Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

drat, I use a Performance MX at work and have always wanted it to have more ring/pinky finger support. I just might have to look into the Func MS-3, although wireless would have been a nice plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Just broke my trusty RAT9 and came in here to look at alternatives to a G500/G700, saw the Func MS-3, and pretty much decided I'll try that out. At least something is working to alleviate the rage of my phone and mouse crapping out simultaneously. I had no major issues with the RAT, and really loved it, but I wouldn't buy another. A coffee spill finally killed it, and really the only reason I'm mad about it is because I don't have the money to replace it and it means a few days without games. Luckily, birthday is coming up and parents are gonna help me out with that and the broken phone.

I could use a new mousemat too. I've had a Razer Destructor for years and its getting a bit beat up and its a little deformed in some places. I need a good amount of room since I'm a low-sensitivity gamer, what are my options?

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 3, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone have an alternative to the RAT that has a pinky area that goes outward instead of inward? That's been my major thing with liking my RAT 7 I think, but I'm getting irritated with non-shape things about it. I love the form of it but it's having problems with its laser or something.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I ordered the Func MS-3 as a replacement to my RAT9. The finger support was one of the big selling points to me. I got so used to having my fingers off the mat (with the exception of the tip of my ring finger, which would sit on the very front edge of the shelf) that I really wanted the space for my fingers and thumb. Having the precision aim button is nice too, though I may just be using that for push-to-talk in voice chat. I play with low enough sensitivity that I didn't use it all that often on my RAT, so I'll see how much I do before I decide. Gonna be weird transitioning to only having 3 profiles... I'll have to change some button settings in shooters so I can use one profile for multiple games, unless I can do it like the RAT and switch between different sets of profiles. I'll miss the thumb wheel, honestly, it was probably my favourite thing about the RAT.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Another bit of information on the Func MS-3 that I didn't see mentioned in the review or the website:
Profiles appear to be stored on the mouse, not the software. I re-installed Windows 7 due to a hdd failure, and my custom button macro (alt+f4 on the bottom thumb click) seem to have stayed on the mouse, and I haven't even installed the Func software.

EDIT: After a few days' use, this thing is still ridiculously comfortable.

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 4, 2013

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Mine will be here Thursday :neckbeard:
The profiles being stored on the mouse is a pretty common thing these days, and really convenient for the reasons you just said. Also for using multiple computers, ie switching between a desktop and laptop. I know it said that it has 512mb of storage on Newegg.
Can you have multiple "sets" of profiles that you can swap through with the program? The RAT allows you to have different groups of three saved onto the computer, and you swap through the three different settings with a button next to the left click (much like the Func, but on the opposite side). I ask because on my RAT I had two different profiles with 3 different layouts on each
What sort of mousemat are you using? I picked up a cheap cloth Corsair one for now, to replace my very old and slightly warped and scratched Razer Destructor. I think I might pick up a matching Func pad eventually though

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Func MS-3 Questions

Yes, there are 3 different profile sets you can save and they are accessed by a specific button (by default) on the top RH of the right click button. You can see this in my photos. When you do click to toggle through the 3 profiles, the 3 LEDs on the mouse near your thumb light up white between 1-3 to show you which profile. These normally are lit up red to show the 3 DPI settings you have nominated in the software, which can be changed by the + and - buttons under the scroll wheel (by default).
I am using a Razer Vespula mouse mat, with one side "control" - slighty grainy and gripper and one side "speed" - slippery and quick. Seems pretty similar to the Func mouse pad, but I have never tried it, only read the review.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I know how switching it works, but I was wondering if you can have multiple sets of 3 profiles. The RAT also swaps between 3 profiles, but you can have multiple groups of them saved to your computer. I figure I could do it with saved backups of the profiles but I'd have to go into the software constantly and basically rewrite whats on the mouse. Ooor I could suck it up and spend an hour changing button settings across multiple games to make things match up to only need 2 profiles for games, instead of 4 like I do now.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Yeah, I know how switching it works, but I was wondering if you can have multiple sets of 3 profiles. The RAT also swaps between 3 profiles, but you can have multiple groups of them saved to your computer. I figure I could do it with saved backups of the profiles but I'd have to go into the software constantly and basically rewrite whats on the mouse. Ooor I could suck it up and spend an hour changing button settings across multiple games to make things match up to only need 2 profiles for games, instead of 4 like I do now.

