Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Has there ever been a traditional family sitcom anyway? Most of the comedy in family sitcoms is due to wacky family members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Don't worry, transfolk. The straight white cismen have arrived. Everything is under control. You may now relax, safe in the knowledge that the straight white cismen are on the case! Look, I can hear them coming now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-JHfXVlkik

I do so hope they're reassured by that! I'm reassured...

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

Don't worry, transfolk. The straight white cismen have arrived. Everything is under control. You may now relax, safe in the knowledge that the straight white cismen are on the case! Look, I can hear them coming now!

How do you know they are straight/white/cis?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I believe one of them is gay, to be fair.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I thought you guys and gals would enjoy this article...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

How do you know they are straight/white/cis?

They work for the BBC in a writing capacity.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Pablo Bluth posted:

I thought you guys and gals would enjoy this article...

This is insufferable.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
cis?

Also, Chris Packham saying "jizz" (G.I.S.S - general impression of size and shape) on Springwatch a number of times amused me far too much.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

Opposite of trans. A cisgendered male is a born male who identifies as male.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Xachariah posted:

Has there ever been a traditional family sitcom anyway? Most of the comedy in family sitcoms is due to wacky family members.
2.4 Children was mostly normal if memory serves. The wackiness was from the neighbours i think.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

HERAK posted:

2.4 Children was mostly normal if memory serves. The wackiness was from the neighbours i think.

Nah, the wackiness came almost always from the father.
The only neighbour was Rhona, the man hungry stereotype.

Don't think there ever has been a 'normal nuclear 50s family' sitcom here in the UK since Alf Garnett or similar shows in the 1960s.
You are hard pressed finding any kids really in UK sitcoms in the 70s/80s, the 'kid' roles were usually morphed into adults like the two lodgers in Rising Damp.

My Family would probably be the only comparable one, as theres two kids, the 'wackiness' came from their house guest staying with them.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

happyhippy posted:

My Family would probably be the only comparable one, as theres two kids, the 'wackiness' came from their house guest staying with them.

You're forgetting the wacky eldest child (because they had three children) when My Family hadn't outlived its welcome, who then did BT adverts, Nick

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

onoflalks posted:

You're forgetting the wacky eldest child (because they had three children) when My Family hadn't outlived its welcome, who then did BT adverts, Nick

You've sure written a sentence there. Anyway, those adverts are now about Nick's adopted daughter and her uni friends. I hope that she'll get it together with the cool one, but doesn't let that get between her friendship with the nebbishy one.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Luther series 3 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5yY7MOUKIs

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Opposite of trans. A cisgendered male is a born male who identifies as male.

Ohhhhhh, just say normal.

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

Ohhhhhh, just say normal.

That's transphobic, because it implies that trans* people aren't "normal" which is mean.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Aaaahhhh! Oh, happy, happy day. I've missed Idris Elba smiling beautifully, and then flinging men off of high-rise flats.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

That's transphobic, because it implies that trans* people aren't "normal" which is mean.
And so vague as to be meaningless. As it doesn't specify in which way someone is "normal", and nobody on the planet being "normal" in every possible way.

(I love scare quotes)

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Xachariah posted:

What about Butterflies? From what I remember, that had a typical family, with none of the members being particularly wacky. Although I do remember it being slightly dark and depressing, also.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Since we occasionally talk about radio here, I'll just say: Radio 4 has a forthcoming prog that goes by The Zeitgeistists, which I thought for sure would be the title of a comedy. Nope, it's genuinely about people who form the zeitgeist and work in the media. loving hell.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

And true

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

I have no issue whatsoever with anyone in the LGBT community, and others, but pretending that it's a "normal" / "default" setting is just silly. Accepting them with open arms, absolutely, but it's no use pretending that "CIS" people aren't a standard majority.

(On the other hand, I suppose in a sense it's no different to being called straight but I am rather bored of seeing cis used as some kind of reverse-derogatory term. I can see my own trans, post-op friend stays away from being a part of any kind of community)

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

hermand posted:

I have no issue whatsoever with anyone in the LGBT community, and others, but pretending that it's a "normal" / "default" setting is just silly. Accepting them with open arms, absolutely, but it's no use pretending that "CIS" people aren't a standard majority.

