Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Devyl posted:

Speaking as a heavy cannabis user, you're a loving dumbass for driving high. As a driver of a motor vehicle, your job is to focus on the road and pay attention to your surroundings. You're driving a 2,000+ lb. death trap at great speed. It doesn't matter if you just finished a joint, a six pack, a tab of LSD, or are busy with some other distraction (like texting or using a laptop, etc.); you're loving stupid for driving under the influence. You need to keep your attention where it counts. No one is perfect, and accidents are sometimes unavoidable. But with your mind altered, you should not drive.

I was sort of following this cop car once. Well, not following it, but he was a car length or so ahead one lane over. He kept swerving strangely as he drove down the road, significantly enough that I noticed because it seemed hazardous to myself. As we got up to a red light, we ended up sitting next to each other waiting for the light to change. Fucker was playing solitaire :commissar: What the christ indeed. Never underestimate people's ability to make fairly terrible decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Mrit posted:

No, if anything will stall reform its whiny babies who complain about the amazing progress that is being made because you can't yet stroll into 7-11 and buy Heroin. This sort of thing needs to move in steps.

You mean like this guy?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/25/the-wire-creator-us-drug-laws

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Mrit posted:

No, if anything will stall reform its whiny babies who complain about the amazing progress that is being made because you can't yet stroll into 7-11 and buy Heroin. This sort of thing needs to move in steps.
Even if weed made everyone into better drivers, it is feared by many people. It is widely believed that not including DUI laws into the last California Marijuana legalization attempt killed the law. If you truly want acceptance, you show the hypocrisy of terrible drug laws by putting legalization with limits out in the public. When the other states see that weed doesn't drive everyone insane/makes lots of tax money, you will see real pressure towards the government.

The primary reason why the California's Prop 19 failed was because they were unwise enough to attempt it during a midterm election- the kind that only the elderly reliably turn out for. Had they waited until 2012 for the Presidential election they would've won it by a landslide.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 7, 2013

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

David Simon posted:

"I want the thing to fall as one complete edifice. If they manage to let a few white middle-class people off the hook, that's very dangerous. If they can find a way for white kids in middle-class suburbia to get high without them going to jail," he continued, "and getting them to think that what they do is a million miles away from black kids taking crack, that is what politicians would do."

If marijuana were exempted from the war on drugs, he insisted, "it'd be another 10 or 40 years of assigning people of colour to this dystopia."

He may not be wrong, though. I personally disagree, because mj laws still disproportionately harm hispanic and black people and I think legalizing weed is a positive step, but partial legalization could easily have the effect he is describing.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

800peepee51doodoo posted:

He may not be wrong, though. I personally disagree, because mj laws still disproportionately harm hispanic and black people and I think legalizing weed is a positive step, but partial legalization could easily have the effect he is describing.

Yeah, I can definitely see where he's coming from and I think there's a chance he could be totally right. But in the end I'm not able to take the stance of telling minorities busted on possession charges 'Sorry we kept the pot ban on the books, but we really want an all or nothing approach for the benefit of the whole movement.' I just have to hope that marijuana legalization helps the wider population realize that the way we're dealing with the whole war on drugs is crazy. I mean clean needle exchanges and the like used to be looked at as crazy and illegal by the general population and that stance has evolved some what, so I have to feel like there's hope to change those attitudes outside of using white suburbanites getting busted for pot to fuel a wider end to the war on drugs.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bad news from Maine. Our state house just voted against a Colorado style legalization bill, 71-67. So close!

Supporters vow to get the measure up for referendum in 2016.

I'm like: What's wrong with 2014? Or would off-Presidential cycles be bad for a legalization bill?

http://www.pressherald.com/maine-house-rejects-bill-to-put-pot-legalization-to-statewide-vote_2013-06-07.html

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

redshirt posted:

Bad news from Maine. Our state house just voted against a Colorado style legalization bill, 71-67. So close!

I'm like: What's wrong with 2014? Or would off-Presidential cycles be bad for a legalization bill?

http://www.pressherald.com/maine-house-rejects-bill-to-put-pot-legalization-to-statewide-vote_2013-06-07.html

Off cycle elections have lower turn out that tends to skew older and thus more conservative. So yeah, popular political wisdom is that Presidential elections would make a successful referendum more likely. Plus long term opinion seems to be slightly in favor of legalization. Waiting for both those extra boost helps ensure they don't blow a lot of time and money on a doomed campaign like the recent one in California.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

redshirt posted:

Or would off-Presidential cycles be bad for a legalization bill?
Yes. Remember, Prop 19 failed in California in 2010

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

redshirt posted:

4 Votes. 4 loving votes...

The good news is, 2016 would appear to be a sure bet. And once everyone sees how much Colorado and Washington are about to start raking in, states will be lining up to join in.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

bawfuls posted:

Yes. Remember, Prop 19 failed in California in 2010

Yeah, you need to have the turn out of a presidential election to outvote the pot growers trying to keep weed illegal like they did in california.

