Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm looking for a good place to start the :black101:. Tried to do Austiland (eastern half of Iceland) but get immediately subjugated by a Petty King from Norway, which leaves me with little to do. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm looking for a good place to start the :black101:. Tried to do Austiland (eastern half of Iceland) but get immediately subjugated by a Petty King from Norway, which leaves me with little to do. Any suggestions?

Start as Harald fairhair.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I sailed an army of 25,000 men to the Holy Land all the way from Ireland on a crusade, but it won't let me disembark them and start killing heathens :black101:. What gives?

Are you actually selecting your army and sending them in? Or are you just selecting your ships and clicking? You can only do the "pull your ships directly into port" thing in your own ports.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

JerikTelorian posted:

Any of the sons of Lodbrok.

Ivar the Boneless especially is a fun start.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Reveilled posted:

Is anyone else running Girl Power, and finding that you have to enable it every single time you play? CK2+ seemed to save which modules I had turned on, but Girl Power doesn't seem to do this.

I haven't downloaded Girl Power yet (shockingly), but the "save mods/DLC choices in the launcher" behaviour is controlled by a file in the main settings directory. If it has its own settings/save games directory (like, for example, Game of Thrones) then it won't stick like CK2+ does.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

Ireland is still the best starter area, but that doesn't mean you have to literally start there. Pick any Norse dude, then conquer the Irish counts one by one. Watch out though, there's an alliance network with three counts in the middle and north areas so don't attack those guys right from the gate. From there, you can take on Scotland which will probably be distracted by Ivar the Boneless.

Of course, if you have the Ruler Designer, you can turn the Norse chief of Dublin into an Irish pagan, or even play as the chief himself.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
I'm seriously considering not reforming Norse because playing through an entire game with Gavelkind sounds like a fun departure from the super stable elective realms and massive personal demesnes I normally end up with. The current emperor inherited Norway and Sweden from his parents and conquered Denmark (who in turn held a lot of Baltic land) and Finland to unify his empire. Dividing up all that dosh between eight or so sons sounds like a fun time :getin:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Dallan Invictus posted:

I haven't downloaded Girl Power yet (shockingly), but the "save mods/DLC choices in the launcher" behaviour is controlled by a file in the main settings directory. If it has its own settings/save games directory (like, for example, Game of Thrones) then it won't stick like CK2+ does.

Oh! So that's why none of the mods I play ever stick. I have to do that every time I want to play the Game of Thrones mod, too.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

Annath posted:

So that works, some tiny little earl in England is the Roman Emperor now.

How would I go about making a trigger to form the Empire for non-byzantines? It could use the same list of territories, but instead of an event it would be the standard "create title" function.

I'm not that familiar with how modding works for this game, but I would imagine you could just add a line in the event itself to be available to Romans the same way it is to Byzantines, or make a copy of the event and change the Empire/Culture. I don't think you could make a standard title unless it was titular with all of those qualifiers.

If I might make a suggestion, though, I think it would make more sense to make their "form Roman Empire" decision be based on the western half or something because the Byzantines have to get theirs by reclaiming the Justinian-era borders (so pretty much just the eastern half+Italy). Having to fight them for Italy would be interesting, but having to pry Constantinople and everything else away from them sounds like it would be kinda tedious.

Also you should definitely use the culture-based names to change the duchy names to the old provincial names.

Also also I think Augustus is definitely the way to go, only the Julio-Claudian dynasty really kept up the Princeps charade of holding imperial authority within the old republican system with "at-large pro-consular authority" instead of the later enlightened despotism or the even later outright military dictatorships.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

God drat it MacBeth, stop it!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

...Huh so the AI will just hire whoever too.

I just fought Ethiopian mercenaries in an invasion of Pommeralia by a Frankish adventurer.

Man, both sides of the war must have been quite surprised.

EDIT: Ha ha, holy poo poo I was routing them and I got them so low that the cavalry was the major part of their forces and I have the african units pack.

BALTIC CAMELS.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 7, 2013

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know greek, but the Roman equivalent should be Quaestor, Praetor, Consul, Princeps.

