Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
How long does it usually take to get a plot moving? I am at plot power of 99.3% and need to bump off this kid before he comes of age and produces an heir himself so I can get Ormond back under my dynasty's control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sometimes my Liege asks me to join him in wars, but can I ever ask him for help? Right now I've got a ten thousand man army from the King of Scotland bearing down on Dublin. I just drained my treasury and levy fighting off some jerk from France that had a beef with my Liege (and therefore me I guess) and still only mustered about four thousand men. In other words even on my best day I'm not going to stop this Scottish army. But I'm a vassal of the HRE, surely they can help?

So is there like a "please send troops!" diplomacy option? I see a "request invasion" option under my Liege's diplomacy, but I don't have sufficient piety. I'm actually playing the game in Windowed mode right now, so your advice will decide the fate of my pitiful kingdom.

On a side note, what's going to happen if the King of Scotland crushes me and claims all my land (the title of his war includes all my holdings, which I'm taking as a bad sign for me...) I mean will I just be working for him now, or is this gonna be game over?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wanna be able to build a níðstöng to my enemies. Nothing quite says "I don't like you" like a horses head mounted on a pole with a carved inscription declaring that the target is a schmuck, casting a curse on him and encouraging all spirits to attack him.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A Tartan Tory posted:

Despot Macbeth of Scotland somehow got himself a CB on Wessex and is currently taking over all of the UK for me.

He started off as a Scottish refugee I gave Corsica to for amusement, went on to become Duke of Sardinia, then King of Scotland and is now almost Emperor of Brittania! :psyduck:

Why should I play the Roman fool, and die on mine own sword? Whiles I see lives, the gashes do better upon them.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Sometimes my Liege asks me to join him in wars, but can I ever ask him for help? Right now I've got a ten thousand man army from the King of Scotland bearing down on Dublin. I just drained my treasury and levy fighting off some jerk from France that had a beef with my Liege (and therefore me I guess) and still only mustered about four thousand men. In other words even on my best day I'm not going to stop this Scottish army. But I'm a vassal of the HRE, surely they can help?

So is there like a "please send troops!" diplomacy option? I see a "request invasion" option under my Liege's diplomacy, but I don't have sufficient piety. I'm actually playing the game in Windowed mode right now, so your advice will decide the fate of my pitiful kingdom.

On a side note, what's going to happen if the King of Scotland crushes me and claims all my land (the title of his war includes all my holdings, which I'm taking as a bad sign for me...) I mean will I just be working for him now, or is this gonna be game over?

People have to declare war on your liege to take your holdings, so your liege SHOULD be helping. If not, I guess he's just being kind of a dick.

The "Request Invasion" option is actually you sending a letter to the pope and asking him if it's okay with God if you invade this guy. So definitely don't do that on your liege.

As for what happens to you, it depends on what the war is for. If Scotland has a de jure claim on your lands, then he'll probably become your leige. If he's holy warring or conquesting, then you're probably going to get kicked out.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Flame112 posted:

People have to declare war on your liege to take your holdings, so your liege SHOULD be helping. If not, I guess he's just being kind of a dick.

The AI also kind of sucks at naval transport, so the HRE might not be all that great at defending Ireland, especially if they're busy with their own problems.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

IMO the norse culture needs to have a schism event where a Norse Horned Helmet Wearing faction develops and is mortal enemies of Norse Hornless Helmet Wearers. Then you would see internal wars between the horned and hornless and it would only end when one side of Vikings were destroyed. From the end of the war onward, all Norse characters would develop the Horned Helmet or Hornless Helmet trait, giving them either a prestige or piety boost every month.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Dallan Invictus posted:

I haven't downloaded Girl Power yet (shockingly), but the "save mods/DLC choices in the launcher" behaviour is controlled by a file in the main settings directory. If it has its own settings/save games directory (like, for example, Game of Thrones) then it won't stick like CK2+ does.

This will blow your mind. Rename "Girl Power.mod" to "Girl_Power.mod". Any .mod file with spaces in the name will not stick between game sessions.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I decided to throw caution to the wind and start a pagan game today. Started as Ivar the Boneless in the middle of two wars, once of which I was already at -80% and even through I reconquered Scotland and declared myself the king in the norf I was still losing warscore constantly despite none of my holdings being sieged and losing no battle, and very shortly automatically surrendered :confused: A viking should know no defeat other than dining with Odin in Valhalla. What the hell??

