Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Dennis Praeger got confused this morning and spent around 15 minutes discussing how there was no such thing as legitimate rape. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he just forgot what legitimate means here even though that segment was followed by talking about how radical feminists think all sex is rape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FMguru posted:

Even if IRS-gate fails to get traction with the general population, it's still useful for teabaggers/conservatives because they can use it hype up their own sense of persecution and living proof that only they can stop The Kenyan Usurper from covering all the land with a thousand years of darkness.

It's baloney, of course, but so was George Soros Communist Mastermind, ACORN's nationwide voter-fraud conspiracy, and the New Black Panther Party campaign of voter intimidation.

You just pointed out why this is meaningless. Every single non issue is treated by these people as the worst possible thing. There is no subtlety or nuance, every day Obama is showing he is worse than Ted Bundy and Hitler combined. A real scandal isn't going to do anything Umbrellagate wouldn't.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Fulchrum posted:

You just pointed out why this is meaningless. Every single non issue is treated by these people as the worst possible thing. There is no subtlety or nuance, every day Obama is showing he is worse than Ted Bundy and Hitler combined. A real scandal isn't going to do anything Umbrellagate wouldn't.
A "real" scandal might break out of the fever swamp and into general circulation. It's less likely than it might have been because of the last five years of boy-who-cried-wolf from wingnuts, hilariously enough.

This is a real change from the 1990s, where every outlandish claim about Gore or the Clintons was treated as Profoundly Serious Business in the serious media, no matter how unlikely, nonsensical, or poorly sourced. Sitting members of the House tried to prove that Hillary murdered one of her aides. Heck, Bush Sr. spent the last couple weeks of his 1992 campaign arguing that there was a real chance that Bill Clinton was a deep-cover KGB agent, and the nation couldn't risk putting him in office (I'm serious. That was a thing that actually happened). Nowadays, this stuff mostly bounces around Drudge and Michelle Malkin's place and the Daily Caller and Fox News and never gets any traction outside of that. It's a hermetically-sealed funhouse, and growing majorities of Americans tune it out completely.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd love to be wrong, but I bet the "hope" bullshit gets brought up along the lines of Hollywood shilling for Obama and ruining the American ideals of Superman.

This would be so, so delicious since I just read in the Political Cartoons thread that Superman is basically responsible for outing the KKK as a racist group in America:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/23157/how-superman-defeated-ku-klux-klan

Edit: it would be unwise to say that Superman was the only thing, considering how many people loving died thanks to the Klan, but it took a fictional American icon to get people to wake up to the horrors of their country.

Armani fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 5, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Armani posted:

This would be so, so delicious since I just read in the Political Cartoons thread that Superman is basically responsible for outing the KKK as a racist group in America:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/23157/how-superman-defeated-ku-klux-klan

The Superman radio show outed the KKK as an organization with laughably absurd titles and rituals not as racists. Everyone already knew they were racists.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Install Gentoo posted:

The Superman radio show outed the KKK as an organization with laughably absurd titles and rituals not as racists. Everyone already knew they were racists.

Isn't it kind of unsettling that it took a completely fictional narrative to instill people with common sense? Like, holy poo poo, SUPERMAN thinks these dudes are idiots! What kind of person am I?

People attach themselves to media in weird ways. It's actually why a poo poo ton of people are racist to begin: they're scared of boogeyman narratives. Most straight-up racist 'gently caress anyone not-white' like never talk with other minorities. Usually because they're loving terrified of them! It's usually based in television and media stereotypes.

Takes a narrative to kill another, maybe?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

This article appeared on my Facebook. It is a "newspaper" from a town I used to work in. This paper got its start by publishing which cops were partying/speeding on the weekends. It was more of a gossip rag back then but now people use it as a legitimate source (this paper also bought into the sandy hook conspiracies).

http://www.disclosurenewsonline.com/2013/06/04/flyers-causing-uproar-throughout-olney/

This article is about a KKK flyer that has been spread around a town I used to work in. The article goes down the rabbit hole so quickly.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Armani posted:

Isn't it kind of unsettling that it took a completely fictional narrative to instill people with common sense? Like, holy poo poo, SUPERMAN thinks these dudes are idiots! What kind of person am I?

