Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Zeitgueist posted:

I don't believe this is even addressed at all in the mains series, but it looks like it is in the new trilogy starting with Forge of Darkness.

Oh, dang, I didn't know that. I knew it took place way in the past, but a focus on elder gods? That is super rad. I'm working through Return of the Crimson Guard right now, and it's actually kind of impressive how much ICE's writing improved from Night of Knives to this one. Still not too sure where the plot is going, but I've liked what I've read so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Zeitgueist posted:

I don't believe this is even addressed at all in the mains series, but it looks like it is in the new trilogy starting with Forge of Darkness.

Which is pretty much the reason for my current reread. I didn't want to get into Gods 101 and not recognize anything.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

apophenium posted:

Oh, dang, I didn't know that. I knew it took place way in the past, but a focus on elder gods? That is super rad. I'm working through Return of the Crimson Guard right now, and it's actually kind of impressive how much ICE's writing improved from Night of Knives to this one. Still not too sure where the plot is going, but I've liked what I've read so far.

It's not so much explicitly a trilogy about elder gods, that I can tell. However, at lots of point sin MBotF, stuff that happened huge amounts of time in the past is referenced. The Kharkhanas trilogy covers that past. Some of that is elder gods, some of that is Tiste, some of that is warrens.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

apophenium posted:

Yeah I don't think it's really focused on the gods, just on what happened a long time ago with the Tiste, etc... But as a consequence, I understand you find out bits about elder gods.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

Urko mentions after seeing them move he had been going about the rebuilding of the skeleton all wrong and would need to knock the wall down and start again from what I remember.

Yeah, but that was just from the way they were standing and balancing their weight that he realized his big lizard would probably have a similar stance. I don't think - I could be wrong, though I don't think there's anything that makes it explicit - that they were KCCM. Just small lizard corpses they found that stand on two legs like birds do. Or some dinosaurs. Or KCCM. But I got the impression that they were just small lizard corpses.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

So after a while away from the series I just picked up the Forge of Darkness and so far it's been really good. The first meeting between Rake and Brood was worth the price of admission for me.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Blurb is up for Assail, the next (and apparently final?) ICE novel:

quote:

About this Book
The final chapter in the awesome, epic story of the Malazan empire.
Tens of thousands of years of ice is melting, and the land of Assail, long a byword for menace and inaccessibility, is at last yielding its secrets. Tales of gold discovered in the region's north circulate in every waterfront dive and sailor's tavern and now countless adventurers and fortune-seekers have set sail in search of riches. All these adveturers have to guide them are legends and garbled tales of the dangers that lie in wait -- hostile coasts, fields of ice, impassable barriers and strange, terrifying creatures. But all accounts concur that the people of the north meet all trespassers with the sword. And beyond are rumoured to lurk Elder monsters out of history's very beginnings. Into this turmoil ventures the mercenary company, the Crimson Guard. Not drawn by contract, but by the promise of answers: answers to mysteries that Shimmer, second in command, wonders should even be sought. Arriving also, part of an uneasy alliance of Malazan fortune-hunters and Letherii soldiery, comes the bard Fisher kel Tath. And with him is a Tiste Andii who was found washed ashore and who cannot remember his past life, yet who commands far more power than he really should. Also venturing north is said to be a mighty champion, a man who once fought for the Malazans, the bearer of a sword that slays gods: Whiteblade.

And lastly, far to the south, a woman guards the shore awaiting both her allies and her enemies. Silverfox, newly incarnated Summoner of the undying army of the T'lan Imass, will do anything to stop the renewal of an ages-old crusade that could lay waste to the entire continent and beyond. Casting light on mysteries spanning the Malazan empire, and offering a glimpse of the storied and epic history that shaped it, Assail is the final chapter in the epic story of the Empire of Malaz.

Source

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Just what we needed, another 'Traveller' type character.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Yeah, I really wish ICE would stop with all that mysterious stranger bullshit. Kallor in Blood, Bone and Jungle was just sooo lame. Still, the whole book was a real let down. Throne, Sceptre, Orb had the same problem with Malachai etc etc...