Oh. That I'm not sure of.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Okay, thank anyway. I'll work something out when I get it!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Vidaeus posted:

Another bit of information on the Func MS-3 that I didn't see mentioned in the review or the website:
Profiles appear to be stored on the mouse, not the software. I re-installed Windows 7 due to a hdd failure, and my custom button macro (alt+f4 on the bottom thumb click) seem to have stayed on the mouse, and I haven't even installed the Func software.

EDIT: After a few days' use, this thing is still ridiculously comfortable.

Why oh why could they not have used an optical sensor? It would have been perfection in mouse form.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Horizontal Tree posted:

I know it said that it has 512mb of storage on Newegg.
Why on Earth would it need 512MB to store profiles? Can it be used as a tiny USB memory drive maybe?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Why oh why could they not have used an optical sensor? It would have been perfection in mouse form.
Cause lasers are cooler, duh

NihilCredo posted:

Why on Earth would it need 512MB to store profiles? Can it be used as a tiny USB memory drive maybe?
Apologies, 512KB, not MB. I don't know of any mice that you can actually access the onboard memory, but I would really love to see a mouse with a small amount of actual, accessible flash memory on it. Store backups of multiple mouse profiles, text files of info for games/servers, backup mumble certificates... It has uses for gaming but I suppose its something nobody has bothered to do.

I'm so impatient for this mouse, I tried gaming with this broken ancient optical Dell-branded Logitech and it just doesn't work. I play low sensitivity so whenever I lift and adjust it, it spazzes out. Can't track targets at all. I spin around and go to adjust and the mouse just twitches back to where I started. :(
I also have no right click. Two more daaaays

Horizontal Tree fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 4, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Looks like corsair has released some new mice. The Raptor M40 uses more or less the shell of the M60/M65 which I always liked but uses an Avago ADNS3090 4000 DPI optical sensor, which sounds very promising indeed. I just need to find out how long the cable is, many mouse cables aren't long enough the way my desk is set up.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

The Lord Bude posted:

Looks like corsair has released some new mice. The Raptor M40 uses more or less the shell of the M60/M65 which I always liked but uses an Avago ADNS3090 4000 DPI optical sensor, which sounds very promising indeed. I just need to find out how long the cable is, many mouse cables aren't long enough the way my desk is set up.

Corsair went mouse crazy, 6 new mice on top of the m65/m95 refreshes. The Raptor M4 might be the g9x replacement I have been waiting for.

Deargodalion
Jun 27, 2011

Something clever.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking at replacing my mouse, a friend of mine recommended the Zowie FK.
Not knowing a whole lot I started looking around and then opinions on them seem mixed. Anyone got any horror stories, or tales of success with Zowie mice? Namely the FK, but I was also looking at the AM

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Calidus posted:

Corsair went mouse crazy, 6 new mice on top of the m65/m95 refreshes. The Raptor M4 might be the g9x replacement I have been waiting for.

Some of those mice - the ones like the raptor M4 that have radically different styling - are from corsair buying up another gaming peripheral maker. The former company had a reputation for making cheap and nasty crap, so it would be best to wait a generation for corsair to make improvements. At the moment they are just rebranded existing products. (The M30 is corsair made however, despite the old aesthetics.)

