Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

CobiWann posted:

Or is this a case of "you took one castle, now take the second?"

Yep. You need to siege all the holdings. That said, if you're taking on a 1 province count you can often hit 100% war score after just sieging down the first holding. You can also move some of your army back to your province, dismiss them, and then re-raise your levies. This will give you a few more guys, which might just be enough to win the siege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Kainser posted:

Someone on the Paradox forums wants to make an Egalitarian mod. Not everyones cup of tea obviously, but hey, it's not like it will harm anyone. First reply:

Go play the Sims :reject:

That thread got out of control pretty quickly. This is why nerds can't have nice things. :v:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm Dublin, and I assault Leinster to the south. I defeat the army, siege their castle with more men than they, get the "victory" screen once they get down to zero...and then the province takes on a "crosshatch" hue, and there's NINE HUNDRED men inside the castle and I can't maintain the siege?

Is this a bug? Am I messing up somewhere? Or is this a case of "you took one castle, now take the second?"

Most counties have at least 2 holdings, so yeah you took the first one and moved onto the second. Now, typically the first holding will be the hardest to take because it'll be a castle and the others will be towns or churches which are less heavily defended, but either you ran into 2 castles in a row(which I don't think is supposed to happen because you're supposed to have at least one of each holding before you can double up) or you ran into a surprisingly well upgraded church.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The sheer force a moderately successful kingdom can project is disgusting/amazing. It's 1000 AD and the Byzantine Empire has like 500.000 troops.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

CobiWann posted:

I'm Dublin, and I assault Leinster to the south. I defeat the army, siege their castle with more men than they, get the "victory" screen once they get down to zero...and then the province takes on a "crosshatch" hue, and there's NINE HUNDRED men inside the castle and I can't maintain the siege?

Is this a bug? Am I messing up somewhere? Or is this a case of "you took one castle, now take the second?"

You started as Dublin in 1066? If that's the case, you should be in line to inherit Leinster once the ruler there dies (he's your dad and he's old). There's no need to attack.

But yeah, you have to siege multiple holdings in most provinces.

Edit: To tell if you took the castle, click on the county and look at the holdings. If you've successfully sieged a castle, city, etc. the county should have that crosshatching you mentioned and there should be a little shield in the top-middle of the castle's portrait representing your country.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 8, 2013

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Dauntasa posted:

Most counties have at least 2 holdings, so yeah you took the first one and moved onto the second. Now, typically the first holding will be the hardest to take because it'll be a castle and the others will be towns or churches which are less heavily defended, but either you ran into 2 castles in a row(which I don't think is supposed to happen because you're supposed to have at least one of each holding before you can double up) or you ran into a surprisingly well upgraded church.

Cities usually have more men than castles, but they are much quicker to siege as long as you have enough men.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

marktheando posted:

I'm too scared to play the Game of Thrones mod since while there can be no story spoilers in the early scenario, I'd rather locations, families, and crazy magic poo poo that is possible in this universe be revealed to me by the show.

Besides normal CK2 and CK2+ are Game of Thronesy enough already with incest and betrayal and murder.

Yeah, if you are trying to avoid spoilers then skipping Game of Thrones is probably for the best. I believe when certain conditions are met in the game then events are triggered that may not have appeared on the TV show yet. Also, the game over screen for that mod has descriptions of the houses which contain information not revealed by the show.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 8, 2013

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Weird, in my game the Byzantium empire became shaped like a sperm. It's head starts in the Bosphorus and its tail finishes in Denmark :stare:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CobiWann posted:

Also note that the AI doesn't seem to be good about dismissing a mangled army in order to incorporate the new levies. So if you defeat, say, Ormonds army next and leave them with ~100 men on the field, they'll just keep those 100 men there while you can dismiss your army and wait a year for your levy to build back up.

Furthermore, though this may be bad advice, if you really don't have the troops to smash their army AND siege them, you could hire mercenaries just for the initial fight-the mercenaries take all the casualties for in the pitched battle, then you dismiss them and siege the county with your own troops. This would be cheaper than using your own troops in the battle and realizing you now need to hire mercenaries to help you siege.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Furthermore, though this may be bad advice, if you really don't have the troops to smash their army AND siege them, you could hire mercenaries just for the initial fight-the mercenaries take all the casualties for in the pitched battle, then you dismiss them and siege the county with your own troops. This would be cheaper than using your own troops in the battle and realizing you now need to hire mercenaries to help you siege.

Nah you move your troops to safety and use the mercs to assault the holding. Most of them will be killed but it will save you a little time. Nobody is more expendable than mercs you are about to dismiss.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Bit of hilarity. My current King (the Great!) finished conquering Scotland. I have a few de jure claims and places that wont accept vassalization, but I have crowned myself. My heir-daughter was a Cathar heretic with all 7 sins as well as possessed, and the King of Spain did me a favor when he killed her. My heir-granddaughter married standard to some random guy, so I was about to lose the kingdom to her. She was a chaplain who wouldnt even do me the favor of getting excommunicated, and she died mysteriously. Her sister was a chaste courtier who I invited to court. Funnily enough, my entire court (300% intrigue rating) decided to help her down some stairs. So now my good son is my heir, has never rebelled, has 8 kids, is a good guy all around.

Now that I've finished trimming my family tree, I have a question. I have a claim on the Petty Kingdom of Mercia for my grandson (and heir's heir). If I go ahead and conquer it, do I get all provinces inside of it? And if I do, is my grandson still my vassal?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

LowellDND posted:

Now that I've finished trimming my family tree, I have a question. I have a claim on the Petty Kingdom of Mercia for my grandson (and heir's heir). If I go ahead and conquer it, do I get all provinces inside of it? And if I do, is my grandson still my vassal?

If you're a King and he's a dynasty member, then yes.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The reason I bought this game was because I actually wanted to play the GoT mod. Short of waiting for the mod to be updated to support ToG, how feasible would it be to roll back to 1.09, copy CK2 directory elsewhere, and repatch to 1.101 and have two directories, one for GoT and one for vanilla. Would that even work or should I just suck it up and wait.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

DrSunshine posted:

If you're a King and he's a dynasty member, then yes.

Splendid. Time to invade England :black101:

VonWigg
Sep 10, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

The reason I bought this game was because I actually wanted to play the GoT mod. Short of waiting for the mod to be updated to support ToG, how feasible would it be to roll back to 1.09, copy CK2 directory elsewhere, and repatch to 1.101 and have two directories, one for GoT and one for vanilla. Would that even work or should I just suck it up and wait.

If you are on steam, right click ck2 -> properties -> betas , choose 1.09x from the drop-down list. It will patch itself and you can now play GoT mod.

This should be in the OP, if it isnt already.

Edit: I can't read, time to stop playing and go to bed!

VonWigg fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 8, 2013

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

VonWigg posted:

If you are on steam, right click ck2 -> properties -> betas , choose 1.09x from the drop-down list. It will patch itself and you can now play GoT mod.

This should be in the OP, if it isnt already.

Yes I know that. My question was regarding flipping back and forth between GoT mod and vanilla, not how to do it, it was more on what is the easiest way to do so, to avoid having to redownload the patch every time I wanted to change. Although I understand the confusion since it's asked literally every page for the last at least 10 pages or so of the 30 that I've been following since I got the game.

Edit: Clarification.

Brutus Salad
Nov 8, 2009

Best buddies forever! :3:

SeaborneClink posted:

I did this to run Winter King before that got updated, the big issues here are that:
A) You're going to be running all your mods out of the same folder, not a huge deal but it can get a little confusing.
B) There are some issues with what DLC the game picks up from your 1.092 patch basically I wasn't able to get my copy of 1.092 to recognize LoR at all, I think deleting all the old god DLC might help but I haven't tried it myself.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Has anyone experimenting with modding figured out a way to get piety and prestige onto buildings? TOG added a Monthly Piety To Liege attribute that you can attach to things but it seems to only work coming from temple holders and sadly my hope that it might be shortcut and available to you directly if you put it on your own castle buildings seems to have been in vain.