Augustus Caesar best Caesar :colbert: Princeps is badass, it just means First Citizen. Augustus had so much loving power he got to pretend he didn't have any power at all.

Why Quaestor? Wikipedia says they were closer to a mayor or a "steward" than anything.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Schizotek posted:

Why Quaestor? Wikipedia says they were closer to a mayor or a "steward" than anything.
Quaestors were sent out to govern provinces, they're actually a better match than Praetors, who stayed in Rome. I did it that way because that was the cursus honorum (literally the Honors Race), Quaestor and off to govern a province, then Praetor and back to Rome to be in charge of something very important, then Consul, which was basically King except split in two. And then Princeps for Emperor, because Augustus > Everybody Else.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

GrabbinPeels posted:

I'm not that familiar with how modding works for this game, but I would imagine you could just add a line in the event itself to be available to Romans the same way it is to Byzantines, or make a copy of the event and change the Empire/Culture. I don't think you could make a standard title unless it was titular with all of those qualifiers.

What do you mean a titular title?

GrabbinPeels posted:

If I might make a suggestion, though, I think it would make more sense to make their "form Roman Empire" decision be based on the western half or something because the Byzantines have to get theirs by reclaiming the Justinian-era borders (so pretty much just the eastern half+Italy). Having to fight them for Italy would be interesting, but having to pry Constantinople and everything else away from them sounds like it would be kinda tedious.

Also you should definitely use the culture-based names to change the duchy names to the old provincial names.

Also also I think Augustus is definitely the way to go, only the Julio-Claudian dynasty really kept up the Princeps charade of holding imperial authority within the old republican system with "at-large pro-consular authority" instead of the later enlightened despotism or the even later outright military dictatorships.

I'm realizing the limits of my own historical knowledge...I have no idea what the provincial names were...

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Annath posted:

A titular title is one that has no de jure territory.

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Quaestors were sent out to govern provinces, they're actually a better match than Praetors, who stayed in Rome. I did it that way because that was the cursus honorum (literally the Honors Race), Quaestor and off to govern a province, then Praetor and back to Rome to be in charge of something very important, then Consul, which was basically King except split in two. And then Princeps for Emperor, because Augustus > Everybody Else.

Quaestors didn't govern provinces, though. Depending on the time period you're looking at most of the provinces were governed by either Propraetors or Proconsuls after their stints as Praetor or Consul which would occur within Italy. It's hard to shoehorn the Roman governmental apparatus into the Count>Duke>King>Emperor formula because most Roman provinces were the size of a Duchy or Kingdom and the governors switched out every five to ten years.

Annath posted:

Titles in CK2 are either de-jure or titular. Titlar just means that you can make the title if you meet certain conditions but there are no de-jure lands associated with it. There are no claims to press or anything like that. If you made a regular title to form then you would have to change the de-jure Empires around to include the Roman one, but if it was purely titular then you could have "has to own blank and blank to create the title".

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

GrabbinPeels posted:

Titles in CK2 are either de-jure or titular. Titlar just means that you can make the title if you meet certain conditions but there are no de-jure lands associated with it. There are no claims to press or anything like that. If you made a regular title to form then you would have to change the de-jure Empires around to include the Roman one, but if it was purely titular then you could have "has to own blank and blank to create the title".

I wonder if I could change things up to make the Byzantine one the "Eastern Roman Empire" and a new one "Western Roman Empire" and upon conquering both, an event to change it to just "Roman Empire"...but that might be too ambitious

If I wanted to make a titular title of Roman Emperor/Imperator/Princeps/whatever, how would I do that?

e: haha, awesome, the Titular Title Generator

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

Well the literal translations are Baro, Comes, Dux, Rex, and Imperator. So I'll either go with that or do what one of you other peeps said. A more important question is what to name all of the other pagan religions, because paradox were lazy and put them all under pagan_group. And since the game defaults to religion specific titles, the only way not to have "High Cheif Alexander the Great" was to destroy the pagan titles.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Schizotek posted:

Well the literal translations are Baro, Comes, Dux, Rex, and Imperator. So I'll either go with that or do what one of you other peeps said. A more important question is what to name all of the other pagan religions, because paradox were lazy and put them all under pagan_group. And since the game defaults to religion specific titles, the only way not to have "High Cheif Alexander the Great" was to destroy the pagan titles.

wait, if you're making a Roman Empire mod, I don't have to learn, right? I'm happy to have someone else try this if they want; as I said I have no idea what I'm doing...

