Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blackheart posted:

Since things like the bird wing understanding scene (although that could be more symbolic), or how she can interpret the "unreadable" robot code in the cube. At least the way I read those scenes is that Kat's mechanical abilities do have some supernatural component. ( I meant it isn't "natural" as in it isn't just above-average aptitude aqcuired from study)

I'd say ever since she casually created an anti-gravity device, as -- if it needs to be reminded -- a young girl who apparently still needs to attend physics classes since the Court doesn't exempt her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Don't forget how she created the anti gravity device just to show off protein crystals! :v:

She was so unhappy that everybody focused on the device.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Dr Pepper posted:

Don't forget how she created the anti gravity device just to show off protein crystals! :v:

I still want to know what Zimmy's 'abomination' was.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

What Foley students aren't? Seems to me that with the exception of Shadow, who Jones snuck in and wasn't assigned normally to the house, everyone there is an animal or fairy who was transformed into a human.

According to Word Of Tom, Brinnie was in Foley house. She came from Valhalla, not the forest.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Dr Pepper posted:

Not only that they focused on the device itself instead of the protein crystals, but the fact that they then seemingly forgot about it totally. Flash in the pan. Even when she went on to turn said anti-gravity device into a fully-maneuverable personal hoverbike, nobody in the court even noticed. She must be absolutely gutted about that.

Then again, it speaks to Kat's innate stealth abilities, that she was able to not only develop the flying bike-thingy undercover, but also sneak out and rescue Annie from the canyon floor without being detected. :3:

vvvv ahh, I knew I should have double-checked the relevant pages! That's what I get for reciting from memory.

Zero Star fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 8, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They did notice, and the Court dismantled the vehicle afterwards according to Tom.

vvvv Yup, it wasn't said in-comic vvvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 8, 2013

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Zero Star posted:

vvvv ahh, I knew I should have double-checked the relevant pages! That's what I get for reciting from memory.

I'm pretty positive that it didn't happen in the actual comic, so I'm guessing it's something Tom said on his blog.

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!
Thinking about it, do we really know that much about Renard? Obviously we know he was tricked by the Court and about his feelings for Annie's mother, but we haven't really seen much about his background. Sure he's mellowed out over the course of the comic, but he hasn't had a chapter about him since he was introduced. I have a feeling we're going to finally find out about the man he killed.

And some bonus Renards talking to each other. I have too much fun animating things:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm surprised he's allowed to just go to and fro like that. You'd think Elgamore would be on his rear end anytime he's not in Annie's custody

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

I'd say ever since she casually created an anti-gravity device, as -- if it needs to be reminded -- a young girl who apparently still needs to attend physics classes since the Court doesn't exempt her.

To be fair, we have no idea what base level of technology, components and theory she was working with/had access to due to being in the Court. He father made a rocket with some kind of warp drive when he was at school in the court 30 years ago, after all. I mean, it's obviously still massively impressive and unexpected, but it's not like you or I making one.

Tenebrais posted:

According to Word Of Tom, Brinnie was in Foley house. She came from Valhalla, not the forest.

Pretty sure he said she was in Chester. Which makes sense, as it's the 'not entirely human/weird poo poo' house.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 8, 2013

Diet Conan Doyle
Jan 15, 2010

Watch as I pluck the moon from the very sky!

Macaluso posted:

I'm surprised he's allowed to just go to and fro like that. You'd think Elgamore would be on his rear end anytime he's not in Annie's custody

I'd be pretty interested to see how different people react to him without Annie around. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Eglamore or other staff confronting him.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Macaluso posted:

The court keeps tabs on every student, I think it's safe to assume Renard's under surveillance too. Anja's supercomputer can incapacitate him, maybe it can also track him via babble babble technical wizardry jargon.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Pretty sure he said she was in Chester. Which makes sense, as it's the 'not entirely human/weird poo poo' house.

It was Foley. Perhaps Foley is the house for those who didn't grow up in normal human society, so that they have that in common. Zimmy probably knew what a haircut is, for example.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

Thinking about it, do we really know that much about Renard?

Well, Renard is the central character of a series of European folk tales (Popular enough to the point where "renard" has become the french word for fox) in which he serves a similar role to Coyote, that of a trickster. The main target of his pranks being Ysengrin. One tale was him tricking Ysengrin to fish with his tail in the middle of winter, leading it to end up frozen in ice. When Renard tells Ysengrin to get up, he replies with "You don't know what you're saying, deceiver. I have all of Scotland hanging from my buttocks."

