Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

stab posted:

I never noticed it or heard of it and I work a street away from it fwiw. buuutttt its around an anglo institution that was known to cater to the elite, the bourgeoisie and the writers so again it might have definetely been something that caught the authors eyes...

Both of the National Lampoon authors were from Canada and at least one of them (Sean Kelly) was from Montreal. I can't find where they went to school but National Lampoon was founded by Harvard students, and Preiss also went to an Ivy League school. This is really just speculation but they could have had elite connections, and all of them are Anglo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

stab posted:

also crazy thing I just noticed (can google maps confirm?) but there looks to be four ridges near the top of the dudes hat. can those ridges not be a mountain, but actually the outline of "le monstre" (its the wooden rollercoaster at La Ronde) and is still there to this day (and its an awesome coaster too!

Wow, dude, it doesn't even have to be a literal outline of Le Monstre's silhouette! That park has multiple roller coasters, so the roller coaster silhouette on that side of his hat is probably just be there as a hint that that side of the analogous island has an amusement park on it! Whether or not that's a literal outline of a roller coaster, I totally buy that it's a suggestion of a roller coaster. I feel like you guys are getting super close. I'm not sure if I buy all of the verse hints Merlot Brougham matched up to Place des Nations, but it definitely fits these lines:

Here is a sovereign people Quebecois, duh!
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night! Place des Nations, a large, outdoor structure designed for night-time events!

I know that Quebec isn't literally sovereign, but I mean, they're independent enough to have an actual sovereignty movement. It's a reasonable description of French Canadians.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Le Monstre wasn't built until 85.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
MONTREAL

CronoGamer posted:

I definitely agree with the hands possibly being the CA from the sculpture. It's been tough to try and figure out what the weird pose of the fingers is (I've even gone as far as recreating the pose of the fingers with my own hands to try and see what it looked like in real life... that gnome has creepy-long fingers, btw), and although the C and A don't really JUMP out at you, I can definitely see it. I'm not really seeing it as far as the nose goes though.

This leaves me optimistic that I'm just not seeing pictures of the sculpture from the correct angle.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=1c9f8bfd539a28a797510e28e09566a2

Also, notice the mouthlines, and the teardrop segment on the base of the sculpture and the way it tapers toward the top. I posted a shabby comparison earlier, but again I think a view from a different angle may produce better results.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 9, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

MassaShowtime posted:

yup, youre right. google map if we can see mount royal from any of the four directions?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ohnorobot posted:

I talked to someone who knows land surveying, he said a good, non invasive way to find something underground without digging or dragging in some kind of sonar, you build a probe: just a long thin "T" shaped length of metal that you shove into the ground till you hit something solid.

This is pretty much exactly what I was already planning to do.

The question is where do you get the metal?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This is pretty much exactly what I was already planning to do.

The question is where do you get the metal?

You can get lengths of metal rod at home depot.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

MassaShowtime posted:

In 1982, there were two functional roller coasters at La Ronde:

Les Montagnes Russes - An old steel roller coaster that was torn down to make room for Le Monstre (it operated from 1968 to 1984).

Super Manège - A relatively modern steel roller coaster that opened in 1981 (it's still operational).

As I said, I don't think it needs to be a silhouette of a specific roller coaster. I think this guy nailed it just by calling that it looks like a silhouette of a roller coaster on the side of the gnome dude's floppy hat that corresponds to the location of the La Ronde amusement park. I mean honestly, this debate is kind of academic anyway. The cask isn't buried next to a roller coaster or a mountain. It looks like these guys are zeroing in on their target at Place des Nations. Whatever the wrinkle in the hat represents is probably just meant to reassure you that you're on the right island.

Bard
May 18, 2007
A little of this, a little of that...
Charleston / Cask 2

I've only been to Charleston a couple of times, but aren't there lots of statues of lions on the steps of important buildings?

Also the manacled fairy to me, and the lines about "fair remuneration" suggest something to do with the slave exchange. Isn't there a tourist spot marking a former slave marketplace?

If this thread gets enough traction, I think you might do well to make a separate thread for each cask, to make it easier to keep track of the one you're most interested in.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

MassaShowtime posted:

You can get lengths of metal rod at home depot.

