Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I decided to play FFT again with the new graphics and revamped engine. First off I forgot how terrible I am at this game. Sure once you got a monk with 2 swords and 99 bravery the game is cake, but I'm not at that point yet. Second I decided to give delta a chance durning chapter 1, I made him a knight with a mantle, move+1, and items (potion and Phoenix down). While he was still as dumb as brick, he was actually helpful. He would :black101: into battle the first turn, take 3-4 hits like a champ and run away for the rest the battle, sometimes revive people who were down. Just make sure not to give him any active knight abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ketheriel
May 28, 2007
That beforeiplay.com site just reminds me how much I want Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura on my ipad.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

The Rooster posted:

Also, although everyone's been calling this KR2, there is an actual KR2 in the works, and this is just an expansion. I would love at some point, the opportunity to try Frontier towers in the original game and vice-versa, just for shits.

Frontiers is KR2.
Originally it was going to be an expansion but we kept putting so much new stuff into it that it turned into a new game.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

runchild posted:

Kingdom Rush Frontiers chat - Sandwarriors are awesome (almost anything that gives you extra blocking units is awesome) but they actually make it really hard to level Alric. At least, I'm pretty sure Alric isn't getting any experience from them, and he sends them way down the path so nothing gets to him. If you move him up he just sends them farther forward. I think I'm gonna have to not equip that skill if I wanna level him.

Also, does anyone know if having multiple instances of Falconer stacks the range bonus? Or does it just give you the critical chance at that point?

I'm fairly certain the range bonus doesn't stack. I know when you go to buy it on a second crossbow tower (next to one with maxed falconer) the circle that it shows for the tower's new range is smaller than the current range, if that makes sense. I have no clue about the crit bonus but I'd guess no.

HolaMundo posted:

Frontiers is KR2.
Originally it was going to be an expansion but we kept putting so much new stuff into it that it turned into a new game.

Love your game, just beat the final stage last night. Put the IAP heroes on sale so I can give you guys more money (already bought Sha'tar, he's cool as hell).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

busfahrer posted:

How did I not know about that site? It seems immensely useful.

It's actually a goon site which is mostly an archive of the posts in the What should I know before I play? thread.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

I have no desire to buy a PSP or a Vita, and wish Ogre Battle would be ported to iOS.

This is exactly what I want, too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've never played FFT but loved Disgaea 1. How different is FFT and would I like it if I'm searching for a game similar to Disgaea?

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Just beat KR:F on normal mode. How'd everyone get through the final mission? My build order was something like: 2 artillery and 2 necromancers at the start, then spam crossbows the rest of the game. It was good enough for 3 stars but I'll have to see if that'll hold up on veteran difficulty.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never played FFT but loved Disgaea 1. How different is FFT and would I like it if I'm searching for a game similar to Disgaea?

Less grindy, different kind of character building, less about combos. Should be solid of you like Disgaea I'd think.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's very different. Classes differ in vastly more ways than they do in Disgaea and the whole hook to the game system is mixing and matching the various unique attributes classes have with others, kind of like Final Fantasy V. Battles also require you to be a bit more careful since there's the risk of losing characters permanently. You also have only five characters to set up your pre-battle formation rather than ten. Also there are pre-battle formations.

There's incentive to grind, but it doesn't become the point of the game itself like in the end-game of Disgaea. It's definitely more of a plot-driven game - you won't find a lot of content revolving around whether you got your reincarnated Majin to break 1 million attack yet. I say this as someone who did all that stuff in Disgaea, of course. Whereas Disgaea felt like a shounen anime towards the end where you're looking for increasingly more ridiculous ways to get your (somewhat homogenous) characters stronger and have lots of ways to approach that, FFT's more about having extreme variety in character abilities and just moving from one battle to the next. There's side content, but not quite on the level of Disgaea where at any given time there's like three ways you could be moving yourself forward, all of which are equally valuable. The plot's also a bit more involved, and the game arguably puts greater attention on it than Disgaea does.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The best way I can put it is that if you liked Disgaea, you'll almost certainly like FFT, but that the same doesn't hold true in reverse.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Can anyone recommend a straight up rpg that isn't freemium, doesn't require you to be online, you level and develop your character and isn't created by gameloft or any other similar devs where your constantly pestered with unlocking loot with diamonds or wtv the poo poo they get you to spend in order to advance.

Oh and free.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

Kolta posted:

Can anyone recommend a straight up rpg that isn't freemium, doesn't require you to be online, you level and develop your character and isn't created by gameloft or any other similar devs where your constantly pestered with unlocking loot with diamonds or wtv the poo poo they get you to spend in order to advance.

Oh and free.

Only people who don't ever want to make money would produce a game like that.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Juc66 posted:

Only people who don't ever want to make money would produce a game like that.

Maybe not free then. One time payment.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kolta posted:

Maybe not free then. One time payment.

Oh, well then: FFT.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Oh, well then: FFT.

Got it. All this talk about it has made me jump on board. But I'm looking for something in the form of a hack and slash type.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

FFT is about a million times slower, can gently caress you up (might even force you to restart the entire game) if you don't keep different save files and people will happily tell you to exploit the mechanics to level up and unlock fancy stuff because that's the only way the game is remotely fun.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Kolta posted:

Oh and free.

Tumulus of Fen :colbert:

Or

The Quest. Lite. Then when you realize asking for something like that and expecting free is asinine, buy The Quest Gold and allllllllll its expansions, transfer your save and continue.

New expansion soon, too!

vv If you're a fuckin chump!