In other words we need more of Renard being a hilarious dick. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tenebrais posted:

It was Foley. Perhaps Foley is the house for those who didn't grow up in normal human society, so that they have that in common. Zimmy probably knew what a haircut is, for example.

Oh, okay. That makes sense, I guess. They are houses for classes, after all;maybe Foley kids have a 'how to be human' class.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Diet Conan Doyle posted:

I'd be pretty interested to see how different people react to him without Annie around. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Eglamore or other staff confronting him.

It's actually very rare to see any characters interacting without Annie around.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Well, Renard is the central character of a series of European folk tales (Popular enough to the point where "renard" has become the french word for fox) in which he serves a similar role to Coyote, that of a trickster. The main target of his pranks being Ysengrin. One tale was him tricking Ysengrin to fish with his tail in the middle of winter, leading it to end up frozen in ice. When Renard tells Ysengrin to get up, he replies with "You don't know what you're saying, deceiver. I have all of Scotland hanging from my buttocks."

In other words we need more of Renard being a hilarious dick. :v:

I wonder how much Renard from the folk tales exists in the comics version of him.

Maybe after Tom finishes with the Annie in the Forest comics he'll make one about Rey and Ys before Coyote showed up.

Also he should do a Zimmy and Gamma comic.

And a Jones comic.

Look just make comics for every single characters I need more of everything and everyone in Gunnerkrigg.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Blackheart posted:

They did notice, and the Court dismantled the vehicle afterwards according to Tom.

It's never mentioned, but thinking back it is pretty odd for them to allow Kat to take a hover bike across the river to pick up Annie. While it may seem normal from Annie's perspective to get to cross over to the forest, it seems like the rest of the population of the Court never ever goes there. Except for Eglamore, in his official role, and of course Jones. Even crossing the bridge without clearance appears to set off a loud alarm (except when robot did it the first time, for some reason). I suspect they allowed Kat to do her thing and didn't say anything about it so they could have plausible deniability if Ysengrin and Coyote came to ask just what the hell a technological device was doing flying around on their side of the river. From Ysengrin's reaction to the dead tic-toc, it seems like the sort of thing that the forest could use an excuse for war, if they were so inclined.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BobTheJanitor posted:

It's never mentioned, but thinking back it is pretty odd for them to allow Kat to take a hover bike across the river to pick up Annie.

I don't think they 'allowed' her, I think she just went.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

BobTheJanitor posted:

It's never mentioned, but thinking back it is pretty odd for them to allow Kat to take a hover bike across the river to pick up Annie. While it may seem normal from Annie's perspective to get to cross over to the forest, it seems like the rest of the population of the Court never ever goes there. Except for Eglamore, in his official role, and of course Jones. Even crossing the bridge without clearance appears to set off a loud alarm (except when robot did it the first time, for some reason). I suspect they allowed Kat to do her thing and didn't say anything about it so they could have plausible deniability if Ysengrin and Coyote came to ask just what the hell a technological device was doing flying around on their side of the river. From Ysengrin's reaction to the dead tic-toc, it seems like the sort of thing that the forest could use an excuse for war, if they were so inclined.

Apparently (and again, this isn't mentioned in-comic) it's mostly safe for humans to even cross the bridge and set foot on the other side. Try to enter the forest and go past a few trees however, and you're pretty much hosed. The base of the annan waters themselves are pretty "safe" too, if you don't count the murderous psycho ghost.

When we first saw Coyote and Ysengrin crossing over to meet with the Court, it seems Coyote still wanted to lure Renard back to the forest by trickery (something he claims to have given up since then). I don't know if the whole Tic-Toc deal was a part of that (just an excuse to call a meeting), but there's something fishy with Ysengrin's behavior there.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I wonder how much Renard from the folk tales exists in the comics version of him.

Maybe after Tom finishes with the Annie in the Forest comics he'll make one about Rey and Ys before Coyote showed up.

Also he should do a Zimmy and Gamma comic.

And a Jones comic.

Look just make comics for every single characters I need more of everything and everyone in Gunnerkrigg.

