
I'm playing as the Petty Kingdom of Munster, and after 20 years I managed to add the entirety of Munster to my personal demesne, captured the Duchy of Leinster and gave the title of Duke of Leinster to a cousin. But for some reason that cousin got both the county of Ossory and the county of Leinster when I handed him the Duchy title.

I think that's a bit too much personal power for one duke to have right now, so if I revoke his title to the county of Ossory and hand it to another cousin who I then make a direct vassal of the Duke of Leinster, I won't have to deal with the Count of Ossory directly but I'll still get the same amount of levies and taxes as if I just let the Duke of Leinster have both counties, right?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Exactly one year ago, France/Aquitaine/The Low Countries/Burgundy/Italy and pretty much all of Germany were a united Lotharingia.

Unfortunitely, Lothar had six daughters...with gavelkind. One assassination later!

P.S. No Decadence wars is pretty funny, both the Ummayads and Abbasids are at like 90+% now and going up.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The nice thing about playing the Byzantines is knowing this: For all the trouble the Abbasids/Fatimids/Seljuk are giving you, you know that in time the game will throw the biggest "gently caress you" at them and you can watch them being slaughtered by the Mongols.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

The Karlings in my game won't stop making new kingdom titles, and won't switch away from Gavelkind. Not that I'm complaining; the personal union of East and West Francia was way harder to deal with than the current perpetual warzone of seven different Carolingian kings*.

It's 905, and the Christians aren't doing so well. Aside from the Karling Fratricide Extravaganza, the Basileus is an Iconoclast and wrestling with realm implosion, the last slivers of Christian Spain are set to fracture into bits when the current King dies, and Harald Fairhair has become the God-Emperor Fylkir of the reformed Norse and Emperor of Scandanavia. Pretty much the only success stories for Jesus are Wessex managing to still be alive, plus Scotland actually kicking the crap out of Ivar's children and taking nearly all of its de jure territory back. I'm guessing they'll bounce back a little once the big kings stop having claims on each other and the slavs start converting?

Side note: where does the word "Fylkir" come from? Googling it just brings up CKII chat and some Icelandic soccer club.

*Kingdoms of East Francia, West Francia, Lotharingia, Bavaria, Aquitaine, Italy, and the Sultanate of Burgundy

Goon Danton fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 7, 2013

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Strudel Man posted:

emperor_roman;Imperator;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_female_roman;Imperatrix;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

This should say Augustus instead. Caesar would be king level/the heir.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
My old spymaster died and I found an unmarried woman with 23 intrigue off in another country. I married her to a random courtier and now she's in my court, but it won't let me choose her as spymaster, what gives :(

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Torrannor posted:

The nice thing about playing the Byzantines is knowing this: For all the trouble the Abbasids/Fatimids/Seljuk are giving you, you know that in time the game will throw the biggest "gently caress you" at them and you can watch them being slaughtered by the Mongols.

In my game the Golden Horde melted away and there's just a monstrous Sunni Ilkhanate with 100k doomstacks on my doorstep. :gonk: If I can get the Rus on my side, I might try to start chipping away at them. That, or hope the beta patch bringing back decadence wars will split them.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

My old spymaster died and I found an unmarried woman with 23 intrigue off in another country. I married her to a random courtier and now she's in my court, but it won't let me choose her as spymaster, what gives :(

Unmodded, it has to be your wife or mother. Download girl power.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Holy poo poo vanilla is unbalanced :stare: I was playing Byzantium in the old gods start and the übermensch Emperor lived to be 79 and mended the great schism. I went for a powerful vassals strategy and made an elective Anatolia which I gave to a competent Duke, he managed to holy war his way across the east and take Antioch, while I secured the de jure parts of Italy and gave it to my son. At 72 I decided to go all in and took Alexandria and Jerusalem, my son being a real bro took Rome in the meanwhile and a short war with the king of Italy gave me the castle in Rome too. The great schism is now mended, my dynasty has been maneuvered into Bulgaria, Byzantium is more powerful than ever but the Emperor just died.