Or if you want to order online, McMaster-Carr or Online Metal Store are pretty good. :)

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=18006&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1277&top_cat=60
e: Actually, shipping will probably eat any savings there unless you buy a lot. Home Depot has what you need. I'm used to ordering this stuff in big quantities for lab work :haw:

This thread is fantastic reading, by the way.

Frinkahedron fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 9, 2013

Autumn2May
Apr 5, 2010

NYC

I skimmed the thread looking through the NYC posts and I have a suggestion that I don't think was mentioned yet. What if the grey giant is the "great gray bridge" from the book The Little Red Lighthouse. For those of you unfamiliar with the book, it's the story of Jeffrey’s Hook lighthouse and the building of the George Washington Bridge over it. I took a look at Google maps and the arches on the top and bottom of the bridge match the arch in the pic. The river would be the water and on the lighthouse side of the river there is a large section of tennis courts that could be the rectangle in the bottom left panel (though I'm not sure how old they are). You would hear cars nearby and in the summer, since you're in/near woods, you would hear a "whirring sound" being made by cicadas.

I know there is an old fort nearby, but I'm not sure about statues or Native American settlements. Also the sign might refer to one of the signs on the bridge? But I'm not sure what signs are on the bridge, as I haven't been through the area in a long time.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Bard posted:

Charleston / Cask 2

I've only been to Charleston a couple of times, but aren't there lots of statues of lions on the steps of important buildings?

Also the manacled fairy to me, and the lines about "fair remuneration" suggest something to do with the slave exchange. Isn't there a tourist spot marking a former slave marketplace?

If this thread gets enough traction, I think you might do well to make a separate thread for each cask, to make it easier to keep track of the one you're most interested in.

There is Slave Mart Museum, which is in an old slave mart building. Not sure if it was a museum when this book was written or not.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TotalHell posted:

There is Slave Mart Museum, which is in an old slave mart building. Not sure if it was a museum when this book was written or not.

It's been a museum for forever but I think it was closed during most of the 80's (could be wrong). There's not really a park nearby or anywhere that's an obvious place to bury stuff.

My bet is that it's near the "white stone" with the 3 and the inverted 2 in Fort Moultrie.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's been a museum for forever but I think it was closed during most of the 80's (could be wrong). There's not really a park nearby or anywhere that's an obvious place to bury stuff.

My bet is that it's near the "white stone" with the 3 and the inverted 2 in Fort Moultrie.

You might be able to speak to this: I was just reading an article that mentioned the Battery area has a bit of a lion theme going on, with lion statues, lion heads covering earthquake bolts, and lion faces in iron fences. Do you know if this is the case? Might be a big clue.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Autumn2May posted:

NYC

I skimmed the thread looking through the NYC posts and I have a suggestion that I don't think was mentioned yet. What if the grey giant is the "great gray bridge" from the book The Little Red Lighthouse. For those of you unfamiliar with the book, it's the story of Jeffrey’s Hook lighthouse and the building of the George Washington Bridge over it. I took a look at Google maps and the arches on the top and bottom of the bridge match the arch in the pic. The river would be the water and on the lighthouse side of the river there is a large section of tennis courts that could be the rectangle in the bottom left panel (though I'm not sure how old they are). You would hear cars nearby and in the summer, since you're in/near woods, you would hear a "whirring sound" being made by cicadas.

I know there is an old fort nearby, but I'm not sure about statues or Native American settlements. Also the sign might refer to one of the signs on the bridge? But I'm not sure what signs are on the bridge, as I haven't been through the area in a long time.

I suggested that very thing last page, along with some possibilities for "Indies native" and "man of Hard word". I had considered cicadas as a possibility for the whirring sound - also perhaps air conditioners.

Great minds think alike. :hfive:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TotalHell posted:

You might be able to speak to this: I was just reading an article that mentioned the Battery area has a bit of a lion theme going on, with lion statues, lion heads covering earthquake bolts, and lion faces in iron fences. Do you know if this is the case? Might be a big clue.

Eh, sortof. It's probably worth having someone wander around downtown with a camera and photograph anything they see that's vaguely lion shaped. There are a few houses etc. that have lion statues but I'm not sure anything that's coherent enough to be an obvious clue.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

justsomedude posted:

NEW ORLEANS

Okay, here is an illustration of what I am saying. The cask would be buried in one of the four subdivided lawn quadrants within the outer sidewalk ring. I pointed to one of them in your photo, but of course, I'm not sure which of the four it is! The way you would determine it, if my hunch is correct, is by standing at the base of the flagpole, facing in the general direction of Preservation Hall (I'm aware that you can't see it from there), and choosing the lawn quadrant on your right (or 3 o'clock). That is exactly where the second-hand is pointing in the image! Each of those lawn quadrants is a literal "giant step" away from the "giant pole!"

