Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
So I was planning on making a Metamorph and just noticed something. It's possible that I don't start with Dungeon Rations. Is that intentional? I mean rations are kind of important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
On that note, how do people handle the implications of no rations left?

Do you impose debilities after a day without any rations left? Assuming no one has any left to share...

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Starvation imposes something like a negative ongoing to all rolls, but I can't seem to find the exact mention in the rules right now.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

If I may, I'd like to ask for some feedback from anyone who has used, seen someone else use, or DM'd a game where a player used the Marksman's Maybe You've Heard of Me? move.

Maybe You’ve Heard of Me? posted:

When you draw on your reputation in a crowd, roll +CHA. On a hit, several people have heard a story about you that casts you in a favorable light, which you can use for leverage. On a 10+, also take +1 forward to Parley. On a 7-9, they’ve all heard the story, but the version they heard includes two caveats from the list below – the GM will tell you which.
• The story inaccurately attributes a major achievement by another to your own actions.
• The story suffers from a significant exaggeration of fact.
• The storyteller missed an important and relevant detail.
• Somebody in the crowd pipes up with an awkward or embarrassing question about the story.

I've only had a chance to run a Marksman in a game once so far, and although I did use MYHoM? to help convince a crowd of dragon-worshipers that, yes, they did just see us stab a dragon and chase it off, and we're totally going to do the same to you if you don't run away right now, I managed to easily score a hit. I still don't know how the 7-9 effect would play out in a game very well. Any experiences would be helpful, thank you!

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
Submissions for issue 3 close 24 June

Hi folks,

With issue 2 nearing completion, I'm closing written submissions for issue 3 on the 24th of June.

We already have about a half dozen articles submitted. If you'd like to illustrate one of them, please get in touch (your deadline will be later than the 24th).

There's some great stuff on here (in fact, some of you have already made submissions). I'd love to see both original creations and things that have been already shared online somewhere. It seems like base classes often get polished off and put on RPGNow, but other content doesn't seem to get that treatment. We'll take it!

A quick reminder of submission rules:
- Any * World or World of * game
- Anywhere from 1 paragraph to 5,000 words (and ask me if you want to go longer)
- Creative Commons Attribution or Attribution-ShareAlike licensed

sanglorian@gmail.com

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.
So, the Paladin has the ability to have immunity to stuff, and one of the suggested options being "edged weapons."

Has the ability to just straight out be immune to swords, axes, etc, been a real problem for GMs?

RSIxidor fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 3, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

RSIxidor posted:

So, the Paladin being able to have immunity to stuff, and one of the suggested options being "edged weapons."

Has the ability to just straight out be immune to swords, axes, etc, been a real problem for GMs?

No. There's still hammers, rock falls, fists, magic, spears, arrows, and the list goes on and on. The Paladin has to get specific with it, and it's up to you to reward them for it and make them feel like a badass while still challenging them.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

sentrygun posted:

No. There's still hammers, rock falls, fists, magic, spears, arrows, and the list goes on and on. The Paladin has to get specific with it, and it's up to you to reward them for it and make them feel like a badass while still challenging them.

That's about where I was thinking of going with it. Mix in some of the stuff they are immune to, but be sure that there are many other dangers in the world.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

RSIxidor posted:

That's about where I was thinking of going with it. Mix in some of the stuff they are immune to, but be sure that there are many other dangers in the world.

Especially if Paladin heroes become famous due to their great deeds so that they become KNOWN for their immunity to blades... and when villains catch wind of those stories, they might change their strategies...

Or you pull in some tragic irony. A prophecy around the character: "No blade made by a living smith shall kill him" ruh roh

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I'll just make myself invincible, except for my ankle!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rocket Ace posted:

Or you pull in some tragic irony. A prophecy around the character: "No blade made by a living smith shall kill him" ruh roh

Not Dungeon World, but my group did get to recreate the "I am no man" reveal from Return of the King at one point in a tabletop session.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Rocket Ace posted:

Especially if Paladin heroes become famous due to their great deeds so that they become KNOWN for their immunity to blades... and when villains catch wind of those stories, they might change their strategies...

