Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Dogdoo 8 posted:

They showed Alex G. in all the holiday promos the year she didn't get it too though.

Yeah, but they played the promos during the commercial breaks for next iron chef. Was "Alex's Big Bite" or whatever her show was called that popular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Verdugo posted:

Yeah, but they played the promos during the commercial breaks for next iron chef. Was "Alex's Big Bite" or whatever her show was called that popular?

I never noticed that part, but I wasn't watching much aside from Next Iron Chef at the time. I've only seen "Alex's Day Off" on at like 6 AM. I doubt it was ever popular.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Lord of the Bones posted:

It really feels like only Bobby Flay and that Deen boy can get 'new' episodes of a 'teach me to cook' sort of show.

Trisha Yearwood gets new shows as well. I at least give her credit because she seemingly cooks from scratch as much as possible.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
NFNS is off to a pretty terrible start, mostly because the horrible casting has been exposed by them placing the screen test challenge in the first episode.

So let's get this straight. In a competition in which the prize is winning your own TV series, you have auditioned and cast these people... who almost all miserably fail 30 second camera tests.

Mohawk man and blonde model chef were both on Chopped right?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Danushka is so ridiculously awful. Quite possibly the worst contestant on this show ever.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 10, 2013

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Danushka is hilarious because she thinks she's way better at cooking and far more personable than she has come across on NFNS or Chopped.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spoeank posted:

Danushka is hilarious because she thinks she's way better at cooking and far more personable than she has come across on NFNS or Chopped.

I laughed aloud when Alton said he still wasn't sure if she weren't a little bit crazy.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Spoeank posted:

Which is why she's going to make it at least another handful of episodes.

Man I love how awful it is this year!!

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Which is why she's going to make it at least another handful of episodes.

Man I love how awful it is this year!!

Is it fun awful or just painful like this season of Worst Cooks?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Definitely fun awful. Plus I could see at least 3-4 convincing winners to go along with the clowns amusing me.

Besides, nothing's as bad as the last season of Worst Cooks (other than Rachael vs Guy).

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

Christopher Irvine posted:

Definitely fun awful. Plus I could see at least 3-4 convincing winners to go along with the clowns amusing me.

Besides, nothing's as bad as the last season of Worst Cooks (other than Rachael vs Guy).

Rachael vs. Guy was still safely in fun territory for me.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I'm personally sold on the fun awfulness of Danushka alone. The friend I watch the show with and I take turns trying out our impressions of her "From fashion model to domestic goddess" sneering, bitchy pitch video. I hope she never, ever leaves.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hahaha the Cuban guy got kicked off because he wouldn't make a big deal out of his weight loss. I also like how they purposely pretended to be almost offended by his premise of "teaching men how to cook" and act like they don't know exactly what he means. Yes, in the cooking INDUSTRY, there are tons of men chefs... but you all know for a fact that is not what he is referring to. This show is so dishonest with itself that is really is a sight to behold.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

They've kicked people off before for being too focused on the weight loss thing so yeah it's interesting to see them act as though that's what people want.

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
I think last season there was a former fat guy who didn't talk about his weight until he was in elimination and part of why they kicked him saying that if he'd focused more on his life story as a former fattie he might have stayed. It was frustrating to see, I think the dude just wanted to be seen as a normal person.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Dogdoo 8 posted:

It was frustrating to see, I think the dude just wanted to be seen as a normal person.

With that hair and those brows? Please.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
I don't really like anyone on NFNS, but once I realized this Danushka character would be appearing, I knew I'd feel compelled to watch at least until she got the boot. I thought I was immune to the sort of annoying personalities that are often featured on Chopped, NFNS, etc., but she's really occupying a new tier. She's surpassed Josie from last season of Top Chef. I'm sorta dreading the day she gets kicked off because I won't have anyone to dislike so much when she's gone. This is what Food Network viewership has turned me into :(

Also, in that Alton Brown AMA, he said he had no idea what Justin's future was beyond that one hour thing, but that he thinks he should try some sort of web series. Ehhh.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
This is my first time watching NFNS. Were the contestants in previous seasons always this awful? Between Danushka and the :byodood: FOOD REVOLUTION guy, a non insignificant portion of the contestants are completely nuts.

I should probably clarify, I've only seen the first episode so far. I love how the bearded guy's "Star Meter" was slowly going down due to his tepid presentation until he mumbled out that he lost a bunch of weight and it shot up.

Edit2: On to the second episode now. One of the contestants mentioned he was putting "pickled cucumber" in his dish. I guess because "pickles" didn't sound fancy enough for him.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 15, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It seems pretty clear that the producers of NFNS are much more interested in the ratings of NFNS than they are in discovering the Food Network's next great host. They've routinely had more likeable, charismatic people on Worst Cooks for crying out loud.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Terry Glenn posted:

Also, in that Alton Brown AMA, he said he had no idea what Justin's future was beyond that one hour thing, but that he thinks he should try some sort of web series. Ehhh.

Hahah the guy on the "selection committee" for the show designed to "create new stars" for food network is like 'eh I guess a web series for that winner or something, whatever'

I love it :twisted:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
HERE WE GO!

Danuska is going to try harder to get her (terrible) personality across.

Also, Russel's ears bend out in a funny way that make him look like a house elf.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 17, 2013

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
:rolleyes: Yeah Alton, why would anyone want to hide a history of life-ruining addiction?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Dogdoo 8 posted:

I think last season there was a former fat guy who didn't talk about his weight until he was in elimination and part of why they kicked him saying that if he'd focused more on his life story as a former fattie he might have stayed. It was frustrating to see, I think the dude just wanted to be seen as a normal person.

The real problem is his whole "Teaching guys to cook" angle was really douchey and disingenuous, and even the audiences weren't liking it. I can understand him not wanting to "exploit" the whole fatty thing, but he's a child obesity counselor, so you'd think it'd be much more natural for him to do something about "simple steps to eat healthier to apply to everyone" instead of "men are dumb here's how to feed ourselves."

Danushka is amazing because she has these moments of clarity where she totally relaxes and laughs and has fun, and then when she's ready to go in front of the camera, she goes into total bitch mode and forgets how to be a human being.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

:rolleyes: Yeah Alton, why would anyone want to hide a history of life-ruining addiction?

Every year this sort of thing comes up and I find it really loving funny because they always act like they were entitled to know about this stuff.

I seriously picture some future contestant talking and Alton Brown saying "you should have told us you were abused constantly as a child, that's stuff we need to KNOW...so we can incorporate it into your show!"

Just what I want when I watch someone cook food, a backstory about their lovely teenage years

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Every year this sort of thing comes up and I find it really loving funny because they always act like they were entitled to know about this stuff.

I seriously picture some future contestant talking and Alton Brown saying "you should have told us you were abused constantly as a child, that's stuff we need to KNOW...so we can incorporate it into your show!"

Just what I want when I watch someone cook food, a backstory about their lovely teenage years

Agreed,
At this point it feels like they're almost more focused on the backstory than they are the food. "I just threw it all in a pot on a whim and it turned out amazing" isn't good enough. Now we have to hear all about how you prepared all of this food by yourself for your 10 younger brothers and sisters while your alcoholic parents were out doing drugs and whatnot.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
NFNS is such a weird god damned show to me because of how pathetic the prize kinda is. In theory it's good but NFNS is significantly more popular than almost any of the shows that it spawns. People like seeing these people get a show more than they actually like the show that comes from it. The only one that's really stuck around is Guy and he became popular from his second show. It's just weird to me that a show where people compete for a pirze the audience has no interest in is so popular.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
At the same time, though, the guy brought his rough past up first. It's not like Altom and Bobby had the dude under an interrogation light. You can't just bring up hard times and expect no one ever to ask.

For all we know every single content turns tricks for blow in the night, but they keep their mouth shut about it.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

They didn't have him under a light, no, but so frequently the reaction in this show is that it's something that the contestant should have told them SOONER, as in it's something they should have been playing off of from day one. I mean I'm probably overanalyzing this because for all we know this show is manipulated to a point where they've known all along and they just wanted to play up that one dude in this episode so it suddenly spilled out or whatever.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

When that "confession" happened (and the similar stuff that happens on Chopped) and they cut to the other contestants, I always wonder what they're thinking.

"Holy poo poo, that poor guy!"

or

"Whaaaat? What kind of bullshit is he bringing up. Some kind of sympathy vote?!?!"

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Seriously, it's not like that is needed for a food show. I mean, I barely find it tolerable on reality shows where it makes more sense, like American Idol or SYTYCD.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I also hate how they got all mad at Damaris because the audience was laughing at her and not with her. NFNS should take entertainment where they can get it and not complain. Lord knows we don't watch Sandra Lee because we're laughing with her.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Did anyone ever jabber about Alton Brown arrested for stealing 2 donut holes?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
In earlier seasons of FNS they didn't develop their 'culinary point of view' (I hate that phrase so much) until towards the end of the season if I remember right. Now they are expected to come on board with a concept. They also did way more training with how to talk to the camera and all that, instead of sticking them in front of it straight away. It's such a joke anyway, there are like three people on there who you would ever give a TV show to, everyone else is making up the numbers for drama.

Oh and I did enjoy the irony that Danushka got canned on the Chopped challenge after she was originally on Chopped. Surprised they didn't bring that up.

Edit: The major problem with the culinary point of view is that it is a crutch for people who don't really know what they are talking about (the food). The old school actual chef standup cooking shows didn't need culinary points of view because they could talk about the food as they were preparing it and tell you about the history of it and why you did this and so on. Then they started employing people who were just there to be pretty faces and bubbly and exciting and so they have to fill time when putting chicken fingers in the oven by telling you how much they loved chicken fingers as a kid.

Red Warrior fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 18, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Red Warrior posted:

Edit: The major problem with the culinary point of view is that it is a crutch for people who don't really know what they are talking about (the food). The old school actual chef standup cooking shows didn't need culinary points of view because they could talk about the food as they were preparing it and tell you about the history of it and why you did this and so on. Then they started employing people who were just there to be pretty faces and bubbly and exciting and so they have to fill time when putting chicken fingers in the oven by telling you how much they loved chicken fingers as a kid.

