Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I wonder what it is with fishing in MMOs and me being addicted to it.
I can't remember fishing being in the last time I played Rift (beta / headstart times), but more or less the only thing I've been doing the past 15 hours of playing Rift, is fishing. drat this addiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

Farts posted:

How is the housing system in this game compared to Everquest 2? Or anything else really that you could compare it to.

I can get my wife back on board if it's pretty robust. I've tried checking out youtube/other sources but can't find anything that's a huge in-depth source for the drat thing. I was able to get the free starter one but didn't find anything in my bags to place (only found the drat thing a few days later).

Also been playing my level 50 cleric that I haven't played since a few months after launch....severely behind, wondering what the gently caress I am doing...most likely going to start fresh on the 12th or soon after just so I can re-learn everything.

The dimension/housing system is pretty cool, the default UI for the editing is a little annoying to use. Some person made an addon http://www.riftui.com/downloads/fileinfo.php?id=310 that makes it easier to to precision stuff. Check out our guild dimension also, I think it's really well done.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Bussamove posted:

It's because a lot of people see being an Archon or Bard as a sign that your DPS isn't good enough to actually be put into a DPS role, so they get it into their head that support roles are some kind of punishment. I agree that a good archon can make or break the fight, though. I might have to learn it because from the one time I did it last night I really enjoyed it, and that way I could be a special snowflake. :v:

Archon is amazing. It's easily my favorite spec to raid with. On the DPS note: bad archons only go 61 archon, but 51 archon/25 pyro is where it's really at; 50k Cinder Burst instant-cast crits whatup.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Come get your poop bags

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gray Area
Nov 17, 2007
Requesting an invitation for my alt, Digglesworth

Genius!
Jan 8, 2006
I'd like an invite please, character name is Defeater.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
I'd like an invite as well. Nihsa.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Got enough downloaded to play, Barmias is my character name. Already part of the guild now, but for reference.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Looking to get an invite on Carteret.

Edit: code gone.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 8, 2013

cinn
May 13, 2011
recently came back to Rift after quitting in the middle of Hammerknell. Having fun with my warrior but trying to get him back on track.

Had some questions, maybe some kind goonfolk can help me out.

Should I be using 1handers or 2handers? My old raid setup was 2handers but atm its a mystery to me!

Also is Dex still valued above Str for warriors or...

Basically what stats/weapons should I be going for.

I'm using a 42 warlord / 15 champion / 0 paragon spec atm for leveling. Could use input on builds and specs also.

help me I am lost in a sea of numbers and riftythings :(

edit: forgot to mention obv DPS not tanking but some random tank knowledge for warriors would be welcome! Someone please drop a warrior knowledge bomb on me

Vendictus Prime
Feb 28, 2013

Now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

deimos posted:

Who is this example? Where are you getting the 30 people number from?

e: Wait, are you our first j4g?

I play Guild Wars 2 with a very large guild that also played Rift from beta and the guild founder knows several of the devs personally at Trion that have now left. Seems that a good number that left were not very happy with the Venture Capitalists trying to make the decisions on what would be done to the game and he confirmed that there are approximately 30 people currently working on Rift.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

30 people isn't that bad of a team. I'll take that over the rudderless ship that is Anet.

E: invites caught up to here.

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jun 8, 2013

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

cinn posted:

recently came back to Rift after quitting in the middle of Hammerknell. Having fun with my warrior but trying to get him back on track.

Had some questions, maybe some kind goonfolk can help me out.

Should I be using 1handers or 2handers? My old raid setup was 2handers but atm its a mystery to me!

Also is Dex still valued above Str for warriors or...

Basically what stats/weapons should I be going for.

I'm using a 42 warlord / 15 champion / 0 paragon spec atm for leveling. Could use input on builds and specs also.

help me I am lost in a sea of numbers and riftythings :(

edit: forgot to mention obv DPS not tanking but some random tank knowledge for warriors would be welcome! Someone please drop a warrior knowledge bomb on me

Trion changed it so theoretically two 1hers and a 2her of the same tier should give you exactly the same results DPS wise, and all Warrior abilities in all DPS specs can be used with 1hers or 2hers. Currently you get a bit of a stat lead by using two 1hers but it isn't a huge deal either way. Two 1hers looks cooler anyways.

STR is valued way above DEX now. Aside from randomly generated items all Warrior gear will be STR heavy, and don't take leather over Rogues. As for the secondary stats, in most cases Crit Power > Attack Power > Crit Rating.

The Warlord/Champ spec you are using is great for leveling. I liked going 0 Tempest for Shock Pulse so I can tag things at range. For DPS specs 61 (or however many you can put) Riftblade/15 Tempest/0 Paragon is very good. Here is a good write-up on the Rift forums about the spec and macros/rotation. The spec also does great in PvP (switch out 0 Paragon for 0 Warlord for the yank). Paragon is looking to get some buffs next week so that may be the next hotness.

Tempest is also a decent DPS spec which has the advantage of being ranged instead of melee. I don't use it too often and and I'm still using an outdated rotation, so here is the write-up on it done by the same dude who made the Riftblade guide.