It's really annoying and lazy.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

dishwasherlove posted:

My hunch is that the 'mighty champion' is Traveller, since he's been in most of the other ICE books and fits that (very vague) description.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

dishwasherlove posted:

That seems pretty obviously to actually be Traveller.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

It's loving Kyle, dudes. Last we saw of him he was going home to Assail after fighting with the Malazans using a white-bladed sword. And 'Traveller' is currently occupied with (Orb Scepter Thorne ending spoilers) leading the Seguleh.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Kyle seems really boring so far in Return of the Crimson Guard. Make me care about him, ICE, drat you!

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
By all accounts Kyle has a great set of mustachios

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well, I wasn't expecting Dust of Dreams to end how it did. I'm rather glad there is no wait to read The Crippled God.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

apophenium posted:

Kyle seems really boring so far in Return of the Crimson Guard. Make me care about him, ICE, drat you!

I'm near the end of the book and it reads like a transcribed campaign, complete with characters dropping in and out because their player couldn't make it this week. Also, Kyle turns up in my head like a young, gay biker John Travolta who is allergic to asking questions or something, I dunno.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

rejutka posted:

I'm near the end of the book and it reads like a transcribed campaign, complete with characters dropping in and out because their player couldn't make it this week. Also, Kyle turns up in my head like a young, gay biker John Travolta who is allergic to asking questions or something, I dunno.

Oh there, was a bit of a throwaway scene earlier in the book. Chapter 3 I think. About a Primogenatrix and someone saying something about Jaghut. It seemed really out of place... Does that get fleshed out a bit later on? I gotta admit I had no idea what was going on in that scene, nor did I get its relevance.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
That seems like set-up for a later book. The Primogenatrix was the bit where some Crimson Guard busted the gently caress out of magic underground prison jail with stone shields and other badass poo poo, no?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

rejutka posted:

That seems like set-up for a later book. The Primogenatrix was the bit where some Crimson Guard busted the gently caress out of magic underground prison jail with stone shields and other badass poo poo, no?

Yeah it was totally rad, but I just couldn't put it into context much with the rest of the stuff, other than Crimson Guard.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

apophenium posted:

Yeah it was totally rad, but I just couldn't put it into context much with the rest of the stuff, other than Crimson Guard.

The call went out amongst the Brethren and the old crew is getting back together (or trying to). I presume it'll be touched on in later ICE books. Still not enough Iron Bars, mind.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

I'm going to be starting my first reread tomorrow, and I intend to try my hand at blogging the experience. Is there a good wiki or reference available on the Internet for me to get things straight as I read? I've already read through once, so I'm not terribly concerned about spoilers, but it would be handy to have something to keep me from getting lost in all the words.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

uh zip zoom posted:

I'm going to be starting my first reread tomorrow, and I intend to try my hand at blogging the experience. Is there a good wiki or reference available on the Internet for me to get things straight as I read? I've already read through once, so I'm not terribly concerned about spoilers, but it would be handy to have something to keep me from getting lost in all the words.

Follow Tor's reread?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Reading Return of the Crimson Guard will have been worth it just for the scene of Surly kicking rear end. Still can't say I'm 100% with Esslemont's writing. He seems to depend a lot on regular old swears (poo poo, gently caress) a lot more than Erickson. It kind of takes me out of it a bit.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm about half-way through Stonewielder at the moment and it is a pretty marked improvement over Crimson Guard. Still the occasional brain fart but they tend to be a half paragraph, tops. Plus a guaranteed hilarious character.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Leospeare posted:

Blurb is up for Assail, the next (and apparently final?) ICE novel:

Source

Finally.
Both for finding out about Assail, and for the final novel by ICE . One can hope at least
I've been literally waiting 10 years to find out what happened to Silverfox and the T'lan Imass.
They just disappear at the end of aMoI and are not seen for the rest of the series.