Bummey fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 8, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bummey posted:

Tumulus of Fen :colbert:

Or

The Quest. Lite. Then when you realize asking for something like that and expecting free is asinine, buy The Quest Gold and allllllllll its expansions, transfer your save and continue.

New expansion soon, too!

The Quest is really cool, but it's easy to get stuck and need a FAQ.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Wow, 7 hours and 45 mins into Star Wars KOTOR and I've only just left Taris. A about to start my Jedi Training, just have to decide which Jedi tree to go down.

I've never been a huge Star Wars fan boy, but enjoyed the original trilogy very much. This game has really ignited my spark for the franchise.

Best £6.99 I have ever spent on a game. Once I've done this run through, however long that may take, I'll be doing another run with a different class :)

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
KOTOR is loving awesome. I played it years ago so I know the main plot twist and a few other bits from the game but it's an excellent port and definitely worth the bucks if you've never played it before. There are a couple of things I should mention to new players - If you don't harrass Carth constantly and be a snarky son of a bitch to everyone in the game, you're not playing it right.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

frytechnician posted:

KOTOR is loving awesome. I played it years ago so I know the main plot twist and a few other bits from the game but it's an excellent port and definitely worth the bucks if you've never played it before. There are a couple of things I should mention to new players - If you don't harrass Carth constantly and be a snarky son of a bitch to everyone in the game, you're not playing it right.
Best part of being a dick in KOTOR? Having a wookie kill his long time friend, for no good reason, because he swore a life debt to you.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

HolaMundo posted:

Frontiers is KR2.

Kingdom Rush & Frontiers are hands down my favorite games on iOS. I'm glad to see it got greenlit on Steam, when's that coming? I'm looking forward to Castle Blackburn.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Armourking posted:

Best part of being a dick in KOTOR? Having a wookie kill his long time friend, for no good reason, because he swore a life debt to you.

Forgot about this, that was pretty fantastic. Looking forward to replaying soon.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
What about lunar: silver star story. It is an old rpg ported to iOS. It is kind of anime, but decently cheap for what you're getting.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Lunar is a good jrpg and it was ported byagoon, but it ain't no Quest.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Has anyone had a chance to check out this 9th Dawn game that just popped up on Touch Arcade? It looks intriguing.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

runchild posted:

Kingdom Rush & Frontiers are hands down my favorite games on iOS. I'm glad to see it got greenlit on Steam, when's that coming? I'm looking forward to Castle Blackburn.

It's near beta right now. Development should be a bit faster now that Frontiers is out.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

KGBAgent185 posted:

What about lunar: silver star story.

It suffers from the terrible drawback of not being Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Knights of PNP is pretty great. A bit grindy but fun.

FFT js mad easy always but the diffiulty curve just randomly loving skyrockets once or twice a chapter.

I think i do finally need to download that game. So i can have bought it a fourth time.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Anyone still playing Knights and Dragons?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

KR:F - So Buccaneer's Den Iron challenge is total bullshit. I think it's the first level you NEED to use items. But even then the items won't do much to thin the massive wave of poo poo thrown your way.

Reciprocator
Jun 26, 2002

You're not taking drugs are you? I only ask because there is a zero-tolerance policy on the island, and I wouldn't want you to have to punch yourself in the face.

Al! posted:

Has anyone had a chance to check out this 9th Dawn game that just popped up on Touch Arcade? It looks intriguing.

Been playing and enjoying for an hour or two so far. My first character is a mage. There are the usual 3 classes to pick, and it looks like you can't even get back to the main menu while you still have an active character. If you're a fan of Ultima games, the music sounds quite similar to "Stones".

First impression is that the game is fun and the map is enormous for an iOS game. Controls are quite good, although the "angry birds" spell-casting / weapon swing mechanic is a little weird when I tried using my staff. Works just as the tutorial text advertises when casting spells, though. I expect a lot of people will give this a whirl, it's already much better than a lot of the other iOS rpgs I've tried.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

KR:F - So Buccaneer's Den Iron challenge is total bullshit. I think it's the first level you NEED to use items. But even then the items won't do much to thin the massive wave of poo poo thrown your way.

I just tried it and that's some poo poo right there. :eyepop:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
FFT is amazing. It has one of the best stories in the series, great characters, and an excellent level of difficulty.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

So picked up a 32gb iPad at the heed of everyone's advice here. Looking to add a bunch of board games and have a few already as Carcassone. Any other suggestions?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I friggin love KR and Frontiers is right up my alley.

However, I'm getting owned on Casual. I'm not terrible at KR, though arguably what I just said might make you think so. What the poo poo is with this difficulty :confused:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So picked up a 32gb iPad at the heed of everyone's advice here. Looking to add a bunch of board games and have a few already as Carcassone. Any other suggestions?

The iOS board games thread has a great OP that might give you some ideas. Agricola is coming out any day now, so save a couple bucks!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Psion posted:

I friggin love KR and Frontiers is right up my alley.

However, I'm getting owned on Casual. I'm not terrible at KR, though arguably what I just said might make you think so. What the poo poo is with this difficulty :confused:

And it sucks when you don't know until wave 9 that your set up won't work. Everything can be fine until nine scorpions and 40 wolves come out and gently caress your poo poo all the way up. It's frustrating to lose that much time.

Hey Kingdom Rush dev person, let us issue orders to towers. Attack weak/strong enemies, attack near/far enemies, etc. it would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I think Ticket to Ride is an easy one to recommend, there's a bunch of Reiner Knizia games all over the app store, and there's lots more if you want to include card games.

• Locked thread