Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Don't worry guys he got better :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Why couldn't he be in Injustice! We needed a MODOK. :(

At least he isn't insanely racist looking anymore.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

Why couldn't he be in Injustice! We needed a MODOK. :(

At least he isn't insanely racist looking anymore.

I agree. I just couldn't find an image of the improved one on my phone. He looked similar to that in 600 Wonder Woman. Sad they had to loose the mustache though. He'd be great in game grabbing, throwing and hitting people with it.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 7, 2013

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Fibby Boy posted:

Well yeah explaining games is easy. Problem is getting said person to grasp the mechanics. I know full well how the mechanics in this game works. Doesn't mean I can get the basics down.

I'm lucky to properly cancel in this game. Most of my combos are just chained supermoves, IE Scorpion's Teleport. Do I try to sit down and learn these combos, yes. Can I do them, no. But it's the fun I get out of loving them up, and something else miraculous coming to be. I still have yet to hit the Scorpion combo I want to do, but in the process found out a bunch of funny things about him. Same is true with Ares. I found that 112d4 does work and looks cool, all on accident.

But you should be glad it's just the combos you have trouble with. I have the biggest trouble with blocking in this game. Blocking and Throw-canceling.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I agree. I just couldn't find an image of the improved one on my phone. He looked similar to that in 600 Wonder Woman. Sad they had to loose the mustache though. He'd be great in game grabbing, throwing and hitting people with it.

I have this great image of a giant egg slapping Batman across the face with a racially-offensive mustache. NRS, I hope your listening. I would pay $20 for this.

SuddenBlackout
Apr 3, 2004

I sho' is hungry
Just played a 50 match set with a Batgirl player as Cyborg and holy gently caress is that matchup hard. Learned alot of new tricks along the way but having to guess on her 50/50 made me hate life for awhile.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Awesome Andy posted:

I've hit a wall with this game, I just can't do complicated combos at all, anything over three moves is impossible so I just do my best to spam and put myself in favorable positions.

It might be as simple as tweaking your options. Do you have release check on, or off? For some characters it totally boners up your inputs and makes some moves entirely impossible to do, so it's best to switch it off for the most part.

You should also practice dialing in your stuff. This game is very unforgiving with buttons mashes so pressing 1122 bf2, for instance, is going to screw you over if you want 112 bf2 even if you pressed the 22 before the animation was at that point, if you get what I'm saying. Practice counting your button presses as you do them, you'll probably find you tap a few too many times here and there.

Are you using the Dpad, or the thumbstick? Ps3 or xbox? This is important!

As well, some characters have much more forgiving windows on their combos. I can pull off most of catwoman's poo poo, but none of a lot of other characters, and I think it's because she has very open windows on her stuff.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spaceman Bill posted:

Don't worry guys he got better :)

This would have been x100 better than Scorpion.

Awesome Andy posted:

I've hit a wall with this game, I just can't do complicated combos at all, anything over three moves is impossible so I just do my best to spam and put myself in favorable positions.
I win sometimes and I feel like I have a good grasp of the game but it kinds sucks not being able to do cool looking combos.

Hang in there fellow Andy goon. Hit me up for 1v1's anytime you want and I'll help you practice cool looking combos on my secondary Frost and thirdsy Superman or forthsy Nightwing or even my fifthsy Black Adam.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 7, 2013

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
I just picked up this game on sale and am going to play against some far more skilled players who are familiar with the game tonight. Who is the cheapest, easiest to use character with the most abusable strategies :unsmigghh:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Electric Crayon posted:

I just picked up this game on sale and am going to play against some far more skilled players who are familiar with the game tonight. Who is the cheapest, easiest to use character with the most abusable strategies :unsmigghh:

Lobo.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Batman and superman are the best and neither are overly hard to learn the basics of once you have combos. Green lantern is imo the most balanced character and top 5 and his combos are easy. The game is full of good characters.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Electric Crayon posted:

Aquaman, Doomsday, and Deathstroke have the best ratios of cheap to ease of use.

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK

Electric Crayon posted:

Grundy and this video guide http://youtu.be/V017lWGE1Vg will give you an easy to execute but effective strategy. (IE throw um down then do something on their wakeup)

Also has easy high damage combos.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
Thanks! I think I'll try Deathstroke first and then transition to Grundy.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

gannyGrabber posted:

It might be as simple as tweaking your options. Do you have release check on, or off? For some characters it totally boners up your inputs and makes some moves entirely impossible to do, so it's best to switch it off for the most part.

You should also practice dialing in your stuff. This game is very unforgiving with buttons mashes so pressing 1122 bf2, for instance, is going to screw you over if you want 112 bf2 even if you pressed the 22 before the animation was at that point, if you get what I'm saying. Practice counting your button presses as you do them, you'll probably find you tap a few too many times here and there.

Are you using the Dpad, or the thumbstick? Ps3 or xbox? This is important!

As well, some characters have much more forgiving windows on their combos. I can pull off most of catwoman's poo poo, but none of a lot of other characters, and I think it's because she has very open windows on her stuff.

I play on 360 (puupetpalhoneyb) and I use a madcatz pad, I'll have to see about release check because it's the first I heard about it. I can get the 112bf2 stuff easily enough but it's afterwards when you have to juggle them in the air or catch them on a bounce where it falls apart.
Just have to get in more practice and see if anything clicks.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
So any idea when the announcement will be today? Or was it the announcement yesterday of more characters to come?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I thought the announcement was that there was going to be a Zod announcement on TV.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug

Awesome Andy posted:

I can get the 112bf2 stuff easily enough but it's afterwards when you have to juggle them in the air or catch them on a bounce where it falls apart.
Just have to get in more practice and see if anything clicks.

I'm at this same point as well, I can sometimes do more fanciful stuff in training but in a match, even single player, I'll probably end up mashing buttons and losing it.

I'm not sure if my usage of Bane is helping either because I can kinda get by with just a short combo into dbf3 command grab, which does decent enough damage but I'm sure it's also preventing me from using many other characters effectively because ad far as I can see, other characters BnB combos are a bit harder.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Foodahn posted:

I'm at this same point as well, I can sometimes do more fanciful stuff in training but in a match, even single player, I'll probably end up mashing buttons and losing it.

I'm not sure if my usage of Bane is helping either because I can kinda get by with just a short combo into dbf3 command grab, which does decent enough damage but I'm sure it's also preventing me from using many other characters effectively because ad far as I can see, other characters BnB combos are a bit harder.

I'd reccomend trying out Green Lantern if you're looking for a character with some easy BnB's. You can combo almost anything both into and off of the db1 mb grab.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
What are the chillest Green Lantern combos? I know ShadowNinja has some.

Post or post a link?

(Also JM, what are your Bane combos?)

Thanks!

(Anyone is welcome to post Sinestro combos as well, if you feel like it that is.)

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
From the OP

Unbound posted:

I heard goons are good at this game. Mind sharing some knowledge?
EvilCanadian did a wonderful Superman Video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH3xCXqa124
Shadow Ninja 64 made an amazing write-up for Bane
Shadow Ninja 64 Also did a fantastic Green Lantern Combo Compendium.
If you would like me to add your guide, let me know

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Something I didn't mention in that writeup at the time is that you can choose to end a lot of the longer Green Lantern combos in a whiffed bf3 Turbine instead of the db1 Lift, then pressure their wakeup either with b1, a jump in 2 or 3, or nothing. Before they fixed wakeup attacks for humans in this game, they basically had to just block the b1, but even with that fixed it can still be powerful to leave yourself that pressure chance.