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I'm playing in the Republic of Amalfi, which is pretty fun. The Cumans reformed their faith way early in 900. I really wonder what'll happen with the Mongols. Are they going to be Old Tengri or, god forbid, reformed? :ohdear:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

SeaborneClink posted:

I decided to throw caution to the wind and start a pagan game today. Started as Ivar the Boneless in the middle of two wars, once of which I was already at -80% and even through I reconquered Scotland and declared myself the king in the norf I was still losing warscore constantly despite none of my holdings being sieged and losing no battle, and very shortly automatically surrendered :confused: A viking should know no defeat other than dining with Odin in Valhalla. What the hell??

If you do not control one barony level holding in the targeted area of the war, you will get ticking warscore against you, no matter how much battles you win.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

A Tartan Tory posted:

If you do not control one barony level holding in the targeted area of the war, you will get ticking warscore against you, no matter how much battles you win.

Does occupation count? I had solid hashing on all but two counties in Scotland. I presume it doesn't because I still lost.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

Does occupation count? I had solid hashing on all but two counties in Scotland. I presume it doesn't because I still lost.

Are you sure it wasn't Jorvik's war for Northumberland that you were losing?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

LowellDND posted:

The more I play this game, the less I feel like I know it :eng99:

I started in 1066 and built up a nice little demense with fake claims/CB/mercenaries.
The next king united Ireland in the same way, and I married vast swathes of the kids off in England and Scotland. I think 8 duchies at one point had my kids as heirs.
I was thinking they would just deliver the realms to me, but they turned out to be independent factions. (One problem was that the heir line that I'm playing wasnt the one I was expecting; I had 4 genius daughters and 3 rebel/jailed sons, and the son's sons are who Im playing.) Im guessing that to inherit into my realm, they have to be playable characters, and not kinsmen or cousins?
I've had 3-4 province rebellions every couple years. Not sure why they keep doing it, but I jail them for life, its quiet, and then their kids do it all over again.
It ended up working out okay though - with an occasional assassin and sown dissent, England and Scotland have had 35 years of brutal civil war (levies at 5k-). I've peeled 3-4 provinces off of Scotland, and have De Jure claims to two more. Im guessing I cant grab them both in the next war?
Should I work on keeping the truce for now, putting false claims in 4-5 places and pressing them all at once? Or should I keep assassinating and starting one province wars? I dont think the heir to Scotland will matrilineally marry any of my daughters.

I didn't see anyone respond to this, so I'll try to take it point by point. The big thing is, your family isn't necessarily loyal to you. If they have nothing and then inherit an independent duchy, they'll happily rule that duchy without ever bowing to you. If you want them to be your vassals, there are a few ways. The first is, weirdly enough, just to ask: open up diplomacy with them and Offer Vassalization, and they'll probably accept if you're powerful/nice enough. The second is to press a family member's claim to the title: since they're run by family now, try inviting the second and third sons to your court after a generation or so. The third way would be to press de jure claims on them, if you can. If it's their only county, they'll swear fealty to you rather than you gaining the county directly.

As for your inheritance problem, pay close attention to your heir and your succession law. In this case, you got screwed by the gender laws. Every title has a succession type, like Agnatic Elective or Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture. Agnatic means "only men can inherit," Cognatic means "men and women can both inherit," and Agnatic-Cognatic means "men usually inherit, but women can too if we run out of men." With Ireland it probably starts off with Ag-Cog succession, so your daughters would only inherit if all your sons (and all their kids) happened to die somehow. You can play as anyone in your dynasty, as long as they're the next ones on the inheritance list.

Rebellions: usually it will tell you why this happens. It is probably faction based, meaning that one of your nobles will come up to you and say "hey, give us X or we'll kick your rear end." There's a special window on the top menu that lets you track the factions, what they want, and how strong they are. It's pretty normal to see people pushing for independence if they're not a de jure vassal / aren't your culture / are mad at you. There really isn't much you can do about it except for pacify the ones who are just mad and find reasons to arrest the others.