(On the other hand, I suppose in a sense it's no different to being called straight but I am rather bored of seeing cis used as some kind of reverse-derogatory term. I can see my own trans, post-op friend stays away from being a part of any kind of community)

The problem with referring to cissexuals as "normal" is that it means that transsexuals aren't normal. Normality is all relative anyway, but people do get offended if they are basically being called abnormal for not fitting into the privileged white male cis white straight male first world thin male white male category.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

hermand posted:

Well it's nice to see you put your "boredom" ahead of not making trans people feel unwelcome.

It is an utterly trivial shift in language to make, and has the advantage of both being accurate and non-dehumanising.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

hermand posted:

There's a difference between saying 'cis isn't an important word' and 'cis is a derogatory word'. Most of the time people aren't referred to as cis for the same reason most of the time people aren't referred to as heterosexual. But when you're having discussion involving transsexuality it makes sense to use the word cis just because it's a whole lot shorter way of saying 'people who aren't trans'

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~
So since a majority of people are White in the UK, anything else is "abnormal"? People shouldn't be called White because they're just "normal"? The sudden transphobia in this thread is disgusting. Cisgender is simply a descriptive term, and boo-loving-hoo for you if you're offended by being described as that.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I was taught using labels for anyone was a pretty silly thing and cheapens everyone involved.

Also, what the gently caress has this now to do with our lovely year of telly?

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I was taught using labels for anyone was a pretty silly thing and cheapens everyone involved.

Because the lovely year of telly has produced some lovely patronising trans* comedies. I am looking forward to the unique new sitcom about the wacky family.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I think you're confusing labels and slurs. Without labels we wouldn't even be able to point to someone and say "that's my mother".

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Jesus christ, we have "cis" for the same reason we have "straight". And the same arguments used to get trotted out for using "straight", and especially for using "heterosexual".

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's a pretty good BBC4 documentary on iPlayer about clockwork and automata. If you're like me and were never quite capable of colouring inside the lines, there are some seriously tiny mechanics to have anxiety dreams about.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

goatface posted:

There's a pretty good BBC4 documentary on iPlayer about clockwork and automata. If you're like me and were never quite capable of colouring inside the lines, there are some seriously tiny mechanics to have anxiety dreams about.

Excellent documentary, and it's extraordinary to see that machines of such amazing complexity was was being made in 1750 or thereabouts, but Lord, some of the automata dolls gave me the screaming meemies. Especially the little boy doll who writes; I think it was the horribly realistic way he gave his quill a wee shake to clear it of excess ink after dipping it in the inkpot.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That thing was pretty loving creepy, but I would love to have the chance to play with one.

I'd be far too eager to dismantle the entire thing though, so it's probably best I don't.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

SeanBeansShako posted:

So you don't believe in calling people straight, gay, black, white, British, American, young, old..?

I don't think you've thought that sentence through.

hermand posted:

I am rather bored of seeing cis used as some kind of reverse-derogatory term.

If boredom's the worst you've felt about someone insulting the fundamentals of your identity, count yourself loving lucky.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 9, 2013

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

Because it's impossible to believe that cis people wrote better comedy scripts about trans characters than trans writers did, apparently.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

FreakyZoid posted:

Because it's impossible to believe that cis people wrote better comedy scripts about trans characters than trans writers did, apparently.

Since when does the BBC's high opinion of a script reflect quality?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
My wife and I watched 'The Fall' last night. It's like Prime Suspect mixed with The Killing. Gillian Anderson puts in a good shift and its fun spotting all the hollyoaks actors. It's a watch IMO.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

The problem with referring to cissexuals as "normal" is that it means that transsexuals aren't normal. Normality is all relative anyway, but people do get offended if they are basically being called abnormal for not fitting into the privileged white male cis white straight male first world thin male white male category.
Strictly speaking, if >99% of a sample fit a certain criteria, that criteria is the normal. Thus it is entirely accurate to describe non-trans/cis as normal. The issue is that abnormal has taken on connotations of undesirability over and above mere statistical minority ("Einstein had abnormal intelligence"). So it is out of politeness one should abstain from using the normal label for any aspect of humans that might contibute to identity (so okay for heart disease, not okay for deafness).

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 9, 2013

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Returned/Les Revenants starts on C4 tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

My wife and I watched 'The Fall' last night. It's like Prime Suspect mixed with The Killing. Gillian Anderson puts in a good shift and its fun spotting all the hollyoaks actors. It's a watch IMO.

Would it be fun for someone who hasn't watched Hollyoaks?