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Schizotek posted:

Baro is just a Latinization of some Germanic word, iirc, but I would still use the rest for the CK2 era if the goal's to flesh out a revived Roman Empire in the middle ages. It's going to be a different creature from the Early Imperial era, after all, and reflect the power structures of the times. Did the Byzantines even have praetors and quaestors by the 9th century?

e: The way I think of it is this: You've played the long game, grabbed some good marriages and now you're poised to install your Romanized puppet, Cassiodorus Karling, on the throne of France. Would it make more sense for him to become the Rex Francia or the Consul Francia?

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 7, 2013

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

Annath posted:

wait, if you're making a Roman Empire mod, I don't have to learn, right? I'm happy to have someone else try this if they want; as I said I have no idea what I'm doing...

Well a Hellenic mod. I figure a few goals to have is localizations for roman and greek helennics, as well as hellenic specific titles/empires. I'm gonna use better armies as a base.

e: And of course ask for permission from that mods maker before actually putting it out there. I'm not a monster after all.

e2: I just tested a Roman Hellenic king of Italy. ALL of my vassals rebelled, and ALL of the Carolingian rulers declared war on me. Within like a week of each other.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 7, 2013

Tank Sinatra
Dec 26, 2012
You could go with Augustus/Basileus, Caesar/Kaisar, Praefectus/Hyparchos, Comes/Komes, Vicarius/? - that would give it a 4th century Diocletian kind of feel.

If you can change Council offices, you could do:
Chancellor -> Magister Officiorum
Marshal -> Magister Militum
Steward -> Comes Sacrarum Largitionum
Spymaster -> Agens in Rebus
Chaplain -> I dunno. Episcopus or something?

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

Annath posted:

I wonder if I could change things up to make the Byzantine one the "Eastern Roman Empire" and a new one "Western Roman Empire" and upon conquering both, an event to change it to just "Roman Empire"...but that might be too ambitious

Changing the name of things is super easy, just change the name in your mod's localisation folder.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DrSunshine, Some weeks from now posted:

With the new Rome mod I've nearly conquered all of Western Europe, but there's some annoying loving Pagans occupying a single county in France that I just can't seem to conquer. Anyone have any ideas?

Here's a map of my realm so far:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Everyone in that province has an insane martial stat. Must be a bug or something.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

It shows why pagan religions are overpowered, NERF their troops! Or assassinate their druids.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

GrabbinPeels posted:

Changing the name of things is super easy, just change the name in your mod's localisation folder.

Depends on what your changing. See my pagan title explosion above.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

I hear if you assassinate their bard the pagans will offer you to be your vassals out of gratitude.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

So, my king in Aragon being the worst ruler ever actually turned out to be a huge boon. Jesus told him to become a Lollard and so I got the ability to press holy wars on all my Catholic neighbours. I've managed to hold my realm together somehow (one assassination, a million granted titles) and I'm one war that I'm easily going to win away from forming the Empire of Hispania!

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Despot Macbeth of Scotland somehow got himself a CB on Wessex and is currently taking over all of the UK for me.

He started off as a Scottish refugee I gave Corsica to for amusement, went on to become Duke of Sardinia, then King of Scotland and is now almost Emperor of Brittania! :psyduck:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

toasterwarrior posted:

If you go with this method, if you have enough men to compete and preferably after they take losses against the rebels, to engage the main Scottish army. By doing this you'll prolong the war since the Scottish stack will then have to replenish in order to siege down the rebels. If you get lucky, you might even inspire more vassals to rebel since the Scottish King will have diminished manpower and they'll take advantage of it if they have beef with him. Thus, you'll get even more potential snipes off the war.

As a bonus, during succession crises, if you can gently caress everyone up enough but keep the loyalists down at the same time so that the rebels win, you'll be able to declare war on the new King if he wasn't a participant in the civil war and his levies should still be depleted compared to yours.

