Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

js86
Jul 22, 2012
My first Lakland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Noise Machine posted:

Girlfriend saw we were doing errands right by a Guitar Center. She suggest I go in and try a few acoustic guitars since I've never had a real one. (I had an ovation for about 2-3 years, it wasn't a real acoustic...) about an hour later I walk out of the store with this:

I love my LXM so much. Cheap, loud, decent low end, and since it's basically all plastic you don't need to worry about banging it around at the beach or whatever.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/msg/3863486072.html

But I don't HAVE $200! :(

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I love my LXM so much. Cheap, loud, decent low end, and since it's basically all plastic you don't need to worry about banging it around at the beach or whatever.

I restrung it last night with John Pearson strings and I really like the sound out of it now. It sounded better than a lot of the full-size guitars I was trying in that price range too. I call it "The Formica Guitar" now.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Cross posting from the bass thread:

New bass day- foraying back into both a 6 string (first time in 10 years) and a fretted (first time in...much longer), got it for a song. Upgraded Barts+preamp, plays incredibly well, sounds great- still think that my fretless will be primary (Lakland 55-02 5) but enjoying it thusfar

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002
Finally got my guitar hanger put up. The spacing of the studs in my modular home made it a weird fit on the wall for hangers alone, so I had to get creative. I had room on the mounting board for a fourth hanger but that's a bass guitar and I was afraid it would be too heavy. After putting it all up I'm not so sure, the mounting is pretty rock solid and holds all the guitars easily. More pics and a description can be found here.

7.62WorldOrder fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 14, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Re-post from the PYF Recent Purchases thread because I almost forgot this thread existed for a hot second (haven't bought any new gear in a few months :v: ):

Fender Mustang 1 20w Amp

Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive Pedal

Honestly, I wasn't even going to get the amp. I went to Guitar Center with a bag of gear to trade in and I was just expecting to walk out with a new overdrive pedal. But then when I saw the amount of credit I got, the 10% off I'd get on the highest-priced item when trading in towards it and how cheap these 2 were together, I couldn't resist.

It was much needed anyway, because I didn't already own an amp. I was just playing through studio monitors connected to an audio interface before.

I'm having lots of fun with it already :D

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

7.62WorldOrder posted:

Finally got my guitar hanger put up. The spacing of the studs in my modular home made it a weird fit on the wall for hangers alone, so I had to get creative. I had room on the mounting board for a fourth hanger but that's a bass guitar and I was afraid it would be too heavy. After putting it all up I'm not so sure, the mounting is pretty rock solid and holds all the guitars easily. More pics and a description can be found here.

I've been playing music for 20 years now and seeing a left-handed guitar still makes my head explode.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
A left-handed Les Paul just looks so...wrong

Mind you, if I had the choice between Left handed or no Les Paul, I'd still rock it.

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002
Legit lefty Standard Les Pauls are ridiculous in price ($3,700 new from Musician's Friend), especially for the horror stories I hear about Gibson's QA these days. Have to settle for the Agile, but it's a good guitar for the price ($400).

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Gibson's QC isn't any more or less awful, really. I've had my hands on maybe a dozen new Gibsons in the past few months and all were great.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
gently caress yeah lefties

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Gibson's QC isn't any more or less awful, really. I've had my hands on maybe a dozen new Gibsons in the past few months and all were great.

I can never actually put my hands on a lefty Gibson Les Paul to verify the quality for myself, I've never even seen a music store with one in stock. Most stores usually carry a tiny section of bottom-dollar lefties in either red or black only, then complain that they're not selling (because lefties don't want crap either) and remove them from inventory.

EndoplasmicReticle
Nov 10, 2012

One on the bottom. Been waiting to get a hardware sampler since I was about 10 years old, and finally found a good quality, full expanded (except for the FX unit) Akai S3000XL on ebay for a pretty decent price considering how expensive music equipment goes for in my country. LCD is a bit dark but you'd have to expect from a 17-18 year old, 2nd hand studio gear. Currently figuring out the perfect FX chain to run from it (so far just have a mini kaoss pad and a Roland Space Echo (Guitar pedal version), considering getting a few Boss Delay and Distortion pedals though) until I expand the FX. However since I've been using DAW's for years and years with no real access to hardware I'm still sort of finding my feet, much prefer this flow to everything being on one LCD screen though.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

7.62WorldOrder posted:

I can never actually put my hands on a lefty Gibson Les Paul to verify the quality for myself, I've never even seen a music store with one in stock. Most stores usually carry a tiny section of bottom-dollar lefties in either red or black only, then complain that they're not selling (because lefties don't want crap either) and remove them from inventory.
A buddy of mine is a lefty and has a thing for Les Pauls so I've gotten to see quite a few.
I think they're overall of slightly higher quality than the average, we've both chalked it up to their being more out of the ordinary so they get a little more attention paid to them during manufacture.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Babby's first stratocaster. Or, well, I had a Squier Hello Kitty strat for a while 6 years ago, but I don't think it counts. Bought this from a buddy of mine and the exact model eludes me at the moment. It's awesome, though.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Fit it with one of these CF upgrade-kits.
It combines the best of two worlds and it makes swapping samples between different devices so much easier.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

tehschulman posted:

gently caress yeah lefties

Hell, I'm left handed and still can't wrap my head around actually trying to play left handed, it just feels so wrong.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Cross posting from the bass thread:

New bass day- foraying back into both a 6 string (first time in 10 years) and a fretted (first time in...much longer), got it for a song. Upgraded Barts+preamp, plays incredibly well, sounds great- still think that my fretless will be primary (Lakland 55-02 5) but enjoying it thusfar

6 string bass power hour? :woop:

Sorry for the badly saturated picture, my camera is getting up there in years!