Or you start putting the screws to them via their catches, like Geasa of old.

Question for gnome: is there any particular reason why the Cultist's Chosen Ones count as Hirelings, but the True Friends Real Friends don't? And why they get both Stay Close, Stay There, and Whispers in Darkness while the True Friend has to pick one and doesn't get an analogue to WiD?

Comment
Feb 18, 2011

Rocket Ace posted:

On that note, how do people handle the implications of no rations left?

Do you impose debilities after a day without any rations left? Assuming no one has any left to share...
As far as I can tell, the only strict rules function of rations is that you need to consume one to Make Camp: If you don't eat, you don't get to level up or recover HP overnight. Being out of rations is an avenue the GM can use for moves, though.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
Parley

I'm reading this move as applicable to just about any social interaction in which a character wishes to gain something from an NPC. Things that are usually covered by Charm, Seduction, Manipulation etc... Not always as grandiose as bribery or garnering favors in court... correct?

As for haggling/bargaining in this system: I love how they've handled this (many items have their cost as $$$-Charisma). So elegant in its simplicity!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rocket Ace posted:

I'm reading this move as applicable to just about any social interaction in which a character wishes to gain something from an NPC. Things that are usually covered by Charm, Seduction, Manipulation etc... Not always as grandiose as bribery or garnering favors in court... correct?

Yes, as long as you are asking something of them and offering something they are interested in in return.

That "something they are interested in" doesn't have to be goods or something physical, of course.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've found "my willingness to stop beating you to death" to be pretty useful leverage for stopping fights as a Gladiator, too.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Remember too, if they don't have to be convinced, you shouldn't bother rolling.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

TheDemon posted:

Remember too, if they don't have to be convinced, you shouldn't bother rolling.

Words of wisdom for any RPG, to be honest.

Old habits die hard for me, I guess... I need to kill them all!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I just gave this system a play test with my youngish nephews who wanted to play "D&D". At first I was using my old 1st edition books and they seems like they where having fun, but whenever any kind of mechanical thing came up things grinded to a halt. This system was exactly the opposite, everything moved so smoothly and they caught on almost instantly. Handing over narrative control to them a lot more also made them way more engaged, I can not wait to try this out with my actual D&D group. We so often get bogged down in mechanical minutia, thank you SA Dungeon World thread for exposing this to me! This is the most fun I've had DMing in a long time.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

We played our first session on Monday night.

It was generally pretty great, although the D&D-mindset of "look at the moves and pick one" took a bit of getting over.

A couple of things that I need to clear up:

1) It seems like Dex was used to Defy Danger more often than all other stats put together. I'm guessing that's partly a failure of me to describe situations in which another stat would be usable, and partly the fault of the D&D mindset that says "The ceiling is collapsing, reflex save" instead of "gently caress that, I hold it up!"

2) The bard can pretty much give people 1d8 healing whenever he likes as long as he can do "a performance"? There seems to be no downside to doing this after every fight.

3) Tying into 2, it seems like if the bard in that situation (or anyone at any time) rolls a 10+ I'm not supposed to make a move? So if the bard sings his cheerful song of healing after a fight and rolls 10+, I'd be a dick to have monsters attracted by the noise? Or is that a situation where "haha nope, you spent 5 minutes singing and playing guitar, orcs heard it" is a move that follows the fiction? Does "follows the fiction" trump "they rolled 10+ and got what they wanted"?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You're allowed to make moves after stuff like that. Just make a softer one. "Reveal future badness" is great for that. They can react as appropriate.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

AlphaDog posted:

2) The bard can pretty much give people 1d8 healing whenever he likes as long as he can do "a performance"? There seems to be no downside to doing this after every fight.

Well, except that the bard has to roll, which always includes the possibility of that 7-9 result (you draw unwanted attention/extra targets) or an outright miss, which lets you make a move as hard and direct as you like.

quote:

3) Tying into 2, it seems like if the bard in that situation (or anyone at any time) rolls a 10+ I'm not supposed to make a move? So if the bard sings his cheerful song of healing after a fight and rolls 10+, I'd be a dick to have monsters attracted by the noise? Or is that a situation where "haha nope, you spent 5 minutes singing and playing guitar, orcs heard it" is a move that follows the fiction? Does "follows the fiction" trump "they rolled 10+ and got what they wanted"?