If those sidewalks looked about like that in 1982, that is where that fuckin' cask is buried! The signs are right! Every clue is explained! I'm a crazy person!

Haha, so when I wrote all of this stuff, I didn't realize you found that flag pole in Audubon Park instead of Louis Armstrong Park, so now I feel a little bit less confident in my dig instructions. Preservation Hall is miles away from Audubon Park, whereas I'd been thinking blocks (because I was still thinking about Louis Armstrong Park). I see some interesting theories connecting Verse 7 to Audubon Park, but what about the image? What's with the weird mask that looks somewhat like the statue of Louis Armstrong in Louis Armstrong Park? What's with the fact that the weird hand holding the mask, taken together with the mask, looks like a rough map of parts of Louis Armstrong Park, maybe? What's with that whole crazy part of the image?

Basically, I felt like all of the stars were aligned when I thought that flag pole was at Louis Armstrong Park, but now I feel like this is just another theory that makes some of the pieces fit while leaves a bunch of others dangling. So take my dig map with a grain of salt, I guess.

Chilled Cactus fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 9, 2013

Autumn2May
Apr 5, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

I suggested that very thing last page, along with some possibilities for "Indies native" and "man of Hard word". I had considered cicadas as a possibility for the whirring sound - also perhaps air conditioners.

Great minds think alike. :hfive:

Oops missed your post, I must have been skimming too fast. Every time I cross the bridge I think of that book, so the bridge was the first thing I thought of when I saw grey giant linked with NYC. Still need to find more clues, but you're right, I think this has possibilities. :)

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eh, sortof. It's probably worth having someone wander around downtown with a camera and photograph anything they see that's vaguely lion shaped. There are a few houses etc. that have lion statues but I'm not sure anything that's coherent enough to be an obvious clue.

There's a fairly thorough Charleston walking tour online with pictures that offers lots of history and details about downtown. It also mentions lion heads on the First Bank of the Carolinas or whatever the building is called. Basically trying to find any lions I can at this point.

Guuse
May 11, 2009
Montreal

Merlot Brougham posted:

Cask 9 - Montreal, Verse 2

I have little more on the Place des nations and verse 2. I think it generally fits into the spirit of using the image to get you to the general location and the verse to guide you in specifically.

I think the legeater is the direct reference to Montreal, just as the outline of the state of Ohio for the Cleveland cask. Knowing that, we can begin to make sense of the other imagery that points us toward the 67 Expo. I'm sold on his hat being an outline of St. Helen's Island, especially after looking at some of the official maps printed for the Expo. The island has changed throughout the years, but you can even start matching up some of the distinct bumps on the right side of his hat to St Helen's Island. I imagine they printed a shitload of maps for the Expo, and it's not a stretch that the author would have used official Expo material

On the Western end of the island, you have the Calder sculpture, the lake, and the Place des nations. If you follow by matching locations with the image you get:

The legeater - A clue to get us to Montreal.
The 67 - a clue that the cask is in Montreal in an area related to the expo.
The checkerboard - Racing reference to the course on Notre Dame Island, which was also an Expo island. (Has the outline of the course changed over the years?)
The Hat - St. Helen's Island, an Expo island.
Netherlands Theme - The Netherlands pavilion.
Hands and nose - Calder's initials and the sculpture.
The neck outline - Swan Lake on St. Helen Island.
The "stairs" blow his neckline - Place des nations pavillion
The Runes - The logo for the 67 Montreal Expo, which are in the design at the Place des nations.

Putting these on the map, you get:

At the place where jewels abound - The place where the cask is has...
Fifteen rows down to the ground - 15 wide rows from top to ground
In the middle of twenty-one - 21 stairs on each side of the rows
From end to end - The length of the grandstand
Only three stand watch - Three sets of stands
As the sound of friends - Expo logo represents "Friendship Around the world" according to the official guidebook
Fills the afternoon hours - Around the world
Here is a sovereign people - Place des nations
Who build palaces to shelter - The awnings at the Place des nations?
Their heads for a night! - The logos are people, their heads pointing the direction?
Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
- The expo logo is made up of the earliest known drawings of a human, interlocked, and then duplicated in a circle
Near this site. - Near the Expo logo

The Place des nations:

I've been working on a similar theory today with a neat twist on the "sovereign people" bit.

At the place where jewels abound - The place where the cask is has...
Fifteen rows down to the ground - 15 wide rows from top to ground
In the middle of twenty-one - 21 stairs on each side of the rows

This really seems like it has to be the starting point! I did a rough count of the middle rows and I got 12 -- half of 21 rounded up -- but it wasn't a good photo and I may have miscounted. I think you're spot on, though!

From end to end

I actually took this to mean going to the other end of the Place du Nations.

Only three stand watch - Three sets of stands

I was thinking that from SE part of the stadium you could see Man if it was where we thought it was in 1982. It would be cool if you could, as that would tie it in even closer to the solution and give the fingers in the picture some importance. Aside from the "CA" theory I don't recall much discussion about them. Honestly, though, your solution seems better than mine!

As the sound of friends - Expo logo represents "Friendship Around the world" according to the official guidebook
Fills the afternoon hours - Around the world

Yay! Everyone is getting along! Enemies become friends, blah blah blah. Wouldn't it be neat if there was a little sliver of contrast to this?

Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!

This could just refer to all the assorted countries building their pavilions. And I didn't even think about the Quebecois. Maybe it's just me, but when I first read this it brought to mind Indians (native Canadians?) setting up tepees. The "heads for a night" line would seem to indicate a temporary structure that they might pick up and move on with. So I went around the Internet looking and, sure enough, there WAS an indigenous-people-of-Canada exhibit at Expo 67!

It's 414 on the Expo '67 map on Ile Notre-Dame:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Plan_souvenir_officiel_Expo_67_%28recompos%C3%A9%29.jpg

A gator shooting lightning!

It probably isn't important to the solution, but after reading about them I think I need to point out how :metal: they were about their pavilion. :black101:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indians_of_Canada_Pavilion

a sovereign people posted:

The Indians of Canada Pavilion was a pavilion at the 1967 International and Universal Exposition in Montreal, Canada.

The exhibits of the temporary world's fair structure presented a somewhat different message than what the Canadian government had hoped, emphasizing the First Nations' point of view. However, the Aboriginal peoples who were consulted insisted on the importance of collaborating with Aboriginal artists such as Alex Janvier, and Norval Morriseau to express their ideology of what it meant to be an Indian in Canada. Visitors were greeted with the provocative messages:

"You have stolen our native land, our culture, our soul..."

and then passed by a series of images and artifacts accompanied by statements such as:

"An Indian child begins school by learning a foreign tongue."

"Dick and Jane in the storybook are strangers to an Indian boy."

"The sun and the moon mark passing time in the Indian home. At school, minutes are important and we jump to the beat."

The tone of the exhibit caught organizers off guard when they first viewed it mere days before the scheduled opening. Talk of last minute changes were scuttled, however, when a local newspaper journalist present at the preview wrote a column describing the content.

The Queen of Canada, with ashen face, cut her visit to the pavilion short upon realizing the direction the content was taking.

Ironically, the Canadian government received accolades for supporting this approach but it marked a turning point in the struggle to be heard by Canada's First Nations People.

The important thing to take away from this is that part of their exhibit still stands. Their totem pole is still over on Ile Notre-Dame, and I think that it might be viewable from the south-east of the Place du Nations.
Third from the bottom is very :ohdear:

Lookit dat nose!

:smugnose:

The "pointers" are directing further into the flower garden. Were someone to follow, maybe they'd run in to:

Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting

Near this site.

It might just be a carving or some decorative piece on a bench. Or are footpaths named? It would probably be worthwhile for some Montreal goon who has the time to go over and get a brochure for the Floralies Gardens at Parc du Jean-Drapeau. It would be amazing if we solved this with the Internet, but the clues were pretty clearly meant for someone to discern with the power of the naked eye.

The Floralies Gardens would tie in nicely with the prominent flower on the puzzle-picture! Are we really sure the the Netherlands are the country associated with Montreal? Because the nations that have their own sections of the garden are Canada, USA, France, England, Mexico, Belgium and Italy.