Now his son has inherited and I intend to press my nephews claim on Italy and reclaim the Roman Empire.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
In my first huge Scandinavian empire Norse game, Europe just looks ridiculous. The Abbasids own all of West Africa, Arabia, Iberia and France and are therefore impenetrable. the Byzantines conquered right up to Holland before fragmenting into a hideous patchwork of warring states, so Orthodox christianity is the dominant religion in most of Europe. The Pope only owns about three random bishoprics and his moral authority is less than 20. The only significant Catholic concentration is on the British Isles, which is owned by Fraticellis and is in the process of being converted. All of what used to be Lotharingia/East Francia is Cathar. The map is just a goddam mess. Is this normal? Obviously things can and do go totally off the rails, but I never expected to see the total collapse of Catholicism by the mid 12th Century, and the Muslim states seem horribly overpowered at the Old Gods startdate.

Rejected Fate posted:

Is there a console command that allows you to change capital freely?

Also, it says you can't change capitals more than once per ruler unless it is to the traditional capital. Is there any way of telling exactly which provinces are these 'traditional capitals'? I mean, it's easy enough to work out with areas you're personally familiar with, but otherwise not so much.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

So playing as Aragon I've taken half of what I need to form the empire of Espania in my first lifetime, I'm belove by everyone and can raise one of the biggest armies in the world. There's only one problem. Im 75 years old and my heir has decided to become a craven piece of poo poo. His son is craven. His grandson is 2 years old. His brother was my best general but he died. I put all of his other brothers in the church! Do I tank my reputation and start killing my children wholesale, and then revoke a bishopric to try and get a half decent heir into power? Then crush a few rebellions and release their leaders? That's the only thing I can think of that's not going to leave my entire kingdom in shambles.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
The 25 year old king of Sweden, his 3 year old male heir and then the 2 year old female heir all died in mysterious accidents. within 4 months.

Ignoring the fact that said heirs were also my grandchildren, I didn't even have anything to do with the last one!

Now Sweden is falling apart and maybe I can get the Jarldom I've deserved for FORTY BLOODY YEARS OF FIGHTING FOR YOU YOU rear end in a top hat.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Wezlar posted:

So playing as Aragon I've taken half of what I need to form the empire of Espania in my first lifetime, I'm belove by everyone and can raise one of the biggest armies in the world. There's only one problem. Im 75 years old and my heir has decided to become a craven piece of poo poo. His son is craven. His grandson is 2 years old. His brother was my best general but he died. I put all of his other brothers in the church! Do I tank my reputation and start killing my children wholesale, and then revoke a bishopric to try and get a half decent heir into power? Then crush a few rebellions and release their leaders? That's the only thing I can think of that's not going to leave my entire kingdom in shambles.

Roll with it, prepare to go into damage control mode, rebuild when you see an opportunity.

Dealing with disastrous successions is half the fun of this game, really.

Tank Sinatra
Dec 26, 2012
What do people think of starting as the Duke of Bohemia? I just got the game a couple days ago, picked him, and it's going pretty well.

I managed to king-up with my first guy, and I've since grabbed the Duchies of Austria and Meissen. I'm about to start working on Bavaria, and my ultimate goal is to be Emperor.

The biggest problem I've had is that I seem to be stuck with gavelkind, and I recently got out of a huge civil war where both my brothers/co-Dukes declared against me. I had to make peace with the guy holding the last duchy of Austria I don't have, and then I blew all my money on mercenaries since the back-stabbers had me outnumbered.

I won, but after realizing that I could strip my brothers only of their duchies and not any of their counties, I had them both executed. So I'm not real popular (Tyrant -70!), but things are under control now. The money's rolling in, my levies are getting bigger, and as long as my one son stays alive and manages to reproduce, I should be OK.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Riso posted:

This should say Augustus instead. Caesar would be king level/the heir.

