Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Nnep posted:

Also I don't think that the 'metal probe' mentioned earlier is going to do anyone any good. This thing was most likely buried at least a foot underground originally, who knows now. Unless you double as the mighty Thor as a day job you're not coming anywhere close. Even if it down poured all night. Even if you could don't buy metal online for god sakes, go to your nearest hardware store and buy a piece of rebar or some emt conduit + a tee.

Dude, you can get an 1/8-1/4'' metal rod pretty far into the ground if it's soft, aerated, moist soil, as park sod tends to be. Rebar is way too loving thick and ribbed for her pleasure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sizone posted:

Dude, you can get an 1/8-1/4'' metal rod pretty far into the ground if it's soft, aerated, moist soil, as park sod tends to be. Rebar is way too loving thick and ribbed for her pleasure.

Titanium! :science:

Steel is way cheaper, though. Here’s a ten pack for less than half the price.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 9, 2013

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Nnep posted:

I don't think all these google map overlays will get us anywhere. There may be some things hidden about in the images which have been stumbled upon already, but it won't take cutting edge GPS satellites to solve something created when they didn't exist. The best course of action is to get out near the places and landmarks that are our best leads and analyze the written clues/cross reference the pictures in the field. See where that takes you.

I agree - unless it's some easily recognizable shape like Ohio or on a small enough scale that is observable on foot, I don't think the author was expecting readers to map overlays (with rotation and resizing in some case) in order to solve the puzzle with the technology that was available in 1982. It's trivial for us to zip around on google maps until we find something close, but imagine trying to do the same sort of wide fit-and-match search using 1982 technologies. Transparencies? Overheard projectors? It would take forever.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Runes were around long before the 1980s.

While the unicode list was put together in the '90's they were all in existence before. This is just where they meet. So, maybe there something out there older than the 1990's with all three that I've missed, which is entirely possible. But, I don't think we need to become rune hunters, we found 3 that "work" even if we're not sure how just yet. Also, maybe we'll find something else that makes more sense totally non-rune related.

I also was thinking about the legeater and why we found it to be so prominent. I'm just wondering, if you were around the city and lived there, would that be an "obvious" thing to know about during your lifetime? If so, then it would make sense that he'd use it. It's so strange and odd looking that he must've known that using that feature would draw people to that area. Also, because St. Stephen's club is a historic building, it is/was unlikely to be torn down. So he'd know using a historic piece would ensure that for a few years the likelihood of it disappearing was lower than using something new, like a new swirly distinctive park bench installed in 1980 for example. That's my thinking anyway.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, my guess is the writer just traveled to Montreal and was looking for distinctive landmarks, and the legeater is pretty distinctive.

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

Sizone posted:

I suppose if we're talking like a thin metal dowel, but still considering the ground has to basically be in perfect condition (moist, soft, and loose) and many of these potential dig sites aren't necessarily golf course putting greens. It may be more trouble than it's worth after the 10th tree root/rock. It sounds like when the actual dig sites are presumed, there should be a pretty clear indication of where to dig. Worth a shot i guess!

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Sizone posted:

Someone else mentioned a four foot long dill bit. like this.

You'd have to be careful, but you should know when you hit something that isn't sod.

clockworx posted:

I agree - unless it's some easily recognizable shape like Ohio or on a small enough scale that is observable on foot, I don't think the author was expecting readers to map overlays (with rotation and resizing in some case) in order to solve the puzzle with the technology that was available in 1982. It's trivial for us to zip around on google maps until we find something close, but imagine trying to do the same sort of wide fit-and-match search using 1982 technologies. Transparencies? Overheard projectors? It would take forever.

I think the idea is that if you grew up or lived in the area, you'd say, "hey, that neckline sure looks like ...." We're using overlays because we're not familiar.

einTier fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 9, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
so im at mount stephens house now... let me get home and ill upload the pictures I took. fyi there are six legeaters and what looks to be the flower in that cask pic is plastered all over the building (goons will correct me if im wrong) give me ten hours or so...

edit: personal note, after seeing it in person, I feel we can rule out st.louis beyond a shadow of a doubt...

stab fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 9, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nnep posted:

I don't think all these google map overlays will get us anywhere. There may be some things hidden about in the images which have been stumbled upon already, but it won't take cutting edge GPS satellites to solve something created when they didn't exist. The best course of action is to get out near the places and landmarks that are our best leads and analyze the written clues/cross reference the pictures in the field. See where that takes you.