Here is the where I think the totem is:

In hindsight I realize what a terrible idea it is to use dark-red to label stuff.

Here's a larger picture tying in the George Stephens House and Habitat 67. Note how drawing a line between the GSH and the north end of H67 point roughly to the totem, and GSH and the south end point to the finish line of the race track on Ile Notre-Dame (the checkered flag). Maybe the arc is meant to define an area that we're supposed to search in south-east of the totem?

Here are some pictures of the shore of the lake on Ile Notre-Dame. They might match parts of the "folds" on the right side of the puzzle-picture hat:

A request: Would someone please take the square with the "legeater" and superimpose it with the "Golden Square Mile" in Montreal to see where the hoof points to? I tried learning Gimp this afternoon to do it but failed miserably.

The picture:

A picture of Montreal including the where the corners of the bottom of the square should match:

if wishes were knishes
Mar 5, 2006

Hi I'm Buddy-dot-gif
Milwaukee

Has anybody pointed out this coastline? It's way south of where we're looking, but it's a dang close match.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Guuse posted:

This really seems like it has to be the starting point! I did a rough count of the middle rows and I got 12 -- half of 21 rounded up -- but it wasn't a good photo and I may have miscounted. I think you're spot on, though!

Actually, I think he found the end point, not the starting point. That Verse reads like it's giving clues in reverse. It starts with a really specific place to dig, then gives clues about the nearby landmarks. Crazy stairs-counting is something that would come at the very end of your journey, when trying to select a specific place to dig.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

stab posted:

the race course hasnt changed a bit.

also crazy thing I just noticed (can google maps confirm?) but there looks to be four ridges near the top of the dudes hat. can those ridges not be a mountain, but actually the outline of "le monstre" (its the wooden rollercoaster at La Ronde) and is still there to this day (and its an awesome coaster too! :) )

edit: cause if that theory works; another thing to transpose but if we use the dudes head as a map will give us compass bearings, just like that awesome theory for new orleans on this page (if I were a N.O goon id be running there imo)

I went back and looked at the rune list I provided earlier in the thread over what I believe are runes in the goblins patch. I see the symbol on the red, where it looks like to men arms raised in a v? well, guess what? That's a rune too.

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U16A0.pdf

What it means, again I have no idea. I just know that there are so many "different" languages (is that what we call them?) for runes. After looking through a lot, this was the only one that both showed the P, and the Upside reversed L. This list also shows that little "man" rune too.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

CronoGamer posted:

I like what you have so far with St. Helen's Island and definitely find it intriguing. But I think you're in error here in this picture. Look again at the sigil, specifically at the P part of it. The P you're pulling from the Expo logo is different from the P on the gnome's badge. His P is like a backwards 4, with the angle on the right being like 45 degrees. Yours looks much more like a P and the angle is (roughly) twice as large. I had thought I'd seen the rune-shapes in a few other places around Montreal but you have to be careful on seeing it correctly.

I'm also not sure I agree with the legeater being a general symbol of Montreal. How famous could it be? I think the general-outline map of Ohio, or the silhouette of the tower/use of the Chicago water tower in the windmill are certainly examples of well-known established landmarks being used for general location, but the legeater isn't the kind of thing someone could recognize and go "hey, it's Montreal!", is it?

Since I started the rune thing, this is what I'm thinking about it. I don't think the "p" needs to match the expo logo or any of that. Both the P and the upside down reversed L are letters....which come out to W, T. NOW, does that mean anything? I have not a clue. But now that you see what looks like a person in the Red symbol stick thingy, well that too is a rune. It's a specific rune that is also the same kind I found the other two from. (turns out there's many different "languages" of runes). These are the only 3 that are in the same kind of language. Meaning in some languages they'd have the p, but not the other and vice versa. This is the only one I found that has all 3 of them.

So, I think the runes stand for something else, with a W, and a T. I just don't know what.

And the new rune I'm really not sure about :
ᛘ RUNIC LETTER LONG-BRANCH-MADR M
ᛐ RUNIC LETTER SHORT-TWIG-TYR T
ᚹ RUNIC LETTER WUNJO WYNN W

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U16A0.pdf

Maybe something, maybe not. Just putting it out there.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Unicode was developed in 1991.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

MassaShowtime posted:

Unicode was developed in 1991.