I've had this bass for a little while now, but it's my most recent purchase so it still counts. I had never used a 6 string bass before this one, but I had dabbed in 5 strings a few times. I started hanging out with some funk/jazz dudes recently and they recommended me to try and start playing a 6 string bass. I went with this Peavey Grind Bass because I had played the 5 string equivilant of it before and I really liked it (I also love their amps). I have to say this thing is pretty drat good, especially for the price. I had to adjust the action quite a bit and one of the knobs came loose right out of the package and had to be re-tightened, but other than that it's a great bass. The sound is great all across the board (heh) and the whole construction feels very solid.

I've had this thing for about two months now and I don't think I can ever go back to playing 4 string basses because they now feel like skinny playthings in my hand. :(

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Sjoewe posted:

It combines the best of two worlds and it makes swapping samples between different devices so much easier.

Would these work in an older MPC as well?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

DrChu posted:

Would these work in an older MPC as well?

The guy running the website is really helpful, just shoot him an email and he'll tell you if/what kit there's available for your model.
If anyone's interested, I have a box full of old SCSI gear compatible to old AKAI hardware, including a ZIP-drive, a CD-RW, cables etc, I'm willing to give away to anyone that'll pay for the shipping costs.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Which old Akai hardware?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Tried and tested on my S5000, but it should work with any AKAI device with a SCSI-port.

EndoplasmicReticle
Nov 10, 2012

Sjoewe posted:

Yeah I've actually been thinking about that, although I may end up just connecting an old SCSI hard drive or something to the back port, haven't entirely looked into it yet. Compact flash would probably be a lot quieter and easier to access, though. Thanks for the link!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
From the guitar thread. I got a free Silvertone and it still plays fairly well.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hey, add a pic of the zero fret, would you?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Warcabbit posted:

Hey, add a pic of the zero fret, would you?

Just for you :)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Serious question. How do you play open chords on something with a zero fret? Does it work?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Warcabbit posted:

Serious question. How do you play open chords on something with a zero fret? Does it work?

One way to look at it is a standard nut has 2 jobs: securing the string from side to side movement and setting height for open strings. A guitar with a zero fret just separates those jobs; the nut prevents lateral motion and the zero fret sets string height.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Except that nut looks higher than the zero fret so it looks like it's setting string height too.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

nrr posted:

Except that nut looks higher than the zero fret so it looks like it's setting string height too.

You should have seen it before. :hfive:

Believe me, you can tell when the nut is holding the string height over the middle fret. It produces quite a distinct "double note" kind of buzz. I need to file the small E string some more because it's the only one that still does it.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

nrr posted:

If that's the case then I'm assuming there are some intonation issues as a result, since the distance between nut and first fret is longer than the distance between zero fret and first fret (which would be the same as between nut and first fret on a standard guitar). I think that's also the main knock against zero frets in general, as the zero fret will wear quickly and cause buzzing, etc.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I was thinking 'if that works how I think it does, we're talking a recipe for serious string buzz.'

Still, could be interesting to try it on a guitar with stainless frets. What's the _advantage_ of one?

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Reduced production cost is really the only advantage.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

JD posted:

No, some would say the tone is more consistent, since open strings would sound more like fretted strings, i.e. both resting on a fret. I personally think this would only be noticeable when you're playing bass and have a pretty clanky tone but it takes all kinds.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
My 2012 SG Special Faded arrived today.

Used, $550 total and in excellent condition with the plastic still applied. By excellent condition, I mean loving mint. I just spent the last two hours giving it a serious thrashing and my only issue with it so far is that it makes me want to sell the rest of my guitars. It's gonna be tough locking her away so I can get some studying done.

e; And apparently it has managed to transcend our plane of reality through interdimensional travel because it just popped back up on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-SG-Special-Faded-Worn-Brown-Electric-Guitar-w-bag-/370837177799?pt=Guitar&hash=item56579e45c7

treat fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 18, 2013

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

JD posted:

You can use any gauge of strings you want without needing to file the nut, as the zero fret sets the string height correctly. You can also avoid the strings binding in the nut when tuning causing "jumps" in pitch.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

treat posted:

My 2012 SG Special Faded arrived today.

Used, $550 total and in excellent condition with the plastic still applied. By excellent condition, I mean loving mint. I just spent the last two hours giving it a serious thrashing and my only issue with it so far is that it makes me want to sell the rest of my guitars. It's gonna be tough locking her away so I can get some studying done.

e; And apparently it has managed to transcend our plane of reality through interdimensional travel because it just popped back up on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-SG-Special-Faded-Worn-Brown-Electric-Guitar-w-bag-/370837177799?pt=Guitar&hash=item56579e45c7

That's a rad guitar man. I've been spending a lot of time with my SG Firebrand lately and I think an SG might be the most comfortable design of any guitar I've played. They're so fun to play and they sound amazing with any amount of gain from light overdrive to walls of sludge.

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.

:woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop: :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

That's a rad guitar man. I've been spending a lot of time with my SG Firebrand lately and I think an SG might be the most comfortable design of any guitar I've played. They're so fun to play and they sound amazing with any amount of gain from light overdrive to walls of sludge.
while SGs are rad, don't forget the first rule of SGs: get strap locks.