Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

Nothing wrong with the RA flaps. Out of all the ones out there they are probably the best fitting and nicest. The dislike comes from them being called "rally armor" when they are not actually suitable for stage rally.

No they are a joke, full stop, the name has nothing to do with it. They really arent any better or any more durable than the cutting board idea, a couple of good stones and they go bye bye. Good old fashioned rubber flaps are superior in every way. Hell I've seen "Rally Aromr" come apart at a skidpan - it not like a wet pan of concrete should be hard to stand up against.

Everyone should simply save their money and use something that works and lasts. When the Ikea cutting board is a viable and often longer lasting alternative then something is very, very wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Linux Nazi posted:

So I have my new 2013 STI and $500 for gauges, can somebody experienced with adding gauges point me in a good direction? I only care about oil temp, oil pressure, and boost. Something that installs without having to tear my hair out would be nice :(

Defi, srti, and prosport are all good options. As for mounting, you're options are pretty limited, one of the cleanest solutions for us is smyclustermaker's instrument cluster mount, otherwise you're stuck with A pillars and DIY. The ati center pod looks like garbage.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The only sane way to run the wires is through the driver's side fender well.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Ok cool I had someone on another forum point me in the right direction for everything I asked earlier, but I've also had it pointed out to me that it's near impossible to pull apart the tail lamps and put them together without having leaks down the road.

So I ask you guys, since AI has a lot better taste in aesthetics than other forums on the topic, are there tail lamps can I put on a GH (2009 wagon) Impreza that would:

- Look good with the stock headlamps with black-painted bezels.
- Be easily paintable, or come with a black bezel (any finish) already, ideally unsmoked but something lightly smoked is OK too.
- Not look like lovely ebay ricer crap, and be reasonably durable and leak proof.

Cost really isn't an issue I just want it to look good when it's all said and done. Maybe I should just get an extra set of stock tails, grow a pair and cut them open, and then sell her tails if I don't gently caress it up? Or should I just cheap out and vinyl wrap them red?

Drunken Lullabies fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jun 7, 2013

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Thanks for the gauge info guys. Looking into it all now.

I like the Perrin gauges that mount on the steering column, but the seem to come in pairs. I imagine I could get that mount and install one boost and one multipurpose for the oil info.

Either way, a lot of options. If the install seems too overwhelming I will find a shop here in Phoenix that can help.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Good luck. Running wires through the firewall on mine was about as fun as a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Also depending on where you want them / it installed you may not need to tear up the dash. I have a Defi boost gauge that's screwed into my steering column. Pics are in this thread somewhere if you care.

That is the nice thing about the OEM kit, as it replaces a gasket or something with one that has a hole for the wire. Also, if you go through a dealer book labor is so cheap it is basically not worth the hassle.
That said, now they're like 700 bucks, so that is a bit much.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
I've looked up running the wires for gauges and it seems rather straight forward. There's a portal behind the driver's side wheel well that gives pretty easy access to the engine bay.

I'm thinking this cluster with this boost gauge, but I'm not sure if there's another gauge that will do both oil pressure and temp.

e: Here's one. Perfect.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 7, 2013

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm wondering if my throwout bearing is dying. 2005 WRX ~125k miles. It makes a kind of whine/grinding noise when the clutch is fully disengaged, but if I push it in a centimeter or two it stops/becomes much quieter. I can record it tomorrow.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Wrar posted:

I'm wondering if my throwout bearing is dying. 2005 WRX ~125k miles. It makes a kind of whine/grinding noise when the clutch is fully disengaged, but if I push it in a centimeter or two it stops/becomes much quieter. I can record it tomorrow.

Does it sound anything like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8hsAB1O434

Ended up being my throw out bearing. Generally noise disapearing when you let go of the clutch and reapearing when you press it in points to throw out bearing. Probably best to change your clutch while your in there since most of the work would be done.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
I'm really happy my new ST just simply comes with oil temp, oil pressure and boost gauges stock...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Linux Nazi posted:

I've looked up running the wires for gauges and it seems rather straight forward. There's a portal behind the driver's side wheel well that gives pretty easy access to the engine bay.

I'm thinking this cluster with this boost gauge, but I'm not sure if there's another gauge that will do both oil pressure and temp.

I'm surprised multifunction gauges aren't more popular. It seems like most people would rather just have a bunch of single gauges all over the place. I knew I guy with like 6-7 defi gauges all over the place in his sti for example, which I don't even understand how you could monitor on a track. Although if you can set a warning buzzer/light it helps. VEI does some nice dual gauges, and then you end up in digital race dash territory, which depending on what you're looking for can be cheaper than a bunch of gauges.