You make a move whenever the players are looking at you and waiting for the next thing to happen. In the case of the bard move, it's implicit that on a 10+ you don't make a move that draws unwanted attention to the bard. That doesn't necessarily mean nothing hears the music, or even that nothing comes to investigate, it just means the response doesn't draw unwanted attention. In a fight, that usually means "no monsters comes at you." Outside a fight, it's going to be dependent on the fiction. But yes, in general a 10+ is an unqualified success. Maybe the music is so righteous and pure that any being that doesn't rock as hard as a PC simply can't hear it, or it's so deep and soul-touching that they think it came from inside them or something.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Fiction's always first.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
If there's a danger lurking and they really would have to keep silent to not be heard, I might ask for a defy danger roll if they really want to not be heard. I guess I'd be a bit of a dick with that, since the 10+ is supposed to be the good success, but I don't think it would be out of place either.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
10+ means you did what you wanted to do successfully, within the room the move provides. Unless your Bard's a mime who cheers people up with goofy performances, playing effectively and not attracting the attention of the orcs in the next room are mutually exclusive. Just because you rolled a 10+ doesn't mean you defy reality and absolutely nothing negative happens to the players, much like how spending hold as a Druid doesn't mean you do your thing in a vacuum that excludes any possible opposition.

Basically, think of what the move does. Don't get all grognardy and enforce verisimilitude with an iron fist, but the fiction comes first here. If you use your Super Strength move to hold an entire crumbling dungeon up by yourself and roll a 10+, hell yes you hold that dungeon up. But that means the goblins you were running from after detonating their explosives cache and causing the dungeon to crumble in the first place can still chase you while you hold the dungeon up. A 10+ isn't a golden ticket to a perfect life, it's just a turn in the adventurer's favor, as opposed to a 6- being a turn out of their favor or a 7-9 being a tough decision.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
This is also the reason Hack and Slash isn't always what happens when the PC says "I stab it in the face". Sometimes with really dangerous enemies you need to Defy Danger to even have a chance to H&S. Or if it's a golem that's not going to be hurt by a sword to the face they also wouldn't roll. You'd just tell them it bounces off.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Assassin

Here's my modification of Fenarisk's original assassin class. Any feedback would be incredibly welcome.

Looks
  • Dark Eyes, Empty Eyes, or Deadly Eyes
  • Hooded Head, Shaved Head, or Cropped Hair
  • Dark Clothes, Common Clothes, or Tight Clothes
  • Lithe Body, Fit Body, or Built Body

Stats
Max HP = 8 + Constitution
Damage = 1d8
Load = 9 + STR

Races
  • Human You are a professional. When you spout lore or discern realities about assassinations (or targets), take+1.
  • Halfling When you attack with a ranged weapon, deal +2 damage.
  • Dwarf When you start a combat against a target you have been hired to assassinate, take +1 forward against them and -1 forward against other targets until the mark is dead.
  • Elf When you attack with a melee weapon, deal +2 damage.

Alignment
  • Good Assassinate an evil, corrupt, or dangerous target.
  • Neutral Assassinate under orders, or due to business.
  • Evil Assassinate for purely sel?sh reasons.

Bonds
  • I was once ordered to kill ____________, but did not for some reason.
  • ____________ knows incriminating details about me.
  • ____________ owes me their life, whether they know it or not.
  • ____________ has killed one of my friends, and they do not know it.

