Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
The image stabilization in my EP-1 has died (being knocked off a table by cat seems to have killed it) and I get my tax return this month so I think it's soon time to jump on the EM-5 even though it hasn't had a decent price drop yet.

Give me a good reason not to. I really only use the Panasonic 20 1.7 but I would like to get a long lens (I went to South Africa without one and I think I'm going to regret it forever). What other options are out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
If you like the form-factor of your EP-1, maybe check out the features on the EP-5 and make sure there isn't anything there (wifi, focus peaking, newer tech) that you might want - otherwise it's more or less an EM-5 in the body shape you're already used to. Most reviewers say that after trying both, they are still preferring the EM-5 because of ergonomics- especially if you plan on getting the grip. If you're staying in m43, stay with Olympus unless you are into video, as that is where Panasonic is still leading- there are rumors to a GX1 follow-up coming soon, but soon isn't now and nothing is official yet, so it's better to just worry about what is real and actually out in the real world.

The Panasonic 20 1.7 is pretty nice, but it's one of the slower lenses on the new Olys. The 25 is faster, and a lot of people prefer the 50mm FOV versus the 40mm, but it's a matter of preference. I've owned both and finally settled on the 25 as my keeper. The new Oly 35mm 1.8 is not bad and does the same really nice manual focus with markings for zone focusing as the 12mm, but it's a bit of a disappointment after the excellent 12, 45, and 75 that Olympus put out before it. If money is no object, the Panasonic 12-35 is pretty sexy, but it's big and heavy and pretty expensive (but hey, most equivalent 24-70's in that range are as expensive or more).

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Just got the Rainbowimaging Leica adapter and a Voigtlander 15mm - will be using them quite a bit this weekend. The infinity mark/focus ring all the way to one side isn't in focus unfortunately, I have to turn it slightly away. Is this just a limitation of the Chinese adapter or am I missing something?

edit: Ugh, sorry for the huge size, is there any way to remove or timg an attached image?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 6, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
^^ We were just arguing about it last page

More Leica Mini news

Leica X Vario Type 107 camera that will be announced on June 11, 2013:

16.5MP APS-C sensor
Leica Vario Elmar 1:3.5-6.4/18-46mm ASPH lens (28-70mm equivalent): 9 elements in 8 groups, 2 ASPH elements
Minimal focusing distance: 30cm
ISO range: 100-12,500
Max shutter speed: 1/2000s
3" TFT LCD with 921k dots
Full HD video
Built-in flash
Additional accessories will include grip, lens hood, external EVF, several different cases
Adobe Lightroom will be included
Battery capacity: 360 exposures
Dimensions: 133 x 73 x 95mm
Weight: 679g - around 24oz (with batteries)
Price: around 2,500 EUR
Made in Germany

If the lens can shrink all the way in the body it seem to be a neat design idea. I hope Sony rip it off and make a APSC sensor RX10 and sell it for $999.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
picture

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Well, hopefully Leica is just trolling, cause if not.. :dogout:

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
I am curious if anyone had an experience with the Samsung 50-200mm F4.0-5.6 ED OIS II.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Helicity posted:

Just get the Rainbowimaging Leica adapter and a Voigtlander 15mm - will be using them quite a bit this weekend. The infinity mark/focus ring all the way to one side isn't in focus unfortunately, I have to turn it slightly away. Is this just a limitation of the Chinese adapter or am I missing something?

edit: Ugh, sorry for the huge size, is there any way to remove or timg an attached image?

That's what mine does too. If you want, pull the adapter apart (just 3 set screws) and shim it with aluminum foil or something until its spot on.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

That's what mine does too. If you want, pull the adapter apart (just 3 set screws) and shim it with aluminum foil or something until its spot on.

Assuming its the same with the m adapter as the l39 one. Probably some way to shim

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

whatever7 posted:

If the lens can shrink all the way in the body it seem to be a neat design idea.

Hopefully, that's the case, but all the previously leaked images show it having a non-retractable zoom. Which would just make it a 2,500 Euros MILC, except, no, you can't actually swap lenses.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Costello Jello posted:

Hopefully, that's the case, but all the previously leaked images show it having a non-retractable zoom. Which would just make it a 2,500 Euros MILC, except, no, you can't actually swap lenses.

Mine is from Leica directly.

http://en.leica-camera.com/home/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Am I missing something? It just looks like a bridge camera with a slow, limited-range zoom and a red dot on it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Paul MaudDib posted:

Am I missing something? It just looks like a bridge camera with a slow, limited-range zoom and a red dot on it.

Its basically the digital version of the Leica CM Zoom. They sold that 2x point and shoot for 1200 back in 2004.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

The new Leica camera is so hilariously bad it hurts. Not only is there potential for some kind of market for a crop sensor body that accepts M-mount lenses but somehow this is poised to be 'better' than the X2 with how it was positioned as a 'mini-M'.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mest0r posted:

The new Leica camera is so hilariously bad it hurts. Not only is there potential for some kind of market for a crop sensor body that accepts M-mount lenses but somehow this is poised to be 'better' than the X2 with how it was positioned as a 'mini-M'.

Maybe Leica is trying to see if they can outdo the Hasselblad Lunar.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
I just picked up an X-Pro 1 thanks to the sweet deals/discounts going on everywhere at the moment, but I have a question. Does anybody know what the story is behind its batteries? They appear to be back-ordered for months no matter where you look. Does anyone know of anywhere that has them a bit more regularly or, alternatively, does anyone have suggestions for reliable third-party batteries? I see these "Watson" batteries everywhere but they look a bit sketchy to me. Are they perfectly fine and I'm just being paranoid?

Thanks, guys.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

whatever7 posted:

Its basically the digital version of the Leica CM Zoom. They sold that 2x point and shoot for 1200 back in 2004.

I had to google what a Leica CM was, and I found the most terrible review of a camera ever.

It was a glowing review from Steve Huff, praising the CM like it was forged by god himself. Even though by his own admission it:
- distorts
- vignettes
- flares
- lens is slow
- max shutter of 1/500 ("I guess this is not really a negative, but just the limitation of the camera" - Steve Huff)
- cost him like $700

What is it with loving Leica people?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hahaha that review is great.

At the wide end it shows a litttttle bit of distortion *shows the most unintentionally distorted picture I've seen in years, that even a small child would identify as a crazy pincushion*.

But on the plus side, it looks and feels like a Leica and has some great fantastically expensive accessories!

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

eXXon posted:

Hahaha that review is great.

At the wide end it shows a litttttle bit of distortion *shows the most unintentionally distorted picture I've seen in years, that even a small child would identify as a crazy pincushion*.

But on the plus side, it looks and feels like a Leica and has some great fantastically expensive accessories!

I also god a kick out of the opening few paragraphs where he talks about having to sell all his Leica stuff because he's broke, but working hard to buy it all back.

~owning things~

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mest0r posted:

You mean like almost any mirrorless camera with an adapter? Hell, there's even an official Fuji M-mount adapter.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

That 70s Shirt posted:

I just picked up an X-Pro 1 thanks to the sweet deals/discounts going on everywhere at the moment, but I have a question. Does anybody know what the story is behind its batteries? They appear to be back-ordered for months no matter where you look. Does anyone know of anywhere that has them a bit more regularly or, alternatively, does anyone have suggestions for reliable third-party batteries? I see these "Watson" batteries everywhere but they look a bit sketchy to me. Are they perfectly fine and I'm just being paranoid?

Thanks, guys.

If they ship to wherever you are: http://www.adencamera.com/product-overviewer.asp?ProdID=3966&Category=25

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
But look at the fit and finish of the fine leather. Its going to be made in Germany too!

Ksi
May 1, 2007
"Hasta la victoria siempre"
I just bought a really cheap russian lens: The Helios 44-4 58mm
I've been searching for a few adapters for my X-pro 1 and found the Rainbowimaging m42 one, anyone have any experience with those?

Also, anyone know of a store that ships to Mexico? I bought the leather case for the camera through amazon and there were no problems (except for a huge tax, gently caress), but i'm trying to buy one of the 3rd party batteries but so far i had no luck (they are all restricted in someway). If someone could tell me of a store that carries cheap batteries + the adapter i would be so so grateful.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Ksi posted:

I just bought a really cheap russian lens: The Helios 44-4 58mm
I've been searching for a few adapters for my X-pro 1 and found the Rainbowimaging m42 one, anyone have any experience with those?

Also, anyone know of a store that ships to Mexico? I bought the leather case for the camera through amazon and there were no problems (except for a huge tax, gently caress), but i'm trying to buy one of the 3rd party batteries but so far i had no luck (they are all restricted in someway). If someone could tell me of a store that carries cheap batteries + the adapter i would be so so grateful.

I think the one I had was a RI adapter. I used it for some Russian M42 lenses and they worked great.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Mightaswell posted:

I had to google what a Leica CM was, and I found the most terrible review of a camera ever.

It was a glowing review from Steve Huff, praising the CM like it was forged by god himself. Even though by his own admission it:
- distorts
- vignettes
- flares
- lens is slow
- max shutter of 1/500 ("I guess this is not really a negative, but just the limitation of the camera" - Steve Huff)
- cost him like $700

What is it with loving Leica people?

That is pretty much Steve Huff in a nutshell. Leica and other camera companies now send him free stuff in exchange for those kinds of "reviews". And, boy, does he whine on if a hot new camera is released and he has to actually buy it. If he was a good photographer I might even be able to look past some of that.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

That 70s Shirt posted:

Thanks, guys.

Adorama has NP-W126 batteries in stock. I have a "Power 2000" NP-95 battery for the original X100 that has never given me a problem.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!
Awesome. Thanks, you guys.

I'm having a lot of fun with this thing. It's taking some getting used to, though. I've taken several photos using the OVF and not realized the lens cap was still on, for instance. :downs:

That 70s Shirt fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 8, 2013

mes
Apr 28, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

You mean like almost any mirrorless camera with an adapter? Hell, there's even an official Fuji M-mount adapter.

Well that's fair, but I meant a Leica made camera with native m-mount. Not that it would be less expensive than some other mirrorless camera with an adapter, but at least it would signify that Leica is at least trying to adapt to the market. Special editions are one thing, but with this new camera Leica really, really doesn't care anymore.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I don't think Leica needs to give any fucks when they're experiencing record sales and can't make cameras fast enough to keep up with demand.

These consumer cameras are made for the ultrawealthy to show off their red dot, not to objectively maximize the quality per dollar of their optical systems. There's a loving lot of new money out there these days, and more power to Leica if they can liberate dollars from rich fools who probably won't take the camera off P anyways.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

There's a loving lot of new money out there these days, and more power to Leica if they can liberate dollars from rich fools who probably won't take the camera off P anyways.

I don't understand, what are you implying?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
OOC Jpgs from the lecianess http://www.slack.co.uk/slack/Paula.html

Krock is going to make sweet sex with that camera.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Musket posted:

Krock is going to make sweet sex with that camera.

Yeah, it's definitely over-saturated default jpegs, but still, nice image quality.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is there a red metallic stick on logo you can buy, thats exactly the size of the leica dot, but it's Coke logo?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

This is almost enough for birds.

Almost.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Man, the Fuji 18mm is so bad... How do the 35mm and 18mm even come from the same lens series :smith:

Mr. Despair posted:

This is almost enough for birds.

Almost.

Dat fukken OM-D

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Is there a recommended lens hood for the Pana 20mm/1.7?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Has any one done a good comparison of the Xpro1 to an Olympus OM-D? I am leaving the country (US) in two weeks and my wife has just authorized me to buy a new camera :o. I apologize if this is a rehash; I have read the first page and past 5 pages.

Currently using a GF1 that I have enjoyed since its release in 2009. My final verdict is that it has been just ok. It is awesome how small it is (compared to the D300 I had before!), but at the end of the day it has always felt like it is lacking something (a talented owner?).

I have been drooling over the Fuji Xpro1 since it was announced and that is my current target. Is there really an Xpro2 just around the corner? There was some mention of it in the past few pages, but I never got to the source.

edit: the body/lens combos for an Xpro1 on adorama and bhphoto are so cheap this is getting very hard to resist...

other people fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 9, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The xe-1 is the better value, unless you have a need for weather sealing, high fps, or the extra crop factor.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Has any one done a good comparison of the Xpro1 to an Olympus OM-D? I am leaving the country (US) in two weeks and my wife has just authorized me to buy a new camera :o. I apologize if this is a rehash; I have read the first page and past 5 pages.

Currently using a GF1 that I have enjoyed since its release in 2009. My final verdict is that it has been just ok. It is awesome how small it is (compared to the D300 I had before!), but at the end of the day it has always felt like it is lacking something (a talented owner?).

I have been drooling over the Fuji Xpro1 since it was announced and that is my current target. Is there really an Xpro2 just around the corner? There was some mention of it in the past few pages, but I never got to the source.

edit: the body/lens combos for an Xpro1 on adorama and bhphoto are so cheap this is getting very hard to resist...

Uh, I've only briefly held the OM-D, so take that for what it's worth, but I do own an X-Pro1. The X-Pro is getting an update pretty soon, which is why I think Fuji has been running these sales. It's expected to get the enhancements from the X100s, at the very least. Some of these improvements, like faster phase-detect AF, and a better EVF are dearly needed. It's a quirky camera, to be honest. You have to account for things that most people haven't thought of before, like parallax. The AF is slow, and only really usable with the centre point, so there will be a lot of focus and recompose. Where the X-System shines is in IQ: for an affordable APS-C ILC camera, you get IQ and high ISO capabilities that rival cameras twice the price. Also, the lenses are fantastic (except the 18mm - gently caress that lens) and affordable. If you don't want to put up with the X-Pro1 bullshit, look at the X-E1.

The OM-D is m4/3, so you know what you're getting into to a degree. From samples on dpreview, you can see that for a m4/3 sensor, Olympus really did some magic with their firmware. Noise at high ISO is very, very good. m4/3 gives you access to Panasonic and Olympus glass - both of these guys have their respective gems (Pana-Leica 25mm, Oly. 17mm 1.8, etc). The other thing to see is how well regarded the OM-D is by people right here in the dorkroom. Goon approval is a pretty good tip-off that it's a decent cam.

Also look at the NEX-6. Good glass isn't so widely available, but Zeiss is committed to the mount, and you could probably adapt anything you want to that camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
According to Fuji roadmap, the 27mm pancake will come out soon, probably with the rumored cheaper EVF-less body; the 23/1.4 will come out close to the end of the year, I am guessing that's when the XPro2 will be announced.

As for Fuji VS OM-D, I was reading this thread yesterday. Some posters who owned both made some rational comments toward the later half of the thread.