Anyway, that oil pressure/temp gauge is nice. I think I would rather have water temp than oil though. Oil temp tends to lag behind the water a little bit. I've installed plenty and am trying to remember where I run the wires in the newer Imprezas. There's not a nice grommet in the firewall like on the GD. I think I have gone through with the main wiring harness into the passenger footwell. It's not hard to feed wires across to the driver's side and there are good places to pick up power behind the stereo.

As far as stuff from rallysport direct goes, I have a wholesale account there (among other places) and can generally offer a goon discount.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

jamal posted:

I'm surprised multifunction gauges aren't more popular. It seems like most people would rather just have a bunch of single gauges all over the place. I knew I guy with like 6-7 defi gauges all over the place in his sti for example, which I don't even understand how you could monitor on a track. Although if you can set a warning buzzer/light it helps. VEI does some nice dual gauges, and then you end up in digital race dash territory, which depending on what you're looking for can be cheaper than a bunch of gauges.

Anyway, that oil pressure/temp gauge is nice. I think I would rather have water temp than oil though. Oil temp tends to lag behind the water a little bit. I've installed plenty and am trying to remember where I run the wires in the newer Imprezas. There's not a nice grommet in the firewall like on the GD. I think I have gone through with the main wiring harness into the passenger footwell. It's not hard to feed wires across to the driver's side and there are good places to pick up power behind the stereo.

As far as stuff from rallysport direct goes, I have a wholesale account there (among other places) and can generally offer a goon discount.

I just use and ODBII reader, Torque, and a smart phone, and I get all the gauges I need.

MasterOfDemons
Mar 15, 2003

Custom phone cases, clocks, lighters and much more. Message me for details!

Linux Nazi posted:

Not sure if you wanted to go the pillar route or not, http://www.jcs-pods.com/ makes amazing pillar mounts.

Takes the factory pillar and adds the pods to em, I'm currently running one on my 2008 WRX.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

jamal posted:

From what I've read there's a portal underneath the driver-side dash that feeds into the wheel well. The boost is easy to reach, but the oil galley is under the TMIC and I'm re-thinking installing that gauge myself :(

On the FRS the oil galley was nice and exposed just right of the TB.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Taking the intercooler off is super easy. A little wrestling is required and I could see it being impossible for fat people since you have to lean over the car pretty far/for a longish time.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Linux Nazi posted:

From what I've read there's a portal underneath the driver-side dash that feeds into the wheel well. The boost is easy to reach, but the oil galley is under the TMIC and I'm re-thinking installing that gauge myself :(

On the FRS the oil galley was nice and exposed just right of the TB.

It's really easy to run what you need through the driver's side fender into the footwell, just a few pop clips and you're done.

You might as well pull the stock oil dummy sensor out and replace it with your new one. It'll be as easy as three bolts and pulling the alternator .

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

McSpatula posted:

It's really easy to run what you need through the driver's side fender into the footwell, just a few pop clips and you're done.

You might as well pull the stock oil dummy sensor out and replace it with your new one. It'll be as easy as three bolts and pulling the alternator .

From what I rad it made it sounds as if you could connect only one gauge to the stock sensor under the alternator, so for instance, the pressure gauge. But if you wanted to also do oil temp you had to run that to the galley. Can you actually feed both from that same sensor? Sorry if it's a dumb question :(

daslog posted:

I just use and ODBII reader, Torque, and a smart phone, and I get all the gauges I need.

I was wondering why gauges don't tap into the ECU for reads since you can already read the info from the ODBII port?

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 7, 2013

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
So, I took my forester ('05 XS) in to the mechanic to check the CEL that was on and they did their diagnostic routine and determined the sensor in the charcoal canister is the problem.

From what I can find online, it checks out. The issue is that they want $690 to replace the canister. Is this reasonable pricing for the parts and work? I'm in Alberta, Canada if it helps.

They also isolated the driving noise I've been hearing to the diff. They said I could replace it but it would be expensive and isn't necessary right now. They recommended draining and replacing the diff fluid as a band aid for now. Is that something I could do at home without making the wagon explode?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Odb2 doesn't give you oil pressure or temp. On a Subaru oil pressure is a good thing to keep an eye on. Both top galley plugs are fairly easy to get to (there are actually a lot more than that but you can't really reach them). If you don't want to do that a sandwich adapter above the filter is easy, but costs a little more and lowers the filter a bit, which could be good or bad.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Linux Nazi posted:

I was wondering why gauges don't tap into the ECU for reads since you can already read the info from the ODBII port?

My understanding is that the big limitation is refresh rates of obd2. It's better/faster to get it from the source than to try and get it further down the line from the ECU/etc.

Edit: hell, what he said ^^^^

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
ODB2 sucks for resolution/refresh, so it's usually fine for monitoring things like temperature but terrible for rapidly changing values like boost/oil pressure.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
So I'm undertaking a custom EWG exhaust project.