People attach themselves to media in weird ways. It's actually why a poo poo ton of people are racist to begin: they're scared of boogeyman narratives. Most straight-up racist 'gently caress anyone not-white' like never talk with other minorities. Usually because they're loving terrified of them! It's usually based in television and media stereotypes.

Takes a narrative to kill another, maybe?

To be fair, I think it might have gone more like, "Wow, those KKK people aren't really that mysterious and scary. I guess they aren't the cool thing to join anymore."

Still pretty bad and lovely, but a bit less ridiculous.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Capfalcon posted:

To be fair, I think it might have gone more like, "Wow, those KKK people aren't really that mysterious and scary. I guess they aren't the cool thing to join anymore."

That, and a tremendously popular show about a superhero of unimpeachable character took a stand against the Klan. Provided some moral ammo to go with the demystification.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Capfalcon posted:

This was seriously the point of the whole enterprise. The KKK had often been respected as a Serious Organization that people should support. The Superman stuff revealed it for what it really was: an organization with all sorts of goofy and bizarre titles and rituals and all that, and immediately people started leaving because their friends and colleagues would mock them for participating in it.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Man, I thought this country for the most part was done with interracial marriage hate. Can't wait for Kindergarten!

Phone posted:

I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe... Bikes weaving against the direction of traffic off the shoulder of Broadway. I watched reflectors glitter in the dark near Times Square. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like tears.. in... rain. Time... to ride...

This is brilliant.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Today Mike Huckabee was talking about how he was just so dismayed that CERTAIN PEOPLE can't look past political differences and acknowledge that the IRS targeting people politically is universally wrong. Aside from the fact that most liberals I see online are decrying it only slightly less noisily than the Tea Party, I was trying to think of issues that conservatives refuse to fall on the correct side of because their team is on the wrong side.

Climate change is the big one I could think of, but I am sure there are plenty more. Iran-Contra is another good one. If Oliver North was a Democrat they would rightfully call him a war criminal, but instead he's a hero and gets his own show on Fox.

Just projection all day every day. It's frustrating.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I can't believe the irony when they refer to the IRS scandal as "the IRS targeting specific political groups." Isn't the whole point that they aren't supposed to be tax exempt if they are primarily a political group?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I can't believe the irony when they refer to the IRS scandal as "the IRS targeting specific political groups." Isn't the whole point that they aren't supposed to be tax exempt if they are primarily a political group?

I don't know enough about tax law to really say anything definitive but it seems like they could and probably were trying to register as 527s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/527_organization

The issue isn't that they were refusing them tax-exempt status, the issue is that they were sending them made-up bullshit forms that were extremely difficult or even impossible to properly fill out to roadblock their application process.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Also it turns out they weren't targetting specific political groups, but a wide range. The Tea Party groups that were complaining were actually a minority of those requested to provide extra paperwork.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I don't know enough about tax law to really say anything definitive but it seems like they could and probably were trying to register as 527s.

They weren't. The illegitimate scrutiny was for groups attempting to register as 501(c)(4)s, which are required to be operated exclusively for the promotion of some social welfare goal. They're allowed to engage in politics (Citizens United is a 501(c)(4)), but the purpose of the group can't be politics.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Amarkov posted:

They weren't. The illegitimate scrutiny was for groups attempting to register as 501(c)(4)s, which are required to be operated exclusively for the promotion of some social welfare goal. They're allowed to engage in politics (Citizens United is a 501(c)(4)), but the purpose of the group can't be politics.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Today Mike Huckabee was talking about how he was just so dismayed that CERTAIN PEOPLE can't look past political differences and acknowledge that the IRS targeting people politically is universally wrong. Aside from the fact that most liberals I see online are decrying it only slightly less noisily than the Tea Party, I was trying to think of issues that conservatives refuse to fall on the correct side of because their team is on the wrong side.

Climate change is the big one I could think of, but I am sure there are plenty more. Iran-Contra is another good one. If Oliver North was a Democrat they would rightfully call him a war criminal, but instead he's a hero and gets his own show on Fox.

Just projection all day every day. It's frustrating.

My incredibly right-wing father-in-law was going on and on about Obama scandals to me. I brought up Iran/Contra and how Fox News had given Oliver North his own show.

"Oliver North is a true American hero."