Also, that original link posted by redshirt said that the Maine house was voting to put a referendum on the ballot but other sources are saying it was actual legislation? This says referendum vote: http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/03/news/state/sponsor-of-bill-says-maine-will-legalize-marijuana-one-way-or-another/

e: the "other sources" I saw were loving Reason magazine so yeah, it was a bill to put legalization to a popular vote

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah, you need to have the turn out of a presidential election to outvote the pot growers trying to keep weed illegal like they did in california.

Also, that original link posted by redshirt said that the Maine house was voting to put a referendum on the ballot but other sources are saying it was actual legislation? This says referendum vote: http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/03/news/state/sponsor-of-bill-says-maine-will-legalize-marijuana-one-way-or-another/

e: the "other sources" I saw were loving Reason magazine so yeah, it was a bill to put legalization to a popular vote

The Maine medical marijuana lobby came out hard against this bill too. How freaking shortsighted!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

redshirt posted:

The Maine medical marijuana lobby came out hard against this bill too. How freaking shortsighted!

Marijuana enthusiasts are not immune to "gently caress you Got Mine" anymore than anyone else (and probably even less so given Ron Paul ).

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

redshirt posted:

How freaking shortsighted!

It's not really, not from their perspective. They're in a protected market that is too illegal for there to be too much competition but not illegal enough to really have to fear consequences. The result is huge piles of easy money. Of course the other result is that thousands of other people end up in prison, but hey, got a break a few of your eggs to make an omelette for me. What's infuriating and ironic is that a lot of the growers I've interacted with want to keep it illegal because its an outsider lifestyle and they can pretend like they're not a part of capitalism. Seriously.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's actually one of the reasons I'm pro-legalization, to ruin the only thing differentiating lifestyle stoners from the mainstream. They ruin it for the rest of us, anyways. I guess they'll have to become Juggalos next.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Radbot posted:

That's actually one of the reasons I'm pro-legalization, to ruin the only thing differentiating lifestyle stoners from the mainstream. They ruin it for the rest of us, anyways. I guess they'll have to become Juggalos next.

They're just pot hipsters. They can safely be ignored with the rest of them.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Radbot posted:

My favorite thing about being a "lifestyle stoner" is being consistently more successful than everyone who refers to me in such a way. My favorite thing about legalization will be flaunting this fact even more than I already do.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

It's not really, not from their perspective. They're in a protected market that is too illegal for there to be too much competition but not illegal enough to really have to fear consequences. The result is huge piles of easy money. Of course the other result is that thousands of other people end up in prison, but hey, got a break a few of your eggs to make an omelette for me. What's infuriating and ironic is that a lot of the growers I've interacted with want to keep it illegal because its an outsider lifestyle and they can pretend like they're not a part of capitalism. Seriously.

This is the problem with government in general. Once some indivdual, or industry, or group get's a Government protected "in" they immediately regressive to hyper-conservative, republican, "gently caress you got mine." Give them an inch and they will take a mile from everyone else.

I don't really know how to discourage this behavior but it causes a lot of problems, War on (some) Drugs besides.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Powercrazy posted:

This is the problem with government in general. Once some indivdual, or industry, or group get's a Government protected "in" they immediately regressive to hyper-conservative, republican, "gently caress you got mine." Give them an inch and they will take a mile from everyone else.

I don't really know how to discourage this behavior but it causes a lot of problems, War on (some) Drugs besides.

That's how capitalism works, it's the whole basis for the concept of private property - exclusionary, protected wealth. The only way to discourage it is to dismantle capitalism.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
If we are going to fight this battle with the weapons of capitalism it would take a legal weed company, likely servicing the entire states of colorado and washington, to start using that money for legislative reform in other states in order to open up more markets, and eventually a washington lobbyist group to get congress to deschedule the whole shebang in order to 'bring jobs into their districts'.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
And ad-targeting school children at 4pm on MTV with pink Justin Beiber cannabis

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

That's how capitalism works, it's the whole basis for the concept of private property - exclusionary, protected wealth. The only way to discourage it is to dismantle capitalism.

Even in a perfect communist state, the same mentality will apply to individual civil servants. Say the person in charge of food-product distribution would hold a significant amount of sway on who got what food. So if he and his buddies always got the vodka, he would fight tooth and nail to prevent anyone else from getting that vodka.

Having a monopoly or large enough influence will breed that undesirable behavior. How do you discourage it? Or to put it simply, how to you deal with the human nature of people being selfish?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Warchicken posted:

My favorite thing about being a "lifestyle stoner" is being consistently more successful than everyone who refers to me in such a way. My favorite thing about legalization will be flaunting this fact even more than I already do.