Gear

Start with all the basics
  • Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
  • Leather armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
  • Three doses of your chosen poison
  • A contract (as per Contract Killer; roll during the First session)
Choose your arms
  • Dagger (hand, 1 weight) and Short Sword (close, 1 weight)
  • Needle (hand, hidden, no damage, no weight) and Rapier (close, precise, 1 weight)
Choose a ranged weapon
  • Throwing daggers (3 thrown, near, no weight)
  • Ragged bow (near, 2 weight) and bundle of arrows (3 ammo, 1 weight)
Choose one
  • Adventuring Gear (5 uses, 1 weight)
  • Three more doses of chosen poison

Starting Moves

Death Dealer
When you spend a few moments studying an enemy, roll+DEX. On 10+, gain +3 hold; on 7–9,
gain +2 hold; on a miss, gain +1 hold in addition to whatever the GM says. You may only hold against one enemy at a time. The maximum hold is 3 + [level]. All holds go away when the enemy dies. Spend your holds one-for-one to:
  • Make a well-aimed strike that ignores all nonmagical armor.
  • Perfectly parry an attack, taking no damage.
  • Make a powerful strike, deal +1d4 damage.
  • Create an advantage, gaining +1 forward acting against the target.

Sight Unseen
When you attempt to follow someone, mask your presence in a group of people, or infltrate a place undetected, roll+DEX. On 10+, you do it, no problem; on 7–9, you still do it, but the GM will offer you two options between suspicion, danger, or cost.

Without a Trace
You cannot be tracked or hunted by normal means. You seldom, if ever, leave traces where you go. When others attempt to discern realities, they never learn you were there.

Poisoner (As Thief)

Advanced Moves (levels 2–5)
Assassin’s Strike
Add the following additional options to Death Dealer, for 2 hold each:
  • Make a deadly strike, deal +1d8 damage (can be
    stacked; e.g., spend 4 hold to deal +2d8 damage).
  • Make a well-aimed strike that ignores all armor.
  • Inflict a debility on a target.

Contract Killer
Any time you are free, you may contact your assassin’s organization and receive a contract worth 25 x [level] coins. To do so, roll+WIS: on a failure, no contract is currently available; on 7–9, pick three; on 10+, pick two.
  • The mark is well-protected or paranoid, but the
    pay is doubled.
  • The mark has powerful enemies, but they may
    double-cross you.
  • The mark has powerful friends who will seek revenge.
  • The mark has a powerful secret you will become involved with while carrying out the contract.

You Can Run, but You Can’t Hide
When trying to find somebody, roll+WIS. On 10+, you ?nd out where they are immediately; on 7–9, you learn the location of someone who likely knows their location.

Iron Will
As long as your are holding one (or more) from Death Dealer, you gain +1 armor against your target.

Scent of Blood (As Fighter)

Interrogator (As Fighter, except using WIS)

Poison Master (As Thief)

Envenom (As Thief)

Brewer (As Thief)

Connections (As Thief, except using WIS)

Advanced Moves (levels 6–10)

Dispirit
When you hack and slash or volley, on a 12+ you deal your damage, avoid their attack (if in melee range), and dismay, frighten, or disparage your enemy.

Deadeye
When you take about a minute to line up the perfect shot, roll+DEX: on 10+, choose two; on 7–9, choose one:
  • Your shot flies straight and true, ignoring armor and dealing +1d8 damage.
  • You perfectly gauge the wind, and are able to hit your target at great distances.
  • Nobody near the target is able to tell which direction the shot came from.
  • A single arrow can hit two targets, clipping the firrst. Roll regular damage and half it for the first target, then roll normal damage for the second target. (The first option’s bonus damage only applies to the second target.)

Nothing Up My Sleeves
You may hide any weapon of weight 1 or less on your body. This weapon can remain undetected on your person through all attempts to search you. Weapons not longer than your forearm may be drawn instantly, but larger weapons take a brief moment to retrieve or reassemble.

Surveillance
When you take time to research a target, name the person you want to kill and ask the GM these questions. When acting on the answers, you and your allies take +1 forward.
  • When are they vulnerable?
  • Who are their allies? Who are their enemies?
  • What is the greatest obstacle to killing them?
  • What is the greatest risk I run if I kill them?

Steel Will Replaces Iron Will
As long as your are holding one (or more) from Death Dealer, you gain +2 armor against your target.

Taste of Blood (As Fighter)

Alchemist (As Thief)

Escape Route (As Thief)

Disguise (As Thief)

Edit: BBcode is hard!

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 7, 2013

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Iron Will and Steel Will look identical to me.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Mors Rattus posted:

Iron Will and Steel Will look identical to me.

