Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I really enjoyed Fialkov's first issue and where this is heading now, and the art was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
Not a bad issue. But did I miss something really obvious - where did all the gems come from? I gotta admit I ain't been paying much attention to the last arc, it was a bit of a mess. And did the gauntlet make it so banner can talk when he's hulk now or did I miss something else? And is Kang a woman in the UU or was it just weird art?

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

krakagar posted:

Not a bad issue. But did I miss something really obvious - where did all the gems come from? I gotta admit I ain't been paying much attention to the last arc, it was a bit of a mess. And did the gauntlet make it so banner can talk when he's hulk now or did I miss something else? And is Kang a woman in the UU or was it just weird art?

The gems first appearance was during Humphries run by way of Thor's son. They were not explained. This issue is the first we've been given some sort of origin/rational for the gems. Not sure either way about Hulk.

Kang appears to be a woman. This would also be the first appearance of Ultimate Kang (I think).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I wonder how they keep getting people to voluntarily work on the Triskelion.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wanderer posted:

Did it blow up again? I imagine that in the ultimate universe the draft is in effect 24/7.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's not like every other building in the Ultimate Universe isn't exploding all the time. The Triskelion is probably one of the least explodable ones, really.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wanderer posted:

The same way they get people on a Helicarrier in 616: ???

Maybe S.H.I.E.L.D Agents get some sort of unreal bonus if they can work a year on the base and survive.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 7, 2013

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

TwoPair posted:

Maybe S.H.I.E.L.D Agents get some sort of unreal bonus if they can survive a year on the base and survive.

It wouldn't shock me if S.H.I.E.L.D. every non-superhero organization in the Marvel Universe would handle bonuses the same way a gameshow gives out a million dollar prize.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

TwoPair posted:

Maybe S.H.I.E.L.D Agents get some sort of unreal bonus if they can work a year on the base and survive.

The weird thing about the Helicarrier is that SHIELD agents are the redshirts of the MU, but their shirts aren't so red that you can't understand why people would sign up for the gig. They're like the fine wine of red shirts; when SHIELD agents are getting carved up by the dozen, poo poo's gotten pretty real!

The Triskelion, on the other hand, only seems to be the setting of meetings and massacres. There's a line in today's Ultimates that's got Cap or Nick saying to Hulk something like "That's another five thousand lives on your head," and it's hard not to read the line as being delivered with a real sense of resignation and irritation. "You just killed another five thousand people, rear end. Nice one."

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

krakagar posted:

And did the gauntlet make it so banner can talk when he's hulk now or did I miss something else?

Hulk's always been able to speak in Ultimate Universe since he's less "green anger monster" and more "Banner's repressed id."

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

And even if he couldn't before, the god-making power gauntlets he's wearing would probably allow it

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I've read a lot of evil Reeds but goddamn if this one isn't the creepiest.

Ha, and I just noticed that he uses the Gauntlet to change into his Children Of Tomorrow costume. What, did they dress him in his old F4 costume in prison just to take the piss?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Wachter posted:

I've read a lot of evil Reeds but goddamn if this one isn't the creepiest.

Ha, and I just noticed that he uses the Gauntlet to change into his Children Of Tomorrow costume. What, did they dress him in his old F4 costume in prison just to take the piss?

Yeah, I'm really digging Ultimates right now. I'm- still a little confused about how Spider-Man fits into this what with its whole... one year forwards.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Sion posted:

Yeah, I'm really digging Ultimates right now. I'm- still a little confused about how Spider-Man fits into this what with its whole... one year forwards.

Ultimates and X-Men aren't tying in with Spider-Man's one year forward.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Genetic Toaster posted:

Well- the fact that we don't see pictures of President Hulk or some poo poo implies that the whole Disassembled thing doesn't have any lasting impact. :(

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sion posted:

Well- the fact that we don't see pictures of President Hulk or some poo poo implies that the whole Disassembled thing doesn't have any lasting impact. :(

Wait...President Hulk? Did someone finally let Jeph Loeb continue his ideas from A+X 1? Yeah, I know it was President Red Hulk.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sion posted:

Did that happen? I mean does that mean at a certain point all the major SH's will be president?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

No, I'm kidding about President Hulk. Just because of the gauntlet I was like 'what's the dumbest poo poo that could possibly happen?'

I think it says a lot about the state of the Ultimates line where that is something people have to stop and ask 'did this happen?'

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sion posted:

No, I'm kidding about President Hulk. Just because of the gauntlet I was like 'what's the dumbest poo poo that could possibly happen?'

I think it says a lot about the state of the Ultimates line where that is something people have to stop and ask 'did this happen?'

Eh hasn't everyone been President in some Marvel comic at one point or another.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

The more I think about it the more I'd love to see President Hulk.

HULK PHILIBUSTER

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sion posted:

The more I think about it the more I'd love to see President Hulk.

HULK PHILIBUSTER

Well you are in luck:
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l265/YaYaTu/paperwork.jpg
Incredible Hulk #85

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
One thing I'm a little confused about: I thought The City was still around, but Reed just got kicked out of it because the City decided his little vendetta was holding back its evolution. But Quicksilver was running through it like it was a ruin. Did I miss something or misread something somewhere?

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

TwoPair posted:

One thing I'm a little confused about : I thought The City was still around, but Reed just got kicked out of it because the City decided his little vendetta was holding back its evolution. But Quicksilver was running through it like it was a ruin. Did I miss something or misread something somewhere?

Parts of it were destroyed when the US launched a bunch of missiles at it.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Genetic Toaster posted:

Eventually they will.

gfanikf posted:

Wait...President Hulk? Did someone finally let Jeph Loeb continue his ideas from A+X 1? Yeah, I know it was President Red Hulk.