Also I don't think that the 'metal probe' mentioned earlier is going to do anyone any good. This thing was most likely buried at least a foot underground originally, who knows now. Unless you double as the mighty Thor as a day job you're not coming anywhere close. Even if it down poured all night. Even if you could don't buy metal online for god sakes, go to your nearest hardware store and buy a piece of rebar or some emt conduit + a tee.

Technologies such as onion paper and light tables were in common use before Photoshop. It would not surprise me in the least if the author thought people should be able to trace shapes and overlay them on maps.

Computer technologies are largely an automated extension of techniques that used to be done by hand. GPS and Photoshop allow us to do very quickly what would have been a pain in the rear end 30 years ago - but still doable by the average person.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, my guess is the writer just traveled to Montreal and was looking for distinctive landmarks, and the legeater is pretty distinctive.

they are not as distinctive as you think, they are super tiny and I can see why I never noticed them before

stab
Feb 12, 2003

did i say ten hours? i meant ten minutes!

load of pics incoming!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

clockworx posted:

Just want to remind you that maps did exist in 1982, which are aerial views of things, and that to do the fit-and-match you would only need one transparency and one image on the wall -- you change the size of the projected image on the overhead by moving the overhead closer or further from the wall (and if you can rotate a piece of paper, you can rotate a transparency). I agree that it's not worth going too crazy with, but it's also not far-fetched that he could have used a distinctive shoreline as a clue in the 80s.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

homullus posted:

Just want to remind you that maps did exist in 1982, which are aerial views of things, and that to do the fit-and-match you would only need one transparency and one image on the wall -- you change the size of the projected image on the overhead by moving the overhead closer or further from the wall (and if you can rotate a piece of paper, you can rotate a transparency). I agree that it's not worth going too crazy with, but it's also not far-fetched that he could have used a distinctive shoreline as a clue in the 80s.

The point I was trying to make was that the "time sink" of doing it in 1982 was far greater, and whether the author would have expected the reader to do so. It's trivial to zoom out to look for potential matches, zoom in, pan to get the viewable area correct, screenshot, increase transparency and overlay to an existing image - probably takes 20-30 seconds or so, and you can do it many times in a row pretty easily if you're not right the first time.

Running through the a batch of theoretical matches in 1982 isn't impossible, but would take a lot more time. You can't zoom in and out on a single view, your shoreline may be spread across multiple static pictures, you have to draw a transparency for each one, pin it up on a wall, and drag your projector around to "zoom".

Also, now that we're in the digital realm and you can churn through possibilities so fast, you're bound to eventually find something that is a reasonable match to a drawn curve in a picture, even if it is obscure enough that it would have taken hours or days to find using 1982 methods.

clockworx fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 9, 2013

Bloke
May 22, 2004

edit: forget it

Bloke fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 9, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

I work in the sunlife building fyi.

I checked out both squares. marie reine du mondes dome is directly across from the mcdonald statue, and theres three statues there as well. its a block and a half away from the legeaters.

there is also a flowerbed identical to the cleveland find in the square. but I cant find anything that lines up with the verses. ...

ohh and all the tiles on the ground match the checkerbox pattern...

stab fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 9, 2013

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I really hope its not in the square cause it was renovated over the last 4 years, but like I think it is.

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness

Guuse posted:

I'm not arguing against Montreal being one of the subjects of this treasure hunt. There are more general clues that point to it. For instance, fanpantstic posted this picture earlier showing the Lawrence river matching the line of the inner shirt collar before breaking away at the islands that we're talking about the cask being located:

The legeater doesn't seem like a thing that would draw a reader to Montreal in 1982. It's something that you'd see walking down the street only if you were looking for it. I mean, look at how far removed it is from the rest of the clues that we're discussing:

I apologize again for being poo poo at choosing tag colors. The legeater is at the GSH way at the bottom left of the picture.