As for Sinestro combos, here's a good resource: http://testyourmight.com/threads/sinestro-combo-section.30138/

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Unbound posted:

So far I've managed to hit someone 4 times with Scorpions Teleport Punch in a single combo. I want to try to go for 5, but I don't know if that's possible. Either way, comboing Teleport Punches off of each other looks cool as hell. It's just like a pillar of fire that the recipient bounces around in.

Will you post these combos? I'm LOVING Scorpion. Thanks!

Edit:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Something I didn't mention in that writeup at the time is that you can choose to end a lot of the longer Green Lantern combos in a whiffed bf3 Turbine instead of the db1 Lift, then pressure their wakeup either with b1, a jump in 2 or 3, or nothing. Before they fixed wakeup attacks for humans in this game, they basically had to just block the b1, but even with that fixed it can still be powerful to leave yourself that pressure chance.

As for Sinestro combos, here's a good resource: http://testyourmight.com/threads/sinestro-combo-section.30138/

Awesome, thank you!

JesusLovesRonwell fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 7, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

(Also JM, what are your Bane combos?)

I'll step in for jm, as I main Bane and am low-end mediocre with him. I'm sure he'll correct me. Or Shadow Ninja 64, that guy is great.

Bane is not a combo character per say, he generally gets about 30% off his combos and spending meter on them isn't usually worth it (some exceptions below). Bane's specialty is knocking characters down and then using his Venom armor to beat them to a pulp as they get up (sometimes called "wakeup" or "oki" games).

Bane's basic combo is b23 123xxdbf3 which hits for around 34%. You can replace the dbf3 (which is the Body Press command throw) with db1 (Ring Toss), bf2 (Double Punch), or db2 (Venom Upper) to get slightly less damage but better positioning in some cases. Oh, also the Default Body press takes a while to execute and burns Venom, so it's generally a better idea to finish with Venom Upper, which has the best positioning after the end of the combo string and a small damage reduction. If your Venom is going to run out anyway, do the Body Press though and burn some recovery time.

When Bane knocks an opponent down he starts his wakeup game. There are 3 attacks that Bane can choose from and, provided he is under the influence of Venom, give an opponent without a teleport a very low chance of escaping:

1) Double Punch (bf2) beats most Wakeup attacks, block low, and jumping out. Weak to blocking high and some backdashes. Is also a pretty puny attack, honestly - but it has decent carry and once Bane gets you in the corner, WATCH OUT
2) Body Press (dbf3) beats a good amount of wakeup attacks and any sort of blocking at all. Weak to jumping out and throw-immune wakeups, also some backdashes.
3) Master of Disguise starter (b23), if timed correctly, beats all kinds of weird poo poo and blocking high. Also gets you a full combo. Weak to blocking low and a pretty decent smattering of wakeups. Actually really good at catching backdashes.

I know I said there were 3 attacks, but there's a fourth:

4) Against teleporting opponents, Bane can use his b112 combo to interrupt their teleport provided he deliberately misses with the first b1

Edit: There's more too, but those are the major ones you're going to use most of the time.

So basically, once an opponent gets knocked down, you make sure they don't get back up again by using these various attacks.

Bane has bad matchups with (IMO)

Characters with teleports, even with the b112 tech they can just start doing other wakeup attacks instead and now Bane's usual 33/66 has been reduced to a 50/50.
Characters with good backdashes (Black Adam!!!!) they get up and back dash and the pressure momentum is gone
Characters who are zoners (if Bane doesn't get in and connect, he's dead)
Batman (seriously, he has an answer to every single wakeup and move in Bane's arsenal and total space control. Bane is a pinata to this guy)

Hope this helps, remember I'm not very good but neither are most of the people online.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 7, 2013

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
You can throw people out of pre-jump frames, so if done meaty Body Press can't be jumped out of. Of course meter-burned b3/f3 will beat all of those options, but if they're done meaty it requires a one-frame timing to work.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
just to add a couple good oki options:

-b21 goes low then overhead. In the corner gives you plenty of time to oki again after.
-b113 goes low then low (in case they expect b21) and you can hit confirm into a body press
-f2d is IMO a better overhead option than double punch. More damage and you can cancel it into a body press midscreen or EX upper if you're in the corner. It also catches backdashes really well.
-meaty d2 xx body press is a really powerful tick. If they block the d2 they get thrown, if they jump they get hit by the d2 and the throw whiffs but you still have enough time to meaty them.