Runes were around long before the 1980s.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Of course they were but that particular language set with all three symbols wasn't.

I think the runes may simply be a marker in the end.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

slipfish posted:

Milwaukee

Has anybody pointed out this coastline? It's way south of where we're looking, but it's a dang close match.

Actually, I did see that and I grew up wandering around seminary woods *ahem* after hours (mid 90s). There are some things in there but, it is a private forest and I dismissed it because I don't recall anything fitting the poem in that area and I don't think he would traverse a private park and graveyard to bury a cask.

That said, it's worth a look. You won't find me busting in there to dig though. I'm too old to run away from priests now.
edit: it's viewable by the public but, still private property.

In other news, I did find this today and like an idiot I didn't take a picture (pic not mine and only one I found on Internet):

I passed RIGHT BY IT when I did my trek along Lincoln Memorial last week and missed it entirely because I was focused on looking for birch trees in the tree line and then wandered over to the flag pole.

Still can't see how it fits yet, it is pretty much the only "compass" I have found and the building in the background is Villa Terrace.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 9, 2013

Guuse
May 11, 2009

justsomedude posted:

Actually, I think he found the end point, not the starting point. That Verse reads like it's giving clues in reverse. It starts with a really specific place to dig, then gives clues about the nearby landmarks. Crazy stairs-counting is something that would come at the very end of your journey, when trying to select a specific place to dig.

I take the overall assortment of clues to mean that with Montreal we should be looking to the 1967 Expo. Place du Nations is the centerpiece of that. The fact that the first few lines of Verse 2 reinforce Place du Nations as the starting point of this quest is a plus, not a minus.

If anything, the fact that the "legeater" is maybe the most prominent and most esoteric symbol in the picture is the big faith shaker for the theory that the cask is on the islands. I've tried to bind it in with the narrative by tying it with other things, but as someone posted earlier in this thread, that is the thing that looks most like an endpoint rather than a starting.

e: wrong verse

Guuse fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 9, 2013

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Guuse posted:

If anything, the fact that the "legeater" is maybe the most prominent and most esoteric symbol in the picture is the big faith shaker for the theory that the cask is on the islands. I've tried to bind it in with the narrative by tying it with other things, but as someone posted earlier in this thread, that is the thing that looks most like an endpoint rather than a starting.

I don't think it is a faith shaker in the least. Without the legeater, we'd still be discussing locations in St. Louis. That is an image that definitely gives us Montreal, and I don't think it's anything more than that. The same as when you see Ohio in the Cleveland cask image. At that point, you know it's stupid to look outside of Montreal (or Ohio, respectively) for the cask. It's the key that allows us to dissect the other symbols in the context of the city. Much like the Ohio image let him know he didn't have to research every Greek garden in the country.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I still think its possibly nearby the legeater and as I stated earlier it may have something to do with Dominion/Dorchester square and I have a few more reasons for that aside from the Ice Palaces that used to be built there. I can tie the namesakes meeting to that square as well. Sir John A Macdonald and Wilfred Laurier both have statues in this square that face each other in a sort of stare down as though they are meeting once again. There's also a statue for the Boer War, perhaps linking to the dutch. 67 in the flower could refer to the founding of the Dominion of Canada, not the Expo itself, thus Dominion square.

Oh yeah and during WWII, the British Crown Jewels were held at the Sun Life Building in Montreal, adjacent to the square.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 9, 2013

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

MassaShowtime posted:

I still think its possibly nearby the legeater and as I stated earlier it may have something to do with Dominion/Dorchester square and I have a few more reasons for that aside from the Ice Palaces that used to be built there. I can tie the namesakes meeting to that square as well. Sir John A Macdonald and Wilfred Laurier both have statues in this square that face each other in a sort of stare down as though they are meeting once again. There's also a statue for the Boer War, perhaps linking to the dutch. 67 in the flower could refer to the founding of the Dominion of Canada, not the Expo itself, thus Dominion square.

Oh yeah and during WWII, the British Crown Jewels were held at the Sun Life Building in Montreal, adjacent to the square.

I like the Boer War angle.

And this:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hi nose.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Merlot Brougham posted:

I like the Boer War angle.

And this:

That building was built in the 90's sadly.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

MassaShowtime posted:

That building was built in the 90's sadly.