This also works as general advice when your target is big but prone to civil war, like Byzantium and the HRE if a young and/or terrible Emperor takes over.

vvv: True, I have noticed that the AI does tend to make peace deals that screw you out of potential snipes. Though it did happen even before 1.10 came out so it might just be an AI quirk designed to keep us filthy humans down.

The more I play this game, the less I feel like I know it :eng99:

I started in 1066 and built up a nice little demense with fake claims/CB/mercenaries.
The next king united Ireland in the same way, and I married vast swathes of the kids off in England and Scotland. I think 8 duchies at one point had my kids as heirs.
I was thinking they would just deliver the realms to me, but they turned out to be independent factions. (One problem was that the heir line that I'm playing wasnt the one I was expecting; I had 4 genius daughters and 3 rebel/jailed sons, and the son's sons are who Im playing.) Im guessing that to inherit into my realm, they have to be playable characters, and not kinsmen or cousins?
I've had 3-4 province rebellions every couple years. Not sure why they keep doing it, but I jail them for life, its quiet, and then their kids do it all over again.
It ended up working out okay though - with an occasional assassin and sown dissent, England and Scotland have had 35 years of brutal civil war (levies at 5k-). I've peeled 3-4 provinces off of Scotland, and have De Jure claims to two more. Im guessing I cant grab them both in the next war?
Should I work on keeping the truce for now, putting false claims in 4-5 places and pressing them all at once? Or should I keep assassinating and starting one province wars? I dont think the heir to Scotland will matrilineally marry any of my daughters.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

It might not be accurate, but it's better than what Paradox has.

quote:

#CODE;ENGLISH;FRENCH;GERMAN;;SPANISH;;;;;;;;;x

baron_roman;Baro;;;;;;;;;x
count_roman;Comes;;;;;;;;;x
duke_roman;Dux;;;;;;;;;x
king_roman;Rex;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_roman;Imperator;;;;;;;;;x

baron_greco;Varonos;;;;;;;;;x
count_greco;Komis;;;;;;;;;x
duke_greco;Doukos;;;;;;;;;x
king_greco;Vasilefs;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_greco;Basileus;;;;;;;;;x

baron_spartan;Harmost;;;;;;;;;x
count_spartan;Ephor;;;;;;;;;x
duke_spartan;Archon;;;;;;;;;x
king_spartan;Anax;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_spartan;Arkhagêtai;;;;;;;;;x

baron_west_african_pagan_reformed;Elder;;;;;;;;;x
count_west_african_pagan_reformed;Chief;;;;;;;;;x
duke_west_african_pagan_reformed;High Chief;;;;;;;;;x

baron_west_african_pagan;Elder;;;;;;;;;x
count_west_african_pagan;Chief;;;;;;;;;x
duke_west_african_pagan;High Chief;;;;;;;;;x

baron_slavic_pagan;Hetman;;;;;;;;;x
count_slavic_pagan;Chief;;;;;;;;;x
duke_slavic_pagan;High Chief;;;;;;;;;x

baron_slavic_pagan_reformed;Vitez;;;;;;;;;x
count_slavic_pagan_reformed;Grof;;;;;;;;;x
duke_slavic_pagan_reformed;Vojvoda;;;;;;;;;x
king_slavic_pagan_reformed;Kralj;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_slavic_pagan_reformed;Czar;;;;;;;;;x

baron_finnish_pagan;Elder;;;;;;;;;x
count_finnish_pagan;Chief;;;;;;;;;x
duke_finnish_pagan;High Chief;;;;;;;;;x
king_finnish_pagan;Kung;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_finnish_pagan;Kejsare;;;;;;;;;x

baron_finnish_pagan_reformed;Vapaaherra;;;;;;;;;x
count_finnish_pagan_reformed;Kreivi;;;;;;;;;x
duke_finnish_pagan_reformed;Herttua;;;;;;;;;x
king_finnish_pagan_reformed;Kuningas;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_finnish_pagan_reformed;Keisari;;;;;;;;;x