Yeah, you just come off as really insecure, honestly. You sound like some redditor defending their ASD. I love smoking weed, I used to do it every day (before and after work) until I got a job that required drug testing, and even I know that there's a big difference between people who enjoy weed and the smelly rear end folks who show up in Denver around 4/20. Turns out you can really love something and yet not let it define who you are.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I may have my facts here wrong, but at least in Maine my understanding is the Medical Marijuana folks are operating as non-profits. They're not supposed to be making big money, on purpose. And in states like Mass, they in fact have to pay quite a bit to the state to get certified.

So their opposition to full legalization still strikes me as odd, because one could assume they'd have a leg up in a full legalization market, since they already have an official infrastructure in place.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

redshirt posted:

I may have my facts here wrong, but at least in Maine my understanding is the Medical Marijuana folks are operating as non-profits. They're not supposed to be making big money, on purpose. And in states like Mass, they in fact have to pay quite a bit to the state to get certified.

So their opposition to full legalization still strikes me as odd, because one could assume they'd have a leg up in a full legalization market, since they already have an official infrastructure in place.

"Medical marijuana" is a front for growing and selling dope to whoever wants it with a quasi legal justification. When "Medical Growers" associations are speaking out against legalization, they are speaking on behalf of all of the illegal growers that are using medpot as a cover, which is pretty much all of them. You know those guys that always come screaming out of the woodwork whenever a state wants to pass a medical mj law yelling about medpot being a trojan horse filled with hippie dope growers? They're right. Every time. Even if Maine's dispensaries are supposed to be non-profit, you can make a rock solid bet that they are raking in money on the side. Medical mj laws are the perfect mix of legal and illegal - high markups on product because of the "risk" yet almost no actual risk.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

"Medical marijuana" is a front for growing and selling dope to whoever wants it with a quasi legal justification. When "Medical Growers" associations are speaking out against legalization, they are speaking on behalf of all of the illegal growers that are using medpot as a cover, which is pretty much all of them. You know those guys that always come screaming out of the woodwork whenever a state wants to pass a medical mj law yelling about medpot being a trojan horse filled with hippie dope growers? They're right. Every time. Even if Maine's dispensaries are supposed to be non-profit, you can make a rock solid bet that they are raking in money on the side. Medical mj laws are the perfect mix of legal and illegal - high markups on product because of the "risk" yet almost no actual risk.

Yes! finally someone steps forward with the balls to debunk these hucksters by sharing unsubstantiated opinions about a large class of people they have never met.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's unfortunately true in a lot of cases, though. A great example of this is in northern California, where cannabis quite literally fuels the economy single handedly. It's not uncommon to see ratty looking white dudes that reek of weed paying for expensive new electronics at the Best Buy in Eureka with stacks of hundreds - this is only possible when cannabis is illegal. Medocino and Humboldt Counties were largely against legal weed since the high price of illegal contraband is the only thing that keeps them from being like the rest of rural California.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Real hurthling! posted:

Yes! finally someone steps forward with the balls to debunk these hucksters by sharing unsubstantiated opinions about a large class of people they have never met.

Yes I'm sure that these are some truly saintly people who grow non-profit pot solely for cancer patients and who are also inexplicably opposed to full legalization because

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yes I'm sure that these are some truly saintly people who grow non-profit pot solely for cancer patients and who are also inexplicably opposed to full legalization because

I'll be sure of it as soon as you can prove it with more than your admittedly enthralling sophistry

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

I'll be sure of it as soon as you can prove it with more than your admittedly enthralling sophistry

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/27/washington-marijuana-legalization_n_2198668.html

So yeah, medical marijuana collectives were one of the main forces against legalization in Washington state. Some of it was DUI related, a few made arguments like it wouldn't actually be legal enough somehow, some said taxes would make the price go up even though supply would be increasing dramatically. Of course no one came out and said that they want to keep the price jacked up and keep distribution limited to a handful of people in a group they were a part of, but come on. You don't think there's any profit motive involved with a lot of these people, at least in some part? It's all a coincidence that they pull a 180 on widespread legalization once they get to a place where they can sell legally and no one else can? In Southern California I could walk into a couple dozen clinics in the area and get a prescription no problem. I'm in decent shape, in my mid 20's and my last physical came back completely clean, but is there any chance at all that they would turn me down? I'm all for the use of marijuana to help out medically, but there's no disputing that the whole thing has turned into a cover for tacit legalization. I mean I guess I can't speak for any other state, but if you try to claim it isn't in California you're just being disingenuous.

cafel fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 9, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Radbot posted:

It's unfortunately true in a lot of cases, though. A great example of this is in northern California, where cannabis quite literally fuels the economy single handedly. It's not uncommon to see ratty looking white dudes that reek of weed paying for expensive new electronics at the Best Buy in Eureka with stacks of hundreds - this is only possible when cannabis is illegal. Medocino and Humboldt Counties were largely against legal weed since the high price of illegal contraband is the only thing that keeps them from being like the rest of rural California.