Imperator works. The Romans never really did settle on a single title. Caesar's best suited for prince, imo, since later on that was the title given to the sub-emperor who was going to wear the purple after the current emperor's death. 'Vicarius' might work for king or duke level if you were trying to go for a later Roman feel, but that title only really works within the Roman Empire-- 'Rex' would work better for a king-level Roman independent of the Empire for whatever reason. 'Dux' and 'Comes' are direct translations of duke and count, respectively, but if you want to get finicky there's several ways you could go.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
So i had this vassal who has two counties. These two counties form a duchy, but the title wasn't created when he got them. After i created the title, if i give it to him, he becomes independent. Why is that? /confused.new.player

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mordieth posted:

So i had this vassal who has two counties. These two counties form a duchy, but the title wasn't created when he got them. After i created the title, if i give it to him, he becomes independent. Why is that? /confused.new.player

He cannot create a duke-level title if he's the vassal of a duke. If you, as a duke, create the title and give it to your count vassal, your vassal becomes an independent duke, because a duke cannot have a duke as a vassal.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Reading up on some Norse (semi-legendary)history I like this person:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigrid_the_Haughty

"As widow of Eric the Victorious, she held many great estates, and was living with her son Olav the Swede, when her foster-brother Harald Grenske, a king in Vestfold sought her hand. She had him and another royal wooer, Vissavald of Gardarik, burned to death in a great hall following a feast to discourage other suitors. :supaburn:

Her hand was next sought by Olaf Trygvasson, the king of Norway, but he would have required that she convert to Christianity. She told him to his face, "I will not part from the faith which my forefathers have kept before me". In a rage, Olaf struck her with a glove, and Sigrid calmly told him, "This may some day be thy death". :catstare: Sigrid then proceeded to create a coalition of his enemies to bring about his downfall. She allied Sweden with Denmark, marrying the widower Sweyn Forkbeard who had already been feuding with Olaf. Swein had sent his sister Tyri to marry the Wendish king Burislav, who had been father of Swein's first wife, Gunhild. Tyri fled and married Olaf, goading him into conflict with her brother, while Sigrid inflamed Swein against her former suitor. This shared animosity would lead to the Battle of Swold, in which Olaf fell." :thumbsup:

Lagartha the shieldmaiden was pretty rad too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagertha

"Impressed with her courage, Ragnar courted her from afar. Lagertha feigned interest and Ragnar arrived to seek her hand, bidding his companions wait in the Gaular valley. He was set upon by a bear and a great hound which Lagertha had guarding her home, but killed the bear with his spear and choked the hound to death. Thus he won the hand of Lagertha in marriage."

"but upon returning to Denmark was again faced with a civil war. He sent to Norway for support, and Lagertha, who still loved him, came to his aid with 120 ships, according to Saxo.[2] When at the height of the battle, Ragnar's son Siward was wounded, Lagertha saved the day for Ragnar with a counterattack:

"Ladgerda, who had a matchless spirit though a delicate frame, covered by her splendid bravery the inclination of the soldiers to waver. For she made a sally about, and flew round to the rear of the enemy, taking them unawares, and thus turned the panic of her friends into the camp of the enemy.""

"Upon returning to Norway, she quarreled with her husband, and slew him with a spearhead she concealed in her gown. Saxo concludes that she then "usurped the whole of his name and sovereignty; for this most presumptuous dame thought it pleasanter to rule without her husband than to share the throne with him"."

Also, someone should totally mod in this decision/execution style for some Blot Variety:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_eagle

"It was performed by cutting the ribs of the victim by the spine, breaking the ribs so they resembled blood-stained wings, and pulling the lungs out through the wounds in the victim's back. Salt was sprinkled in the wounds." :gonk:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 7, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Is there an overflow problem or whatever with Prestige? I've been spending the last few years or so tearing this two-duchy Duke's demesne/realm since he has random counties and baronies everywhere, plus a successful invasion of Sweden (that didn't get him the crown so he still remained as my vassal). After revoking one of his duchies and 2 or so counties through the revokation plot + free traitor revokation, I noticed by 18k prestige went down to 9k, and it's like exactly 10k prestige vanished since the 9k would've been the right amount after all my wars with him.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

toasterwarrior posted:

Is there an overflow problem or whatever with Prestige? I've been spending the last few years or so tearing this two-duchy Duke's demesne/realm since he has random counties and baronies everywhere, plus a successful invasion of Sweden (that didn't get him the crown so he still remained as my vassal). After revoking one of his duchies and 2 or so counties through the revokation plot + free traitor revokation, I noticed by 18k prestige went down to 9k, and it's like exactly 10k prestige vanished since the 9k would've been the right amount after all my wars with him.