Tanking kind of blows while leveling up unless you spend a bunch of Empyrean Sourcestones on tanking gear from the vendors in Tempest Bay. If you do manage to cobble together some gear it's best to use a heavy Paladin (Max Pally, rest into VK) or Reaver (Max Reaver, rest into Pally) spec. Paladin doesn't have as much AoE but has nice cooldowns. Reaver throws DOTs everywhere and poops out AoEs. Void Knight is my favorite tanking spec but it's kind of rough without having all 61 points and not much gear. It can AoE teleport groups of enemies on top of you and you do really good AoE damage in general, and you can purge and cleanse! Then again it looks likes things are getting buffed in the next patch so who knows!

vandiar fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jun 8, 2013

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
the warrior tanking souls are getting changed next patch so that the mitigation is better spread out between the 3 trees. if anyone is spergy enough to want to know, here is the spreadsheet with the new top mitigation builds for 2.3 and here are the patch notes.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Do I have to download a new client to play with you guys in the US, or can I just change from Europe to US on the client I've already got?

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Datasmurf posted:

Do I have to download a new client to play with you guys in the US, or can I just change from Europe to US on the client I've already got?

Change it in the launcher settings! Yay, the more EU goons, the classier.

Anyone else having problems with the connection today? I get kicked a lot, and for some reason the second time I try to enter the game from the character select screen, it ALWAYS freezes.

Slabs
Oct 14, 2003

Fuck, Fuck, Fuck!
Any absolute must-have addons? They weren't even in the game last time I played.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Slabs posted:

Any absolute must-have addons? They weren't even in the game last time I played.

If you're going to raid, "king boss mods" is a must have.

For healing/click-castable raid frames, I like "click box healer".

For finding missed carnage quests in a zone "carnage book"

"gadgets" you might find multiple uses for, I use it for putting two boxes on my screen that show me active short-term buffs/debuffs; one box for self buffs, and another that shows me target buffs (i.e. for tracking warden heals on a player) or debuffs that I've cast if it's a mob I have targeted.

I'm sure there are lots of other good ones, those are just the 4 that I find myself always using/needing.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Anyone else having problems with the connection today? I get kicked a lot, and for some reason the second time I try to enter the game from the character select screen, it ALWAYS freezes.

Welp, it's completely unplayable now. I get dc'd every 10 minutes tops, and when I try to log back in, it freezes. There are some people having the same issue in the forums, but no solutions.

Guess I won't be playing on my only day off, yay. And I was enjoying my tactician so much...

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

Last summer I leveled a mage to 50 before my PC died. Rift looks awesome and runs perfectly on the new rig I have. Miraculously I'm still in the guild and it's pretty cool to see more people on now than I remember being around a year ago. I also remember wishing there were a melee mage soul so it was nice to log in and find that I can do that now! My ign is Wittgenstein.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Welp, it's completely unplayable now. I get dc'd every 10 minutes tops, and when I try to log back in, it freezes. There are some people having the same issue in the forums, but no solutions.

Guess I won't be playing on my only day off, yay. And I was enjoying my tactician so much...

This happens for some people(including me :( ) every day at around the time you made this post, it goes away after a bit, you should be able to play now.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011
Dunno if this was already posted, but Trion confirmed yesterday that all credits spent on the PTS shop before 2.3 launch will get reimbursed 200%. Previously it was 150%-200% with no one clear on how to get 200%, but now we know its across the board. Go give Trion money and have all the credits forever and ever.

Slabs
Oct 14, 2003

Fuck, Fuck, Fuck!
Buggerlugs the mage will be wanting a guild invite when the servers stop acting up.

mr. nazi posted:

If you're going to raid, "king boss mods" is a must have.

For healing/click-castable raid frames, I like "click box healer".

For finding missed carnage quests in a zone "carnage book"

"gadgets" you might find multiple uses for, I use it for putting two boxes on my screen that show me active short-term buffs/debuffs; one box for self buffs, and another that shows me target buffs (i.e. for tracking warden heals on a player) or debuffs that I've cast if it's a mob I have targeted.

I'm sure there are lots of other good ones, those are just the 4 that I find myself always using/needing.

Gadgets is very nicely done. Will grab the others as I need 'em.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
after the server fuckery a few hours ago it seems raid locks have been reset. i don't know if trion will do a rollback but hey, if they don't, cool, free stones :toot:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Carteret posted:

Looking to get an invite on Carteret.

I also have a Raptr code for the game/expansion/30 day thingie. PM me!

I don't have PMs but I would like to start playing Rift and would appreciate this. My email is onbrokenwings at gmail dot com

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Slabs posted:

Buggerlugs the mage will be wanting a guild invite when the servers stop acting up.

Gadgets is very nicely done. Will grab the others as I need 'em.