With regards to your Scottish war, you're right that you can only nab one de jure claim at a time. If you had multiple personal claims, you would be able to push several at once. The other thing you can do is harass the rebelling vassals, since they're not bound by your truce with the king, and the king won't be bound by your truce with them once the kingdom reunites. Move quickly though, because sometimes rebelling vassals will surrender to their liege if they start losing an outside war.

If you want to unite the kingdoms all at once, try marrying your son to a Scottish princess. She'll have a (probably weak) claim to the throne once her father dies, which you might be able to press to make her the Queen. That way, your kids will inherit both kingdoms peacefully (unless Gavelkind is involved). Make sure the kids from that marriage end up in your court, though, to avoid her giving them an imbecile Greek tutor and then matrilineally marrying them to a barmaid or something.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
A lot of people have said they'd like a Theocracy expansion next, as the final logical step in filling out things on the map you can't play as. However, I've been thinking recently, and I've started to feel that it'd be more fun to have the next expansion flesh out and refine other mechanics.

For example, the spy system. An expansion could really put a lot more detail into spying and intrigue. Surely my spymaster can't be the only spy I have in the entire realm! As a ruler, especially the ruler of a big Kingdom like France or an Empire like Byzantium, I want my spies in the court of every duke in the land and maybe even a few outside the land as well. A theoretical "Intrigue Expansion" could open up and reconfigure the Intrigue screen to have a list of spies working for you, with the head spy being your Spymaster, of course.

The skills and effectiveness of your spy organization would depend on the skill of your Spymaster and your Intrigue Score. Perhaps you could recruit people in other courts via the diplomacy menus to become your spies, by giving them a gift of gold, having your spymaster talk to them, or some other way. They might join you, refuse, or refuse and expose your plotting to their liege, depending on their relationship to you and the other guy. That would give me a reason to interact with, say, the lowborn courtier in Duke XYZ's court, rather than only dealing with the duke and his immediate relatives all the time, as I do now.

I think that would be a really fun way to expand on intrigue, and I'd be more than willing to pay for an expansion that did something like this. Even adding more possible plots than just assassination would be nice.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Can someone do me a favour and copy and paste the mapRenderingOptions in their settings text document? I've downloaded the performance mod but it appears to be a bit weird when combine with a widowed version of CK2 which I really can't do without so I want to restore it back to normal.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nolanar posted:

Rebellions: usually it will tell you why this happens. It is probably faction based, meaning that one of your nobles will come up to you and say "hey, give us X or we'll kick your rear end." There's a special window on the top menu that lets you track the factions, what they want, and how strong they are. It's pretty normal to see people pushing for independence if they're not a de jure vassal / aren't your culture / are mad at you. There really isn't much you can do about it except for pacify the ones who are just mad and find reasons to arrest the others.

You'll get a notification on the top of your screen when a faction has gotten large enough to consider rebelling. Mouseover it and it'll tell you which faction(s) are strong enough to rebel. For most factions, this is when they reach around 60-70% of your military strength, but the Independence faction is special and will rebel with around 30%. Also the Independence faction is hyper-aggressive and will not hesitate to rebel at the absolute worst possible time and potentially get the entire realm conquered by heathens in order to try and win, so watch out for them specifically.

Also, if you're playing Norse then sometimes when someone rebels you'll get an event where a bunch of outcasts and criminals sign up for their army, which tends to give them a giant gently caress-off stack of soldiers. So 70% of your manpower can quickly become 100% when every Tom, Dick and Harald shows up to fight for them.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Dauntasa posted:

You'll get a notification on the top of your screen when a faction has gotten large enough to consider rebelling. Mouseover it and it'll tell you which faction(s) are strong enough to rebel. For most factions, this is when they reach around 60-70% of your military strength, but the Independence faction is special and will rebel with around 30%. Also the Independence faction is hyper-aggressive and will not hesitate to rebel at the absolute worst possible time and potentially get the entire realm conquered by heathens in order to try and win, so watch out for them specifically.

Also, if you're playing Norse then sometimes when someone rebels you'll get an event where a bunch of outcasts and criminals sign up for their army, which tends to give them a giant gently caress-off stack of soldiers. So 70% of your manpower can quickly become 100% when every Tom, Dick and Harald shows up to fight for them.