I'm thinking ahead to what my next mouse will likely be. (Not that my deathadder 3.5G is dying or anything, but it has its annoying quirks, and I get itchy feet every now and then for something new) It's pretty hard to find a mouse with a good optical sensor, that supports an acceptable CPI, and has adequate cable length. 6.5 feet is only just going to cut it, I may even need to do some repositioning, 7 foot is perfect but the deathadder is the only mouse I know of with a cable that long.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 6, 2013

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Any reason you can't just use a USB extension cable? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304&p_id=5431&seq=1&format=2

Slid Zion
Jun 7, 2013
I'm one of those who really liked the old MS optical mouse, http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-D58-00026-Intellimouse-Optical-Mouse/dp/B00005TQ08/ref=pd_sim_e_4

Altho there are some of these left i`m looking for some newer models with FPS-gaming features but still not a pure gaming mouse. It would be nice to change DPI on the fly.

Any suggestions? SteelSeries looks similar but i'm skeptical with the "rubbery" feel of them.

tips
Feb 16, 2011

Deargodalion posted:

Not knowing a whole lot I started looking around and then opinions on them seem mixed. Anyone got any horror stories, or tales of success with Zowie mice? Namely the FK, but I was also looking at the AM
I should be getting on in today, I'll let you know how it goes.

I haven't heard any horror stories though, from what I can tell it's probably the best claw grip mouse you can buy right now.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Every palm-gripper needs to go buy a Func MS-3. Thats my glowing review. It really is a great mouse

Whooping Toff
Oct 21, 2010

*ahem*

I do beg your pardon.
Anyone know of any shops in England, specifically south London/Surrey that are likely to have any of the higher end mice available for viewing? PC World and Currys are hopeless for high end mice and i don't know of any independant stores to look at.

Currently have a Razer Abyssus but it dosen't have any extra buttons and its pretty light and plasticy, so i'm having a general look at mice.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Find a stash of the big fuckoff grey rat mice they had and you'll have my attention.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
This seems like a good place to ask so, does anyone know any decent mice below $20 that I can use for gaming/general stuff? I'm not really in a position to blow tons of money on a mouse, but I want something reasonably not poo poo because of all the clicking.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SC Bracer posted:

This seems like a good place to ask so, does anyone know any decent mice below $20 that I can use for gaming/general stuff? I'm not really in a position to blow tons of money on a mouse, but I want something reasonably not poo poo because of all the clicking.
At around $30 there is the Logitech G100S and Zowie Mico. The mico is great as long as you don't have really wide hands.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Those of you with the Func MS-3, how did you find the scroll wheel? I am not loving the scroll wheel on my RAT7, especially since I was used to the awesome freespin scroll wheel on the Logitech mice. I am thinking of going back to Logitech for my next mouse unless the Func has something similar, as it appears to be superior otherwise to the g500s I was thinking about getting.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
So I used to own a Logitech MX Revolution which had left click issues registering as double clicks so I dumped it, and now my G300 is doing the exact same thing a year and a half later. Is there any mice that won't do this to me?

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

Bonobos posted:

Those of you with the Func MS-3, how did you find the scroll wheel? I am not loving the scroll wheel on my RAT7, especially since I was used to the awesome freespin scroll wheel on the Logitech mice. I am thinking of going back to Logitech for my next mouse unless the Func has something similar, as it appears to be superior otherwise to the g500s I was thinking about getting.

MS-3 is definitely superior to the Logitechs in my opinion. The scroll wheel is nice and indexed for gaming, but probably a bit softer than the RATs. I can't stand the Logitech free-scroll and its why I didn't want to buy one. Logitechs are also the only mice that have that. Just get a Func and mess with the scroll speed settings (you can do this in the program) until you find something you like

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

fuseshock posted:

So I used to own a Logitech MX Revolution which had left click issues registering as double clicks so I dumped it, and now my G300 is doing the exact same thing a year and a half later. Is there any mice that won't do this to me?

Try slapping the bottom of it hard, or slamming it bottom-flat against a wall/desk once (not hard enough to damage, but enough to jar it), that normally fixes logitech mice.