I'm back to working on my EK building submod and it'd be really useful to be able to attach prestige and/or piety gains to buildings, especially when you're talking about things like holding White-Gold Tower and so on.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks really neat!

Unfortunately, looks like neither Better Armies nor VIET currently work with the beta patch. Oh well, I've been playing the game constantly since release, so a break might be for the best. :)

Yeah I can't update Better Armies for the beta patch cause I have the Gamersgate version and we're not cool enough to get beta patches apparently.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SeaborneClink posted:

Yes I know that. My question was regarding flipping back and forth between GoT mod and vanilla, not how to do it, it was more on what is the easiest way to do so, to avoid having to redownload the patch every time I wanted to change. Although I understand the confusion since it's asked literally every page for the last at least 10 pages or so of the 30 that I've been following since I got the game.

Edit: Clarification.

If you want to do that, you're probably best off keeping Steam at 1.09, making a copy of the game directory somewhere, and manually installing the 1.10 patch on top of that.

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Mister Adequate posted:

Has anyone experimenting with modding figured out a way to get piety and prestige onto buildings? TOG added a Monthly Piety To Liege attribute that you can attach to things but it seems to only work coming from temple holders and sadly my hope that it might be shortcut and available to you directly if you put it on your own castle buildings seems to have been in vain.

I'm back to working on my EK building submod and it'd be really useful to be able to attach prestige and/or piety gains to buildings, especially when you're talking about things like holding White-Gold Tower and so on.

Try using monthly_character_prestige/monthly_character_piety. (Unless that's limited to patrician mansion upgrades for some reason.)

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Apulia is not a friendly start ever since Merchant Republics came out. Doesn't help that Muslims don't have decadence wars, either.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Funny story. I conquered the Duchy York without a problem, I have de jure claims and strong claims all over Britain, and Im ready to finish what my father started. I increase power of the crown to high, start my coronation feast... and half the map rebels. I rally the armies, charge into battle... and die in the first battle.

Okay, his son. I increase the power of the crown to absolute, look at the map, and every vassal is at -80 or worse opinion of me. If they gave me a moment I could conquer England, but the entire civilization seems to want to revolt. Any advice?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

LowellDND posted:

Funny story. I conquered the Duchy York without a problem, I have de jure claims and strong claims all over Britain, and Im ready to finish what my father started. I increase power of the crown to high, start my coronation feast... and half the map rebels. I rally the armies, charge into battle... and die in the first battle.

Okay, his son. I increase the power of the crown to absolute, look at the map, and every vassal is at -80 or worse opinion of me. If they gave me a moment I could conquer England, but the entire civilization seems to want to revolt. Any advice?

You're not pacing yourself very well, did you really need the higher crown authority? It's a real killer and the only good reason to get it really high is to institute primogeniture.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Demiurge4 posted:

You're not pacing yourself very well, did you really need the higher crown authority? It's a real killer and the only good reason to get it really high is to institute primogeniture.

I uh... thought it would reduce revolt risk. Is it not optimal going for max?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

LowellDND posted:

I uh... thought it would reduce revolt risk. Is it not optimal going for max?

It pisses off all your vassals and they're very likely to revolt in order to reduce it. Medium is often the optimal because it gives you good levies and vassals can't fight each other over claims.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

Try using monthly_character_prestige/monthly_character_piety. (Unless that's limited to patrician mansion upgrades for some reason.)

Already tried that and it does seem to be mansion-only. Why, I cannot fathom. :psyduck: It does show up on the building popup but you don't actually get the stuff you're supposed to be once it's built.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
So, is the beta patch on steam for 1.101 good?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Demiurge4 posted:

It pisses off all your vassals and they're very likely to revolt in order to reduce it. Medium is often the optimal because it gives you good levies and vassals can't fight each other over claims.

Okay. What is a good spread for the tax/levy laws? I havent touched them. And is it better if the pope appoints bishops, or if I do?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Okay. What is a good spread for the tax/levy laws? I havent touched them. And is it better if the pope appoints bishops, or if I do?