Yes, that was a typo. This is my first class, so feedback is welcome.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Played last weekend and ran a game on Wed. In both situations, the first thing that happened was a wrench was thrown into the very loose plans that barely existed.

Last Saturday, we start in a cave with an Orc chieftain in front of us. GM says some stuff that makes us think the orcs might be the good guys rather than the humans. NOPE, our paladin says something to the effect, "that's the bad guy I was sent to kill, that's my quest," and challenges him to a duel, and immediately fails his first combat roll, lol, but then goes on to not take damage from edge weapons. Duel doesn't last long as the ranger in the party starts opening fire on the orcs watching. Whoops. Then we end up with a farmer following us named Old One-Eye, and we watch on in humor as the halfling who is the commander at a local fort calls for his pony to appear more menacing, and then we kill some more orcs.

Game on Wednesday. I set the scene as the party just having crossed a river in a forest area, and from that river, at their backs, spring a bunch of lizardmen. I expect the party will go for the slaughter... NOPE. Our fighter informs the lizardmen that the four of them are working for The Firm, and that they are here to resolve the issue of lizardmen raiding human settlements. I sort of recovered on this one, because I wanted the party to get to the swamp anyway. The lizardmen inform them of something driving them out of their swamp. The lizardmen jump in the river and tell the party they will show them the way, so what does the party do? Inform their four interns to put the raft back in the water. I didn't really know what to say to that, so I allowed it, knowing full well these interns should likely die. So they get on a raft and go down the river to the lizardman's camp, where our thief immediately starts making plans to steal their eggs for an omelette. They also inform me that lizardman males unhinge their jaws to carry eggs from one location to another in their mouth, and the females are sad that they do not have this ability. Then they go to the swamp. Swamp Shambler was somewhat difficult for them to take down, but then they mowed through some sahuagin and dryads (the force driving the lizardmen out). The entire time they were in the swamp, they sent one intern (Hanson) to attack things first. He came out of the swamp with a festering rotting shoulder.

I still need to improve my moves in response, but I felt a lot better about this run than my first one, and much more amused.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

QuantumNinja posted:

Yes, that was a typo. This is my first class, so feedback is welcome.

My first thought is 'write more of your own moves.' Yeah, stealing the Fighter or Thief's moves may work out mechanically, but it's boring. Write moves that are uniquely Assassin!

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

RSIxidor posted:

Played last weekend and ran a game on Wed. In both situations, the first thing that happened was a wrench was thrown into the very loose plans that barely existed.

I still need to improve my moves in response, but I felt a lot better about this run than my first one, and much more amused.

Both of these games sound like a lot of fun. I love it when players make a tangent and run with it in Dungeon World. The best part is, you don't feel like the big story you've been planning has been derailed. you just buckle up and join them for the ride.

I'm still slowly working on the Compendium Classes for Lands of the Dead, and I've got the Psychopomp in a near-finished state. I'm just not sure which, and how many, moves should be ones you initially get, and which should be 'advanced' moves. Here's the current draft:

The Psychopomp posted:

When you have encountered a dead soul chained to Life by Trauma or powerful emotion, and sent it to the Great Beyond, the next time you level up you may take the following two moves instead of a move from your class:

Spirit Medium
You can see, hear, and communicate with the Dead that linger in the Shade or haunt the Living.

Spirit Guide
When you attempt to guide a dead soul to the Afterlife, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, they go with gratitude or acceptance. *On a 7-9, there are complications, choose 1:

- They must conclude unfinished business with the Living before they can move on. The GM will tell you what they need resolved.
- They don’t want to go, or don’t believe they’re actually dead. You will need to trick, force, or convince them to move on.

When you have taken the above moves, you may take any of the following moves instead of a move from your class when you level up:

Exorcist
When you perform the Ritual to banish a hostile soul or demon from a place, person, or object it has possessed, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, it is banished to the Great Beyond or back to whence it came. *On a 7-9, it flees what it has possessed, but you know not where.

Grateful Dead
When you usher a soul into the Afterlife, you gain 1 Soul. You may sacrifice soul, 1 for 1, on the following:

- A deathly aura about yourself that causes others fear, apprehension, or uneasiness.
- A single word or phrase that will bring someone the Dead knew to their knees.
- Ghostly footsteps show a clear path through danger.
- A physical manifestation of a spectral presence - a floating object, a half-seen figure, a strange noise.

Postmortem Psychologist
When you attempt to help a restless spirit come to terms with it’s fate, roll+Cha. *On a 10+, they are at peace. *On a 7-9, they remain upset until a wrong of their life has been righted. *on a miss, they descend into an inconsolable misery or rage.

I Cast You Out!
Requires: Exorcist
You may use Exorcist on any extraplanar creature that has possessed a person, place, or object.

And here is the second planned Compendium Class (Which may become a full playbook at some stage) The Ethereal. It may need another move or two before it's done, and perhaps a more evocative Condition.

The Ethereal posted:

When you have lost or abandoned your physical body, the next time you level up you may take the following move instead of a move from your class:

Ephemereal
You do not have a physical body. You can pass through physical matter, including people, but you cannot pick up or interact with physical objects.

When you have taken the above move, you may take any of the following moves instead of a move from your class when you level up:

Nine Tenths
When you attempt to possess the sleeping or unconscious body of someone or something, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, You gain total control of the body. *On a 7-9, you have to regularly struggle with your host’s consciousness to maintain control.

Poltergeist
When you attempt to move an object with your strong emotions, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, choose 1. *On a 7-9, choose 2:

- You make a terrible mess.
- Someone’s put in danger.
- You leave ectoplasmic residue behind.
- You break something.

What Dreams May Come
When you touch the minds of those grieving for their departed loved ones, roll+Wis. *On a 10+, choose 1 now, and hold 1 for later. *On a 7-9, choose 1. *On a miss, the GM chooses one. Spend hold, 1 for 1, on the following:

- You drive them into a vengeful fervor.
- You bring them peace and acceptance.
- You destroy their will to live.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

My first thought is 'write more of your own moves.' Yeah, stealing the Fighter or Thief's moves may work out mechanically, but it's boring. Write moves that are uniquely Assassin!

At the very least, he could be stealing from my Assassin for moves that are much more interesting. :v:

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

madadric posted:

Both of these games sound like a lot of fun. I love it when players make a tangent and run with it in Dungeon World. The best part is, you don't feel like the big story you've been planning has been derailed. you just buckle up and join them for the ride.

There was half a second where I just wanted to be like, "A RAFT AND INTERNS WHAT OH HELL NO!?!" and then I let it go, and it was awesome.

Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure where to go with fronts. I'll figure something out. Since they work for The Firm, I think a rival legal organization would make sense (they served the sahuagin a writ of eviction, though it was wrapped around an arrow). Maybe the dryad's allies or family seek out the rival legal organization to sue or something.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention. Ranger in the game on saturday had a wolf named Hawk. He usually started combat by saying, "Hawk, fly!"

RSIxidor fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 7, 2013

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

At the very least, he could be stealing from my Assassin for moves that are much more interesting. :v:

I couldn't find it. Link?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

QuantumNinja posted:

I couldn't find it. Link?

Right here. The list of playbooks in the OP is really handy for stuff like this.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

So, I've been working on a custom class for one of my characters, and I thought I'd share it.

This came about because I was trying to make a loremaster-type character. The bard and improved bard are ok, and their starting moves are nice for this, but the advanced moves focus pretty much entirely on Arcane Art, other performance stuff, and dueling, and frankly I didn't want to make that kind of character.

The Storyteller is a Bard variant class focused on learning or making up things about the world and its people, building on that knowledge to do cool things, and being a character in a story. It's got the Bard's lore starting moves, some moves to do with using stories or anecdotes, and some of the self-awareness of Tollymain's Talebound. The advanced moves are suited for the same playstyle, and that's probably the biggest difference from The Bard as most of the Bard moves are to do with Arcane Art and performances.

Still incomplete though, missing moves, needs a lot of editing and probably to rework some moves completely. I've put some comments in italics, and I would really really appreciate feedback.

The Storyteller

Stats
HP: 8+Constitution
Damage: d6
Load: 8+STR

Alignment / Drive:
Learn something new and important about the world (I figure a loremaster type character wouldn't mind doubling down on this at the end of session)
Go out of your way to aid an innocent (needs edit/replace)
Spur others to significant and unplanned decisive action (needs edit/replace)

Choose Your Role:
Faceless: When someone tries to describe you to someone else, that person can articulate only one specific detail about you, the rest of their memory is vague or incorrect. This also means you do not roll for Outstanding Warrants unless you reveal your identity.
Protagonist: Your luck or skill always comes through in a pinch. Once per fight, damage you deal ignores armor.
Traveler: When you enter an important location (your call), you can ask the GM for one fact from the history of that location.

Bonds:
It's been a long time since I last adventured with _______________.
I told stories of _______________ long before I ever met them in person.
I know a secret about _______________ that I suspect he does not know himself.
_______________ acts like the main character in this tale.
_______________ has yet to tell me a tale worth repeating.

(I'm quite happy with the racials and bonds)

Gear:
You start with Dungeon Rations (5 uses, 1 weight), a Hooded Cloak (0 weight) and a Bag of Books (5 uses, 2 weight)
Choose Your Weapon:
- Worn Bow (near, 2 weight), bundle of Arrows (3 ammo, 1 weight)
- Parrying Staff (close, two-handed, +1 armor, 1 weight)
- Rapier (close, precise, 1 weight)
Choose One:
- Adventuring Gear (5 uses, 1 weight)
- Bandages (3 uses, 0 weight)
- Halfling Pipeleaf (6 uses, 0 weight)

(I considered giving a leather armor equiv, but decided against. There are moves that give decent armor.)

Starting Moves:

In A Past Life
Choose a starting move from a playbook no one else is using.

Storyteller's Lore (WIS)
When you Spout Lore, if you tell us about a tale, song, or legend featuring the subject at hand, roll+WIS instead of +INT. On a 10+, you may also ask the GM any one question about the subject, and the GM must answer truthfully.

Truth to Power
When you Spout Lore, on a 7+, take +1 forward when acting on that information.
(credit to Gnome7's improved bard, from which I've stolen these two moves)

Rising Action
When you guess the type of story you're in right now, name a genre. The GM tells you whether you guessed correctly, but doesn't reveal the genre if you guessed wrong. If you guessed right, gain +4 Drama. If you guessed wrong, gain +2 Drama. You may not guess again until the story is over or the GM tells you the genre changed.
The GM is encouraged to use very specific genres, like "Courtly Intrigue", "Arcane Mystery", or "Action Adventure", rather than vague ones like "Fantasy", but also should accept close guesses.
Spend Drama 1 for 1 to:
• Produce one simple, generic item from your pack appropriate to the genre you guessed.
• Give you or an ally +1 forward to an action appropriate to the genre you guessed.
• Give you or an ally +1 ongoing to damage or armor against the story's antagonist, as you see it given your guess, until the story is over or the genre changes.

History Repeats Itself (WIS)
When you make an analogy between your current situation and that of a different hero in a different tale, roll+WIS. On a 10+, the way the other hero dealt with their problem will work for you, but choose 1. On a 7-9, the other hero's solution might work, but choose 1 and the GM chooses 1:
• The solution falls just short, and you'll need to make an extra effort to get it to work right.
• The danger is much greater than it appeared in the original tale, if you go through with it treat this as if you rolled 7-9 on Defy Danger.
• You're missing one crucial thing the other hero had; this solution won't work unless you can find a substitute.
• It works for you, but no one else you're with.
• Spend 1 Drama.

(Really would love some second opinions on the last two moves. Mechanically, History Repeats Itself gives you a worse result for 10+ and 7-9 than Defy Danger might, but uses your main stat and maybe lets you do more things. Fictionally you actually have to make an analogy.)

Advanced Moves (2-5):

A Port in the Storm
When you return to a civilized settlement you’ve visited before, tell the GM when you were last here. They’ll tell you how it’s changed since then.
(straight from The Bard)

Rumormonger
When you hear a rumor, roll+WIS. On a hit, you can tell if it's completely true, partially true, or completely false. On a 10+, you know who to talk to for the truth or the full story.

Sob Story
When you take the time to fully listen to a NPC's tale of woe, gain +2 Drama. You may spend Drama as if it were the genre of the NPC's story in addition to the genre you guessed.

Pay It Forward
When you would have to spend 15 coin or less on a good or service, you may instead tell a story relevant to the seller.

The Power Of The Written Word
When you use a Bag of Books, you can take +1 to any roll, not just Spout Lore. When you do, explain how part of a story you read in the book applies to the situation.
(It's a Storyteller version of The Witch's book move, again credit to Gnome7)

Denouement
When you defeat an important antagonist, gain 1 use of Bag of Books, and you know what all the loose ends related to that antagonist are.

He arrives precisely when he means to.
Add the following option to Rising Action:
• So long as you do not need to rush, show up to any scene involving another character that could be part of the genre you guessed, even if you didn't know it was taking place or that you were needed.

Character Growth
Choose a move from another playbook, related in some way to an analogy you've made with History Repeats Itself.
(I think the neat thing here is the longer you've played, the more options you'll have to multiclass to)

I've Told You Once Before
When you successfully Aid Another by reminding them of an anecdote you once told or instruction you previously gave, you grant +2 instead of +1.
(this move definitely needs a new name)

Advanced Moves (6-10):

Plot Armor
When you are fighting unimportant subordinates or someone else irrelevant to the plot, you have +2 Armor.

Don't turn your back on the body...
When you are dying because of an action that achieved your or one of your ally's goals, Death also contrives to remove your body from the scene. Then roll your Last Breath. On a hit, if you survived, you may dramatically return in a later scene, alive at half your maximum hitpoints. On a miss, you don't die yet: if your body is found, roll your Last Breath again without the bonuses of this move.
(The implication is that you only die from the first roll if you refuse death's bargain. This might be a bit powerful, but I've seen similarly good death-avoiding moves. Mainly the problem is it's awkwardly phrased and probably needs to be redone from scratch)

Secretkeeper
When you learn an important secret that no one else knows, create the bond "Only I know ____ about ____". If the secret isn't about a player, it counts as Leverage over its subject. If the secret is about a non-character, you may Parley with that entity as if it were a character, although things that are not sentient like a location can only express themselves in very subtle ways. When you tell the secret, or when you know someone else has found out, resolve the bond, marking XP.

The Final Showdown!
When you struggle with more than just your life on the line in a battle to the death against someone who is doing the same, you may maximize your damage dice three times during the battle.

Wrong Genre Savvy
Gain +4 Drama when you guess with Rising Action, even if you guessed wrong. The wrong genre restrictions still apply.

Once Upon A Time...
Choose a move from another playbook, related in some way to someone else's story you've learned about during your journeys.

Once again, it's nowhere near complete, and I would really love some feedback.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jun 8, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Here's a question, looking at DW from a slightly different perspective:

What would you say is wrong or bad about DW?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

victrix posted:

Here's a question, looking at DW from a slightly different perspective:

What would you say is wrong or bad about DW?

The fact that the rules are based around how oldschool D&D was played: you're based out of a single region and you go around finding dungeons to raid.

It's a thematic choice, yes, but it's an obstacle to DW replacing D&D fully, for me at least. Toodling around in dungeons and playing oldschool style is all well and good, but my D&D games were about courtly intrigue and extraplanar exploration.

Fortunately, Dark Heart of the Dreamers goes some steps towards fixing this, and Inverse World should give us a suite of tools for handling travel-heavy games so you can basically play LotR in your Dungeon World, with minimal adaptation.

That aside, the 3-18 stats still make no sense, and several of the core classes aren't as good as the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
3-18 stats are the most resilient and most pointless sacred cow ever. No-one can bear to leave them out, even though they literally have no use whatsoever unless you're random rolling.

For me, I don't like the narrow band of races and racial restrictions. Again it's a relic from old school D&D, but one of the ways I've gotten people excited about new D&D editions has been to tell them they don't have to be an elf, they can be a sentient chunk of psychic crystal instead. Obviously it's pretty easy to work around those restrictions though, and lots of people do.

WordMercenary fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jun 9, 2013