Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Loving the art on that HC. Whats the hype around the book? Anything good? I haven't seen this suggested at all in the thread.
12 single double-sized issues, each illustrated fully by that issue's highlight artist (such as Paul Pope, Tim Sale, Mike Allred...). Sometimes they wrote the stories too, sometimes they brought in help, but it was another great project headed by Mark Chiarello, creator of Batman: Black and White and Wednesday Comics. Here's the wiki page about it.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Noooooo now that everyone can read it the stuff I post on tumblr will be less unique :saddowns:

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

http://www.amazon.com/Promethea-Immateria-Allan-Moore/dp/140123898X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370506414&sr=1-1&keywords=promethea

What the hell, how did I manage to miss this?
The price is high, but cheaper than the absolutes, and the format is interesting to say the least.
Preordered.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Barbe Rouge posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Promethea-Immateria-Allan-Moore/dp/140123898X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370506414&sr=1-1&keywords=promethea

What the hell, how did I manage to miss this?
The price is high, but cheaper than the absolutes, and the format is interesting to say the least.
Preordered.

Ah finally. It was previewed a long time ago but there was no estimate on the release date. Thanks for this one.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

In Stock Trades Media Mail shipments are packaged well, correct? I think I'm done ordering books with Amazon - my Lucifer TPB was thrown in a padded envelope and all 3 of them they sent me had damage.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Yeah IST like vacuum wraps their stuff to stiff cardboard and then packs it into styrofoam. Amazon is loving terrible about packing books. I've had to return virtually everything I've ordered from them in the last year. They shipped me 3 omniboo in a goddamn empty box once.

e: I still have the pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/v4ZIK#NkrZ0, not pictured an Avengers omni that managed to survive the trip.

ShortStack fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 9, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amazon themselves shipped like that? Jesus, no wonder I get so many positive comments about my packaging.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

While IST is clearly better at packaging (and deals if you jump on/cross the $50 barrier) are those of you getting bad Amazon deliveries using Prime? I have Prime and the packaging for most of my books has been pretty decent, with only very minor corner dinging. The only real damaged book I received from them was a Prince Valiant HC that looked like someone had bent it over their knee. I'm curious if there's a difference due to reduced shipping times and reliance on OnTrac for delivery.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

Zachack posted:

While IST is clearly better at packaging (and deals if you jump on/cross the $50 barrier) are those of you getting bad Amazon deliveries using Prime? I have Prime and the packaging for most of my books has been pretty decent, with only very minor corner dinging. The only real damaged book I received from them was a Prince Valiant HC that looked like someone had bent it over their knee. I'm curious if there's a difference due to reduced shipping times and reliance on OnTrac for delivery.

I was going to say, I've got Prime and I've never had a problem with the packaging of books. If it's a book smaller than the box, they usually shrink wrap it to a large piece of cardboard to keep it from bouncing around.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I'm pretty sure those pictures are from before I had Prime but even after I got Prime I've had stuff get shipped all bent and crummy. I've had to swap every copy of Valerian & Laureline I ordered but those are pretty flimsy.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

A lot of my recent prime shipped stuff (books and otherwise) has been in crummy padded envelopes. It's ok in most cases but with books, this is a bad way to ship.

Kinda lovely from a shop that started as an online book store.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I generally bag the book, tape it to an oversized piece of cardboard, tape another piece of cardboard to that creating a sandwhich and then put it in an envelope. For bigger books it's always a box with peanuts or paper to pad it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

RevKrule posted:

A lot of my recent prime shipped stuff (books and otherwise) has been in crummy padded envelopes. It's ok in most cases but with books, this is a bad way to ship.

Kinda lovely from a shop that started as an online book store.

The last TPBs I bought from Amazon Prime (Hawkeye Vol. 1 and The Shade) showed up in padded envelopes that were far too large to provide any protection, and the covers were beaten to hell. I had to return each book TWICE before finally getting copies I could live with, although the ones I settled for still had minor corner damage to the covers.

One even had a new thing -- a sticker that went over the book, from the top of the front cover to the top of the back cover, presumably to keep it from opening (in the flat padded envelope?!). It stuck to the tops of the pages and did not peel off cleanly, leaving horrible sticky residue on BOTH covers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really order many trades, but hardcovers have been packaged nicely - shrink-wrapped to a piece of oversized cardboard in a box with air cushions, if necessary.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
I have Amazon Prime and I've always received trades and textbooks in badly packaged cardboard sandwiches.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Amazon.com has always shrink wrapped my hardcover books to a cardboard backing and filled the box with air packets.

With softcovers if there are less then 3 in the order they will just ship loose, otherwise they get the same treatment as the hardcovers.

But when I order from Amazon.ca the books are always just put in a box with no protection. So maybe it has something to do with which warehouse they ship from?

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
You hit on it. Really depends on the warehouse.

Amazon.ca has been fantastic to me over the last 7 years. Out of the 200+ orders, I've only had to return one. They just opened a new warehouse on the West coast though so hopefully they continue the high standards.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
The Midwest Amazon warehouse that serves me has gone to poo poo in the past 2 years. I probably send 30% of books back at least once because they don't protect them properly. It used to be 100% in great condition, but they've really stopped trying.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I have Prime and most of the time everything ships loose with one small piece of air cushion thrown on top. Literally one square of air cushion. Most stuff isn't badly dinged and for trades I can live with it because I read and loan them out. I sent the Nausicaa set back three times due to the slipcase being all busted up. If I end up not liking the book it would be nice to be able to resell it.

I wonder if this is the reason the discount on comics has decreased with Amazon. Used to see 45-47% for pre orders, now it is usually around 25-35%. It can't be cheap to keep sending out replacement. Especially omnis and box sets.

I rely on IST now. Shipping can be really slow but the packaging is awesome. The extra 2% off deal for buying more within a week of your last purchase is kinda cool too if you split up a big order.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I use amazon.ca and usually get hardcovers in cardboard but trades in padded envelopes. Although my deluxe iron man hc came in a box and one of the corners was bent to all hell. I didn't wanna piss around returning and waiting for a new one, but I kinda wish I did now.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I've never had to return a book because of damage from Amazon. They always package them appropriately and never show up damaged. (knock on wood)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Nodoze posted:

I've never had to return a book because of damage from Amazon. They always package them appropriately and never show up damaged. (knock on wood)

Yeah it's totally a region by region issue because Amazon themselves don't do all of the shipping nor do they have a set standard that is followed nationally. I never had issues when I live in PA, but when I moved to IL, things got a lot less consistent. IST does do awesome shipping though. I've never had the long waits that people talk about and their stuff is packed so well.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Karnegal posted:

Yeah it's totally a region by region issue because Amazon themselves don't do all of the shipping nor do they have a set standard that is followed nationally. I never had issues when I live in PA, but when I moved to IL, things got a lot less consistent. IST does do awesome shipping though. I've never had the long waits that people talk about and their stuff is packed so well.

Yeah IST packs everything great, I just wish they shipped faster. Amazon Prime is pretty much the best thing ever

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Since I just got an IST order and it's still relevant here we go:

This is how it was shipped to me:

As far as timing goes, I placed my order late afternoon on May 31st. It shipped out on June 5th and I got it today.

I love IST and I'm gonna be super sad if they end up closing shop.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Has a 2nd Ultimate Spidey Omnibus been solicited yet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ShortStack posted:

Since I just got an IST order and it's still relevant here we go:

This is how it was shipped to me:

As far as timing goes, I placed my order late afternoon on May 31st. It shipped out on June 5th and I got it today.

I love IST and I'm gonna be super sad if they end up closing shop.

Yep, I got one from IST today packed basically the same as that with only two books, though (Solo and Wolverine hardcovers). ALSO placed the 5th and received today. Definitely can't complain about that.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Endless Mike posted:

Yep, I got one from IST today packed basically the same as that with only two books, though (Solo and Wolverine hardcovers). ALSO placed the 5th and received today. Definitely can't complain about that.

Mine was packed like that too. Unfortunately my copy of Solo had a factory misaligned cover. Also the binding seems kinda crappy (Art is slightly misaligned, looks to be glued binding, cover kinda bulges out from spine, glue warping and leaking on inside cover, and some more crap). Oh well. $25 book can't complain that much. I opened it and don't want to deal with a return. Probably my last DC "Deluxe" edition. They just feel cheaper and crappier than other companies hardcovers.

lovely glue job on inside cover.

Straight outta the shrink wrap and wonky

Off center spine...

Anyone else have a problem?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ya'll be careful out there.
http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/23368/How-the-XStatix-Omnibus-sent-me-to-the-hospital#.UcHe_5wmwdp

quote:

So we get to the ER and I tell my story to the nurse. "I think we need to get you checked out," he said. "I don't think you'd pull that many muscles lifting a book." "It's a really heavy book," I said.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Good thing he didn't get The Adamantium Collection or he'd be dead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That pansy. I moved a box with 14 of them in it one day.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

sporklift posted:

Mine was packed like that too. Unfortunately my copy of Solo had a factory misaligned cover. Also the binding seems kinda crappy (Art is slightly misaligned, looks to be glued binding, cover kinda bulges out from spine, glue warping and leaking on inside cover, and some more crap). Oh well. $25 book can't complain that much. I opened it and don't want to deal with a return. Probably my last DC "Deluxe" edition. They just feel cheaper and crappier than other companies hardcovers.

Off center spine...

Mine is still shrink-wrapped, but it looks like that too. The wonkyness.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't even taken a close look at mine. Guess I will be tonight. How is IST with returns?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

sporklift posted:

Off center spine...

Opened mine up today after seeing your pics.

No glue issue and the spine is centered, but the pages look like waves, with the dark and light paper going up and down like crazy. Way more severe than what you are showing.

BioTech fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 20, 2013

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

BioTech posted:

Opened mine up today after seeing your pics.

No glue issue and the spine is centered, but the pages look like waves, with the dark and light paper going up and down like crazy. Way more severe than what you are showing.

I have had way too many DC HCs do this with the pages. I think it's because the paper they use is so drat thin. I've certainly been cutting down on my DC orders because of this quality issue.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
If everyone's seems to be equally wavey I guess there's no real point in sending it back to Amazon for a new one.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Karnegal posted:

If everyone's seems to be equally wavey I guess there's no real point in sending it back to Amazon for a new one.

I wish mine was that straight. Crappy cellphone pic, but you get the idea.

Wow, scrolling past it is like one of those illusions.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

It is going for 50+ online while I can get the issues for 10 bucks. Looks like I will have the issues for the first 6 issues then the trades for the rest.

Hey bobkatt013, I called in a favor with a friend, so I should have a copy of the Question Vol. 1 TPB in my hands in a week or so. You still up for paying cover price plus shipping -- about $25 total?

Shoot me an e-mail at saxman2 AT hotmail, if you would.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tonight I got all butt hurt over the lack of John Ostrander Specter collections. What the gently caress DC?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Here's what mine looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Tonight I got all butt hurt over the lack of John Ostrander Specter collections. What the gently caress DC?

Look man, it only took around ten years to collect Solo, the most critically acclaimed series they've published in the first decade of the century. For something like Ostrander's Spectre they need to to really build up to it. Expect it sometime around 2073 and in the mean time, have an absolute edition of Jeph Loeb's greatest works!