baron_baltic_pagan_reformed;Hetman;;;;;;;;;x
count_baltic_pagan_reformed;Hrabia;;;;;;;;;x
duke_baltic_pagan_reformed;Ksiaze;;;;;;;;;x
king_baltic_pagan_reformed;Krol;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_baltic_pagan_reformed;Karalius;;;;;;;;;x

baron_baltic_pagan;Hetman;;;;;;;;;x
count_baltic_pagan;Chief;;;;;;;;;x
duke_baltic_pagan;High Chief;;;;;;;;;x

baron_pagan;Elder;;;;;;;;;x
count_pagan;Chief;;;;;;;;;x
duke_pagan;High Chief;;;;;;;;;x
king_pagan;Chief Paramount;;;;;;;;;x
emperor_pagan;King-of-Tribes;;;;;;;;;x
Any criticisms, particularly the first three?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The OP mentions the CK+ mod among others, but from the last ~10 pages of this thread I gather the mod doesn't currently work? We're waiting for it to be patched? And what about that girl power mod, I don't see it listed in the OP. Does the girl power mod currently work with Crusader Kings 2 and where can I download the mod? Googling for "Crusader Kings 2 Girl Power mod" didn't come up with anything.

As a more personal question, how necessary do you guys think CK2+ is? I'm having a great time with vanilla and it feels plenty complex for me, but some posts make it sound almost required so I feel like I'm missing out.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

In my current game the HRE just inherited the Byzantine Empire. Oh dear.

I'm the Cathar Emperor of Britannia, so now I have to make sure to destabilize the mega-HRE before they declare any holy wars.

Oh, and that slightly different shade of grey in the middle of the HRE is the Knights Hospitaller. They were granted the kingdom of Hungary after a Crusade. They've held it for over a century now. Never seen that happen before.

Edit: I think this is the Girl Power mod: http://www.mediafire.com/download/bacy8vdjbg9m5mq/Girl+Power.zip

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
It was fun playing an army-leading warrior genius queen with 31 martial, flanker and terrain expertise until I got brained with a mace.

What a way to go. :sigh:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jack B Nimble posted:

As a more personal question, how necessary do you guys think CK2+ is? I'm having a great time with vanilla and it feels plenty complex for me, but some posts make it sound almost required so I feel like I'm missing out.

Not at all necessary. I adds a lot, and some people like the changes, but I personally use Vanilla and VIET. I would say to try it out when it gets updated and see if you like it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'd love it if the Holy Orders were super loving aggressive like the Vikings are when granted land. It would make a lot of sense in my mind for them to be very active like the early Norse gameplay is. Generally when given land they just sit there and do nothing with it. They should be actively raiding and looting people of different faith and declaring Conquest/Holy War nonstop in an effort to expand. Just think how great it would be if you granted them Cyprus and they raided the entire coastline of Jerusalem down to Alexandria nonstop. They wouldn't get any weaker since their leadership spawns out of thin air but the people the keep braining and capturing would destabilize the entire region's dynastic inheritance game.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 8, 2013

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I'd say the primary advantage of CK2+ (was) that it made the game a lot less 'explotiable' - patching a lot of cheesy things that players learned to do. It makes the game more complex & difficult in general, so I definitely wouldn't recommend it for beginners. Vanilla is perfectly fine, at least until you have a few dozen hours of play under your belt.

Moot point for now, of course.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yup! That's the Girl Power mod, currently in development by me. I still can't figure out why the "Change Gender Law" factions are a bit messed-up, still hoping someone with more mod experience than me can fill me in. I don't post on the Paradox forums.

New feature for v.1.03:

- Cruel/Impaler/Wroth/Arbitrary/Insane Female rulers will be able to castrate prisoners

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

GrabbinPeels posted:

Quaestors didn't govern provinces, though. Depending on the time period you're looking at most of the provinces were governed by either Propraetors or Proconsuls after their stints as Praetor or Consul which would occur within Italy. It's hard to shoehorn the Roman governmental apparatus into the Count>Duke>King>Emperor formula because most Roman provinces were the size of a Duchy or Kingdom and the governors switched out every five to ten years.
Ah goddammit, you're right, I was conflating Cicero governing Sicily after serving as Quaestor with what he did while he was Quaestor. I like my way, though, just for the old-school feel.

• Locked thread