I lived in Arcata for a couple years and this is the truth. Midterm election + growers not wanting to vote themselves out of a paycheck = legal MJ didn't pass in a state with a town named Weed.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

cafel posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/27/washington-marijuana-legalization_n_2198668.html

So yeah, medical marijuana collectives were one of the main forces against legalization in Washington state. Some of it was DUI related, a few made arguments like it wouldn't actually be legal enough somehow, some said taxes would make the price go up even though supply would be increasing dramatically. Of course no one came out and said that they want to keep the price jacked up and keep distribution limited to a handful of people in a group they were a part of, but come on. You don't think there's any profit motive involved with a lot of these people, at least in some part? It's all a coincidence that they pull a 180 on widespread legalization once they get to a place where they can sell legally and no one else can? In Southern California I could walk into a couple dozen clinics in the area and get a prescription no problem. I'm in decent shape, in my mid 20's and my last physical came back completely clean, but is there any chance at all that they would turn me down? I'm all for the use of marijuana to help out medically, but there's no disputing that the whole thing has turned into a cover for tacit legalization. I mean I guess I can't speak for any other state, but if you try to claim it isn't in California you're just being disingenuous.

I think it's different in places where only terminal illnesses qualify for MMJ and the market is smaller/more compassion driven. Places like CA where medical is basically a front for licensed legalized weed is where you have this kind of stuff going on.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Why do people complain about medical weed being a 'front' for legal weed? Do they also complain about the paper bag being a front for public intoxication? Christ, anything that keeps people out of jail is an improvement.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

the black husserl posted:

Why do people complain about medical weed being a 'front' for legal weed? Do they also complain about the paper bag being a front for public intoxication? Christ, anything that keeps people out of jail is an improvement.

Pleasure is bad.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

People are complaining about medical weed campaigning to keep weed illegal.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Miltank posted:

People are complaining about medical weed campaigning to keep weed illegal.

Yeah, if people can get legal medical marijuana as a stopgap to legalization I'm all for it. It's when the people raking in the cash for all these people and then using it to actively and widely campaign to stop any attempt full legalization that I have a problem with it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Barrier's, especially political ones, to legalization are bad. If paperbag distributors were campaigning against repealing prohibition, I'd complain about them too.

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018
I understand the point of established medical marijuana groups and businesses opposing legalization.

That said, I still believe legal medical marijuana is a stepping stone for broader legalization. I guess we'll see over the next decade. If I were to bet, though, I'd predict none of the first 8-10 states that follow CO and WA will go directly from "completely illegal" to having legal recreational sale of marijuana.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

What about a system that keeps people out of jail only when they can pay a couple hundred bucks for their legal weed card, but continues to poo poo on the poor? Because that's what the "medical = effectively legalized" system does. And then it convinces people that they don't need to campaign for real actual legalization that stops things like "I established probable cause when my experienced cop nose detected the odor of marijuana," because hey, they have legal weed.

Legalizing medical marijuana is not a bad thing. There are significant problems with the systems that crop up around the way medical legalization has been handled in places like California (and Washington until recently), though, and it's perfectly reasonable to criticize them.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 9, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Makarov_ posted:

I understand the point of established medical marijuana groups and businesses opposing legalization.

That said, I still believe legal medical marijuana is a stepping stone for broader legalization. I guess we'll see over the next decade. If I were to bet, though, I'd predict none of the first 8-10 states that follow CO and WA will go directly from "completely illegal" to having legal recreational sale of marijuana.

Money is a hell of a thing. I think with CO and WA being pioneers, they're going to cash in on a lot of heightened tourism due to being legal. Once other medical states see this, they'll probably want to rake in some of that sweet sweet tourism money too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Makarov_ posted:

That said, I still believe legal medical marijuana is a stepping stone for broader legalization.

Well, yeah. That was definitely the intent since day one when states were (and still are) passing medical mj laws. Its another one of those things all those angry conservatives said that was absolutely correct but no one actually gave a poo poo about. The funny thing is now that medical mj is in place in a number of states and some growers have found themselves a pretty sweet gig, they don't want it to go any farther because of the possibility of shutting off the easy, tax-free money spigot.

I really doubt the growers will be able to stop legalization. Too many people with real money are chomping at the bit to get involved and as was pointed out upthread full legalization has majority support now. If anyone is going to stop legalization at this point it will be the feds and they don't really seem all that interested at the moment. I think you're right in saying that it will probably go medpot -> legalization at least until it snowballs or *crosses fingers* gets descheduled at the federal level.

• Locked thread