Nothing sweeter than crushing a rebellion and sacrificing him to the blot, except maybe crushing a rebellion as an old benevolent ruler and then using your accrued good faith to banish the traitor.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
France stretches from eastern Spain all the way past the Rhine and into Poland, and is now a empire. I have noticed Hungary going mental, as well as the byz. France can raise around 120k... and it isn't even 1066 yet. :ohdear:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Whilst I like the sound of this, I'd honestly pay a full DLC's price just for the ability to join plots you learn of.

:hist101:: So I hear you're plotting to kill my firstborn son.
:byodame:: I swear I know not what you mean, my liege!
:hist101:: I'm in.
:j:: What?
:hist101:: I'm in. He's a useless rear end in a top hat who brings me nothing but trouble.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
I'm having a bastard of a time with this bastard of a game. I've got a beginner's question: I'm trying to appoint my 20 year-old nephew who thinks I rock to the stewardship of the realm, but he's not showing up as an available option. He's in my court and doesn't seem to have anything else to do with his hands. What's keeping me from appointing him?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Mister Adequate posted:

Whilst I like the sound of this, I'd honestly pay a full DLC's price just for the ability to join plots you learn of.

:hist101:: So I hear you're plotting to kill my firstborn son.
:byodame:: I swear I know not what you mean, my liege!
:hist101:: I'm in.
:j:: What?
:hist101:: I'm in. He's a useless rear end in a top hat who brings me nothing but trouble.

Why not just let it unfold, since only you can stop it. That way if they gently caress up and it gets revealed you wont be dropped in it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Axeface posted:

I'm having a bastard of a time with this bastard of a game. I've got a beginner's question: I'm trying to appoint my 20 year-old nephew who thinks I rock to the stewardship of the realm, but he's not showing up as an available option. He's in my court and doesn't seem to have anything else to do with his hands. What's keeping me from appointing him?

Is he in another position on your council?

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Is he in another position on your council?

No, he's not doing anything as far as I can determine. He's just...sitting there, ambitioning in the direction of Stewardship.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Are you sure it wasn't Jorvik's war for Northumberland that you were losing?

It must have been, I just assumed it was against me.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

BillBear posted:

Why not just let it unfold, since only you can stop it. That way if they gently caress up and it gets revealed you wont be dropped in it.

I think he's talking about adding your own plot power to a known plot. Make it more likely for it to succeed, plus I think co-conspirators don't get that "likes to assassinate people" trait.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Am I wrong in thinking that having all three flanks filled out in your army is better than only having one or two. I fought against a somewhat smaller army with my troops led by a considerably better general (including a +33% morale bonus) and I was handily beaten. While watching the battle unfold I got the impression that I lost because my army only had the central "flank" occupied, while my opponents army had just a few dozen men on either side.

My opponent seemed to have all flanks filled because he called up a few vassals to help him. Is there some other way I can fill out my flanks? Am I misunderstanding the battle system?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I recently noticed that the young queen of Sweden is childless . So I have her husband killed so I can marry her and our offspring inherit enough land to form an empire. Since her husband was Orthodox and a bit of a deuce it was quite easy to find people to join the plot, including the queen herself. But after he is dead I realize that I'm still married so I divorce my wife but a soon as it's through the queen has remarried. I have her second husband killed and quickly offer her marriage but she refuses to accept anything that isn't matrilineal and just marries some fat 16 year old.

:argh:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I recently noticed that the young queen of Sweden is childless . So I have her husband killed so I can marry her and our offspring inherit enough land to form an empire. Since her husband was Orthodox and a bit of a deuce it was quite easy to find people to join the plot, including the queen herself. But after he is dead I realize that I'm still married so I divorce my wife but a soon as it's through the queen has remarried. I have her second husband killed and quickly offer her marriage but she refuses to accept anything that isn't matrilineal and just marries some fat 16 year old.

:argh:

I had this situation with the Queen of Denmark. no kids, no husband, 3 sisters. None of them would marry me except the youngest one. 4 assassinations later, my son is the future King of Denmark and Norway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BillBear posted:

I feel like I finally got the hang of this game today when I (along with the rest of my immediate family) conspired to have my grandson murdered so that my second son (a diplomatic genius) would become heir. Then my second son did me a solid and had the pope lift my excommunication.

:getin:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

Okay, I really don't know what's up. Could someone take a look at this map and see if they can help suss out what's wrong with it? I don't understand why it's still crashing at Calculating Paths. I am not good at this.