Not that I've seen - that sounds like you may have broken a truce, as that halves your prestige.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Trauma Tank posted:

Not that I've seen - that sounds like you may have broken a truce, as that halves your prestige.

poo poo, you're right. Activating the plot didn't warn me, but I guess I ought to credit that to Paradox for anticipating my antics.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Kol, my daughter-heir's husband, formed a company of soldiers to go carve himself and his wife their own piece of land. I respected that, like you do, with the caveat that my daughter return to her birthright.

When I next checked in on Kol, he was on the other side of Europe as a courtier for a duke on the fringe of Italy. He hated the Duke. Why? THE DUKE HAD BLINDED HIM.

This makes the prompt I got when informed they were leaving to carve out their own piece of land being 'Good luck with that.' even better, somehow. (I invite them both back to my court. They accepted.)

Edit: Kol is now my spymaster because he still has 19 intrigue even while blind.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ofaloaf posted:

Imperator works. The Romans never really did settle on a single title. Caesar's best suited for prince, imo, since later on that was the title given to the sub-emperor who was going to wear the purple after the current emperor's death. 'Vicarius' might work for king or duke level if you were trying to go for a later Roman feel, but that title only really works within the Roman Empire-- 'Rex' would work better for a king-level Roman independent of the Empire for whatever reason. 'Dux' and 'Comes' are direct translations of duke and count, respectively, but if you want to get finicky there's several ways you could go.
'Princeps'. The Emperor's title was Princeps.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
So what would be the greek equivalents of counts, dukes, kings, and emps?

Tank Sinatra
Dec 26, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

That was one of them, and apparently only for a couple hundred years. If you're looking for one title, go with Augustus.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

CapnAndy posted:

But from the 3rd century on it was Dominus.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Schizotek posted:

So what would be the greek equivalents of counts, dukes, kings, and emps?
I don't know greek, but the Roman equivalent should be Quaestor, Praetor, Consul, Princeps.

Tank Sinatra posted:

That was one of them, and apparently only for a couple hundred years. If you're looking for one title, go with Augustus.

Morholt posted:

But from the 3rd century on it was Dominus.
Augustus Caesar best Caesar :colbert: Princeps is badass, it just means First Citizen. Augustus had so much loving power he got to pretend he didn't have any power at all.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So I've managed to take over Norway as the jarls of Iceland, and scattered my dynasty all over the kingdom by revoking the various upstart vassals who dared to revolt against their new Icelandic kings. While the kingdom is now no longer in any danger of fracturing due to Gavelkind, my successor was a sort of weakling who had to abdicate the throne to his younger brother, and is now living out his days in the family's ancestral home in Vestisland, as a vassal of the High Chief of Iceland. The dynasty is safe as Kings of Norway, but I'd still like to work back up to being a king again.

How should I start? I've never actually stabbed my way to victory before, I'd always done it through declaring independence and working my way back through conquest.

Pimpmust posted:

Also, someone should totally mod in this decision/execution style for some Blot Variety:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_eagle

"It was performed by cutting the ribs of the victim by the spine, breaking the ribs so they resembled blood-stained wings, and pulling the lungs out through the wounds in the victim's back. Salt was sprinkled in the wounds." :gonk:

I can do that! How about a special decision if you have a prisoner and are zealous/cruel/wroth/impaler ? Sort of the Viking version of the Byzantine castrate/blind.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Retried another 867 Romuva start with the beta patch. Surprise, it's doable, and actually quite fun.

Start out as Lithuania (House of Palemonaitis). Keep your chancellor on the duchy of Zemaitja or however you spell it, and keep your ally's opinion of you high. Then drag him into all of your wars and steamroll all the costal Lithuania cores before the Norse get them. Then say gently caress you to your ally and subjugate his gullible rear end. Form Lithuania and push to Bryansk ASAP before the Russians get any stronger.

