Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Posting art from the Kickstarter is kosher right?

What can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the reaper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Man, Dorothy looks pissed.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Now how 'bout y'all click your heels together three times and get off my lawn.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Attorney at Funk posted:

Really most of the things I'd point to as missteps of the current developers are areas where they haven't been smugly confident enough that they could do better.

This is exactly how I feel. Where the team's been timid or cagey about either the fanbase or the old rules, the game has looked lamer for it.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

Kickstarter finished. Final total 4,368 backers, $684,755 in pledges.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Kickstarter finished. Final total 4,368 backers, $684,755 in pledges.

That is a whole heck of a lot of money.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah I'm not sure about her dress with the whole antiquity thing.

But its still a bad rear end image.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mexcillent posted:

Yeah I'm not sure about her dress with the whole antiquity thing.

But its still a bad rear end image.

I like it a lot. I think it underscores the 'kitchen sink' aesthetic of Creation. You can have pretty much any sort of dress, somewhere.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Mendrian posted:

I like it a lot. I think it underscores the 'kitchen sink' aesthetic of Creation. You can have pretty much any sort of dress, somewhere.

That's all well and good, but I'm not buying that sort of outfit on Strawmaiden Janest, from all we know of her. That's not a farmer's outfit, much less a farmer-warrior who is taken by priests and augurs to be a badass farmer and warrior. I'd be completely fine with it on someone else. This is the character with a body "toned and hardened by a life in the fields", which just doesn't go with the costume.

Nonetheless, it's a very, very cool image.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Ever read a Little House book? Women wore skirts, still busted rear end on the farm.

Sparda219
Nov 21, 2007

Just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong and priceless?

Attorney at Funk posted:

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Now how 'bout y'all click your heels together three times and get off my lawn.

I thought something similar but gently caress you two are making me fall out of my chair laughing.

Also the dress does look a bit fancy for it with the underskirts and all but they definitely captured the 17-1800s farmgirl aesthetic with it. I love the pic, she looks doomed but at the same time not hopeless as she stands in front of a roiling army literally trailing their own stormclouds.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

mistaya posted:

Ever read a Little House book? Women wore skirts, still busted rear end on the farm.
Indeed. If I recall the fiction, didn't she also put on the fancy shrine maiden outfit, which seems like a good candidate for lacelike fringes and a long skirt? She's one frilly hat away from being a Touhou :getin:

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

mistaya posted:

Yup, you're right, I shouldn't have said 'that's not a farmer's outfit', because I definitely didn't mean it that way. Women in basically every situation in the world wore whatever the hell women wore at that time and place, and still busted their rear end on the farm. Still doesn't feel right for a warrior-cultist of a harvest god in a world meant more to evoke antiquity and not the Dust Bowl to be wearing that. Just an aesthetic feeling.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
No no, you see, pants. Pants all the time. No silly dresses. Just pants.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Excelsiortothemax posted:

No no, you see, pants. Pants all the time. No silly dresses. Just pants.

Well, I was thinking more in the style of what Ernalda is depicted as wearing in King of Dragon Pass (maybe sans the big cape).

It was actually sort of how I was envisioning Strawmaiden Janest the whole time, so I wasn't going to be completely satisfied with the actual art anyway.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
Holy poo poo. That picture is amazeballs.

Bonus points for her being fully dressed, too. Man, I don't even give a crap if she looks like Dorthy Gale.

I hope all the art is like this.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress Dorothy Janest, look at the Rakshasas she's fighting.

I'm very happy they decided to make them more diverse looking than ~elementally themed beautiful elf creatures.~

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
I don't know about kitchen-sink aesthetic for a game ostensibly set in a technological equivalent to the Bronze Age.

Like the coat and prairie skirt are pretty nineteenth century.

But that's a minor, minor, minor complaint because Janest is awesome.

e: If she shows up in my games she'll probably be dressed more like this:

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
I'm thinking more and more about the 'bronze age' thing to be kind of misleading and just go at whatever low-tech level that you want things to be at, goddamnit.

Also, that picture was pretty amazing. I, too, imagined her wearing something like Ernalda would, but, this works fine too.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

GreenMetalSun posted:

Bonus points for her being fully dressed, too. Man, I don't even give a crap if she looks like Dorthy Gale.

I will bet you dollars to donuts that her clothing is intentionally done that way. It looks too deliberate.

(Also now I'm going to think of her scythe as Toto.)

quote:

I hope all the art is like this.

Agreed.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

thatbastardken posted:

Posting art from the Kickstarter is kosher right?

What can the harvest hope for, if not the care of the reaper?

Oh wow. Why wasn't this image #1 for the kickstarter?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

xiw posted:

Oh wow. Why wasn't this image #1 for the kickstarter?

Most likely? It wasn't done yet.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

realbrickwall posted:

The Garden of Earthly Delights is a pretty cool adventure hook. If the 3e Infernals don't have something better, I'll probably just steal that if it ever comes up.

Thanks. I wanted to include at least the possibility of a "redeem them as Solars" hook for people that like that sort of thing, but I wanted to keep it distinct and different from Abyssals with their brooding, introspective soul-searching thing. Somehow it seemed appropriate that if redeeming a Deathknight is a deeply personal exploration of the psyche and of love, loss, and Oblivion, then redeeming the Green Sun Princes is a balls-out crazy jailbreak where you crash a behemoth through the gates of a living prison, kick Zeno's Paradox in the gribblies, and set off a literal truth bomb to blow the whole thing sky high. In slow motion. With Slayer playing in the background.

Basically what I'm saying is that if Abyssals are the Cure, Infernals are the radioactive love child of the Clash, Ziggy Stardust, and Ronnie James Dio.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Has the voting been done for the last Martial Art yet?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

The White Wolf forums have decided again that Asskicker Dorothy is terrible, and have also concluded that she loses all her powers if she ever leaves that field. I dunno if you guys have noticed this, but those are some stupid motherfuckers.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
These fields are not for pillage, fair folk! They are for sowing, and harvesting.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Dammit Who? posted:

The White Wolf forums have decided again that Asskicker Dorothy is terrible, and have also concluded that she loses all her powers if she ever leaves that field. I dunno if you guys have noticed this, but those are some stupid motherfuckers.

If a strawmaiden defending her fields - empowered by her God and the Unconquered Sun, with a great and mighty god-scythe and a pure heart - is able to fight against desperate odds and come out victorious against a Fair Folk raid, it ruins Exalted forever.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

These fields are not for pillage, fair folk! They are for sowing, and harvesting.

This is never going to end, is it? Never.

Dammit Who? posted:

Wait what the gently caress? You have got to post the choiciest bits of this 'discussion'.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Dammit Who? posted:

Sometimes I post cool ideas there to see how hilariously dumb the objections are. I said "I want Abyssals to be the Exalted of destroying whatever powerful institutions and people have wronged them and spreading the spoils amongst the citizenry." A dude was seriously like "How does that involve any caste other than Dusk?" I wanted to throw Leverage DVDs at him like Chakrams.

BryanChavez posted:

If a strawmaiden defending her fields - empowered by her God and the Unconquered Sun, with a great and mighty god-scythe and a pure heart - is able to fight against desperate odds and come out victorious against a Fair Folk raid, it ruins Exalted forever.

Strawmaiden Janest's optimality ruins Raksha protagonism. I wonder if Stephenls knows about this.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

BryanChavez posted:

Not at all. It's only ruined forever if a Solar Exalt in the same position couldn't achieve the same victory at least minutely more efficaciously. Now, imagine yourself chuckling politely at my apparent joke but quieting nervously as you notice my intense and unblinking stare.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Not at all. It's only ruined forever if a Solar Exalt in the same position couldn't achieve the same victory at least minutely more efficaciously. Now, imagine yourself chuckling politely at my apparent joke but quieting nervously as you notice my intense and unblinking stare.

That was actually one of the weirdest disconnects when I read that thread, because there were people who were like, "If a new Solar took on that horde, they would be wiped out." And it stunned me, because I sort of imagined that 'held off a Fair Folk raid' was a hell of a story for an Exaltation. Dragon-Blooded, Lunar, Solar, Exigent, whatever. That seems like one of the most basic 'this is why I was Chosen' stories you can tell.

And yes, the Solar can do it for one mote less.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Strawmaiden Janest's optimality ruins Raksha protagonism. I wonder if Stephenls knows about this.

Hey, I shared my take, and I'll repeat it here:

The nobles look at her and go "Okay, she looks like bad news. Let's send a couple of hobgoblins and silverwights to see what she's capable of."

She threshes them.

Nobles decide a ravaging party with the express purpose of gathering resources to feed their army is probably going to lose more than they gain from this outing -- Like, they could win. They could win well. But they'd lose by winning. Their forces would be reduced. Also, in addition to that, she's too interesting a nemesis to just steamroll. Best to play with her for a bit, crush her will, maybe enslave or enthrall her. Make sport of her, basically. They proclaim some bullshit about being impressed, then retreat and lurk in the area launching smaller midnight raids around the surrounding communities for a while.

Next six months are really interesting.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Stephenls posted:

Next six months are really interesting.

Now that's definitely a situation that a wandering group of god-heroes might come upon and think, "Let's stop here and kill some raksha with this totally cool Chosen of the Harvest."

Somewhat better than tripping over her corpse and seeing a hollowed-out village and going, "Well, nothing to do here."

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

BryanChavez posted:

That was actually one of the weirdest disconnects when I read that thread, because there were people who were like, "If a new Solar took on that horde, they would be wiped out." And it stunned me, because I sort of imagined that 'held off a Fair Folk raid' was a hell of a story for an Exaltation. Dragon-Blooded, Lunar, Solar, Exigent, whatever. That seems like one of the most basic 'this is why I was Chosen' stories you can tell.

I think that a large part of the issue is that many posters literally cannot comprehend a battle-grouping that works in a way other than them swarming Janest with optimal tactics and fighting until every last one of them is dead. Maybe a horde of losers get sent out and cut down first, then the Raksha Boss sends three giants and once one is down he's like "This pissant village isn't even worth my time! Withdraw!" or some villain poo poo like that and he becomes a recurring nemesis. Like, a newly Exalted Janest or Solar doesn't need to let themselves get surrounded and swarmed or go toe-to-toe with the six baddest nobles in the battlegroup to get them to say "Ok, gently caress this."

Stephenls posted:

Hey, I shared my take, and I'll repeat it here:

Ah, sorry Stephen, I actually knew that and was making a joke based on Forum Imitation Prana or whatever it's called.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Sometimes I post cool ideas there to see how hilariously dumb the objections are. I said "I want Abyssals to be the Exalted of destroying whatever powerful institutions and people have wronged them and spreading the spoils amongst the citizenry." A dude was seriously like "How does that involve any caste other than Dusk?" I wanted to throw Leverage DVDs at him like Chakrams.

I already beat you to that joke in the previous thread.

Silver2195 posted:

At my table, Exigents are directly in opposition to Fair Folk protagonism. I'm fed up of all these Strawmaidens. :monocle:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Look, correct roleplaying game protocol means remaining at 100% effectiveness and safety at all times, and therefore always carrying your triple-specialized grand daiklave around, always searching for traps, etc. No one in their right mind would step off the field that gives them +1 die on attack rolls!

Technically there's a shred of value in "oh, so she's powerless when not on a wheat field?!" hysteria because favored terrain type bonuses can be pretty boring and restrictive when implemented poorly. It could get tiresome if water-aspected dragonblooded were constantly trying to shift confrontations to the lakeside, or whatever.

BryanChavez posted:

And yes, the Solar can do it for one mote less.

drat STRAIGHT THEY CAN

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ferrinus posted:

Look, correct roleplaying game protocol means remaining at 100% effectiveness and safety at all times, and therefore always carrying your triple-specialized grand daiklave around, always searching for traps, etc. No one in their right mind would step off the field that gives them +1 die on attack rolls!

Technically there's a shred of value in "oh, so she's powerless when not on a wheat field?!" hysteria because favored terrain type bonuses can be pretty boring and restrictive when implemented poorly. It could get tiresome if water-aspected dragonblooded were constantly trying to shift confrontations to the lakeside, or whatever.

drat STRAIGHT THEY CAN

To be fair, the "Powerless off the wheat field" thing comes from something John said:

"Does she win this battle? Absolutely. She wins hard.

"They are standing in Creation, and in her field. She was risen up by the god of the field and given the divine mandate by Heaven to cast them out. The Unconquered Sun and Ten Sheaves are with her.

"She cannot lose."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I think that a large part of the issue is that many posters literally cannot comprehend a battle-grouping that works in a way other than them swarming Janest with optimal tactics and fighting until every last one of them is dead.

Hmm, you know, the Battle Group rules mean that optimal tactics in 3E creation is for each and every one of your soldiers to adapt a different hair style, outfit, weapon, etc. The key is for each soldier to differentiate themselves from their fellows enough that they cross the threshold that transforms them into a separate character rather than a member of the same aggregated battle group - that way you've got way more independent rolled attacks, willpower points, etc. on your side than theirs.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

"I don't know when

Stephenls posted:

To be fair, the "Powerless off the wheat field" thing comes from something John said:

"Does she win this battle? Absolutely. She wins hard.

"They are standing in Creation, and in her field. She was risen up by the god of the field and given the divine mandate by Heaven to cast them out. The Unconquered Sun and Ten Sheaves are with her.

"She cannot lose."

I think you're being too gentle towards them. If one assumes my favorite basketball team cannot lose a home game, to infer they are necessarily incompetent when playing away games is pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

I think you're being too gentle towards them. If one assumes my favorite basketball team cannot lose a home game, to infer they are necessarily incompetent when playing away games is pretty dumb.

To be fair, when I say "to be fair" sometimes I do not mean to be fair.

• Locked thread