I just posted asking a goon with camera and spade to go tromping off through the flower gardens on Ile Notre-Dame from the totem pole I found, so I'm hardy a skeptic of the idea that the cask is on the islands. But the legeater seems like a weird afterthought to me in this analysis. If all the clues we've found prove to be correct, it seems like the puzzle would be solved without involving the legeater at all.

That having been said:

Did you read the theory I posted a couple pages back about Verse 7 starting around Dorchester Square/Place du Canada?

edit: My Verse 7 theory is back on page 32... maybe start there and see where you go from the part that I wrote about relating to the John Macdonald statue?

Yeah, I really like the islands, but I'm certainly open to the idea that the cask could be elsewhere in Montreal. Has anyone found a silhouette/landscape of Mount Royal Park?

Honestly, I think that some of the clues we have matching the cask to the islands are a little iffy. I *can* see the 67 in the flower, but that wouldn't be my first guess, even thought it would be a very nice number to have. Also, I think that the expo clues could be pointing to Montreal in general, rather than being specific to the expo.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.

stab posted:

I work in the sunlife building fyi.

I checked out both squares. marie reine du mondes dome is directly across from the mcdonald statue, and theres three statues there as well. its a block and a half away from the legeaters.

there is also a flowerbed identical to the cleveland find in the square. but I cant find anything that lines up with the verses. ...

ohh and all the tiles on the ground match the checkerbox pattern...

I was super pumped about the sunlife building and the Place du Canada but I went there and couldn't match anything else to the picture out of all the landmarks there (and there are a lot).

I am a bit skeptic about the expo, sounds like a stretch but then again all the theories do.

I do agree though that matching the collar and the weird pattern in his hat could probably give us more solid clues. They do really look like the Oratory and Mount royal peaks to me but then again I am not sure.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

some pics of dorchester square

the interesting one is the fountain...look at the hollow part of it and compare it to the hat.

as well, its part of a statue of a lion lying down, dedicated to her SOVEREIGN queen victoria...does that fit a verse?

thanks tia

stab fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 9, 2013

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Nobody's mentioned Boston in awhile. What do the Q4T forums say about it? Also, who do I gotta sleep with to get access to those forums?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

stab posted:

the interesting one is the fountain...look at the hollow part of it and compare it to the hat.

as well, its part of a statue of a lion lying down, dedicated to her SOVEREIGN queen victoria...does that fit a verse?

thanks tia

Cool pics, but that info on the plaque that adds to 15 won't help since a lot of those buildings were built after '81-'82 and the plaque itself is from 2004.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

LargeHadron posted:

Nobody's mentioned Boston in awhile. What do the Q4T forums say about it? Also, who do I gotta sleep with to get access to those forums?

There are 93 pages on the image alone but I've been too busy to get more than a quarter through.

I was thinking about going out on my next day off to Copley and Harvard but that may be awhile.

I don't think that the hawk is getting enough attention. I have no idea why it is there but it seems like someone would have figured it out by now.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

MassaShowtime posted:

Cool pics, but that info on the plaque that adds to 15 won't help since a lot of those buildings were built after '81-'82 and the plaque itself is from 2004.

tell you the truth i didnt even notice that! :psyduck:

Guuse
May 11, 2009

stab posted:

thanks tia

Verse 2 has

Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!

The "palaces" could point to her being a Queen I suppose. Was she the Queen that granted Canada it's independence? If so then "sovereign" could refer both to her and the newly independent Canada.

Do either of the churches by Place du Canada have a bell tower? I'm wondering if maybe that would match the "sounds from the sky" in Verse 7. It kind of looks like St. George's does, but I can't tell for sure. It looks like there's a series of Xs on the roof of St. George's, too.

It would be pretty amazing if you ran across a series of dark bricks in the ground that matched the geometric shape in the square with the legeater.

Also, do you have any idea when the building across the street from the George Stephens Club was built?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Something I just noticed....

Saint Patricks Basillica, a few blocks north of Dorchester/Dominion square.

And it definitely has a bell tower.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Guuse posted:

Verse 2 has

Their heads for a night!

The "palaces" could point to her being a Queen I suppose. Was she the Queen that granted Canada it's independence? If so then "sovereign" could refer both to her and the newly independent Canada.
When exactly Canada became sovereign isn't well defined, but at the latest it could be 1982 when the Canada Act was signed. I don't know when the author buried the casks or wrote the book in relation to the publication date (which I also don't know exactly, other than sometime in 1982) but if the author interpreted the Canada Act as gaining sovereignty, the "sovereign people" could simply mean Canadians, and is just a reference to look in Canada, especially since it would have been in the news around that time.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Montreal (???)

Typh posted:

Montreal

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen much discussion on what I see as the most intentional outline in the painting, the stiff neck:

This is gonna sound really stupid, but... is anyone else getting really strong Liberty Bell vibes from this outline? That dark outer collar plus the shadow line running down the old lady's neck are SCREAMING "Liberty Bell + crack in Liberty Bell" at me, and have been for several days now.

----------------

Charleston

TotalHell posted:

Charleston folks, I know there is a monument to the HMS Seraph near the Citadel. This was part of the Seraph, is it part of the monument itself?

Because look at the arches and bolts on this thing, and then look at the bolts on the Sumter ornament and the arches of the mask.

I think you're definitely onto something here. That thing looks almost exactly like the mask in the picture, and those bolts do look like the eyes in the Fort Sumter Face.

Speaking of Fort Sumter, the last two lines in Verse 5...

Verse 5 posted:

Get permission
To dig out.

... make me think that Verse 5 is definitely the verse corresponding with Charleston, SC and Cask 2. Because it explicitly says to get permission to dig, and you would DEFINITELY need permission to dig anywhere at Fort Sumter. Because it is FORT loving SUMTER.

However, this does also raise the question "How would Preiss have been able to bury a cask at FORT loving SUMTER in the first place?". Without being arrested, that is. :raise:

----------------

Houston

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Houston

The inscription on the fountain is here:

Like maybe I'm being crazy and reaching, but I think this fountain is related both because of the way it looks and because the inscription is a Wordsworth quote from the collection "A Golden Treasury."

Maybe the '96' in "1964" corresponds with the '96' in the picture?

One other thing I think we're forgetting: Cultural themes found in Picture 4 were used to help find the location of Cask 4 -- in the case of Cask 4, those cultural themes were primarily Greek (centaur, Greek columns, Greek fountains, etc.).

Now, for Cask 8, we have a desert, lots of sand and sand dunes, some stone bricks on the ground, stone columns, and a Genie/Jinn/Djinn/whatever you want to call it. What culture in particular do all of these items point to?

Furthermore...

Verse 1 posted:

In December night
Looking back from treasure ground
There's the spout!
A whistle sounds.

(I don't know if the "In December night" part ties into this or not, so I included it anyway just in case.)

These lines lead me to think that once you find the spot where the cask is buried, you should be able to turn around 180 degrees and see (the 1982 location of) the SP982, or something else that would've had a spout and a whistle in 1982.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 10, 2013

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

LargeHadron posted:

I'm trying to get in myself. It's like you need an invite.

Houston

Again, I'd love to know why so many people thought the Houston cask was in the Zoo. I don't see any clues that point there.

Charleston -- ha ha, someone beat me to what I've thinking on all day. Oh Well.

Every time I look at the picture and verse 5, I get the impression it's in or very near Ft. Sumter. It's so prevalent in the photo (and what's with the star?) and that's obviously what it is. Anything that specific in any of the found cask pictures has been at or extremely near the burial site. Also, the last two lines are the only ones that reference needing permission to dig up a cask.

quote:

Get permission
To dig out.

If he buried it at Ft. Sumter, it would stand to reason that you'd really want to go asking for permission before you went digging for something buried in a National Park where you're likely to be discovered. It seems that all other prospective sites would be accessible under cover of darkness -- but not this one. It would also stand to reason that he might have asked for permission to dig from the Superintendent in 1981 -- who would also be likely to grant permission ("make sure they come ask for permission before they dig it up, ok?") and would know the basic location of the cask. Has anyone asked that guy about it?

It looks like this guy is who we should ask: John Tucker retires -- 2005.

quote:

chief ranger at Fort Sumter National Monument (which includes Fort Moultrie) from October 1977 to November 1980.

John returned to Fort Sumter as the superintendent in August 1989

einTier fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 10, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Guuse posted:

Verse 2 has

Their heads for a night!