Thank you!

I miss watching cooking shows on PBS. :smith:

So FN producers, let's see what we have. For decades, cooking hosts relied on their knowledge to carry their shows. Your network is born, and due to a lack of available talent, you start filling the air with people who are far less skilled, in general, at hosting a TV show or cooking, so you focus on the personalities as an easy fix, and for a while, it works reasonably, except that most of your actual cooking shows have moved off network, and you mostly focus on competition shows now since fewer and fewer people want to watch your style of cooking show, which you have now based a competition around in which it is the grand prize! Hooray! :psyduck:

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

Thank you!

I miss watching cooking shows on PBS. :smith:

So FN producers, let's see what we have. For decades, cooking hosts relied on their knowledge to carry their shows. Your network is born, and due to a lack of available talent, you start filling the air with people who are far less skilled, in general, at hosting a TV show or cooking, so you focus on the personalities as an easy fix, and for a while, it works reasonably, except that most of your actual cooking shows have moved off network, and you mostly focus on competition shows now since fewer and fewer people want to watch your style of cooking show, which you have now based a competition around in which it is the grand prize! Hooray! :psyduck:

The best part is I don't think there's a lack of talent out there, they just think the personalities will sell better.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I remember reading about this before but am not sure the (alleged) quotes were provided in this much detail:

"Paula Deen On Her Dream ‘Southern Plantation Wedding' posted:

“Well what I would really like is a bunch of little niggers to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties, you know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around,” the lawsuit claims Deen said. “Now that would be a true southern wedding, wouldn’t it? But we can’t do that because the media would be on me about that.”

In her deposition, which was given last month, Deen denied many of the allegations against Hiers and addressed the alleged comment about his wedding. Deen said she remembered telling Jackson and another employee about a restaurant she went to with an exclusively African-American waitstaff that she wanted to emulate, but was worried about the potential reaction. Though Deen admitted to using the phrase “really southern plantation wedding” she denied having said the N word.

Though she denied having used the N word when discussing the wedding waitstaff, Deen admitted to Billips that she used the term in the past.

“Yes, of course,” Deen replied when asked if she ever said the word.

“That’s kind of hard. Most — most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks. Most jokes target — I don’t know. I didn’t make up the jokes, I don’t know,” said Deen. “They usually target, though, a group. Gays or straights, black, redneck, you know, I just don’t know — I just don’t know what to say. I can’t, myself, determine what offends another person.”

Though she said she does not tell “racial” jokes herself, Deen said she was “sure” members of her family have told jokes that contained the N word and that her husband “is constantly telling me jokes.” Billips asked whether Deen is “offended at all by those jokes.”

“No, because it’s my husband,” she said.

There's too much to quote. Sounds like she has a real interesting family.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mozi posted:

I remember reading about this before but am not sure the (alleged) quotes were provided in this much detail:

There's too much to quote. Sounds like she has a real interesting family.

Uhhh...holy poo poo.

I just read the story on CNN but they pretty much left out most of that article and cherry picked for the "good parts".

They missed the real "good parts". That whole article doesn't look good for Paula at all.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I always gave Paula Deen the benefit of a doubt but if any of that is true then she can go to hell. I still believe the only good thing to come out of the South is Alton Brown and this reinforces that notion.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Vanderdeath posted:

I always gave Paula Deen the benefit of a doubt but if any of that is true then she can go to hell. I still believe the only good thing to come out of the South is Alton Brown and this reinforces that notion.

Being from the south, I can assure you that Alton Brown is not the only good thing to come from the south, and nothing makes me roll my eyes more on these forums than reading a bunch of people generalize about the region just because a couple dipshits from the south make everyone else there look bad. Reading the article, it sounds like Paula was just being honest about her usage of the word, and seeing how she is an old lady from the deep south, I don't think it's too shocking that she has in fact used it. Her brother though sounds like he would be awful to work with and if some of the stuff that the waitress says is true, that's where the real part of the story is and she should definitely sue the poo poo out of him.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

dude789 posted:

Being from the south, I can assure you that Alton Brown is not the only good thing to come from the south, and nothing makes me roll my eyes more on these forums than reading a bunch of people generalize about the region just because a couple dipshits from the south make everyone else there look bad. Reading the article, it sounds like Paula was just being honest about her usage of the word, and seeing how she is an old lady from the deep south, I don't think it's too shocking that she has in fact used it. Her brother though sounds like he would be awful to work with and if some of the stuff that the waitress says is true, that's where the real part of the story is and she should definitely sue the poo poo out of him.

I've lived down here for 13 years, so I'm rather firm in that assessment.

It's also a joke because I have family from Georgia.

The one thing I do hope for is Food Network's termination of her programming and her subsequent job termination along with it. If Irvine got kiboshed for a bit because of his resume flub then I think Deen should get kicked to the curb hard and lose all of her endorsements.

• Locked thread