Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Guilty posted:

Just get it drained as soon as you notice one. Cauliflower ears are the stupidest loving scars, since they're so easily avoidable. It's like a kid who decides being emo is fashionable and cuts himself with a paper clip because he's "deep"

I don't think people are out there trying to get cauliflower ear to look fashionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Novum posted:

I don't think people are out there trying to get cauliflower ear to look fashionable.

They basically are since the treatment to avoiding it is so easy that you can do it at home (not going to promote this option here).

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I was the complete opposite, trained Muay Thai and occasional BBJ/MMA and got myself a cauliflower ear....had it drained twice the hospital didn't compress it properly so it refilled, the third time they cut it and stuffed it with gauze it didn't refill but it deformed my ear and now I struggle to buy headphones.....

I guess they don't see much of it here in the UK

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Guilty posted:

They basically are since the treatment to avoiding it is so easy that you can do it at home (not going to promote this option here).

Basically this with the caveat that if you get cauliflower ear right before a big tournament or fight you might not have time to get it drained and healed up before said event. And teenage kids are very bad at weighing the long term effects of decisions.

Most people who have it only have it because they think it looks cool though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gaz2k21 posted:

now I struggle to buy headphones.....

Since I got them drained the only lasting impact of the getting cauliflower ear at least three times is not being able to wear ipod style headphones in my left ear. I have to get the ones that actually go into your ear canal if I am getting buds.

It was kind of cool though, the last time I got it it kept refilling so they basically sewed two of those nose tampon things tightly onto my ear to keep it closed up until it healed. So I walked around with a crusty, bloody gauze filled ear for a few weeks in high school and got to feel bad rear end.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Thoguh posted:

Most people who have it only have it because they think it looks cool though.

I take it all back then. Someone should tell them that girls think messed up ears are kind of gross.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Yeah I've seen guys who have trained for a decade have perfect ears and guys who have trained for 8 months and have to get them drained

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
I've drained guy's ears and had them return to 100% normal and I've drained guy's ears repeatedly who wear headgear and seen them still get nasty. It all depends on the person. I have only met a few who really wanted their ears to get bad.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
After 6 years of grappling & Kickboxing & MMA, I have a little cauliflower. It really depends on you as a person. I've never worn headgear, I got it drained twice when it really swole up, but altogether, its just some hard pieces (mostly) on the back of my ear that no one sees. I'm not getting it fixed more (plastic surgery) because I'll keep grappling.

It really doesn't happen over time (to me); it just happens at once, and randomly. Sometimes when you grind your ear against someone's hip a lot you can tell you'll get some cauliflower later that night (ice it). For some people headgear works, but for me, I feel it shifts around and hurts my ears more than it helps. I also got better at tucking my head over time.

But hey, this one guy I know got super duper gross ears within 4 weeks of starting training. Like, exploded tomato ears.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Awkward newbie moment tonight: I accidentally uppercut a girl in the boob.

I swear my face looked like this :ohdear: when I had realized what I had done! Luckily she was pretty cool about it. I guess girl MT practitioners are used to the occasional boob punch. Also, got to train with a fellow southpaw and found I was getting surprised by punches left and right! Definitely ended up getting a taste of my own medicine.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Dolemite posted:

I swear my face looked like this :ohdear: when I had realized what I had done! Luckily she was pretty cool about it. I guess girl MT practitioners are used to the occasional boob punch.

Yeah, I don't think that even qualifies as awkward, it happens all the time and there's no real way to avoid it. If her boobs are sensitive she can get a chest protector.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

I've drained guy's ears and had them return to 100% normal and I've drained guy's ears repeatedly who wear headgear and seen them still get nasty. It all depends on the person. I have only met a few who really wanted their ears to get bad.

Yeah, I drained my ears every time they swelled and they still look like they've been chewed on. Some people are just more susceptible.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Dolemite posted:

I swear my face looked like this :ohdear: when I had realized what I had done! Luckily she was pretty cool about it. I guess girl MT practitioners are used to the occasional boob punch. Also, got to train with a fellow southpaw and found I was getting surprised by punches left and right! Definitely ended up getting a taste of my own medicine.

Wait till you start to clinch. That's when the real awkwardness starts.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dolemite posted:

ive punched girls in the boobs before. it wasnt as awkward as the time i gave a girl a concussion :(

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Guilty posted:

Wait till you start to clinch. That's when the real awkwardness starts.

You're gonna learn how to tenderly slow dance with burly dudes who want to knee your guts and you're gonna learn to like it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I had to drain mine daily for about two weeks after the first bjj competition I was in, but it looks fine now. The best part was all the advice I got on how to drain properly from guys that look like there ears were caught in a garbage disposal then thrown in a blender. "Heat the needle then move it around inside to cauterize that poo poo then put clothes pins on it..." :haw:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
my coach has trained his entire life and has very little, its basically unnoticeable unless you're looking in his ear canal. I think genetics is the biggest factor. Unless you're like Chute Box and rubbing rocks on your ears.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Guilty posted:

Not really. I've both had my left ear drained professionally and in my own bathroom, several times, and it still looks like it's a wax replica. My right ear has never had any swelling at all. Ears are weird.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
My headgear works like a charm. My ears aren't even a little sore after rolling or clinch work. Which is good because my connective tissue has all the integrity of a wet fart.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I just have bad rear end ears-of-steel. Years of grappling and getting punched and I'm still pretty.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Very recently shaved hair -> imitation leather helmet -> jungle like humidity and heat = Every single hook spins the pot 50% around my head blinding me in the process. Straights dislodge it to a weird angle no matter if I pull it so tight my face looks like it's about to burst out from the front. ALSO have amateur-rules fight in two days. I'm not in fight shape anyway, because as usual, I'm recovering from a flu which hit me just when I was preparing but I don't mind. (poo poo, the ruleset doesn't really prefer me hugging, shoving and grabbing that much, whatever, I'll just circle away from his right and eat 10 000 jabs to face.)