That was my next question.

By the way, I did work on Montreal and verse 2 before realizing that the "sovereign people" quote in verse 2 was directly related to New Orleans.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jun 9, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

New York

Considering the "Hamilton" sign for the Indies native, I wondered if "him of Hard word in 3 vols" might be Milton. Paradise Lost was in 3 vols and has a couplet about "Hard liberty" (Statue of Liberty).

Free, and to none accountable, preferring
Hard liberty before the easie yoke

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Merlot Brougham posted:

I don't think it is a faith shaker in the least. Without the legeater, we'd still be discussing locations in St. Louis. That is an image that definitely gives us Montreal, and I don't think it's anything more than that. The same as when you see Ohio in the Cleveland cask image. At that point, you know it's stupid to look outside of Montreal (or Ohio, respectively) for the cask. It's the key that allows us to dissect the other symbols in the context of the city. Much like the Ohio image let him know he didn't have to research every Greek garden in the country.

I'm not arguing against Montreal being one of the subjects of this treasure hunt. There are more general clues that point to it. For instance, fanpantstic posted this picture earlier showing the Lawrence river matching the line of the inner shirt collar before breaking away at the islands that we're talking about the cask being located:

The legeater doesn't seem like a thing that would draw a reader to Montreal in 1982. It's something that you'd see walking down the street only if you were looking for it. I mean, look at how far removed it is from the rest of the clues that we're discussing:

I apologize again for being poo poo at choosing tag colors. The legeater is at the GSH way at the bottom left of the picture.

I just posted asking a goon with camera and spade to go tromping off through the flower gardens on Ile Notre-Dame from the totem pole I found, so I'm hardy a skeptic of the idea that the cask is on the islands. But the legeater seems like a weird afterthought to me in this analysis. If all the clues we've found prove to be correct, it seems like the puzzle would be solved without involving the legeater at all.

That having been said:

MassaShowtime posted:

Did you read the theory I posted a couple pages back about Verse 7 starting around Dorchester Square/Place du Canada?

edit: My Verse 7 theory is back on page 32... maybe start there and see where you go from the part that I wrote about relating to the John Macdonald statue?

Guuse fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 9, 2013

Nendil
Apr 4, 2005

3D movies are the dumbest fad since pull-ups.
SAN FRANCISCO

Whew... our adventure today was more fruitful in finding where the cask wasn't than where it was. We tried to get pics that would give you guys an idea of the environments so people don't get hung up on individual details. ChickenOfTomorrow and pariahthepoet, please feel free to point out anything I might've missed.

Russian Hill/Ghirardelli Square:
Aside from the "Gh", there is completely nothing up here that resembles any of the clues, nor looks like a place to bury something.

Well, there's a good view of Alcatraz a few steps further from the "Gh" spot.

Bottom of the hill isn't much more promising. There used to be a fountain or something I guess.

Stern Grove:
There are virtually no man-made landmarks here that would be good markers, nor does anything ring a bell.

There's this gateway which leads to a playground. Eh.

Golden Gate Park:
First of all, these lamp posts are ALL over the park. They match the column in the painting better than anything else we saw today.

Combined with the fact that the woman's dress matches the park shape exactly (down to the curved top edge and slightly wider bottom), I'm fairly convinced we're supposed to look in GGP. There are really nice maps of the park all around - here is a full-res photo for your reference, it's much easier to find locations & match with the painting than using Google Maps.

Chinese Pavillion:
We headed here first because I felt that with all the China-related hints, it seems that the location could be Chinese-associated. First thing we saw was this:

We walked up to the gazebo (Golden Gate Pavillion) and climbed the waterfall, but didn't find any other relevant clues. It did lead me to realize that the dragon in the painting isn't even an Asian dragon. :eng99:

Rose Garden:
This is the most world-class rose garden I've ever been to! They have a ton of amazing specimens in full bloom right now. However, there's no place anyone who is not a gardener should be digging.

Oh hay we found it! :haw:

Japanese Tea Garden:
Requires an entrance fee; highly unlikely to let you waltz in with a shovel. Also, every inch of this place is meticulously gardened, and nothing looks familiar either.