If you're going to use the auction house at all, also grab BananAH. I wrote up a guide on how to use it to make money, click my little ? over there <<<<<

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Tomahawk posted:

I don't have PMs but I would like to start playing Rift and would appreciate this. My email is onbrokenwings at gmail dot com

sorry pal, another goon got it.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Add Ons Info
There are lots of different add ons, but I will list the essential ones and those I like. Grabbed from http://www.curse.com/addons/rift

Kings Boss Mods is the best for Raiding/Dungeons and giving warnings for boss mechanics.

Rift Meter or Simple Meter are the most popular DPS/HPS tracking add ons. I use rift meter, but both do the job just fine.

Imhothar's Bags is a nice add on for bag management. I don't even use it for the combined bag window, but I love that hovering over items will tell me how many I have of them on all of my alts.

Gadgets Is basically a ton of different visual mods packed into one. FPS and distance trackers, alternate raid frames, currency bar, etc. Very nice to have.

Karuul Alert Is an add on that tracks buffs/debuffs. Used primarily by raiders when they have specs that rely on constantly have debuffs up. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are running a DPS spec that needs it.

And a ton more. There is one for using the AH, one for tracking carnage quests, pretty much anything you can think of. F2P hitting will probably bring with it another wave of new add on's as well.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Hoom and Pandetta will be running all the hunt rifts for the cheev+exp in a couple hours (6:30pm est or so), feel free to join them!

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Eltoasto posted:

Hoom and Pandetta will be running all the hunt rifts for the cheev+exp in a couple hours (6:30pm est or so), feel free to join them!

I don't know when I'll be doing this exactly, it'll be tonight in ROUGHLY a couple hours from now. I'd do it now but I have a ton of cleaning to do. (I'm hoom)

It's free to join, we have all the lures I think now, except maybe mork? If you want to ever buy ghunt lures you have to have all of these cleared so come join us. I'll post a 30 minute warning in this thread, the only requirement is that you have a mount and preferably be able to run around cape jule or pelladine without pulling aggro from miles away.

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

deadtear posted:

I don't know when I'll be doing this exactly, it'll be tonight in ROUGHLY a couple hours from now. I'd do it now but I have a ton of cleaning to do. (I'm hoom)

I will be bringing the following lures: Immori, Garnock, Shoran, Bratun, Roklom, Kurest, Manzav.

I could use: Jupilos, Rezurin, Runida, Mork and Krimeo

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Bonapartisan posted:

I will be bringing the following lures: Immori, Garnock, Shoran, Bratun, Roklom, Kurest, Manzav.

I could use: Jupilos, Rezurin, Runida, Mork and Krimeo

If you're not Liseux, between me and Pandetta and Liseux I want to say we have all lures. I capped out on planarite from ghunt leeching so I went down the right hand side of the regular lures and bought them all after Pandetta told me I needed the achievement before I could buy ghunt lures.

edit: this is only for minors, no major hunts. I don't think they're necessary for anything.

FruitNYogurtParfait fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 8, 2013

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Eltoasto posted:

Belos will probably be helping out with this.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Tomahawk posted:

I don't have PMs but I would like to start playing Rift and would appreciate this. My email is [removed]

Carteret posted:

sorry pal, another goon got it.

Tomahawk I got you covered, watch for an email titled GOON SURPRISE (not goatse)

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 8, 2013

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

deadtear posted:

If you're not Liseux, between me and Pandetta and Liseux I want to say we have all lures. I capped out on planarite from ghunt leeching so I went down the right hand side of the regular lures and bought them all after Pandetta told me I needed the achievement before I could buy ghunt lures.

edit: this is only for minors, no major hunts. I don't think they're necessary for anything.

It is me, yes. The ones I don't have are the ones I listed, but I don't know which you and Pandetta have. I was not paying attention if you said so in guildchat because I am a horrible person.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

necrotic posted:

Archon is amazing. It's easily my favorite spec to raid with. On the DPS note: bad archons only go 61 archon, but 51 archon/25 pyro is where it's really at; 50k Cinder Burst instant-cast crits whatup.

Yeah, I was running 58 Archon/18 Dom so I had Bulwark to ease myself into debuff management a little easier, but now that I've played around with it a little I think I'll switch to 51/25 for some more personal DPS. A couple more debuffs to toss up and a Pillaging Stone stack to manage seems easy enough to keep track of, especially since Lingering Dust doesn't need to be kept up religiously.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

mr. nazi posted:

Tomahawk I got you covered, watch for an email titled GOON SURPRISE (not goatse)

The parenthetical text will totally be lying, but there might also be a pleasant surprise.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Bonapartisan posted:

It is me, yes. The ones I don't have are the ones I listed, but I don't know which you and Pandetta have. I was not paying attention if you said so in guildchat because I am a horrible person.

I have 10, all the ones on the right side of the vendor plus Immori. Pandetta bought all the left side ones except for those needing decorated torvan. We did not think this one through very well because I had decorated :downs:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Looking at a map of level ranges for zones, it seems I should be heading to Moonshade Highlands. The problem is I have no portals anywhere near that zone. Is there a faster way to get there, say from Meridian, or am I stuck hiking the entire way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
There's a dude in Meridian who can teleport you to Moonshade, inside the walls, near the training dummy. He should have a quest marker

• Locked thread