The beta patch notes were posted right after this so no one ever responded. If anyone's up for it, could they please give a look at this map mod and figure out what's up? I just wanna make maps that work. :(

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I had this situation with the Queen of Denmark. no kids, no husband, 3 sisters. None of them would marry me except the youngest one. 4 assassinations later, my son is the future King of Denmark and Norway.
I found an elegant and clever solution to this:
I invaded and simply took the country.

She was fighting an indepandance rebellion, some dude's host and trying to invade to different places so it was pretty easy. She is now queen of Finland living in a tiny province of Findland on the coast of the indpendant and rather large jarldom of Finland.

e:
The queen has died and her husband is now married to the queen of Denmark who was the niece and concubine of the former king.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 8, 2013

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Update on Despot MacBeth, died to Danish pagans at age 89 after being sacrificed at a blot. :smith:

Went from landless refugee, to Count of Corsica, to Duke of Sardinia, To King of Scotland/Wales and Duke of Northumbria/Lancaster.

Truly a legend that deserves a play!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Okay well this is weird.

I'm trying to back edit a save; I had a long line of Emperors all with the same realm name, say, "Bob" thus the current Bob might be 'Bob the IXth'. However way back in my family tree before ever having a King/Emperor title I had the First Great Bob who had only a duchy, but founded the Great House of Bob.

How do I edit the save so he's listed as the first 'Honorary' Emperor and thus shows up in the save with the empire symbol and 'The First' while all the other bobs get incremented by one?

Attempt at a solution: I went to the dead first Bob and added "e_[title]" under his list of old holdings, and then I went to the e_[title] and added that he was a holder with the currectish date.

The problem is that for some reason it makes this makes him Bob Xth, while the current Bob (the IXth) is still around and I can't at all figure out why this is.

e: Figured it out, there's a "previous" ruler line which I had to add it in, and placement mattered.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 8, 2013

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Flag looks nice. Religion and empire creation working like it should. Localizations are a bit off.......

e: I GOT IT! I'll pretend sparta is a hyper-advanced society with internet. And everything with internet has e at the start of it!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ButWhatIf posted:

How long does it usually take to get a plot moving? I am at plot power of 99.3% and need to bump off this kid before he comes of age and produces an heir himself so I can get Ormond back under my dynasty's control.

As far as I know, plots start having a random chance to fire at 100+% plot power, increasing in frequency with higher plot power. Below 100%, no joy, sorry!

SeaborneClink posted:

Occupation is the relevant concept. You probably weren't occupying the actual territory under dispute, though. (Possibly you were occupying an ally's territory?) It's hard to say what the exact problem was without screenshots, which of course by now you probably aren't able to provide.

Dauntasa posted:

This is not an exclusively Norse event & dates to one or two patches ago. It's a real annoyance. (Though once in a while, the rag-tag armies appear on the ruler's side, which is nice when you're him.)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

As far as I know, plots start having a random chance to fire at 100+% plot power, increasing in frequency with higher plot power. Below 100%, no joy, sorry!

Plots definitely fire below 100%.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I decided to give the Norman Duke of Apulia a go, which was not a very good choice. I started with 1 Diplomacy and the very second I unpaused a faction was formed against me. I was called into three wars by the end of the next year and had two rebelling vassals. For whatever reason Venice decides to take one of my cities and I inevitably lose my men to the never ending mercenaries. In the middle of the war with Venice one of my vassals (who controls his own mercenary band :toot:) rebels against me. I was under the assumption that this was a newbie start but I have gotten my rear end handed to me time after time. Has it changed significantly since TOG was released?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

CapnAndy posted:

Ah goddammit, you're right, I was conflating Cicero governing Sicily after serving as Quaestor with what he did while he was Quaestor. I like my way, though, just for the old-school feel.

In game terms the Quaestor should be most likely the steward.

Not that there's a shortage of old republican titles for offices http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cursus_honorum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So I have this vassal inheritance warning for one of my counties, the heir isn't of my line, but I managed to betroth them to one of my daughters. Can I press that claim and just take the county back down the line? I have a truce for another 8 years because of a different matter, but once that's up I can just revoke it if need be, but I don't want to take the rep hit.

E: Haha holy poo poo, I started this game at 7:30 and it's 12:30 now. :v:

Lyer fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 8, 2013

• Locked thread