Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm just saying, if they can't get Mario or Mario Kart out by holiday then they might as well not even bother, because after the holidays, most families will have already chosen a console and will stick with it for the next couple of years. And no family is going to choose a console whose big black friday buy is... a 10 year old remake :geno:

They can't have another year of sales like this for Wii U without a major amount of corporate heads rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I thought Mario Kart U was already confirmed for this year?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Chaltab posted:

Since Pikmin 3 was basically confirmed at launch and was pushed back to 2nd half of 2013, meh. Means nothing to me because I'm just gonna buy it whenever it does come out. However, yeah, nintendo should prolly get that poo poo out prior to Black Friday.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Chaltab posted:

They haven't put a day and date on it yet so you can't take it for granted. Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 were "launch window" games, after all.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Yoshifan823 posted:

edit: Also, Apparently Best Buy is getting their Wii U Basic's recalled starting tomorrow/Tuesday. I don't know what we should be expecting, but my money is on either a Deluxe price-drop to $300 or an announcement of White Deluxe packs available later in the summer (or both).

Earlier amazon in the UK very briefly dropped the WiiU basic down to £140 and the deluxe to £199, and they sold out whatever allocation there was within minutes before jumping back up to the normal price. Either it was a tester or they accidentally price-dropped it early as part a new pricing scheme?

Also (as a dedicated PC gamer) I would impulse-buy one of these so bad at £199, even though the only kinda-neat looking games are Monster Hunter and Zombi and maybe Mass Effect if there was a decent online community for the co-op. Watchdogs, Smash Bros and Zelda would be fantastic but they won't be around for a while, if they'd been released at or closer to launch I'm sure theyre would have been far more consoles shifted. What would be really dope would be Animal Crossing and a new Harvest Moon but I haven't seen any rumours :(

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 9, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I think Nintendo Directs are cool, but its not mainstream enough. How about good ol TV or Internet ads on important websites?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I think Nintendo Directs are cool, but its not mainstream enough. How about good ol TV or Internet ads on important websites?
Nintendo Directs are pretty much the opposite of mainstream. The E3 Direct is not even going to be featured on Gametrailers/IGN/Spike/Gamespot/etc. Which means nobody other than Wii U/3DS owners are going to watch it.

So bad. at marketing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nintendo Directs are pretty much the opposite of mainstream. The E3 Direct is not even going to be featured on Gametrailers/IGN/Spike/Gamespot/etc. Which means nobody other than Wii U/3DS owners are going to watch it.

So bad. at marketing.

Er wait really? Why on earth would they do that?

edit: I think it's kind of foolish they aren't doing a presentation this year at E3. Reggie is like the most charismatic dude out of any of the people up on the stages at E3. He's just a cool dude while all the other people on stage at the other presentation are always old balding dorks. Why would you not want Reggie up on stage hyping up your poo poo? Especially Smash Bros?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Quest For Glory II posted:

So bad. at marketing.

How ever will Gametrailers, IGN and Gamespot be able to find out about the Nintendo E3!?

Let's hope they sneak someone into the barricaded theatre compound and get the scoop! Or maybe they luckily know one of these fabled "Wii U/3DS owners" and can get the scoop from them!

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Well it's going to be broadcast on Nintendo's website so they don't even have to do that. The trick is Nintendo needs to tell non-Nintendo console owners "you should come watch this".

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Nickoten posted:

Well it's going to be broadcast on Nintendo's website so they don't even have to do that. The trick is Nintendo needs to tell non-Nintendo console owners "you should come watch this".

The video is going to be public.

Every game publication is going to cover it.

Any trailer Nintendo releases will be immediately on YouTube for everyone to watch, which is where the majority of people who do not watch the Nintendo Direct will see it.

People are being completely silly about this. Should Nintendo launch a major scale promotional campaign after the E3 announcement so everyone watching TV knows about the games? Unquestionably and any reservations would be a mistake. But how they are handling E3 is fine. People keep acting like if you read IGN you won't know anything what is going with Nintendo at E3. It's ridiculous.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Wonderful 101 was only announced at last year's E3. I think they had demos for both at last year's Comic-Con, but that was less than a year ago.

Whoops, sorry, my mind must have pulled a major failure on me there. I just looked it up and the Wii U event was on July 28th last year, so they've had a demo around of both for at least that long.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Macaluso posted:

Er wait really? Why on earth would they do that?

edit: I think it's kind of foolish they aren't doing a presentation this year at E3. Reggie is like the most charismatic dude out of any of the people up on the stages at E3. He's just a cool dude while all the other people on stage at the other presentation are always old balding dorks. Why would you not want Reggie up on stage hyping up your poo poo? Especially Smash Bros?

Reggie's charm has worn off. Now he just makes weird faces and fucks up his lines. Like "Legend of Zella" and "Disney Epic Disney."

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And gets mad at journalists for asking him obvious questions he should have been prepped for.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Reggie has always seemed like a cool dude to me, the only thing I can't stand is the dumb "my body is ready" meme that the internet runs into the ground every E3

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

greatn posted:

The games that will be at the Best Buy have supposedly leaked:

http://www.gamingvlog.net/2013/06/09/nintendo-e3-best-buy-demo-list-leaked/

Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Super Luigi U, and Zelda: Wind Waker. Looks fairly legit.

That really doesn't bode well for Mario Kart or a 3D Mario supposedly being 2013 releases. If those were coming out this year you would think they would have demos ready. Looks like right now we'll have a demo of an expansion pack coming out in a couple of weeks, two demos that have already been played before of games coming out in a couple months, and one demo of a ten year old game. Absolutely nothing surprising or new.

Hopefully on the E3 show floor they'll have more, but I hope they don't seriously think that those demo kiosks are going to hype anyone up for the WiiU.

Well at least I won't feel the need to go to Best Buy. I know it's a Sega game, but Nintendo should have included the new Sonic game as well.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

KimT posted:

Reggie has always seemed like a cool dude to me, the only thing I can't stand is the dumb "my body is ready" meme that the internet runs into the ground every E3

How did that originate?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Every blog and gaming related website is going to report everything worth noting about what Nintendo reveals at E3 complete with links, photos, videos, etc. I am on the fence regarding their decision not to have a traditional conference this year, but some of you are talking as if no one but current fans and owners of their consoles will see this stuff. That is not going to be true at all.

Nintendo is coming with a list of game reveals and everyone is going to learn what those are. If it was 2007 instead of 2013 I might be singing a different tune, but it isn't.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

For what it's worth, I do prefer the Nintendo Direct over a "regular" press conference. More often than not they're unwatchable and while it is correct that E3 sees (extremely limited) coverage in mainstream media and they're probably missing out on that, the result as far as gaming websites and other online sources are concerned will be the same because they have to cover it anyways. And I do think that whatever 3-minute blub the local news will run about E3 would have been dominated by the Xbone and the PS4 regardless.

ghostwritingduck posted:

How did that originate?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/my-body-is-ready

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 9, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Creepy Goat posted:

Earlier amazon in the UK very briefly dropped the WiiU basic down to £140 and the deluxe to £199, and they sold out whatever allocation there was within minutes before jumping back up to the normal price. Either it was a tester or they accidentally price-dropped it early as part a new pricing scheme?

Also (as a dedicated PC gamer) I would impulse-buy one of these so bad at £199, even though the only kinda-neat looking games are Monster Hunter and Zombi and maybe Mass Effect if there was a decent online community for the co-op. Watchdogs, Smash Bros and Zelda would be fantastic but they won't be around for a while, if they'd been released at or closer to launch I'm sure theyre would have been far more consoles shifted. What would be really dope would be Animal Crossing and a new Harvest Moon but I haven't seen any rumours :(

Before HMV was about to close down, they were selling the deluxe model along with a copy of ZombiU for £200. This also included Nintendo Land as part of the deluxe package. Even after selling ZombiU and getting NSMBU, I still don't feel too happy with my purchase, but at least I didn't buy it at full price on launch day.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Xavier434 posted:

Every blog and gaming related website is going to report everything worth noting about what Nintendo reveals at E3 complete with links, photos, videos, etc. I am on the fence regarding their decision not to have a traditional conference this year, but some of you are talking as if no one but current fans and owners of their consoles will see this stuff. That is not going to be true at all.

Nintendo is coming with a list of game reveals and everyone is going to learn what those are. If it was 2007 instead of 2013 I might be singing a different tune, but it isn't.

All Nintendo has to do is show off some good looking games. The Xbone's restrictive policies has put a huge damper on my excitement for the other systems. Show me the cool games we already know are in development and a couple surprises, and I'll be excited.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

The video is going to be public.

Every game publication is going to cover it.

Any trailer Nintendo releases will be immediately on YouTube for everyone to watch, which is where the majority of people who do not watch the Nintendo Direct will see it.

People are being completely silly about this. Should Nintendo launch a major scale promotional campaign after the E3 announcement so everyone watching TV knows about the games? Unquestionably and any reservations would be a mistake. But how they are handling E3 is fine. People keep acting like if you read IGN you won't know anything what is going with Nintendo at E3. It's ridiculous.

Exactly. I swear some people forget what year it is. It's 2013, every single person with any interest in technology and gaming has a smart phone and would have to avoid the Internet on purpose to miss this stuff. I'm sure it will be on every tech/gaming site, definitely on twitter, all over tumblr, probably on their Facebook feed. Social media can be poo poo but it's fantastic for fast free marketing and information.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Katana Gomai posted:

For what it's worth, I do prefer the Nintendo Direct over a "regular" press conference. More often than not they're unwatchable and while it is correct that E3 sees (extremely limited) coverage in mainstream media and they're probably missing out on that, the result as far as gaming websites and other online sources are concerned will be the same because they have to cover it anyways. And I do think that whatever 3-minute blub the local news will run about E3 would have been dominated by the Xbone and the PS4 regardless.

Plus, the Directs are more efficient. If you have something prepared ahead of time, you know there won't be any gently caress-ups, you can have people watch and evaluate, and there's just a lot less downtime. You don't have to wait for everyone to get seated to start, you don't have to wait for people to get on and off the stage, it's just Trailer-Iwata-Trailer-Iwata-Reggie-Trailer-Iwata for a solid hour.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

Plus, the Directs are more efficient. If you have something prepared ahead of time, you know there won't be any gently caress-ups, you can have people watch and evaluate, and there's just a lot less downtime. You don't have to wait for everyone to get seated to start, you don't have to wait for people to get on and off the stage, it's just Trailer-Iwata-Trailer-Iwata-Reggie-Trailer-Iwata for a solid hour.
...and there still is some type of thing for retailers and media. I think the retailers get a private presentation (presumably with boring poo poo we don't care about) and the media gets their own time to play the stuff on the show floor.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It never ceases to amaze me how people interpret "The whole internet huddled around a stream of a pre-recorded video" as massively inferior and more obscure than "The whole internet huddled around a stream of a live event on a stage".

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well one has enthusiastic applause from paid employees.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If Nintendo has cool stuff we miss out on ridiculous fan reactions, we'll have to rely on an impossible to follow stream of quick posts instead.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The biggest problem with them doing a Direct instead of a regular press conference is that we can't possibly get a repeat of when they announced Wii Party and exactly one person in the entire theater clapped. That was pretty much my favorite moment of any E3 ever.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

japtor posted:

If Nintendo has cool stuff we miss out on ridiculous fan reactions, we'll have to rely on an impossible to follow stream of quick posts instead.

This reminds me to close the thread when it happens. Don't want to give everyone hundreds of white noise posts to read through. Was someone planning on making a Nintendo E3 thread?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Supercar Gautier posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how people interpret "The whole internet huddled around a stream of a pre-recorded video" as massively inferior and more obscure than "The whole internet huddled around a stream of a live event on a stage".

They can do the former whenever, but the latter is kind of a big deal in gaming and still gets attention. If the Wii U was doing gangbuster business, sure, do whatever is working. It's not, so why rely purely on a Nintendo Direct for this when that kind of marketing hasn't been super successful so far? They are fun to watch, but there's no reason not to do both.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

MassRafTer posted:

They can do the former whenever, but the latter is kind of a big deal in gaming and still gets attention. If the Wii U was doing gangbuster business, sure, do whatever is working. It's not, so why rely purely on a Nintendo Direct for this when that kind of marketing hasn't been super successful so far? They are fun to watch, but there's no reason not to do both.

I don't know, these E3 things seem to have become more associated with embarassment than appeal. They're meme machines.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Creepy Goat posted:

That's the only reason I own a WiiU (which is now gathering dust). £150 was impulse buy money.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

The kind of gamer that habitually watches all three conferences is not just going to go "WELP NOTHING TO WATCH FROM NINTENDO BECAUSE IT'S NOT ON A STAGE"- they're still going to watch the Direct.

As far as memes and gaffes go, there could still be some misfires in the video; there just won't be live bloopers or technical difficulties.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I mean Konami did the prerecorded thing and we got Transfarring. How they thought that was a good idea I still don't know. Nintendo isn't as likely to gently caress up that badly, but who knows people make accidentally assholes of themselves all the time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The bad part about the lack of live presentations is that they're not likely to accidentally reveal anything like they did last year (Fire Emblem).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Supercar Gautier posted:

The kind of gamer that habitually watches all three conferences is not just going to go "WELP NOTHING TO WATCH FROM NINTENDO BECAUSE IT'S NOT ON A STAGE"- they're still going to watch the Direct.

As far as memes and gaffes go, there could still be some misfires in the video; there just won't be live bloopers or technical difficulties.

There's plenty of people who get caught up in the stupid press conference discussions and the social media surrounding them. Things happening live have a different energy to them and a different level of interest. As long as the memes aren't about your horrible DRM scheme or cameras spying on your children, it's not really bad publicity either. If Reggie does something goofy and it gets people talking about the Nintendo conference, great. It's just another thing you can do to get attention and is kind of engrained in gaming. My main point is, there's really no reason to do both. However, I would wager that in fact there will be people who watch the Sony and Microsoft presentations and not the Nintendo Direct.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

What misfires :colbert:

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

japtor posted:

What misfires :colbert:

You forgot Miyamoto with the Poltergust. :colbert:

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

cool gifs?

Anyone know if we'll be seeing more of this game at e3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think the only way to really sell games is through tv ads, not E3 conferences or Directs, we got a poo poo load of 3DS ads here (Europe) and the result is that they all sell very well (Luigi's Mansion 2, DKCR, Fire Emblem Awakening, Pokemon Dungeon etc...)

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jun 10, 2013

• Locked thread