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Illuyankas posted:

It's loving Kyle, dudes. Last we saw of him he was going home to Assail after fighting with the Malazans using a white-bladed sword. And 'Traveller' is currently occupied with (Orb Scepter Thorne ending spoilers) leading the Seguleh.

Yeah, it's Kyle. He has Osserc's sword though I never felt like he was a 'mighty champion.'

Kyle is probably the most interesting character in Stonewielder after being horribly boring in RotCG, though, likely because he was described from other characters' points of view. Stonewielder is probably the most disappointing Malazan book.

The Crimson Guard has never stopped being boring. I find it really hard to care about them. Also, ICE usually has at least one plot in every book that goes nowhere, has no real connection to the rest of the book, and could be completely cut without losing anything (the army in the jungle, the half Thel Akai in Stonewielder, OST is the best ICE book and doesn't reall suffer from this as much)

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
OST suffers instead from the fact that nothing makes sense and barely anything about the main plot is explained. ICE would rather play coy about who various characters are and what they are doing.

Seriously what the gently caress is the Tyrant?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

bigmcgaffney posted:

OST suffers instead from the fact that nothing makes sense and barely anything about the main plot is explained. ICE would rather play coy about who various characters are and what they are doing.

Seriously what the gently caress is the Tyrant?

The Jaghut Tyrant like from GotM?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

apophenium posted:

The Jaghut Tyrant like from GotM?

Nah, the BAFTA Tyrant almost certainly isn't a Jaghut.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
Isn't the Tyrant from GOTM the cool Jaghut in that house thing from now on? Reese, Reose, Rose.. something or other

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Raestes. I love Jaghuts and their sense of humour.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I've yet to meet a Jaghut I didn't like.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
drat this thread. I was looking for something new to read and picked up the first book on a chance, and have just finished the second. Both started slow (though the second less), with me pushing myself the first half of each and then being unable to stop reading for the last three or four hundred pages. I've been staying up at all hours of the night poring over each branching plotline, getting a few hours of sleep each night because of it. By the end of Deadhouse Gates I was as goddamn emotionally invested in Coltaine's march as the historian was, and those scenes interspersed with Kalam's pirate ship adventures and assassin wars through the streets of Malaz City was baller as hell.

The ending to the second book seemed really abrupt, though. Each group spends the better part of the book in pursuit of their destination, both Fiddler and Kalam to Malaz City, Duiker to Aren, and Felisin to who cares. And then, upon reaching these places things that seem incredibly important seem to start happening very quickly without any of the drawn-out, lingering moments that the rest of the book thrives on. The Empress essentially info-dumps Kalam in the span of a couple of pages, and then Fiddler's group arrives and then they literally all get teleported by a deus ex machina who essentially says "Oh hey guys have your various happy endings I guess!"

I mean, maybe there's more to it in later books, but Gardens of the Moon (though obviously rougher in terms of basic writing) wraps up most of it's plotlines very nicely while spending a few scenes setting up all the sequel-bait. Deadhouse Gates does this a little, particularly with the Felisin v. Tavore setup that I have a hard time feeling strongly about but mostly it just seems like the author hit page 700 and went "Oh drat this book is getting long as fuuuck, better start wrapping this poo poo up." I would love to be told I'm wrong without any overt spoilers, though it's forgivable enough; I'm willing to give a lot of leeway to a series with lore that seemingly runs so deep and multi-layered that it makes the usual fantasy players look like babytown frolics.

I already have Memories of Ice ready to go; I was a little disheartened by reading the cast list at the beginning to see Kruppe remains conspicuously absent, however :(

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Kruppe is in Memories of Ice with some really memorable scenes, and while I really liked all of Deadhouse Gates any disappointments will be forgotten once you get to Memories of Ice because it is amazing and probably most people's favorite novel of the series.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Wolfsheim posted:

I would love to be told I'm wrong without any overt spoilers, though it's forgivable enough; I'm willing to give a lot of leeway to a series with lore that seemingly runs so deep and multi-layered that it makes the usual fantasy players look like babytown frolics.