It's better for you to because you can make unwanted sons bishops.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

LowellDND posted:

The optimal laws tend to vary for Castles, Cities, and Temples. Let's go through them real quick (These are all just my opinions, nothing authoritative about it)

Castles tend to have a good amount of soldiers and moreover they tend to be better soldiers. They have low incomes, however because they are so ubiquitous you'll still make significant money taxing them, so try not to let it fall below Low Taxes. I usually go for one of the middling levy options just to keep my vassals from getting too mad but you can push it higher as long as you keep taxes and crown authority reasonable.

Cities are all about the dosh, so I usually pump taxes up to max and drop levies down to nothing. Use the income to build your own holdings up, hire mercs, and pay holy warriors, and the lack of their levies won't hurt you.

Temples usually provide a balance of both, but you want to keep the church sweet for two reasons: First because if a bishop likes you more than the religious head, you get more from him, and vice versa (high taxes don't matter if he hates you and just gives the tithes all to the Pope), and second because you now gain monthly piety from your vassal priests depending on their holdings. Generally keep these at None or Low.

Papal Investiture makes the Pope and your religious boys happy, but there's a major benefit to Free Investiture, which is that you can assign almost any male in your family except your immediate heir to the Bishopric and they'll be omitted from succession. If you've got a lot of kids this can really save your bacon by keeping them out of trouble and stopping the usual assassination shenanigans or civil wars upon your death.

Also remember that in the Cultural Techs you will build up, over time, better relations with your various vassals. By the time you get to like Feudal Vassal Opinions V that's +10 to your relations, which could offset a higher levy law or something.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

However, free investiture is also a pretty good ko get excommunicated, so you have to be careful with it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah this is true, another reason to keep the Big Guy happy is because excommunication is a massive problem that will gently caress you six ways from Sunday. And if the Pope comes to you saying "Yo switch to Papal Investiture bro" then generally you want to just do it and rectify it at a later time.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Man, did CK2+ have a sort of land connection requirement for de jure drift? Because I'm sure I never saw islands becoming part of a different kingdom.

I've seen England become de jure Denmark too many times, you should really need a direct land/sea connection for de jure drift to occur.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Rejected Fate posted:

Man, did CK2+ have a sort of land connection requirement for de jure drift? Because I'm sure I never saw islands becoming part of a different kingdom.

CK2+ did have a land border requirement for de jure drift, yes (which sucks for integrating islands but that's what save game editors are for!)

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
It seems like executing people should make you more feared rather than just disliked. If you execute the leader of a rebellion everyone's first thought is "Wow what a dick, let's rebel!" which doesn't always make sense.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Yeah, crushing a rebellion should actually affect how rebellious your vassals are beyond just giving them a temporary opinion boost. Like, if the King crushes 3 rebellions and has the leaders stripped of their titles and sacrificed to Odin then maybe people shouldn't be so eager to start rebellion number 4.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

In CK2, what does it mean when granting idependence when you can't due to 'Not a de jure whateverreligion vassal'?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I started another new game as a Norse Count of Thormond.
It's all quite boring for the first... three years, I guess. Just a bit of raiding (no ships required if you have a border with the province), infrastructure development and building up the slush fund. After that, though, the pain train named YOU is in gear and bulldozing every Count in your path.

24 years in, I'm now King of Ireland. I just got done subjugating Ivar's son's Scottish holdings and will take the crown of Scotland as soon as my vassals are done beating that one-province-loser up. I'm thinking of consolidating my power base in the British Isles and maybe going for the Holy Sites once my current King is dead, or if Jylland/Sweden have a bit of a meltdown.

Also, I just had a daughter come of age with a Diplomacy stat of 25 and no genetic traits. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Fffffuuuuuck, all these sons and grandsons are draining my pockets too much as a Republic. Do I really have to :ese: them all?

Also my Quick/Genius Übermenschen couples don't pop out nearly enough useful kids. Just regular assholes all the time.

• Locked thread