In the corner I always end my combos with meter burned venom upper. Very much damage and gives you a TON of time to set up a meaty, so you can get an unjumpable command throw after.

My general trait strat is:
-stay in lv1 trait most of the time. Has very little recovery and the armor on specials is the only way to make Bane good at neutral.
-Off solid hits (b23, 113 xx whatever), go up to level 2 trait and end in something that gives you oki (command throw or ex upper in the corner).
-If they get hit by that ^^ mixup, go ahead and go up to level 3 and get that damage. If they block the mixup, no sweat, level 2 trait recovery isn't that bad.

By stacking your trait this way, you can usually kill before you have to deal with lv3 trait recovery. I was thinking about doing a video about this, would anyone be interested?

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

<3<3<3

Jmcrofts posted:

I was thinking about doing a video about this, would anyone be interested?

Hell to the yes.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Someone make or link me a good Flash video/tutorial.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Mattavist posted:

Ta-da.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUibdwqxlRQ

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

Will you post these combos? I'm LOVING Scorpion. Thanks!

Yeah, he's a real blast to play.

That combo is for when they are jumping within range of your j3. Best way to make this happen is with some Hellfires to bait the jump. The j3 db3 d2 j2 db3 db3mb j1 db3. It does something like 23% but it looks super cool.

Off that db3mb you could time out a 11xxbf1mb j3 db3 to look even cooler. I can't remember the damage though.

I also like to dfmb cancel the b1 combo string into j3 db3 d2 j2 db3. That last teleport will knock them to about 3/4th screen. This just happens to be a great place to throw a tossup between Hellfire and Bloody Spear.

You can also throw a teleport, though this is the least safe route, and catch them either in the air or mid wakeup. If you get them in the air, just go ahead and d2 j3 db3mb j2 db3 and start with the above toss up.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Mattavist posted:

I've actually been playing with the Flash quite a bit lately, so I can give a brief overview of some things to know. Just know that he's still somewhat lacking compared to the best characters in the game and that some matchups are an extreme uphill battle.

First off, the three main combo starters you're going to be using are b22 (long range poking or whiff punishing, best damage starter), d1d2 (fast low starter but short short short range), and f21 (solid range overhead). He has other strings that can be used to start combos, but these are the big three to know.

When you land these midscreen, you have two options to follow up with, depending on if you want to use your Trait or not. If you don't have Trait or don't want to use it, then you're going to be canceling into df1~MB. After the df1~MB, you have some options:

Damage: combo starter XX df1~MB, 21, b22f3 XX bf2
Okizeme pressure: combo starter XX df1~MB, 11, f213, then either Mid or Far Sonic Pound on their wakeup (mid stays in front, far crosses up)

That second option got weakened a bit by NRS fixing the way wakeup attacks work for human opponents. You used to not be able to do wakeup attacks at the very beginning of the wakeup window, meaning the opponent was forced to block the Sonic Pound, but now they can try to wakeup attack out of it. Even so, this is still a setup into a hard knockdown off the f213, the reward for successfully hitting with Sonic Pound~MB~Trait is huge, and if they get wakeup attack happy you can adjust your gameplan to be more patient and punish them for that.

If you want to use your Trait midscreen for big damage, you're going to want to do:

Best damage variant: combo starter XX df3~MB~Trait, dash df1, df1, df1, df1, b2 XX df1, b22f3 XX bf2
Easier variant: combo starter XX df3~MB~Trait, dash df1, df1, df1, b22 XX df1, b22f3 XX bf2

These look intimidating but they just take practice. One thing to note, though, is that on small and medium sized characters, the Sonic Pound crosses up after the f21 starter. Your options here are A) to just know that and remember to dash the other way out of Trait or B) to use Close Sonic Pound.