Give me a comic about Paz getting love advice from Bobby The Traumatising Robot and I will be happy.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Speaking of Coyote and Ysengrin, are they looking like really complex etherial computer programs to anyone else in this picture? http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=677
I mean Coyotes secret is that he was created or dreamt of by humans so maybe thats what this is about?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Teron D Amun posted:

Speaking of Coyote and Ysengrin, are they looking like really complex etherial computer programs to anyone else in this picture? http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=677
I mean Coyotes secret is that he was created or dreamt of by humans so maybe thats what this is about?

Not really. Coyote looking like that suggests an eldritch horror more than an etheric program to me.

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
I'd say etheric structures rather than programs. As in, those occur naturally and the etheric programs are man-made.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I don't think they 'allowed' her, I think she just went.

I re-read this the other day in fact and if I remember correctly there's a panel after Kat explains that she re-purposed her anti-grav unit that shows her in the foreground and a silhouette in the background that I assume is her father, Donny. I took this to mean that he approved of what she was trying to do (save a friend) and would probably cover her rear end if the Court tried to punish her too heavily.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

runwiled posted:

I re-read this the other day in fact and if I remember correctly there's a panel after Kat explains that she re-purposed her anti-grav unit that shows her in the foreground and a silhouette in the background that I assume is her father, Donny. I took this to mean that he approved of what she was trying to do (save a friend) and would probably cover her rear end if the Court tried to punish her too heavily.

Poking around in the chapter where she rescues Annie, she straight up says that her father helped here. Although I'm still sticking with my theory that the court allowed her to do it so they didn't have to be the ones crossing the river and possibly causing the forest side to get angry about it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure that's the Donlans' house?

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

I look forward to this chapter greatly but the pacing, while expected here, is going to drive me mad.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah that's the Donlans'... I like this development quite a bit.

Hm, yeah it looks a bit different in that one. Eh, we'll find out I guess.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 10, 2013

motbob
Feb 19, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

Pretty sure that's the Donlans' house?

I am not sure.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Close enough for my tastes. Stairs and shrub apartment. But yeah, one of those pages that'll fit into the books better than as a webcomic update. :smith:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Stairway is different, windows are different; not the Donlans' house unless it has been redecorated heavily (which isn't impossible given Court weirdness and an army of robots).

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Could be Eglamore's pad. Tony Carver is a Bit of a Tosser Club, confirmed!

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Trying to think of anyone in the Court Rey would be interested to see.

Oh, maybe it's Surma's old place...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah those windows are significantly different from the ones on the Donlans' house.

Also the uh thingy at the end of the stairs... whatever it's called, is different. So yeah.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
A gigantic but mostly deserted city stretching to the horizon, maintained by an endless army of robots, with the human population huddled in a tiny section nearest the only crossing of the great river.

Hmm.

The architecture seems built to simulate normal urban architecture than actually be purpose-built, though. It looks... Victorian? With the bay windows? But there would normally be no need to build such narrow and tall houses, not when the entire place is so desolate.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah those windows are significantly different from the ones on the Donlans' house.

Also the uh thingy at the end of the stairs... whatever it's called, is different. So yeah.

Windows aren't different, but the biggest give away is that statue at the end of the bannister.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

dyzzy posted:

That's what we hope it is. In truth, Rey stops by Eglamore's place and recreates the "It's not your fault." scene from Good Will Hunting, re: Surma.

James Eglamore, a titan of a man. Now a complete wreck, bawling his eyes out against an animated stuffed toy.

Cue end symbol. Thanks for reading!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

dyzzy posted:

Today, they can finally perform Zimmy's initiation ceremony.

In my mind every house in england looks like this :britain:

LtStorm posted:

I look forward to this chapter greatly but the pacing, while expected here, is going to drive me mad.

You know, when I did my whole reading to properly catch up after postponing it for so long, there were a lot of chapters where I felt "yeah, it must have been a nightmare to read this part as it came out" but reading it in one go it was great.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoky Bandana
Oct 1, 2009

You can trip on my synthesizer.
I'm in the same boat as you, Blackheart. Started reading Gunnerkrigg for the first time a couple of fridays ago and was lucky to catch up just in time for the :3:-storm. Never really followed a webcomic before so I'm sure the pacing'll kill me.
The art's pretty though, it's worth a couple day wait for gorgeous wolves and architecture.