Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

This is clever.

^^^^^
Wasn't sure what it said so I ran it through google translate. Came out as "86% of sex workers are mothers".

Title is self-explanatory:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Poet John Sinclair and members of the Ann Arbor-based White Panther Party, later the Rainbow People's Party

Account_Username posted:

Wasn't sure what it said so I ran it through google translate. Came out as "86% of sex workers are mothers"
"86% of us sex workers are mothers. We need a law that regulates our work. www.ammar.org.ar" (Association of Female Prostitutes of Argentina)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 10, 2013

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Pretty much.

Slightly NSFW

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 18, 2014

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
Sweet, it's LotGH postin time?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So weird that days after starting to watch the series over again, the thread takes this turn.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

what is this like "the d&d'est show ever" or what, because i could swear that is anime

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Pobama posted:

That woman is not a human. Look at her dull, glazed eyes, her jerky unnatural movements. She is a homunculus, her soul long ago carved out.

“Bike Lobby!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-sIl0lNYfs

I've been using the Bikeshare program in DC for almost two years now, and according to the stats on my account I use it at least once a day on average. I don't take it to work (subway is faster), but a large chunk of the time that I run errands or go to see friends I use it. DC hasn't seemed terribly angry about BikeShare, and we've had an increasing number of bikelanes. The program is consistently expanding and neighbouring counties are buying into the program too, so it really seems a success overall. Given that there are hundreds of cities in the world with these, at least some of which must have very similar demographics/traffic/terrain/etc to NYC, you'd think people would be able to find examples of the program not resulting in shipping people off to gulags or sacrificing infants in bike lanes.

I ran into a New Yorker in DC over the holiday who was commenting on my pulling a Bikeshare off the rack, and he mentioned that in his neighborhood people had been screaming blue murder about how unsightly the racks were and how it totally destroyed the appearance of the neighborhood. Apparently this is big in Greenwich, so I googled up a picture of a typical neighborhood:

gently caress. You. Your "pristine" neighborhood is packed with cars up and down the length, but somehow you crane your neck over those and are appalled by a rack of a dozen blue bicycles? Of all methods of transportation, mine is the one cluttering our curbsides?

Anyway, here's a picture of Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, drawing parallels to Muhammad bin Qasim, the Arab general who brought Islam to what is now Pakistan in the 8th century.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
It gets better, here's a picture of one of the streets.

Yes, truly destroyed. Not since Dresden has such horror been wrought. I think if they could figure out how to wedge the Japanese into their complaints they could liken it to Hiroshima or the Rape of Nanking.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

http://obamaischeckingyouremail.tumblr.com/

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Gio posted:

what is this like "the d&d'est show ever" or what, because i could swear that is anime

Over in ADTRW we have a thread for Legend of Galactic Heroes.
It is also 9 years old, its THAT good. Also fight near blackholes, and fight with power-armors and axes :black101:

Map showing Space Germany (Empire), Space Merica (FPA Territories) and Space libertarians (Phezzan).

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

Over in ADTRW we have a thread for Legend of Galactic Heroes.
It is also 9 years old, its THAT good. Also fight near blackholes, and fight with power-armors and axes :black101:

I've been meaning to get into this, I've heard only good things and I want in. I guess the thread gives suggestions on the sort of places to find subs?
(also you say 9 years but the thread says closer to 19 so you might wanna check that)

meanwhile, Actual DND-related Content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiU6TxysCg

i always get kind of confused at illuminati conspiracy theories. A secret society, which spans the whole world and especially the leaders but also a bunch of other people, which is totally secret but also likes to tag its accomplishments?

EDIT: Tablebreaking again. I need to remember how big my monitor is...

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

NAME REDACTED posted:

(also you say 9 years but the thread says closer to 19 so you might wanna check that)

The thread is (nearly) 9 years old. OP was posted in '04.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

NAME REDACTED posted:

i always get kind of confused at illuminati conspiracy theories. A secret society, which spans the whole world and especially the leaders but also a bunch of other people, which is totally secret but also likes to tag its accomplishments?

If you want to get a handle on the mindset that gets into conspiracy theories, you can do a lot worse than reading the Illuminatus trilogy.

It's a lot of fun, but most of the jokes refer to actual real-world conspiracies that people believe in.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hey guys, we've got a forum for you to post animes in. This isn't it.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

prefect posted:

If you want to get a handle on the mindset that gets into conspiracy theories, you can do a lot worse than reading the Illuminatus trilogy.

It's a lot of fun, but most of the jokes refer to actual real-world conspiracies that people believe in.

I have a copy of the trilogy. It's a brick. I'm psyching myself up to reading it.

arhra posted:

The thread is (nearly) 9 years old. OP was posted in '04.

oh i seeee i get it now

I can't actually make out any of this image. What is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyFsqi_lA6w

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Account_Username posted:

^^^^^
Wasn't sure what it said so I ran it through google translate. Came out as "86% of sex workers are mothers".

Title is self-explanatory:

Uh, yeah, what Gazpacho said. Been reading more up on Latin America and that thing was just clever as heck.

Have 2 more:

And while digging through my pic folder I found this lil' gem of a thing:

I like to think the resemblance to Daria was intentional.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmnLYVNO5EE

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Kit Walker posted:

Is there, like, a difference between the media representation of chavs where ALL working class people are implied to be violent and unruly, while actual chavs are just a specific subculture, or is it something else?
[timg][/timg]

I've never heard of anyone, ever being a "self-identified chav", if that helps. In my school people in my friends group referred to other kids (basically all of the ones that weren't in some sort of goth/emo/nerd subculture, there weren't any rich kids in my school) as "chavs" but if they did it to their faces the kids would get incredibly offended. Even the ones who dressed in tracksuits constantly, as well as other stereotypical "chav" fashions, and were actually involved in street crime and/or carried knives to school. I've never heard anybody try to reclaim the word, in contrast to "redneck". Even the people who correctly identify it as a classist term tend to be either middle-class (like Jones) or people from a working-class background who are no longer best described as working-class themselves.

So my feeling is that your gf, much like me and my friends at school and even the people we were calling chavs, has internalized the concept and decided it only describes those other working-class people- when actually what constitutes that bad "other" is extremely amorphous. Of course there is a reality of working-class crime in the UK but it's much more helpful to try and view it the same way anti-racist groups in the US view inner-city crime and "gang-bangers" rather than trying to divide poor or black criminals into "the good ones" and "the bad ones".

UK comedians who have done alright out of the concept of chavs:

Weldon Pemberton fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 10, 2013

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

NAME REDACTED posted:

I have a copy of the trilogy. It's a brick. I'm psyching myself up to reading it.

Language-wise it's a very easy read. You may get rapidly tired of the juvenile political and gender views, or the "trying to be Thomas Pynchon on drugs" writing style however. I still enjoyed it, but in a few ways it's pretty dumb.

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

Weldon Pemberton posted:

UK comedians who have done alright out of the concept of chavs:

And a band that has done alright out of the concept of chavs: Blackout Crew with "Put a Donk on It!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckMvj1piK58

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
More from the Ann Arbor radical movement:

Free People's Clinic

Measuring at the People's Food Cooperative

Followup: The WPP delegate here is Pun Plamondon, in re defendant in a 1972 Supreme Court case which unanimously held that "The freedoms of the Fourth Amendment cannot properly be guaranteed if domestic security suveillances are conducted solely within the discretion of the Executive Branch, without the detached judgment of a neutral magistrate."

More stuff here.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 10, 2013

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Brother Jonathan posted:

And a band that has done alright out of the concept of chavs: Blackout Crew with "Put a Donk on It!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckMvj1piK58

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qg3rQfeZv4

Tulisa isn't really benefiting from it much at the moment though (to those outside the UK this is a singer who is also an X-Factor judge, she has been attacked for her class background and this has recently stepped up when she and a London-based rapper were caught out as coke dealers in a journalist sting):

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I've never heard of anyone, ever being a "self-identified chav", if that helps. In my school people in my friends group referred to other kids (basically all of the ones that weren't in some sort of goth/emo/nerd subculture, there weren't any rich kids in my school) as "chavs" but if they did it to their faces the kids would get incredibly offended. Even the ones who dressed in tracksuits constantly, as well as other stereotypical "chav" fashions, and were actually involved in street crime and/or carried knives to school. I've never heard anybody try to reclaim the word, in contrast to "redneck". Even the people who correctly identify it as a classist term tend to be either middle-class (like Jones) or people from a working-class background who are no longer best described as working-class themselves.

Yes, but there are groups of young people in England who dress in a certain way (tracksuits, Burberry, etc.). Whether they identify themselves as "chavs" or not, I don't know, but they do appear to be trying to connect themselves to some subculture, whatever they call it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Weldon Pemberton posted:

and/or carried knives to school.

Maybe it's my American upbringing here, but didn't everyone carry knives to school? I just mean little folding jobs like this:

I went to a nicer school, but I didn't know anyone from the athletes to the geeks who didn't carry something like this.

edit: Wait, that one says 'buck' on it. That's a fancy brand. Imagine that that was a Chinese knockoff instead and the blade occasionally fell off.

vvv: Yep, it was zero-tolerance all the way. They were just poo poo at enforcement.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 10, 2013

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Maybe it's my American upbringing here, but didn't everyone carry knives to school? I just mean little folding jobs like this:

I went to a nicer school, but I didn't know anyone from the athletes to the geeks who didn't carry something like this.
I'm guessing you didn't go to school under a zero tolerance regime.

He patted the top of his teacher's thigh after she said her legs were hurting.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Maybe it's my American upbringing here, but didn't everyone carry knives to school?

Well, at mine I only ever remember bringing butter knives for sandwiches and stanley knives for art occasionally. The few kids I'm talking about had the sharper kitchen knives and would tell you if you questioned them that it was because they couldn't risk being caught by someone from another "gang" (they were not really proper gangs as I grew up in a smallish town) or the "hard kids" from another school without one. Who knows if it was just bravado or not, but the UK has strict restrictions on selling kitchen knives to minors due to genuine cases of them being used in street crime.

As for the idea someone floated about the deliberate wearing of certain clothes to be part of a subculture- it depends, and some of the people that tried to do that tended to call themselves "gangsters", not chavs. From the outside they do tend to look like the same groups of people. But back then (I'm not sure about the trends now) it was widespread for regular kids to wear such outfits without perceiving themselves as similar in any way to the ones trying to cultivate such an image. For a couple of years (2002-4) tracksuits and Burberry-style prints were really popular with pretty much all younger teenagers who were not "alternative", at least where I lived. So to an extent, ordinary people were and are profiled for a certain style of clothing. Mostly this seems to happen in London and other places big enough to form real gang subcultures, though.

These things were definitely all the rage when I was about 13 and I can't imagine anyone seriously committing a crime in one (if only because it's like putting on a flashing neon sign while doing so):

Ed: As an aside my home town (Crewe) got called "chav capital of the UK" on the website chavscum.co.uk way back (it isn't now), but I'm pretty sure this is because one of the law lecturers at the local college was the webmistress (or so she claimed). Crewe isn't the world's greatest place, but the only way I could imagine people finding it notable for any reason is if they lived in one of the even smaller posh neighbouring towns and only had those to compare it to. The crime rates have never been remotely high during my lifetime.

Weldon Pemberton fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jun 10, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

No. I went to a rather mundane and average high school and no one carried knives with them.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Occupy the Kremlin!

Moscow tent camp, 1990. Series

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

And while digging through my pic folder I found this lil' gem of a thing:

I like to think the resemblance to Daria was intentional.

Poor guy's just excited to have finally let go of his prejudices unlike 99% of his male friends, and Faux Daria takes a giant poo poo all over him? Harsh.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?

"I fixed Shepard Fairey's Obama Poster to fit PRISM."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Soooo, a Norwegian CE store chain has just "renewed" itself and has a new ad campaign to reflect that.

Translation: "1432 of our good employees sadly had to quit. Many would probably have raised their prices. We decided to cut the costs and lower ours. WE WILL ROCK YOU! Welcome to the new Expert."

They also have an ad where they happily broadcast how much money they "saved" by result of their mass layoff. The response from people on Twitter is pretty much just as you'd expect: Outrage and complete bafflement.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 10, 2013

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Last night a dam in Saxony-Anhalt has burst. Several thousand people had to be evacuated.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 10, 2013

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
Speaking of the Illuminati, http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/texts/illuminati.html

"Neither Robison nor Barruel deny that the professed goal of the Order was to teach people to be happy by making them good — to do this by enlightening the mind and freeing it from the dominion of superstition and prejudice. But they refused to accept this at face value. Where Weishaupt and Knigge promoted a freedom from church domination over philosophy and science, Robison and Barruel saw a call for the destruction of the church. Where Weishaupt and Knigge wanted a release from the excesses of state oppression, Robison and Barruel saw the destruction of the state. Where Weishaupt and Knigge wanted to educate women and treat them as intellectual equals, Robison and Barruel saw the destruction of the natural and proper order of society." They seem pretty stand-up guys in general... Where do I join?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0XfNy5XI-A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLB8wysMbY

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2013/06/10/Egyptian-girl-dies-while-being-circumcised.html

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Volkel Air Base, located near the town of Uden, Noord-Brabant, in the Netherlands, where former Prime Minister Ruud Lubbers (1982-94) says nuclear bombs are stored on behalf of the USAF for use by the Royal Netherlands Air Force in the event of war. United States diplomatic cable leaks in 2010 revealed the presence of US nuclear bombs in the Netherlands but this is the first confirmation from a high ranking Dutch civil servant to acknowledge and give the location of their presence.

US nuclear bombs 'based in Netherlands' - ex-Dutch PM Lubbers

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Poor guy's just excited to have finally let go of his prejudices unlike 99% of his male friends, and Faux Daria takes a giant poo poo all over him? Harsh.

No, you see, he's only doing the minimum acceptable thing and it's not on the privileged person to tell the oppressed one that they are their ally, but to show it through action. And of course you are to be humble and silent.

That, as well as that the dude might just be talking the talk and not walking the walk, are what the defenders of that pic said, from what I remember. Valid points. Still a dick move to make.

I dig this one here, on this subject, a lot more: 6 rules for allies. Honestly, I've had off-putting experiences with feminism but every cause has a few d-bags, but you keep fighting the good fight anyway.

To go in a completely different direction:

ulvir posted:

Soooo, a Norwegian CE store chain has just "renewed" itself and has a new ad campaign to reflect that.

Translation: "1432 of our good employees sadly had to quit. Many would probably have raised their prices. We decided to cut the costs and lower ours. WE WILL ROCK YOU! Welcome to the new Expert."

They also have an ad where they happily broadcast how much money they "saved" by result of their mass layoff. The response from people on Twitter is pretty much just as you'd expect: Outrage and complete bafflement.
My Norwegian is still poo poo, so I thought I was misunderstanding that ad when I saw it. They already had massive minus points for using Queen for an ad (how cliché can you get?) but I literally couldn't believe my ears when this came up.
Nice to have confirmation I guess, that they really were that retarded. Where the hell would that kind of ad fly anyway?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Crasscrab posted:

Volkel Air Base, located near the town of Uden, Noord-Brabant, in the Netherlands, where former Prime Minister Ruud Lubbers (1982-94) says nuclear bombs are stored on behalf of the USAF for use by the Royal Netherlands Air Force in the event of war. United States diplomatic cable leaks in 2010 revealed the presence of US nuclear bombs in the Netherlands but this is the first confirmation from a high ranking Dutch civil servant to acknowledge and give the location of their presence.

US nuclear bombs 'based in Netherlands' - ex-Dutch PM Lubbers
And 65km south of Volkel Air Base is Kleine Brogel Air Base, in Belgium.

Guess what they have in common? That right, public secret American nukes!

• Locked thread