When I asked how on earth that could be, he explained that North was following orders, like a good soldier should, and his superiors left him out to dry for their crimes. "His superiors?" "Yeah, Ronald Reagan, he's the traitor. He really wasn't very conservative." I started laughing uncontrollably and I still can't even explain why or what.

I don't know where he picked that one up--he's hardwired into everything from Drudge to Glenn Beck to Hannity.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Göring, Keitel and Raeder, true German heroes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The issue isn't that they were refusing them tax-exempt status, the issue is that they were sending them made-up bullshit forms that were extremely difficult or even impossible to properly fill out to roadblock their application process.

The issue was that a Right Wing True American Patriot Group (tm) was put under any scrutiny at all. It doesn't matter if other groups were or were not scrutinized or looked at at all it was that a Right Wing one was. We all know the right never lies and is properly American in every way. The Right Wing would never, ever do anything dishonest or illegal, nor would they seek favorable tax statuses that they shouldn't have. Just ignore everything the Right Wing does. If it's wrong there's a Right reason for it so just let it slide, but you simply MUST LOOK AT EVERY SINGLE THING the left wing lieberals do because even if it seems right at the surface it's just a cover for murdering as many babies as possible.

XyloJW posted:

My incredibly right-wing father-in-law was going on and on about Obama scandals to me. I brought up Iran/Contra and how Fox News had given Oliver North his own show.

"Oliver North is a true American hero."

When I asked how on earth that could be, he explained that North was following orders, like a good soldier should, and his superiors left him out to dry for their crimes. "His superiors?" "Yeah, Ronald Reagan, he's the traitor. He really wasn't very conservative." I started laughing uncontrollably and I still can't even explain why or what.

I don't know where he picked that one up--he's hardwired into everything from Drudge to Glenn Beck to Hannity.

Yeah that's been an increasingly common theme lately. Reagan wasn't conservative enough. The Republicans of the past were all RINOs. If you aren't so far to the right you make Stalin look like a dirty liberal you are wrong.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah that's been an increasingly common theme lately. Reagan wasn't conservative enough. The Republicans of the past were all RINOs. If you aren't so far to the right you make Stalin look like a dirty liberal you are wrong.

They've masturbated to the white-washed Reagan legacy so much that it doesn't turn them on anymore, so they need to shift further to the right to get their kicks. Man, never thought I'd see they day Repubs would admit it.

From 1980: Reagan and Bush Sr. debate illegal immigrants: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixi9_cciy8w

Bush Sr. even refers to them as human beings! Reagan says American hasn't been "sensitive enough" to the country's "size and power." COMMUNISM! :freep:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Keep in mind this was just one Republican a couple months ago. It's possible he didn't hear that from anywhere, and it's his own personal apocryphal opinion that Reagan was a motherfucker. I've never heard another Republican express outright anger at Reagan, but I'm not jacked in to the Tea Party bubble.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

All the sane republicans have effectively become Democrats (even if they didn't change what is on their registration). My co-worker is a lifetime "Republican" and says Obama is the best republican president since Reagan. He even passed their health care proposal for them.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

nm posted:

All the sane republicans have effectively become Democrats (even if they didn't change what is on their registration). My co-worker is a lifetime "Republican" and says Obama is the best republican president since Reagan. He even passed their health care proposal for them.

I'm not sure I'm as comfortable with this level of honesty as I'd like to be.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

nm posted:

The Democratic party is bending over backwards to convert Republicans. It's kind of sad really. I wish they had their own ideology to support.
http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/06/florida-dems-snub-their-own-challenger-rick-scott

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm not sure I'm as comfortable with this level of honesty as I'd like to be.

His friend at least sounds like an honest Republican. For all the Reagan worship that goes on in right wing circles, if he were running today, he'd get primaried in a heartbeat. It's funny watching the stuff that came out today about the Verizon phone records and seeing Republicans suddenly coming to grips with the obvious problems of Patriot Act.

I expect Hannity and O'Reilly to go full bore with it today. I'm sure Rush devoted his entire show to it today. When GWB was doing it, everyone opposed to it hated America and was a dirty liberal. What will remain unreported and unmentioned is that the ACLU and true liberal was never in favor of this type of surveillance from the very get go, Obama's not now nor has ever been a far left liberal and that none of us are more OK with it now than we were then.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

His friend at least sounds like an honest Republican. For all the Reagan worship that goes on in right wing circles, if he were running today, he'd get primaried in a heartbeat.