Basically, most of the book shave 1 or 2 story lines that are central to the book, and a host of others that may or may not be resolved anytime soon. The Chain of Dogs is really the primary storyline of that novel, and that does have appropriate climax and tragic ending. The Felisin storyline continues on, and Fiddler is a main protagonist who's story continues through the entire series.

quote:

I already have Memories of Ice ready to go; I was a little disheartened by reading the cast list at the beginning to see Kruppe remains conspicuously absent, however :(

You'll have to learn to deal with characters you like disappearing for entire books. It's just how the author rolls.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
I've started reading Return of the Crimson Guard in an attempt to get through the ICE novels. I read Night of Knives a few years ago and didn't really get the criticism directed at ICE. Granted, it was mediocre compared to any of Erikson's work, but it didn't strike me as actively bad the way it apparently did a lot of people. RotCG on the other hand is just downright brutal in spots, and most of the rest is quite dull. Really the only parts that are interesting so far are the scenes that involve Malazans (especially those wacky, irreverent marines.) If I weren't already invested in the series due to Erikson's books this might be only be the second fantasy series that I would stop reading after one book due to disinterest (the first being Wheel of Time.)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Try and stick with it if you can. It's got a pretty good ending at the very least and some consequential stuff happens that doesn't get revealed in Erikson's series. I also wasn't as enthusiastic about RotCG as some other people are here when I read it, but I found Stonewielder to be another step up for ICE in terms of writing and I'd rate Orb, Scepter, Throne as one of the better books in the entire Malazan series.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I took a short break between reading Dust of Dreams and starting The Crippled God. I can't remember the specifics in the final battle for some reason though. Can anyone sum it up for me? I remember The K'chain Nahruk attacking and Ruthan Gudd doing something. Quick Ben trying to attack knowing he'd fail and something involving Icarium but my mind is really blank on it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

The Crimson Guard has never stopped being boring. I find it really hard to care about them. Also, ICE usually has at least one plot in every book that goes nowhere, has no real connection to the rest of the book, and could be completely cut without losing anything (the army in the jungle, the half Thel Akai in Stonewielder, OST is the best ICE book and doesn't reall suffer from this as much)

Yeah the Crimson Guard were really squandered on ICE, they seemed so interesting on the surface reading about them in Erikson's books, Bars was great for example and then became utter poo poo in the ICE stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Holy poo poo, just finished Memories of Ice. I gotta be honest, the first 2 books were pretty good but they weren't "the greatest thing I've ever read" or anything. Memories of Ice though, wow, what an amazing book. I really feel like there was just a point, sometime after the battle of Capustan where Steven Erikson's writing just noticeably picked up, and everything became magical and incredible. Seriously, the ending was absolutely amazing. I almost cried for the enormous sacrifice of Itkovian and how all the people reacted, and losing Whiskeyjack was awful. However, knowing the Malazan series (especially in the epilogue where they brought back Duiker) and the ominous web of sorcery in the Bridgeburners' funeral pit, I'm feeling that their whole story isn't quite over.

So let me just make sure I have all of this right, before I continue on forward:

Togg and Fanderay are the two wolves who were lovers and have finally been reunited. Togg was trapped in Toc's chest (I don't know how I am JUST realizing how similar their names are as I type this) and when he fell on the pole while Mok and Tool fought, he freed the wolf. The two wolves are in their own reality inside of the Mhybe's dreams. Is this reality a "warren" of sorts? Do all gods live in the dreams of sleeping women? Since K'rul was present for a lot of the Mhybe's life (Kruppe's dream, and the final entombment), does that mean that her dreams are part of his blood, if it is truly a warren?

Also, Burn confuses me a little. I understand that she's asleep, but I usually see years like 1163 Burn's Sleep or something, and some of the cultures and creatures in the series are hundreds of thousands of years old. What happened in 0 Burn's Sleep, or the time before that? Is she asleep in another reality, similar to the Mhybe? Or should I not worry about all of this since it'll eventually get answered? Thanks!