I picked up a Kensington Trackball off a carboot a while back, new in box, for £3.50. I love it. I'd never used a trackball before but it's lovely. It's a little difficult to aim in games, but apart from that, I totally forget I'm using it.

The dude in England, carboots are a great place to look for computer peripherals. Most of the stuff there is junk, but there's the odd gem!

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Horizontal Tree posted:

MS-3 is definitely superior to the Logitechs in my opinion. The scroll wheel is nice and indexed for gaming, but probably a bit softer than the RATs. I can't stand the Logitech free-scroll and its why I didn't want to buy one. Logitechs are also the only mice that have that. Just get a Func and mess with the scroll speed settings (you can do this in the program) until you find something you like

Sounds exactly what I am looking for. I'll have to give it a shot, especially after all the glowing reviews I've read ont his thing.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Khorne posted:

At around $30 there is the Logitech G100S and Zowie Mico. The mico is great as long as you don't have really wide hands.

Thanks! So, my hands are pretty small so the Mico sounds okay to me. The Logitech one is completely out of my budget sadly, even though you're the third person to recommend it to me. I'll have to see if I can find anything that is actually below :20bux: but I'll keep this in mind.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

Deargodalion posted:

I bought a Zowie AM a few months ago, as a replacement for my Intellimouse that lasted me something like 10 years. I've got absolutely no complaints about it. It's basically an upgraded Intellimouse, but with the thumb buttons on one side.

TheLordOfKraa
Jun 1, 2013

In the market for a new mouse I currently use a Logitech g700 (and like it a lot), but its reaching the end of its life and I'm looking for something similar but not wireless. Anybody have a good suggestion for a mouse with a tilt wheel and a real wired connection?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

How do people feel about mionix?

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

How do people feel about mionix?

I got a naos 3200 for work (11 hours a day of constant use) and it cured the aching in my fingers immediately. I've been using one for 6+ months with not a single complaint.

That said I tried using it for gaming and was back to my smaller roccat in minutes, it's just too large and unwieldy for my fast precise gaming.

edit: VVV yeah didn't mean for that last part to sound like I fancy myself some progamer, just that its size really messed up my ability to accurately make fast motions.

Full Circle fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 10, 2013

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
drat, and to think I'm playing comp-level Tribes on a Func MS-3, which is a beast compared to that thing. :P
I think that people who prefer a higher sensitivity mouse may like to have a little bit of the finger drag to help control/slow the mouse slide during more precise pointing, but for a low-sensitivity player like myself, its nice to let the mouse do the work and have less resistance on the big movements.
This mouse is the goddamn best and I'm aiming a hell of a lot smoother than I ever did on my RAT. If you loved the size and the finger shelves of the RAT, you owe it to yourself to try something thats REALLY comfortable and feels like it was molded from your hand.
However, if you have sausage fingers, the Func might not work out for you. The grooves are rather narrow and harshly angled, so they may not be as great for someone with fat fingers.
I have no complaints about this thing so far, and after 5 days of using it I can't see myself wanting to use anything else for any length of time. I'm a big advocate of nice peripherals, everyone deserves a mechanical keyboard and a nice mouse and mousepad.

Will update if I come across any issues or have any minor complaints about this thing, but so far I doubt that'll happen

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The mionix 3200 is on my shortlist then.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
How's the SteelSeries Sensei Raw?

I'm looking to replace the G5 with either that or the G500s. Benefits of the G500s include the extra thumb button and same shape as the G5 but its $88AUD vs. $~35 for the Sensei.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Does everyone use a mousepad?

Since I got my very first optical mouse, I haven't used one at all. Now it looks like there are all different types and stuff. Do they make a difference? I haven't noticed any problems with my G5 just on the desk, except that the feet wore out after 5 or 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use SteelSeries 5L. It's some kind of combination of plastic and cloth, and every other mat ever I've tried (other Steelseries pads, Ultimat, Func etc.) all suck. My table is not completely smooth and even so I need a mousepad.