I don't buy it. Reagan was a used car salesman that was just a hollow shell used to push the interests of the rich. If he was alive today he'd just play off current trends and use his folksy bullshit to sell the GOP on himself. The policies of Reagan during his presidency are meaningless in a discussion of a hypothetical current gen Reagan.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

I don't usually recommend listening to Glenn Beck because, honestly, his shtick is pretty boring compared to most right wing hosts. The recent NSA revelations play directly into his agenda 21 UN takeover fluoride conspiracy theme, though, and he's in rare form today. So if you want to hear insane ramblings about how the government has been spying on him through his TV and how everyone needs to throw away their phones and shift back to cans connected by string, tune in today.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I subscribe to Glenn Beck on the Facebook and make a point to read the stuff that gets posted on his website. Not because I believe any of it but because it amuses me how utterly loving bonkers he's gotten. It's a guilty pleasure sure but I've been watching his descent into madness for a decade.

For those of you who joined us, Glenn Beck literally and honestly believes that SomethingAwful, in particular our EVE Online presence in Goonfleet, is a CIA front. Seriously. This man actually believes that.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
He really honestly believes saying it will get him money at any rate. Keep in mind that this is the same Glenn Beck who told Forbes "I could give a flying crap about the political process. We're an entertainment company."

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0426/entertainment-fox-news-simon-schuster-glenn-beck-inc.html

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 8, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Glenn Beck might claim to be just doing entertainment and whatnot, but anybody who takes a look at Mormonism and goes "yeah, I want a piece of that" is a bit more than an entertainer.

e: VVV I was talking about Mormonism in general :confused:

Phone fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 8, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

quote:

Glenn Beck might claim to be just doing entertainment and whatnot, but anybody who takes a look at a particular Mormon woman and goes "yeah, I want a piece of that" is predictable enough, I suppose

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kalos posted:

He really honestly believes saying it will get him money at any rate. Keep in mind that this is the same Glenn Beck who told Forbes "I could give a flying crap about the political process. We're an entertainment company."

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0426/entertainment-fox-news-simon-schuster-glenn-beck-inc.html

That's the cop out used by companies that don't want to sound like they're journalism or are responding to real, actual events that have, in fact, happened. Or maybe I'm just extremely cynical.

I remember listening to Glenn's radio show and hearing the insanity he spouted off. He seriously sounded like every single thing the left did was done out of malice just to spite good, God-fearing Christians. His conspiracy theories got even worse. As much as you might say "well it's just entertainment" the problem is that it's presented as if he's speaking The Truth and there are people that truly, actually believe him.

May I remind you about how much noise coverage went to Obama's birth certificate. As much as people might like to say "well, it's just entertainment, we can do whatever the gently caress we want" this does affect public opinion.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

May I remind you about how much noise coverage went to Obama's birth certificate. As much as people might like to say "well, it's just entertainment, we can do whatever the gently caress we want" this does affect public opinion.

Sounds like you hate free speech, Adolf :foxnews:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

He didn't start off dating a Mormon woman and converted, his non-religious wife told him to go find a religion and Glenn found Mormonism.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
edit: nm

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I do consider LAMEstream media to be somewhat accurate given that Glenn Beck is known as anything other than "That liar who pretended to be a paranoid moron in order to fleece paranoid morons."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AsInHowe posted:

He didn't start off dating a Mormon woman and converted, his non-religious wife told him to go find a religion and Glenn found Mormonism.

That's hilarious. Well, I guess that's why they walk around the neighborhood, you never know when a drunk is going to run out into the street looking for a religion.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Kalos posted:

I fear that he might have kept it at a more sane level to get money and is now cares less about money and is completely of the rails. Its so bad you most of the time cant even enjoy his ridiculousness because its just to much gloom and doom at the hand of the caliphate and the un.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'm posting this because I am anticipating idiotic reactions from the right wing media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHhMcE4kmo8

I am happy for her, but also I am amused because of all the mythical machismo stuff surrounding seal team 6 that has been going on for the last couple years in video games, tv, and movies. (I'm looking at you, Black Ops 2.)

It's a nice kick in the balls of all that, and shows that people of any gender stripe are capable of achieving the highest levels of presumably "macho" accomplishment.