I managed to form Lithuania in my first dude's lifetime, but I got bumped down to duke of Lithuania in the first succession crisis, which ended up in favor of my infant brother. Like most of my problems, this was solved with a sharp knife and a little cash :black101:

Once you grab all the holy sites, you're pretty much unstoppable. I had four prepared invasions sent against me and those didn't even put a dent in me. Another tip, don't execute invaders; banish them. You get ~400 gold each time for your batshit insane merc slush fund.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

A Steam only beta patch? The tears over at the Paradox forums must be over following

"Thanks for supporting gamersgate purchases guys. Unbelievable. Steam giving you guys kick-backs too?"

patchthread.txt

Tank Sinatra
Dec 26, 2012
It kind of depends on what time period we're talking about, especially as far as the lower offices go. I mean, quaestor and consul and all that crap - those weren't the important offices past a fairly early point.

As for the Emperor himself, Augustus is the one term that covers all of them. From Augustus to Diocletian to Heraclius, they all called themselves Augustus (Greek equivalent Sebastos, although it looks like Basileus supplants that at some point). It's a better, more inclusive title than Imperator or Princeps or whatever.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know greek, but the Roman equivalent should be Quaestor, Praetor, Consul, Princeps.

Random google source is telling me, from baron to emp, Hippotis, Komis, Archon, Vasilefs, and Basileus.

Anyone with a schmidgen of greek historical knowledge wanna tell me how terrible these are?

e: I'm also getting "Anax" for king.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 7, 2013

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Tank Sinatra posted:

It kind of depends on what time period we're talking about, especially as far as the lower offices go. I mean, quaestor and consul and all that crap - those weren't the important offices past a fairly early point.

As for the Emperor himself, Augustus is the one term that covers all of them. From Augustus to Diocletian to Heraclius, they all called themselves Augustus (Greek equivalent Sebastos, although it looks like Basileus supplants that at some point). It's a better, more inclusive title than Imperator or Princeps or whatever.

poo poo son, I need a list of stuff to toss into text files until my game breaks. I have no idea what I'm doing, but dammit, I'm going to conquer Europe as the Romans one way or another.

One thing I can't bullshit my way through though, is graphics. Like CoAs, kingdom sigils, empire sigils, trait emblems.

I suppose the Mediterranean faces are what a Roman Culture would use?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Oh god it looks like the Seljuks decided to ape the golden horde instead of smashing themselves against the gigantic caliphate. :gonk:

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

Okay, my first PC has become the king of Norway and Sweden, and controls three of the five Norse holy sites. I want to reform paganism, but I don't have the 50% church authority. How do I improve that?

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Annath posted:

poo poo son, I need a list of stuff to toss into text files until my game breaks. I have no idea what I'm doing, but dammit, I'm going to conquer Europe as the Romans one way or another.

One thing I can't bullshit my way through though, is graphics. Like CoAs, kingdom sigils, empire sigils, trait emblems.

I suppose the Mediterranean faces are what a Roman Culture would use?

I would just go with the default Christian CoA for now, unless you want to make your life difficult. Hopefully someone who isn't poo poo at graphical design can whip up some toga clothing for the portraits. Also, Roman culture is already in the game (with Mediterranean faces :barf:) and has a lot of names/etc. I can crap up some specific traits or shields if you want!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Is there a way to keep what I conquer? I caused enough civil wars in Scotland that they could field about 500 guys, so I went in and occupied half the country. When I accepted peace, though, I only got the one county I had challenged for. I'm finding it problematic to casus belli "Claim Scotland" since they only have male toddlers running the place.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

uh zip zoom posted:

Okay, my first PC has become the king of Norway and Sweden, and controls three of the five Norse holy sites. I want to reform paganism, but I don't have the 50% church authority. How do I improve that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekUDT5w7buo&t=38s

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I think Paradox may have already chosen "Augustus" doing a little digging around the history files.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread