Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Ryuga Death posted:

So checking the BIOS gives an accurate reading, then? Is 12.429 anything to worry about? From your range, it seems like I'm ok.

edit: now hwmonitor shows the +12v, what the hell. I mean, as long as I haven't had any performance issues, I shouldn't be too worried about my PSU, despite what evga tech support says, right?
It's possible that the board is reading it incorrectly since it's a multiple-rail design. You can also check voltages with HWinfo64, although software readings are always going to be quasi-accurate at best.

It's a high-quality unit (albeit 7 years old now), so unless there's problems at load that could be pinned down to power issues it's probably fine - consider replacing it due to the age though.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
My networking setup has been reasonable enough for my solo and mostly wired life but with a new roommate who does a lot of wireless television streaming, I'm wondering if I can do better. After investigating whether my equipment or Comcast was to blame last night I came across two possible culprits:

1. My (wired) Netgear GS108T switch. It was HOT! That can't be good. I flipped it to the side and overnight I'm guessing it was 20 degrees cooler. As of now, if the kitchen heat gun thermometer is to be believed, the case is currently 93 degrees.

2. My D-Link DIR 655 WAP. It always seemed a bit persnickety when it was largely the lone router in a house and now that I'm in an apartment complex with a good 4-5 other WAPs broadcasting, seems to not be much better. It seems to work well for hours at a time then it can experience an hour or so of awfulness ranging from low to no traffic. Is this WAP known for being crappy or could it just be conflicts with the others in the building?

What are the current recommendations (or resources to find them) for good gigabit switches and WAPs? I did a quick hunt on Amazon for gigabit switches and came across reviews that were only as recent as 2011 so I'm not exactly sure where to look.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You might get a better response in the home networking thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442319

That said

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Unmanaged-GREENnet-Standard-1000Mbps/dp/B001QUA6RA/ref=zg_bs_281414_3 looks like a good switch that won't be a million degrees if you worry about that sort of thing (some switches run hot)

Your D-Link thing there seems like it has ok reviews. Might try changing the channels on it, 4-5 other APs doesn't sound like a lot but maybe there is one right next to you on the same channel. Or if you're just pissed at it, pick up something from the recommendations in the OP of the networking thread.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 3, 2013

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Thanks for the recommendation for both thread and switch. I'll copy my post there.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Okay here is what I got when I ran the BlueScreenView thing. Any guesses?

cmykJester fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 3, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

cmykjester posted:

Okay here is what I got when I ran the BlueScreenView thing. Any guesses?
Like you said it's probably memory. Run the diagnostic (Start, Search, Memory) and post a Haus thread if you need more help.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

LCD Deathpanel posted:

Looks like you're probably using too much. Clean it off the heatsink & CPU with rubbing alcohol and try again. You only really need like a grain of rice-sized bit. Make sure the CPU heatsink is fully-secured by all 4 pegs.

Doing both of these things has fixed my problem. Thank you

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I can't file some sort of claim against a hard drive manufacturer when their disks fail after less than 10 days of ownership, ruining all the files backed to that device in the process, can I? I bought a WD Elements external a few days ago to replace an old hard drive that was failing, and it just died mysteriously for no reason. Gets blinking lights when plugged in and isn't detected. What the poo poo? Are these things supposed to die after a few days of use?

Google searches indicate many people have had the same problem.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

I can't file some sort of claim against a hard drive manufacturer when their disks fail after less than 10 days of ownership, ruining all the files backed to that device in the process, can I? I bought a WD Elements external a few days ago to replace an old hard drive that was failing, and it just died mysteriously for no reason. Gets blinking lights when plugged in and isn't detected. What the poo poo? Are these things supposed to die after a few days of use?

Google searches indicate many people have had the same problem.