Shakespeare Garden:
Okay, this place definitely feels like it has potential. It's very cozy, enclosed and quiet, and full of imagery. The first thing that greets you is a sundial, which, while not matching the exact shape of the column in the painting, is reminiscent of the watch-on-tabletop. (See columns picture above)

If I flip the gate....??? :tinfoil:

There are spheres all over the planters, around 18-20 total.

And here is that window-shaped thing. It is not actually a window - apparently,

quote:

contained in the box, a bust of William Shakespeare resides. There are only two in existence and can be observed with the say-so of park officials.
The plaques to either side are verses from Shakespeare's works that mention plants. 2 are missing.

This stone bench was unique and I really wanted it to match something, but at best it has... a spiral. Not exactly a slam-dunk.

There are a number of other memorial benches, but at least some, if not all, of them were placed during/after the 90's sooo.

Other things that don't ring a bell, but maybe you guys might find it useful.

Full-res images of the Shakespeare quotes. I don't think they fit any clues but in case anyone wants to peruse:
http://i.imgur.com/dVpvWVP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/XhbrIjQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/bIHcPCB.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/MS7GbsQ.jpg

Conclusion:
The cask is extremely likely to be in Golden Gate Park. Shakespeare Garden is the best shot out of the places we visited today, with Chinese Pavillion a distant second. However, we still have no clue how/which verse matches up. According to my notes, this is the current status of the verses:
  • Verse 1 - Houston
  • Verse 2 - Montreal
  • Verse 3 - Boston?
  • Verse 4 - Cleveland (found)
  • Verse 5 - ?
  • Verse 6 - ?
  • Verse 7 - New Orleans
  • Verse 8 - Milwaukee
  • Verse 9 - Miami/St. Augustine?
  • Verse 10 - New York?
  • Verse 11 - Roanoke?
  • Verse 12 - Chicago (found)
So have at it, you people who are good at riddles.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
General + Montreal

I decided to go through the months/flower assignments and the clocks in the images for a second time. This appears to be the easiest part of the puzzle, but it was kind of throwing me off for a while.

code:
CASK  CITY            MONTH   GEM         FLOWER       MONTH FROM
C1  - San Francisco   JUN     pearl       rose         clock
C2  - Charleston      APR     diamond     daisy        clock
C3  - Roanoke         JAN     garnet      carnation    clock
C4  - Cleveland       MAR     aquamarine  daffodil?    triangle
C5  - Chicago         MAY     emerald     lily otv     warts
C6  - St. Augustine   SEP     sapphire    aster        flowers
C7  - New Orleans     DEC     turquoise   narcissus    clock
C8  - Houston         JUL     ruby        larkspur?    columns
C9  - Montreal        OCT     opal        calendula    'X' OR steps
C10 - Milwaukee       FEB     amethyst    primrose     apples
C11 - Boston          AUG     peridot     gladiolus    metal frame?
C12 - NYC             NOV     topaz       chrysanth.   clock
It appears that it's pretty much a rule that one element in the picture must encode the month in an obvious way. This is a really good thing, because it potentially frees us from having to interpret one element per picture. For the Montreal one, my gut feeling is that the 'X' corresponds to the necessary 10 for october. However, if you wish to keep it for incorporation into the Expo67 logo, it is still possible to use the number of steps on the pattern near the collar.

I also think that the metal frame in the Boston map can be explained the same way.

A couple weird things though (why can't anything be straightforward with this treasure hunt):
1) C8 doesn't really have a flower in the picture, unless you squint at the shadows in the foliage. Does this mean the cask is not in a park/garden (where flowers grow)?
2) A daffodil is pretty much the same thing as a narcissus and the flower for C4 either doesn't look like one OR is stylized completely differently from the flower in C7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0
I don't think all these google map overlays will get us anywhere. There may be some things hidden about in the images which have been stumbled upon already, but it won't take cutting edge GPS satellites to solve something created when they didn't exist. The best course of action is to get out near the places and landmarks that are our best leads and analyze the written clues/cross reference the pictures in the field. See where that takes you.

Also I don't think that the 'metal probe' mentioned earlier is going to do anyone any good. This thing was most likely buried at least a foot underground originally, who knows now. Unless you double as the mighty Thor as a day job you're not coming anywhere close. Even if it down poured all night. Even if you could don't buy metal online for god sakes, go to your nearest hardware store and buy a piece of rebar or some emt conduit + a tee.

Nnep fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 9, 2013