I can go for a round or two but I really have to figure out something with that loving helmet!%!#%#% With my eye issue fighting someone who punches quite hard without is not an option.

edit: hmmm, maybe I'll insert a sweatband underneath or tie a scarf before donning that piece of poo poo kit of plastic

Ligur fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 6, 2013

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Yeah I would try some sort of stocking cap. Have you tightened the top strings? Those often help in keeping headgear in place. Hope you get it sorted before the fight and good luck.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Get yourself a better helmet.

I shave my head and sweat profusely, but my real leather headgear only shifts a little when clinching.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Did some 3 minute rounds with a 250 lbs guy who can box (I'm 205-210), my face has a mince-meatey appearance but this was the first time this week I didn't feel like just shoving it and/or vomiting. Spent the last 30 seconds of each round on the ropes just getting teed on with massive body shots, didn't feel them. Progress!

I should have been at this stage LAST week not now, but at least I'm getting to my pre-flu level of conditioning. Every day feels better. It's not optimal to train like this just before you have to go but I must make my body used to being gassed, so what can I do after losing the last two weeks. Tomorrow spar a bit, eat well and hope for the best.

KidDynamite posted:

Yeah I would try some sort of stocking cap. Have you tightened the top strings? Those often help in keeping headgear in place.

Tightened the top, certainly helped. Tomorrow a retry with a scarf, hope that anchors it.

eine dose socken posted:

Get yourself a better helmet.

I shave my head and sweat profusely, but my real leather headgear only shifts a little when clinching.

Very good advice I just don't have the money to invest on a leather helmet right now.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Does anyone have a recommendation for a round timer app for android? Not looking for anything specific, but just thought if someone had something particular they liked and could recommend

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
This is what I use:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GUuYXRpbWVyIl0.

It is simple and customizable.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

This is what I use:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GUuYXRpbWVyIl0.

It is simple and customizable.

Have used that too, is satisfactory.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Got my blue belt in BJJ today. :toot:

Also beforehand we had an in-house tourney for us and our affiliated schools, took 2nd out of 15 in the white-to-low-blue no-gi division. Got three submissions in a row (RNC, North-South, Guillotine) before losing to a heavier/better guy in the finals.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is it normal for a judo instructor not teaching you to break fall before being thrown? Because that happened to me at my last judo class. Is this standard?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Do they know you don't know how to breakfall?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Smoking Crow posted:

Is it normal for a judo instructor not teaching you to break fall before being thrown? Because that happened to me at my last judo class. Is this standard?

Were they throwing you, or having some white belt throw you?

Because if they were just tossing you into class without teaching falling, that is bad.

If they had a brown or black belt show you what it is like to be thrown, and did some basic throws while letting you down very easily and protecting you from yourself, then not a big deal.

Never be afraid to bring it up if you are uncomfortable with something in a class. It's entirely possible they forgot you hadn't been over ukemi yet.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I told the guy and he said that in Judo "we learn by doing." And then a black belt yelled at me for landing wrong.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Smoking Crow posted:

I told the guy and he said that in Judo "we learn by doing." And then a black belt yelled at me for landing wrong.

Yeah. Never go back there. That is a very unsafe way to approach any martial art. Especially one that involves falling.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 9, 2013

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Kekekela posted:

Wrap your belt around your face and take a photo of it. Sit with me in the halls of the OP, where the brave live forever.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kekekela posted:

Congrats man!!! I've been a 4 stripe white belt in BJJ for about 4 years now. Just haven't had the time to devote to it between work, life, and Judo. But one of these days I'd like to be able to take that step.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Smoking Crow posted:

It is most certainly not. I spent almost my entire first Judo lesson learning how to fall and roll. The instructor sectioned off a couple of mats for me and another newbie, and an assistant instructor helped us learn the basics while everyone else was doing their thing.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 9, 2013

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Lost a decision, 29-28, 29-28 and 30-27 (drat Frenchman BF judge didn't think I did enough, hahaa) but holy poo poo did I have fun. The scarf anchored the helmet so that wasn't a problem. 3 minute rounds was a bit of a surprise and I stopped attacking in the last round because "I was tired wahh wahh" boohoo. I should've just kept throwing though, it's not like you need to be even close to 100% to throw punches and everytime I did I also scored :argh:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Even the most irreverent non traditonal clubs I've trained at still teach people to fall. For at least a few classes before throwing them.

What was the name of the club and who were the teachers, if you don't mind sharing.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

What's the name of this move that Dexter uses on Doakes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx7fX0c5pMM&t=368s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Mr Interweb posted:

What's the name of this move that Dexter uses on Doakes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx7fX0c5pMM&t=368s

Oh yeah, I remember that one, it caught my eye too when I watched the episode. I'm pretty sure it's not a real move, it's just something they thought would look cool. The body mechanics look completely nonsensical to me.

I mean, if you want a name for it then it's a standing armbar, but Dexter has zero leverage the way he's doing it. And I don't know what's going on with his left hand, is that supposed to be a choke? That's not a choke.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 9, 2013

• Locked thread