Nope though it should be well under warranty. poo poo like that happens unfortunately and is part of the reason RAID != backup and other mantras exist. Spinny disks are inherently failable unfortunately and the only way to be truly safe is to have many of them in many different places, which is where online backup solutions come into play. Let them deal with the geographic separation + replacing spinny things, you just worry about your upload speed.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'm going through a support ticket with EVGA for my video card artifacting, they told me to monitor my +12v. I'm idling at 12.024v and under load in Battlefield 3 it was down to 11.736v. Previously while monitoring, it had gone down to 11.6**v. I forget what the numbers were exactly, and I forgot to write them down. Is this voltage fluctuation within reason? According to EVGA:

EVGA posted:

A healthy reading (official ATX spec) is between 11.4 - 12.6v, and stable. However, different brands have different tolerances for overvolting and under volting, if it is outside 11.9v and 12.30v, or if you observe consistent fluctuations of more than .05 volts then this may be a sign of concern for a degraded or failing +12v rail.

I have an Antec EarthWatts EA-650 Green. It apparently has a 3 year warranty, so if it's actually busted, then at least I can get it replaced...

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

movax posted:

Nope though it should be well under warranty. poo poo like that happens unfortunately and is part of the reason RAID != backup and other mantras exist. Spinny disks are inherently failable unfortunately and the only way to be truly safe is to have many of them in many different places, which is where online backup solutions come into play. Let them deal with the geographic separation + replacing spinny things, you just worry about your upload speed.

At this point, i'm just gonna return it to the store for a refund and avoid dealing with more externals. I got it from Fry's, which means I have either a 15 or 30 day period to return it for a refund, and it was purchased 13 days ago, which leaves me either 2 days or 17 days to attempt data recovery. I'll have to call tomorrow, and figure it out. In the meanwhile, gonna make a thread in the troubleshooting sub forum to see what I can do about recovering these files.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

dog nougat posted:

I'm going through a support ticket with EVGA for my video card artifacting, they told me to monitor my +12v. I'm idling at 12.024v and under load in Battlefield 3 it was down to 11.736v. Previously while monitoring, it had gone down to 11.6**v. I forget what the numbers were exactly, and I forgot to write them down. Is this voltage fluctuation within reason? According to EVGA:

I have an Antec EarthWatts EA-650 Green. It apparently has a 3 year warranty, so if it's actually busted, then at least I can get it replaced...

Actually, that's plausible for a PSU failure. You're getting a surprising amount of +12V Vdroop for that PSU, assuming it's the exact same model and revision as in JonnyGuru's review. The review unit there dropped from 12.04V at idle to only 11.98V at full load, better-than-1% +12V regulation; your unit is showing ~3.5% regulation, nearly an order of magnitude worse.

E: Same deal if it's the newer model with the green casing and 80+ Bronze rating.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 6, 2013

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

What's the easiest/safest way of cleaning off old thermal paste from CPUs and coolers?

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

ijyt posted:

What's the easiest/safest way of cleaning off old thermal paste from CPUs and coolers?

A high-percentage isopropyl rubbing alcohol, I'd prefer 70% or more, combined with a coffee filter or paper towel that won't leave fibers behind will do just fine.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

CrystalDiskInfo is showing warnings for a friend's laptop I just borrowed. Reallocated Sectors Count and Current Pending Sector Count are both 100. My question: is it gonna die in the very near future? Not sure if I should return the laptop immediately, or just order a cheapish hdd online and back up the essentials on some dvds.

The HDD temperature is also 58c, but some canned air will probably fix that. Edit: Now 62c on idle, definitely need to get some canned air.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 7, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Fruits of the sea posted:

CrystalDiskInfo is showing warnings for a friend's laptop I just borrowed. Reallocated Sectors Count and Current Pending Sector Count are both 100. My question: is it gonna die in the very near future? Not sure if I should return the laptop immediately, or just order a cheapish hdd online and back up the essentials on some dvds.
Check the raw error counts in the column at the right. If you have more than one error, I'd call your friend immediately and say you noticed the HDD was on its way out and ask what they want to do. (If it helps the whole "it was fine when I gave it to you" thing you could maybe use the analogy of checking the diagnostic computer in a car?) I'd look at the Seagate SSHD (Solid-State Hybrid Drive) options, they are about the same price as your average slow laptop drive but perform like fast desktop drives.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Alereon posted:

Check the raw error counts in the column at the right. If you have more than one error, I'd call your friend immediately and say you noticed the HDD was on its way out and ask what they want to do. (If it helps the whole "it was fine when I gave it to you" thing you could maybe use the analogy of checking the diagnostic computer in a car?) I'd look at the Seagate SSHD (Solid-State Hybrid Drive) options, they are about the same price as your average slow laptop drive but perform like fast desktop drives.

Thanks, the raw error count is 2. I got a call back from the friend and apparently he just forgot to tell me about the hard drive, so I guess it's been limping along like this for a while. I've since discovered that the dvd drive is busted and the sound is acting up, so I think it's fair to say that the laptop has led a very hard life.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I finally have committed to moving my desk back to my office instead of in the common area, this presents one problem. I also use one of the workstations as a HTPC to stream to my television - wired, obviously. I am not going to be able to run cable because the office is on the other side of the apartment (so I cant roll my own in the walls, etc), and I'm in Florida and have tile floors, so no hiding the cable there. Streaming over WiFi is terrible, so I was thinking about the 'ethernet over the powerline' approach. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is it a viable option?

ninja edit: maybe should have posted this in the networking thread, if there is one.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 7, 2013

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I've had good success/wife-acceptance factor by simply using white cat5 and a little adhesive to glue the cord along baseboards, or those wire clips. I'm also going to quote you to a friend's wife who forbids cables "I stream from a workstation to my TV, wired, obviously." That's gold, might push her into accepting a single Cat6 run that's basically invisible, finally. Streaming over wireless sounds awful.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

eightysixed posted:

I finally have committed to moving my desk back to my office instead of in the common area, this presents one problem. I also use one of the workstations as a HTPC to stream to my television - wired, obviously. I am not going to be able to run cable because the office is on the other side of the apartment (so I cant roll my own in the walls, etc), and I'm in Florida and have tile floors, so no hiding the cable there. Streaming over WiFi is terrible, so I was thinking about the 'ethernet over the powerline' approach. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is it a viable option?

ninja edit: maybe should have posted this in the networking thread, if there is one.

Depends on a lot of variables really, main one being modern and good quality cabling in your house.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Experto Crede posted:

Depends on a lot of variables really, main one being modern and good quality cabling in your house.

The building is quite new. I can't comment on the quality of the internal wiring though. I guess, can someone recommend the most efficient/cost-effective hardware?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

eightysixed posted:

The building is quite new. I can't comment on the quality of the internal wiring though. I guess, can someone recommend the most efficient/cost-effective hardware?
It's probably a poor choice to buy powerline Ethernet if you're looking for a reliable connection, just like wireless you have to make significant investments in quality equipment or have favorable conditions to get a connection good enough to stream video. Since having a wireless network is more generally useful anyway, it probably would make more sense to just invest in good wireless equipment.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
How likely would it be that if my video card was knocked out of the MOBO and partially bent in the process that it would be damaged? I can't test anything because I need to leave it as-is for the inspector.

edit: If you're curious about the rest of my computer

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Elysiume posted:

How likely would it be that if my video card was knocked out of the MOBO and partially bent in the process that it would be damaged? I can't test anything because I need to leave it as-is for the inspector.

Did you ship it? Heavy video cards will come loose during shipping. In the old days some builders would put a dab of hot glue on the AGP connector to hold the card in.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bob Morales posted:

Did you ship it? Heavy video cards will come loose during shipping. In the old days some builders would put a dab of hot glue on the AGP connector to hold the card in.
I did ship it. It's not that heavy, and this time it went 400 miles. I've shipped it ~5000 miles and driven it ~2000 miles without a problem.
edit: Also, it didn't just come loose, it's bent. And it came out with enough force to tear out the SATA connectors (at least I assume that's what did it).

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 8, 2013

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Alereon posted:

A follow-up to this: Will an SSHD work ok with a five year-old laptop? It's currently running Windows 7 and what appears to be a SATA 2 hard drive. The laptop is a Clevo M860TU.

I'm looking at replacing it with this: http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/616000/seagate-laptop-thin-sshd-hybrid-harddi Laptop's eventually gonna die, but I figure I'll just move the drive into an enclosure and use it for games and media.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

A follow-up to this: Will an SSHD work ok with a five year-old laptop? It's currently running Windows 7 and what appears to be a SATA 2 hard drive. The laptop is a Clevo M860TU.

I'm looking at replacing it with this: http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/616000/seagate-laptop-thin-sshd-hybrid-harddi Laptop's eventually gonna die, but I figure I'll just move the drive into an enclosure and use it for games and media.
The computer can use it, it's a normal SATA drive, though the 500GB model is meant for thin laptops so is 7mm thick rather than the normal 9.5mm. That should be fine in nearly all cases though since the screw holes are in the same position.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Elysiume posted:

Your graphics card is almost inevitably hosed. Your motherboard is certainly hosed. Looking at the damage, your hard drive could be pretty unhealthy right now. The only salvageable parts will doubtless be the processor and memory. Don't try to power it on or you could very well make it so even they aren't.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Pretty stupid question: does upgrading a cpu (but keeping the mobo) require a fresh OS install? Most Google results assume I want to replace my MoBo as well...

Going from a Intel G620 to 3470, so pretty sure my P8Z77 should be fine.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
Any time you ship a case like that it's always a good idea to take all major components (HSF/HDD's/GPU) out of the case and then fill it with something non-conductive and that won't create/spread static. Also, go overboard with packing since FedEx/UPS will drop poo poo occasionally or stuff can get knocked around in sorting. Shipping with a tower cooler in place is a guaranteed way to gently caress up your motherboard if things go even a little bit south.

When I shipped a PC build to my uncle recently, everything ended up mostly intact, although the only components that might've moved were the SSD & HDD which were secured via screws instead of via the tool-less clips.

Reggie Died posted:

Pretty stupid question: does upgrading a cpu (but keeping the mobo) require a fresh OS install? Most Google results assume I want to replace my MoBo as well...

Going from a Intel G620 to 3470, so pretty sure my P8Z77 should be fine.
Nope, although you should probably make sure you update the BIOS to the most-recent version before doing the swap, and you'll probably have to reapply TIM unless you're using a new cooler. You can pick up AS5 or ceramique at any radio shack if you don't have any on hand, and if you're using a 212+ I'm pretty sure they include extra TIM in the packaging.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 9, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I decided to pull out my wireless 360 controller for Windows (a device most of the internet doesn't even seem to know exists, including most of MS's support pages) for the first time in a few weeks, and it doesn't work at all anymore. The light on the receiver doesn't even light up, so there's nothing for the controller itself to find. Reading around, the only thing that is somewhat close is the idea that it sucks too much USB power and won't run if any other USB devices are plugged in, but I have tried it as the only USB device plugged in, in three different USB ports. Is it possible it's just dead? Would there be any way to check?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I decided to pull out my wireless 360 controller for Windows (a device most of the internet doesn't even seem to know exists, including most of MS's support pages) for the first time in a few weeks, and it doesn't work at all anymore. The light on the receiver doesn't even light up, so there's nothing for the controller itself to find. Reading around, the only thing that is somewhat close is the idea that it sucks too much USB power and won't run if any other USB devices are plugged in, but I have tried it as the only USB device plugged in, in three different USB ports. Is it possible it's just dead? Would there be any way to check?

Plugging it into a 360 should confirm whether it works or not, the Windows controllers are also compatible with consoles.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Plugging it into a 360 should confirm whether it works or not, the Windows controllers are also compatible with consoles.
Yes and I have a 360 right here...oh right I haven't owned a 360 for years because the PC has ports of all the 360 games I want and thus I don't need both.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I can see why "bring it to a friend's place" might not be a possible solution.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Factory Factory posted:

I can see why "bring it to a friend's place" might not be a possible solution.
I think I know what you're implying but leaving that aside, I don't have any friends here in town with 360s, just PS2s and 3's, and one WiiU.

edit: I am sorry I snapped though, it just seemed like a really weird supposition and I was frustrated to begin with. I don't understand how this receiver went from working to not working while just sitting in my closet.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 9, 2013

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
In a similar vein to the CrystalDiskInfo post made a little while ago, my main drive is also showing a Reallocated Sectors Count warning.

Now I know that this is a bad sign, but it this warning has stayed exactly the same for at least 2 years, which was when I first found out about CrystalDiskInfo. To be on the safe side, I'm going to order a new hard drive. SSDs are still too expensive for me, so I'm looking at a mechanical HD. Are the WD black drives any good? They seem to be one of the few drives left with 5 year warranties that don't cost $300. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, the bad drive is still under warranty. However, I used SeaTools to scan the drive and all the tests passed. Has anyone ever gotten a warranty replacement even though it passed the manufacturer's tests? I'd hate to send the drat thing off and not get a new one.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

One Nut Wonder posted:

In a similar vein to the CrystalDiskInfo post made a little while ago, my main drive is also showing a Reallocated Sectors Count warning.

Now I know that this is a bad sign, but it this warning has stayed exactly the same for at least 2 years, which was when I first found out about CrystalDiskInfo. To be on the safe side, I'm going to order a new hard drive. SSDs are still too expensive for me, so I'm looking at a mechanical HD. Are the WD black drives any good? They seem to be one of the few drives left with 5 year warranties that don't cost $300. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, the bad drive is still under warranty. However, I used SeaTools to scan the drive and all the tests passed. Has anyone ever gotten a warranty replacement even though it passed the manufacturer's tests? I'd hate to send the drat thing off and not get a new one.
A WD Black would be fine. For the bad drive, Seagate has a code on their RMA website that's basically "I'm confident that the drive has failed, but it passes Seatools" (look at the code list link on their site for the specific code to use).

Use that code and they'll replace it without problems, but you can also put a printout of the CDI screenshot in the box if you want to be sure.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 10, 2013

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I'm looking for some opinions on good DVD-R stock to use as a master for multimedia projects that require mass duplication, and a reliable single speed (1x) burner. This isn't for me personally, but the company I work for just got burned with a couple of fuckups at the dupe plant and so I've been tasked with getting this info for my boss. We very, very rarely do any projects that require mass duplication but we're had some real issues in the last week and it's looking like the culprit is our current media/burner combo which is just standard consumer bargain bin stuff.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

thunderspanks posted:

I'm looking for some opinions on good DVD-R stock to use as a master for multimedia projects that require mass duplication, and a reliable single speed (1x) burner. This isn't for me personally, but the company I work for just got burned with a couple of fuckups at the dupe plant and so I've been tasked with getting this info for my boss. We very, very rarely do any projects that require mass duplication but we're had some real issues in the last week and it's looking like the culprit is our current media/burner combo which is just standard consumer bargain bin stuff.
Is there some reason you were burning at 1X or did someone think that gave you better burning quality? (It doesn't.) I think the correct answer here is cheap consumer Lite-On SATA burners with the latest firmware and good quality DVD-Rs, burning at the recommended speed. While Lite-On drives are inexpensive, many more expensive drives are rebranded Lite-Ons and "professional" equipment has Lite-On inside. Back when I was buying DVD-Rs the best option was RiData, though that was a couple years back, I bought a few hundred and haven't needed to get more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Alereon posted:

Is there some reason you were burning at 1X or did someone think that gave you better burning quality? (It doesn't.) I think the correct answer here is cheap consumer Lite-On SATA burners with the latest firmware and good quality DVD-Rs, burning at the recommended speed. While Lite-On drives are inexpensive, many more expensive drives are rebranded Lite-Ons and "professional" equipment has Lite-On inside. Back when I was buying DVD-Rs the best option was RiData, though that was a couple years back, I bought a few hundred and haven't needed to get more.

Didn't old drives (CD at least) have problems reading 'fast' burned discs? I remember installing Linux on older machines and it wouldn't pick the disc up right if you went over 8x etc.

• Locked thread