Jeph Loen hasn't written an Ultimate Comic title in 2 years.

Sion posted:

Ultimate Captain America was the logical conclusion for the character. The writer who did it just executed it poorly

TwoPair posted:

One thing I'm a little confused about : I thought The City was still around, but Reed just got kicked out of it because the City decided his little vendetta was holding back its evolution. But Quicksilver was running through it like it was a ruin. Did I miss something or misread something somewhere?

I think Fialkolv decided that all of America's nukes hitting the City should have consequences.

Kaleidoscope posted:

The gems first appearance was during Humphries run by way of Thor's son. They were not explained. This issue is the first we've been given some sort of origin/rational for the gems. Not sure either way about Hulk.

Kang appears to be a woman. This would also be the first appearance of Ultimate Kang (I think).

The mind gem was the product of Odin tricking some giant or something.

This is Ultimate Kang's first ever appearance.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

thet0wer posted:

Eventually they will.

Jeph Loen hasn't written an Ultimate Comic title in 2 years.

Ultimate Captain America was the logical conclusion for the character. The writer who did it just executed it poorly

I think Fialkolv decided that all of America's nukes hitting the City should have consequences.

The mind gem was the product of Odin tricking some giant or something.

This is Ultimate Kang's first ever appearance.

All of them? I thought that city was just the size of a European country? That is overkill by a bit I think.

Edit: Also I think it was Eastern Europe, which means writers loving hate the EE.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 9, 2013

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

gfanikf posted:

Eh hasn't everyone been President in some Marvel comic at one point or another.

Captain America in Ultimates and some what ifs, maybe Dr Doom and Tony Stark in some others, though off-screen, and Red Skull in Old Man Logan. Other than that, nope.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Osborne was VP in End of Days.

I just re-read Miles' series and I picked up on stuff I didn't before. 42 seems to play a large role in the book.

Does anyone else think Miles' dad was busted by a superhero and that's why he hates them?

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

Lurdiak posted:

Captain America in Ultimates and some what ifs, maybe Dr Doom and Tony Stark in some others, though off-screen, and Red Skull in Old Man Logan. Other than that, nope.

Doom in 2099.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I just re-read Miles' series and I picked up on stuff I didn't before. 42 seems to play a large role in the book.

Does anyone else think Miles' dad was busted by a superhero and that's why he hates them?

That makes a lot of sense. For maximum dramatic irony I hope it was Spider-Man. Maybe he was Ultimate Big Wheel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

That was so loving dumb.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Thor in Ultimate FF, and in 1602 Purple Man

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I think Reed was a president in some Universe. And he was, indeed, corrupt and evil.

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

All of them? I thought that city was just the size of a European country? That is overkill by a bit I think.

Edit: Also I think it was Eastern Europe, which means writers loving hate the EE.

Yes, they used all of them.

Also, where the City was exactly was never clarified.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

thet0wer posted:

Also, where the City was exactly was never clarified.

It started off in Germany.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It started off in Germany and they claimed it took tens of millions of lives. It was also implied that all of the European defensive forces were wiped out before Shield mustered their first big attack on the city

Of course, I must assume the city had taken all of Europe by then though because if the entire American arsenal of nukes is launched and detonated in the heart of Europe it would all be destroyed by the fallout. Or they were just willing to risk 700 million people to take out Reeds city

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 11, 2013

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Zzulu posted:

It started off in Germany and they claimed it took tens of millions of lives. It was also implied that all of the European defensive forces were wiped out before Shield mustered their first big attack on the city

Of course, I must assume the city had taken all of Europe by then though because if the entire American arsenal of nukes is launched and detonated in the heart of Europe it would all be destroyed by the fallout. Or they were just willing to risk 700 million people to take out Reeds city

Except May and Gwen were shown to be living large in France not long thereafter.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I thought the idea of "all the nukes" was that The City would stop a lot of them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

thet0wer posted:

Except May and Gwen were shown to be living large in France not long thereafter.

That was before.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

So, I got a really weird itch a few months back to read everything in the Ultimate universe from the very beginning through Ultimatum (and also Ultimate X, Doomsday, and anything Spider-Man up through the Death of Spider-Man). Well, I have managed to complete this daunting task. I just finished the whole Death of Spider-Man and Fallout. There isn't a :smith: big enough to describe my feelings on Death of Spider-Man. What a way for the character to go out.

I'm thinking of continuing with the new Spider-Man stuff, and maybe X-Men. I'm pretty sure I'll like Spider-Man, since I really dig Bendis's writing, but I'm not sure about X-Men. I like Kitty Pryde, Iceman, and Human Torch, but I'm not familiar with the creative team they have on that book. Anyone have opinions on that one?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The first issue or two of post-Death of Spider-Man Ultimate Comics: X-Men are kind of okay, but they set up a zillion sub-plots that are barely mentioned again. Then the book gets dragged even further off track with a universe wide event and Kitty, Iceman, and Human Torch actually don't even appear for several issues. The current creative team, which started at issue 13, decided to ignore almost everything the book previously established and dealt with Kitty and Iceman and kind of abandoned Human Torch in NYC.

Personally, I think the book had a huge hole to dig out from and I don't think any writer could do it. So I'm not reading it any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thet0wer
Dec 4, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

That was before.

No it wasn't.

And with regards to X-Men, Spencer was setting up a 50+ run that was cut short at 12 issues because it was "moving too slow", a complaint partially informed by the hate-boner that some people have for Spencer.

• Locked thread