Do either of the churches by Place du Canada have a bell tower? I'm wondering if maybe that would match the "sounds from the sky" in Verse 7. It kind of looks like St. George's does, but I can't tell for sure. It looks like there's a series of Xs on the roof of St. George's, too.

It would be pretty amazing if you ran across a series of dark bricks in the ground that matched the geometric shape in the square with the legeater.

Also, do you have any idea when the building across the street from the George Stephens Club was built?

its the YMCA across the street, and according to their website they moved there in 1911.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Houston

One other thing I think we're forgetting: Cultural themes found in Picture 4 were used to help find the location of Cask 4 -- in the case of Cask 4, those cultural themes were primarily Greek (centaur, Greek columns, Greek fountains, etc.).

Now, for Cask 8, we have a desert, lots of sand and sand dunes, some stone bricks on the ground, stone columns, and a Genie/Jinn/Djinn/whatever you want to call it. What culture in particular do all of these items point to?
My first thought is "Middle Eastern". I've already expressed my belief that the odd shaped stone standing on end in the background represents the middle section of Hermann Park. I also think the cask was buried near the SP982 because once you get some that specific in the poems, the treasure is close by.

What if he's just saying "it's buried in the middle east of the park", which coincidentally, is about where the SP982 was?

By the way, Episode 6 of Season 1 of Mega Movers has the move of the locomotive. I'm thinking there will be a lot of background footage that might be useful. They even have it on DVD, but none of the specialty stores in Austin have it nor does the library. :(

einTier fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 10, 2013

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

I think everyone should take a step back and analyze the best piece of evidence we have available, which basically breaks down one of the previous images completely. It's the best window into the writers thought process to leaving clues. Now given that each picture could be completely different we can't make the assumption that there is any type of concrete equation, but i believe this is our best tool to solving any of these.

As you notice there are very broad to specific clues that first put us in the general location (tower). Then at least in this particular example, there are more location specific clues that give you two street names. Bell + flower seems quite simple in hindsight, but perhaps goons in these locations can start to analyze street names more carefully (which may propose a problem since the 30 year gap). Then lastly there appears to be at least 3 exact location specific clues in the image, which may or may not be immediately apparent once in the exact area, or at least nearby. It's very easy to analyze something backwards and say it's so obvious, but i definitely think it's worth using our figurative answer key.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Nnep posted:

I think everyone should take a step back and analyze the best piece of evidence we have available, which basically breaks down one of the previous images completely. It's the best window into the writers thought process to leaving clues. Now given that each picture could be completely different we can't make the assumption that there is any type of concrete equation, but i believe this is our best tool to solving any of these.

Agreed. The numbers are always the lat/long of the city, or very close to it.

Then you have a bunch of generic things (notable landmarks in the background, maps) that tell you you're in the general vicinity. Then there's lots of stuff that says "these are all things you'll find when you're very close". One of those things will be something you'll find when you're right there.

The verse tells you how to get from the park entrance to a major landmark, then from the major landmark, to find the actual burial site.

Houston
gently caress, fuckity, gently caress, gently caress.

What if the cask was buried near the 982? What if it was buried at the old railway station that has now been demolished and rebuilt?

See that grey box next to the mini train? Does it look at all familiar? Like maybe the stone by the camel pillar?

einTier fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 10, 2013

stab
Feb 12, 2003

id kill for somebody to break down the mtl picture, the ones on the net reference st.louis in them...

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

einTier posted:

Charleston -- ha ha, someone beat me to what I've thinking on all day. Oh Well.

Every time I look at the picture and verse 5, I get the impression it's in or very near Ft. Sumter. It's so prevalent in the photo (and what's with the star?) and that's obviously what it is. Anything that specific in any of the found cask pictures has been at or extremely near the burial site. Also, the last two lines are the only ones that reference needing permission to dig up a cask.

If he buried it at Ft. Sumter, it would stand to reason that you'd really want to go asking for permission before you went digging for something buried in a National Park where you're likely to be discovered. It seems that all other prospective sites would be accessible under cover of darkness -- but not this one. It would also stand to reason that he might have asked for permission to dig from the Superintendent in 1981 -- who would also be likely to grant permission ("make sure they come ask for permission before they dig it up, ok?") and would know the basic location of the cask. Has anyone asked that guy about it?

It looks like this guy is who we should ask: John Tucker retires -- 2005.

My problem with Ft. Sumter is there's a lot in the Charleston picture that we haven't connected to that (the lion, the pear, the daisy/pine branch). The fairy could be a play on words for the ferry to get to Sumter. It also seems like too easy a solution. Ft. Sumter isn't a huge place, stick a map of Charleston and the outline of Ft. Sumter on a picture, give me the verse for the exact spot and call it a day. It seems way too easy. Maybe we're overthinking it and it really IS that easy, but there are both Sumter-related monuments and spots where you can see Ft. Sumter at other spots in Charleston.

Bard
May 18, 2007
A little of this, a little of that...

TotalHell posted:

My problem with Ft. Sumter is there's a lot in the Charleston picture that we haven't connected to that (the lion, the pear, the daisy/pine branch). The fairy could be a play on words for the ferry to get to Sumter. It also seems like too easy a solution. Ft. Sumter isn't a huge place, stick a map of Charleston and the outline of Ft. Sumter on a picture, give me the verse for the exact spot and call it a day. It seems way too easy. Maybe we're overthinking it and it really IS that easy, but there are both Sumter-related monuments and spots where you can see Ft. Sumter at other spots in Charleston.

Agreed. Fort Sumter is a small, plain place, and I don't see anything there using GIS that matches any of our other clues. The Cleveland one had scads of actual columns, statues, etc in the picture that were replicated near the cask. If somebody could go get some photos, that could help rule it out for sure.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Guys, I think I finally figured out what that wierd tree-branch shape on the left side of the Cask 8 painting is supposed to be...

It's a turned-around number '2'.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

crashdome posted:

In other news, I did find this today and like an idiot I didn't take a picture (pic not mine and only one I found on Internet):

I passed RIGHT BY IT when I did my trek along Lincoln Memorial last week and missed it entirely because I was focused on looking for birch trees in the tree line and then wandered over to the flag pole.

Still can't see how it fits yet, it is pretty much the only "compass" I have found and the building in the background is Villa Terrace.

This shows up in the 1995 aerial view on the county maps but I am pretty sure it was built in the early 90's or at the earliest, the late 80's. If you go by it again check the concrete. Generally there is a date stamp on one end or the other with the year.

Bard
May 18, 2007
A little of this, a little of that...
Cask #2 - Charleston

OK, idea here. I was googling pears and came up with a wikipedia entry that says "The place name Perry and Pharisoulopol can indicate the historical presence of pear trees." And there IS a Perry St in Charleston. What's more, it intersects with (Fort) Sumter St. And at that intersection is an area of tree-covered land with a "no trespassing" sign on it. (Get permission?) Looks like there's a church nearby, and the land behind it might be a cemetery. There's an iron fence back there and who knows what else? The church itself has windows that are vaguely like the shapes on the large mask.

Google Maps

Might be worth a look if anybody can get in there!!

Edit: No pine trees nearby, but anything might have fallen down in Hurricane Hugo

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

Neutrino posted:

Milwaukee

This shows up in the 1995 aerial view on the county maps but I am pretty sure it was built in the early 90's or at the earliest, the late 80's. If you go by it again check the concrete. Generally there is a date stamp on one end or the other with the year.

I'll try and do that. When I saw it, I was in a hurry to get somewhere. It got me very excited but, the problem is that there are no culverts directly near it and no obvious "grand 200". I mean, it should be obvious for the rest of the clues but, I just don't see any along the lake front except the multitude of bridges, culverts, and staircases. Which I also had a thought... what if he meant 1,000 and 200? (i.e. 1200)

Has any Milwaukee goon got into the Q4T forum yet? If not, I could probably be one to pour over the pages of discussion because I bus a lot in the summer and nothing better for me to do for 30-40 mins at a pop than read.

edit: Also, my stepfather loves harpsichords and he thinks there is something in the Art Museum. I'll admit, I've been there a few times over the years but, never remembered anything of the permanent collection. I do want to get to Villa Terrace though. At least I will ask them how many steps there are.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah I'd be willing to read through all the Montreal stuff if I can get access to the Q4T threads.