I bought this EWG muffler from a 1987 Porsche 930:

I'm gonna have some 38mm exhaust tubing run from the EWG to somewhere behind the rear axle and then have the muffler attached with v-band (and some exhaust hangers) so that I can swap it on and off as I see fit. Do you guys see any issue with doing that?

edit: 2005 STi, fp green turbo

Roman Rambo fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 7, 2013

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

DrakeriderCa posted:

So, I took my forester ('05 XS) in to the mechanic to check the CEL that was on and they did their diagnostic routine and determined the sensor in the charcoal canister is the problem.

From what I can find online, it checks out. The issue is that they want $690 to replace the canister. Is this reasonable pricing for the parts and work? I'm in Alberta, Canada if it helps.

They also isolated the driving noise I've been hearing to the diff. They said I could replace it but it would be expensive and isn't necessary right now. They recommended draining and replacing the diff fluid as a band aid for now. Is that something I could do at home without making the wagon explode?

I'm in St. Albert and Seat Safety Switch is in Calgary but I have him on speed dial. Between the two of us, we can help you do half to everything you listed.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

And I'm in Lethbridge for the weekend. Would have been in Calgary next weekend to help my friend Jon and airboy do some tunaing but I have an important bike race.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 7, 2013

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

I'm in St. Albert and Seat Safety Switch is in Calgary but I have him on speed dial. Between the two of us, we can help you do half to everything you listed.

That's rad, thanks man. I'm in Edmonton. Is the charcoal canister something I could do myself or with your help? I'm not super worried about the diff fluid, that should be more straightforward.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It is probably just the wiring to the evap stuff, usually the canister itself is fine for many years.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

DrakeriderCa posted:

That's rad, thanks man. I'm in Edmonton. Is the charcoal canister something I could do myself or with your help? I'm not super worried about the diff fluid, that should be more straightforward.

Absolutely. You could you do them on your own. Send me an email @ my user name provided by Carls Jr. Wait, Google. I have the service manual as a pdf ready.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Linux Nazi posted:

From what I rad it made it sounds as if you could connect only one gauge to the stock sensor under the alternator, so for instance, the pressure gauge. But if you wanted to also do oil temp you had to run that to the galley. Can you actually feed both from that same sensor? Sorry if it's a dumb question :(

Wanted to add that after having used the prosport gauges for a week or so now, I find that they could stand to make the needle brighter. It is sometimes difficult to see (on sunny days). The Defi's don't have this problem.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

Absolutely. You could you do them on your own. Send me an email @ my user name provided by Carls Jr. Wait, Google. I have the service manual as a pdf ready.

Emailed you. Thanks!

blk
Dec 19, 2009
New WRX on Mulholland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWRUVtlxQic

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm sorta double-posting from the stupid questions thread but this might be a better place to ask.
Which turbo Legacies have the problems with swiss cheese pistons or rods? I'm looking with my parents and there is an 05 and 07. I noticed the 05 says it had short block replaced and turbo too. If it makes any difference the 05 is actually an Outback XT.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CharlesM posted:

I'm sorta double-posting from the stupid questions thread but this might be a better place to ask.
Which turbo Legacies have the problems with swiss cheese pistons or rods? I'm looking with my parents and there is an 05 and 07. I noticed the 05 says it had short block replaced and turbo too. If it makes any difference the 05 is actually an Outback XT.

All of them, but 05-06 is somewhat less likely to fail apparently (mine did though). It is pistons, not rods.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I remembered yours was an 05. It's kinda disappointing. I'd like to get a nice car for my mom. I'll look for a N/A model. It's just what they had on the lot of the Subaru dealer though.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Here is a video of me sounding retarded and showing blown out stock trailing arm bushings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5LzmKymI3M

Made this for the retards on my local forum.

The trailing arms are spraybomb'd white because of welding from being boxed in. Spraybomb'd with whatever was on the shelf.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
While I was at a autox today a friend of mine was having fun on some backroads today and decided to go through some big puddles. He very badly misjudged the depth of the puddles.

Edit: added a picture

G-Mach fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 9, 2013

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
:stare:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I just talked to him and water got up to the shifter and there is video of the whole thing. The video is incredible.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Please let me know if he's going to end up parting that out, I have a couple pieces here and there I need for my non-amphibious gc8.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

G-Mach posted:

I just talked to him and water got up to the shifter and there is video of the whole thing. The video is incredible.

You're going to need to give us all a link to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Soarer posted:

You're going to need to give us all a link to that.

It's mobile phone video so quality isn't going to be the greatest. I just got it from him. I'll upload it to my youtube shortly.

I'm not going to give him to much poo poo about it, since I did this to my Durango last weekend.

:negative: