Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It looks like that map only shows county-level laws. There are cities with blue laws that aren't shown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

withak posted:

It looks like that map only shows county-level laws. There are cities with blue laws that aren't shown.

Yeah, Cook County is yellow but Chicago is hardly a restrictive city for alcohol

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Emanuel Collective posted:

Yeah, Cook County is yellow but Chicago is hardly a restrictive city for alcohol

Chicago actually allows precincts to vote to ban liquor sales, and there are a bunch of dry ones.

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 9, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah I'm curious about what qualifies as yellow too, my county is yellow and I can't recall any restrictions. We have drive thru liquor stores there, it's not exactly restrictive.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
I'm originally from a yellow county on that map, and presumably what it means there is that there are dry towns within the county but not county-wide or anything. Outside of the usual PA thing with pretty strict rules on alcohol sales: beer can usually only be sold by the full case at dedicated beer stores and everything else is from state-run stores. But since parts of PA are blue that doesn't count in itself.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Christ, if you live in the middle of the southern border of KY, you are pretty much hosed trying to buy booze, aren't you? Even the first few counties you cross over into in TN are dry.

It's not uncommon for a chuches in "moist" counties in TN to apply for the limited number of liquor licenses available from the county government and then sit on them - preventing anyone else from obtaining them.

Just in the past few years were you able to buy Jack Daniels at the Jack Daniels distillery, but it's only stuff like single barrel or gentleman jack in $80 collector bottles.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.

Terex posted:

That seems so backwards, especially since there are still dry counties to this day, many of which seem to be in the same areas (like North Carolina).

Red are dry counties, yellow are mixed and blue are wet.

I grew up in what should be a yellow county and being "moist" meant that the county controlled alcohol. Liquor could only be sold by the county, you had to purchase it from a county run liquor store. Beer and wine could be sold by "any" store. However, you had to have a license and only one per chain could have a beer and wine license. In a county of nearly a million, only one of each chain grocery and convenience store sold alcohol. All of the beer and wine sold by licensed stores had to be purchased from the county, they could not directly buy from distributors.

Overall, beer and wine prices weren't really any different from nearby counties that were fully wet. Liquor prices could be a couple dollars more expensive but there were month long sales (that could also be looked up online, sometimes product inventory) that were almost always cheaper than buying from a regular liquor store in a wet county. You could get some pretty good deals.

The county run liquor stores are great to work for. You get an easy retail job, you have more authority than a normal liquor store to deny people, many are sleazy and will sell to anyone who has money because gently caress it, and get government benefits. Getting hired is guaranteed 32 hours a week and ~$16/hour plus good benefits. After a year, you take the inventory test from this huge gently caress off book and should you pass, you are full time, get overtime for over 40 (rare), pay is about $20/hour, and full benefits. It's a pretty sweet gig for working in a liquor store.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

GreenCard78 posted:

I grew up in what should be a yellow county and being "moist" meant that the county controlled alcohol. Liquor could only be sold by the county, you had to purchase it from a county run liquor store. Beer and wine could be sold by "any" store. However, you had to have a license and only one per chain could have a beer and wine license. In a county of nearly a million, only one of each chain grocery and convenience store sold alcohol. All of the beer and wine sold by licensed stores had to be purchased from the county, they could not directly buy from distributors.

Overall, beer and wine prices weren't really any different from nearby counties that were fully wet. Liquor prices could be a couple dollars more expensive but there were month long sales (that could also be looked up online, sometimes product inventory) that were almost always cheaper than buying from a regular liquor store in a wet county. You could get some pretty good deals.

The county run liquor stores are great to work for. You get an easy retail job, you have more authority than a normal liquor store to deny people, many are sleazy and will sell to anyone who has money because gently caress it, and get government benefits. Getting hired is guaranteed 32 hours a week and ~$16/hour plus good benefits. After a year, you take the inventory test from this huge gently caress off book and should you pass, you are full time, get overtime for over 40 (rare), pay is about $20/hour, and full benefits. It's a pretty sweet gig for working in a liquor store.

Just out of curiousity, where was this? I don't doubt you I'm just amazed. I've done skilled labor as a locomotive mechanic and I've been a manager in charge of an 8 man crew and I've never made $15 on hour let alone 20. Then again I live in MS perhaps that's the problem.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Montgomery County, Maryland. You ever hear the quasi-joke that becoming a trashman is the hood's dream because it pays decent plus benefits? It's like that times a thousand to get the position.

I live in a different part of the state and make $12/hour to manage 30-60 people. I feel your pain. :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

BIG HORNY COW posted:

It's not uncommon for a chuches in "moist" counties in TN to apply for the limited number of liquor licenses available from the county government and then sit on them - preventing anyone else from obtaining them.

That's really a thing they can do? Like, they don't have to prove they're going to make use of the license or some poo poo?

Terex
Jan 2, 2013
The alcohol map I posted was from the Wikipedia page for prohibition, I have no idea how they made it.

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Just out of curiousity, where was this? I don't doubt you I'm just amazed. I've done skilled labor as a locomotive mechanic and I've been a manager in charge of an 8 man crew and I've never made $15 on hour let alone 20. Then again I live in MS perhaps that's the problem.

I think it's that you live in MS, in Alberta the average salary for a mechanic is 30$/hour.

To contrast, the following link has Canada. The current exchange rate is 0.98 CAD/USD.

http://globalnews.ca/news/370804/income-by-postal-code/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I only see 5 dark blue states. Am I missing something like DC being counted?

I hope so beccause doing some quick addition, the map thinks there are 51 states.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Mister Adequate posted:

That's really a thing they can do? Like, they don't have to prove they're going to make use of the license or some poo poo?

Not having the licences used is probably the desired outcome for all parties involved.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Soviet Commubot posted:

What exactly can yellow mean here? I grew up in a yellow county (Gratiot, Michigan) and the only restrictions I remember are no sales between 2AM and maybe 8AM and no sales before noon on Sunday. Is it just stuff like that?

I suspect that's how it seems to be for the most of the places of Michigan I've visited. Oh whats with the lone county in South Dakota?

BTW nice to see a person from where my Mom's home county hails from.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
I know some of the counties in Pennsylvania let towns and Burroughs decide to allow the sale of alcohol or not. That's why there's a lot of yellows in the state.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh whats with the lone county in South Dakota?

Reservations tend to be really strict regarding alcohol, that particular county is entirely within the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I'm curious about what qualifies as yellow too, my county is yellow and I can't recall any restrictions. We have drive thru liquor stores there, it's not exactly restrictive.

Brew-thrus. :colbert:

But only when the devil is beating his wife.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Soviet Commubot posted:

What exactly can yellow mean here? I grew up in a yellow county (Gratiot, Michigan) and the only restrictions I remember are no sales between 2AM and maybe 8AM and no sales before noon on Sunday. Is it just stuff like that?

Virginia Beach City (fun fact: incorporated cities in Virginia exist as their own legal entities and are not a part of any county) is listed as blue, but theres a midnight to 6AM restriction on sales.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Terex posted:

The alcohol map I posted was from the Wikipedia page for prohibition, I have no idea how they made it.

I think it's that you live in MS, in Alberta the average salary for a mechanic is 30$/hour.

To contrast, the following link has Canada. The current exchange rate is 0.98 CAD/USD.

http://globalnews.ca/news/370804/income-by-postal-code/

Their map of Ottawa seems a bit off given that as a city it has the highest medium income in the country yet beyond the suburbs no one seem to have a huge income.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'd like to see the median income rather than per capita. The East Coast presumably has a lot of people (in the financial sector, for example :argh:) making obscene amounts of money, which brings up the average. And the cost of living is much higher there, as well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TinTower posted:

Brew-thrus. :colbert:

Never heard the term brew-thru in Ohio. :colbert: They didn't have a special name. I remember a couple people calling them DUI-thrus.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah, CT being dark red on that map is BS. Everyone I know around here calls them grinders.

Here's the original dialect map for sandwiches: http://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_64.html

Here's where everyone calls them grinders:

The fact that drive-thru liquor stores exist anywhere blows my mind. The whole concept sounds like a punch line.

I was eager to see they had a language map for sandwiches.

Up here in Maine, I'm convinced the name of this sandwich (cold cuts on a long sandwich bun) is primarily called "Italian". You see them referenced this way everywhere, and I can't recall seeing them referred to as "Grinder", ever.

But "Italian" doesn't show up on the map. Bummer!

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I'd like to see the median income rather than per capita. The East Coast presumably has a lot of people (in the financial sector, for example :argh:) making obscene amounts of money, which brings up the average. And the cost of living is much higher there, as well.

The results are very similar for median income by state. The important point is the second one you made- the cost of living tends to be high on the East Coast, which means that the gap between it and other regions isn't quite as large as unadjusted numbers would suggest.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

redshirt posted:

I was eager to see they had a language map for sandwiches.

Up here in Maine, I'm convinced the name of this sandwich (cold cuts on a long sandwich bun) is primarily called "Italian". You see them referenced this way everywhere, and I can't recall seeing them referred to as "Grinder", ever.

But "Italian" doesn't show up on the map. Bummer!

If you click through the page has several maps with various words represented in various colors. This is the "Italian sandwich" map, and Maine is indeed heavily represented:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Elim Garak posted:

If you click through the page has several maps with various words represented in various colors. This is the "Italian sandwich" map, and Maine is indeed heavily represented:

Cool! Thanks for the find. I'm not crazy.

Now, why they're called Italians, I'm not sure. It might be the impact of one local, long standing chain store - Amato's.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Crowsbeak posted:

Oh whats with the lone county in South Dakota?

All the land in that county is a part of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, which has voted to be dry due to the massive alcohol abuse problems among their population. It's one of the worst places in America, here are some stats from Wikipedia:

quote:

As of 2011, population estimates of the reservation range from 28,000 to 40,000. Numerous enrolled members of the tribe live off the reservation.[58]
80% of residents are unemployed (versus 10% of the rest of the country);
49% of the residents live below the Federal poverty level (61% under the age of 18);
Per capita income in Shannon County is $6,286;
The Infant Mortality rate is 5 times higher than the national average;
Native American amputation rates due to diabetes is 3 to 4 times higher than the national average;
Death rate due to diabetes is 3 times higher than the national average; and
Life Expectancy in 2007 was estimated to be 48 for males and 52 for females[59]

Did I mention that even though the reservation is supposed to be dry, there is a town of 14 people just across the border in Nebraska that sells 4.9 million cans of beer a year? Yeah.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Konstantin posted:

All the land in that county is a part of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, which has voted to be dry due to the massive alcohol abuse problems among their population. It's one of the worst places in America, here are some stats from Wikipedia:

Did I mention that even though the reservation is supposed to be dry, there is a town of 14 people just across the border in Nebraska that sells 4.9 million cans of beer a year? Yeah.

"According to the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission, beer sales at Whiteclay's four liquor stores totalled 4.9 million cans in 2010 (~13,000 cans per day) for gross sales of $3 million."

Four liquor stores.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

prefect posted:

"According to the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission, beer sales at Whiteclay's four liquor stores totalled 4.9 million cans in 2010 (~13,000 cans per day) for gross sales of $3 million."

Four liquor stores.

quote:

A significant part of Whiteclay's economy is based on alcohol sales to residents of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation

Yeah, you don't say :stare:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Meme Emulator posted:

Virginia Beach City (fun fact: incorporated cities in Virginia exist as their own legal entities and are not a part of any county) is listed as blue, but theres a midnight to 6AM restriction on sales.

I don't think that restrictions like that count. If they did, all of CA would be yellow because state law prohibits sales between 2am and 8am, as would all other states with similar rules.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

redscare posted:

I don't think that restrictions like that count. If they did, all of CA would be yellow because state law prohibits sales between 2am and 8am, as would all other states with similar rules.

I'd have thought that map was of each county according to whether the county itself had any restrictions on the sale of alcohol in addition to state laws. So blue is "same laws as the state", yellow is "laws more strict in this county than in the rest of the state" and red is "alcohol sales prohibited in this county".

Would there be any counties on the map that definitely would not match up with?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Reveilled posted:

I'd have thought that map was of each county according to whether the county itself had any restrictions on the sale of alcohol in addition to state laws. So blue is "same laws as the state", yellow is "laws more strict in this county than in the rest of the state" and red is "alcohol sales prohibited in this county".

Would there be any counties on the map that definitely would not match up with?

Looking at Wikipedia this seems to be the case. Stores with a special licence in Michigan can sell before noon on Sundays but counties and cities can restrict that if they want to, which most of the counties I lived did if memory serves.

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!
That liquor laws map is a major thought provoker. I really want to know what's up with Litchfield County in CT. There must be some town that restricts alcohol since I grew up there and I thought everyone followed the state law since county-level government doesn't exist.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Lord Hawking posted:

That liquor laws map is a major thought provoker. I really want to know what's up with Litchfield County in CT. There must be some town that restricts alcohol since I grew up there and I thought everyone followed the state law since county-level government doesn't exist.

According to wikipedia Bridgewater (pop. 1,898) in Litchfield county is the only dry town left in CT.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Konstantin posted:

:stare: I knew life on Reservations was bad, but those numbers are like what I would expect of the worst parts of Zimbabwe. Seriously what the hell is wrong with this country? Although I'll gladly use these stats when ever some libertarian racist shitheel says they don't deserve what little the Feds give them.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 11, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

:stare: I knew life on Reservations was bad, but those numbers are like what I would expect of the worst parts of Zimbabwe. Seriously what the hell is wrong with this country? Although I'll gladly use these when ever some libertarian racist shitheel says they don't deserve what little the Feds give them.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that Pine Ridge is by far the worst reservation. But yes the reservations are mostly awful places and it's a shame no one knows about it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Crowsbeak posted:

:stare: I knew life on Reservations was bad, but those numbers are like what I would expect of the worst parts of Zimbabwe. Seriously what the hell is wrong with this country? Although I'll gladly use these stats when ever some libertarian racist shitheel says they don't deserve what little the Feds give them.

If it's anything like way too many Canadian reservations, it's because they have rampant substance abuse problems that basically nobody will ever do anything about because it's mostly our fault and we don't want to admit it, they have massive levels of unemployment and are miles away from anywhere with a growing economy or valuable land since these were the places we were going to let them keep, they have little to no control over their finances and no leverage to induce additional government spending, the governments are corrupt as all hell because they have no accountability to the band membership and the higher authorities don't want get bogged down sorting things out, and continue to suffer discrimination at the hands of non-natives outside their reservations.

It's a goddamned tragedy, and I doubt it's about to get fixed any time soon. As always of course, there are big exceptions to that description.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

eSports Chaebol posted:

Chicago actually allows precincts to vote to ban liquor sales, and there are a bunch of dry ones.

Sure you can buy alcohol on the South Side, as long as you're white! That line down Western is pretty ridiculous.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crowsbeak posted:

Reservations are unique in that they're technically separate entities (like states are) so they don't get any revenue from the state they happen to be in. And the feds don't really care that much about them.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

menino posted:

Sure you can buy alcohol on the South Side, as long as you're white! That line down Western is pretty ridiculous.

You know the vote is within the precinct right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

A fun look at population density in the Arab League, and a comparison to the continental US in land area.