When you corner the opponent, the advice I've seen from the dedicated Flash players on TYM and that I've come to agree with is that you should save your Trait and do regular combos instead. In the corner, you can do this:

combo starter XX df1~MB, 11, 11, 11, 11, 112 XX df1
Note: If you have trouble landing this, cut one of the reps of 11 out.

The df1 Lightning Kick causes an untechable knockdown, allowing you to once again pressure their wakeup with a 50/50 left/right situation using either Close or Mid Sonic Pound. If you land a Sonic Pound~MB in this situation, you get to do 11, 11, 11, 112 XX df1 and repeat. Again, this was more dangerous before NRS fixed wakeups, but it's still a powerful mixup tool that will make your opponent have to choose between a potentially risky wakeup attack or trying to guess which way to block.

Anyway, as you can probably guess, the main gameplan is to get in, harass with d1d2 vs. f21 low/overhead mixup, use the range of b22 to poke and whiff punish, push them toward the corner, and hopefully keep them there. The less room your opponent has to maneuver and run away from The Flash, the better it is for you.

Edit: One small execution tip: For d1d2 XX df1~MB or d1d2 XX df3~MB, do the d1d2 with your stick/thumb on your dpad in the down-back position, then roll through down to forward.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 7, 2013

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Ultimate scorpion combo: b3 j3 d2 j3 jthrow. So easy, so awesome.

I just fought through the Sidekick battle with him, and basically just cheesed through with that combo, and classic j3 d3 cross up spam. Computers are dumb.

Had to fight Bane 3 times though! Out of 8 battles! Frigging Bane man...

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Me and Errent Element are in a KOTH in Slaughter Swamp (XBL)

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

What can I do if it didn't download Scorpion? The character isn't showing up in the DLC list to download and I tried looking in my recent downloads but there's nothing there.

Also, I didn't get my Arrow skin. :saddowns:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

What can I do if it didn't download Scorpion? The character isn't showing up in the DLC list to download and I tried looking in my recent downloads but there's nothing there.

If you're talking about the email thing, they said it wouldn't be coming for like 4 weeks.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If you have the Season Pass, did you check the character select screen to see if he's there? I have the pass, and I think it just downloaded alongside the patch. I didn't actively go and download Scorpion from the DLC list or anything, he just showed up in the Character Select screen after the patch downloaded/installed.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Blast Fantasto posted:

If you're talking about the email thing, they said it wouldn't be coming for like 4 weeks.

Ah, I didn't know that and assumed that it would just get linked to your account.

I guess they want to make sure people at least get a couple of newsletters before they cancel the subscription. :v:

Edit:

Nahxela posted:

If you have the Season Pass, did you check the character select screen to see if he's there? I have the pass, and I think it just downloaded alongside the patch. I didn't actively go and download Scorpion from the DLC list or anything, he just showed up in the Character Select screen after the patch downloaded/installed.

I have the Season Pass. The patch for me was 6 megs and he isn't showing up at all. I wonder if it's because I didn't try to update until today and some flag got set somewhere that screwed me.

For Batgirl and Lobo I downloaded both of them from the DLC list, even though I have the Season Pass, so I assumed Scorpion would be the same.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Do you have the Season Pass? He's not out yet for everyone else.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Koth too crowded, anyone on xbox want to 1v1?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Koth too crowded, anyone on xbox want to 1v1?

I'm pretty sure that was you who whooped my rear end 10 times earlier tonight. I cherished those two victories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm pretty sure that was you who whooped my rear end 10 times earlier tonight. I cherished those two victories.

Nope wasn't me but I'd be glad to if you're still on!

• Locked thread