Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I don't normally shoot sports (for that matter, I usually couldn't give two shits about them), but my boss took me to an IFL game. With badass seats (corporate box just behind the goal post), so why not take my camera?

Caught the beginnings of a fight:

The best photo I got didn't have any action at all - caught this during halftime:

D5100 with a 35mm f/1.8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe

Gazmachine posted:

They need to let you shoot ringside: it's pointless otherwise.

Love your shots dude, funnily enough I'm now filming video for them ringside! Hopefully I'll be able to get in there everynow and then with my camera as I got a 18-55mm constant 2.8 for lovely variety

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I shot a few pictures for an article in a norwegian football magazine in January. Not all of them made the article, but I'm fan of these three:

Lyn-trening by azathosk, on Flickr

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Love the wrestling shots!

I don't regret leaving the real camera at home today and actually paying attention to the events, but horse racing would be drat fun for easy and interesting panning shots with an abundance of light and unobstructed views. Maybe next time...

Final Furlong by Icybacon, on Flickr

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Something different from roller derby, shot an amateur rugby team in a local park.

Rosslyn Park Hatters vs Wimbledon by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

D800 300m f/4 1/2000

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Virgin london marathon 2013

Top 4 mens elite.

KEBEDE, Tsegaye (ETH) by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

MUTAI, Emmanuel (KEN) by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

ABSHERO, Ayele (ETH) by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

KIPSANG, Wilson (KEN) by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Best event of the year by far.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

Something different from roller derby, shot an amateur rugby team in a local park.

D800 300m f/4 1/2000

You're getting good action (that tackle, especially), and these are good moments as well but could do with a good crop. Bring us right in on the action, I'd crop in towards each subject's back, and take out both outside players on the throw-in.

Looking at it again, take out the two red/white players on the right of the tackle and see if you like that any better as well. The tackle itself is a fantastic impact :rimshot: moment and you want as much attention on that as possible.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Let's all enjoy a good chuckle

31 owns pretty hard too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hey I've got something to contribute to that!

This was literally my entire weekend, came home with nothing but crap. :smith:

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

DJExile posted:

You're getting good action (that tackle, especially), and these are good moments as well but could do with a good crop. Bring us right in on the action, I'd crop in towards each subject's back, and take out both outside players on the throw-in.

Looking at it again, take out the two red/white players on the right of the tackle and see if you like that any better as well. The tackle itself is a fantastic impact :rimshot: moment and you want as much attention on that as possible.

Thanks for the advice, I just stumbled upon the game and got to work, no idea what the done thing of composition is for this type of thing.

Team loved the pics though so i guess that counts for something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

doodle_duck_dandy posted:

Thanks for the advice, I just stumbled upon the game and got to work, no idea what the done thing of composition is for this type of thing.

Team loved the pics though so i guess that counts for something.

You definitely got a good start. Action is sharp and frozen well. You're going to have a hard, if not impossible, time composing for most sports shots, unless you know exactly where something is going to happen (i.e. focusing on first base at a baseball game, golfer teeing off, etc.). Your best bet is just to compose it as best you can for the shot itself, then do some crop work afterwards. Don't worry too much about cropping a ton out. As good as today's DSLRs are, you're still going to have a ton of detail.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dakana and I just took about 30,000 photos between the two of us at a Spartan Race. We are so tired.

Photos to come when I can find any decent ones out of the way too many I took.

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
Hi all!

I've been absent for a bit, but taking more photos than ever. I've been adopted as the 'unofficial' Team Photographer for the Western Sydney Wanderers A-League team - who won this year's Premiership. With that, I've had some pretty cool behind-the-scenes access to the team, especially closed-door training, and some other great opportunities. I haven't been taking many game photos, because I prefer to sit in the stands with my kids and enjoy the spectacle.

I've also added to my camera collection. I've still got my little 600D, but now added an almost-new 50D and a well-loved 1D MkII into my bag.

Here's a few of my more recent favourites.

A couple of fan shots.

20130329-GH8E3168 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130329-GH8E3359 by efcso1, on Flickr

From a special media-only photo shoot.

20130417-IMG_7781 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130417-IMG_7749 by efcso1, on Flickr

Training Session stuff.

20130313-GH8E8251 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130212-IMG_6628 by efcso1, on Flickr

End-of-season Street Parade & Fan Day.

20130423-IMG_9998 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130423-IMG_0396 by efcso1, on Flickr

End-of-season Awards Night.

20130424-IMG_0949 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130424-IMG_0885 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130424-IMG_0856 by efcso1, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I don't really shoot sports, ever, but I got to watch a ski competition, got a few shots I thought were ok:

Skiing Whistler by hookshot88, on Flickr

And my favourite:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No way, that astronaut one is the best of the series. The one with the crossed skis and clouds is pretty badass too.

They feel a little underexposed, but I confess that may be because I've seen too many "professional" ski jump pics where the subject is brilliantly lit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

xzzy posted:

No way, that astronaut one is the best of the series. The one with the crossed skis and clouds is pretty badass too.

They feel a little underexposed, but I confess that may be because I've seen too many "professional" ski jump pics where the subject is brilliantly lit.
Haha yeah, I like the astronaut too, but there's just something about that last one I like.

Thanks for the advice on the exposure, I think you're right. I thought they looked alright in LR, but you're definitely on point, they look underexposed for sure. Time to go back and tweak them, I think.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
The astronaut one is badass.

Shooting snowsports will always underexpose because the snow is white and your camera doesn't like it when everything is 'blown' out. Feel free to push it a stop or so or set it to +0.7-1 EV.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Miko posted:

The astronaut one is badass.

Shooting snowsports will always underexpose because the snow is white and your camera doesn't like it when everything is 'blown' out. Feel free to push it a stop or so or set it to +0.7-1 EV.

Yeah, I automatically shoot at +1 when I'm doing anything with snow, then bump it up even more in LR if necessary, I think I must have just been drunk when I was editing them or something.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

Windy City All Stars vs London Brawling by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

This woman is a legend in roller derby (played herself in "whip it",) even when she is flipping through the air.

Windy City All Stars vs Berlin Bombshells by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Finally caught an apex jump.

All thanks to my new 85mm f/1.8 (f/1.4 couldn't be justified)

I have hundreds more pictures, I shoot roller derby every weekend now.

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!
I haven't shared any of my work in a while because I've been so busy actually doing paid sports gigs (Hooray!)

This weekend I covered the BC Provincial Rugby Men's 1st and 2nd Divisions Finals. Had a great time and took lots of great photos, though it got so dark near the end of the day that I was shooting at ISO 2000 for a bit... though a grainy photo is better than a blurry one.

Anyway, have some photos of guys smashing each other up over a little oval ball.

bestof-021 by lineoutphoto, on Flickr

bestof-004 by lineoutphoto, on Flickr

bestof-030 by lineoutphoto, on Flickr

bestof-029 by lineoutphoto, on Flickr

bestof-027 by lineoutphoto, on Flickr

bestof-013 by lineoutphoto, on Flickr

bestof-015 by lineoutphoto, on Flickr

I wish I had cropped this one better when shooting, but I just love the moment of victory over a vanquished foe:

bestof-041 by lineoutphoto, on Flickr

Game portraits = best portraits:

bestof-048 by lineoutphoto, on Flickr

bestof-034 by lineoutphoto, on Flickr

bestof-033 by lineoutphoto, on Flickr

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
For something a little different, I went along with some mates last weekend to cheer along our local Powerchair football team.

It's he first time I've gone to one of their games with a camera, so it was a bit hit-and-miss. I'm going back again this week to see if I can do a better job of it.

The players are all huge fans of the Western Sydney Wanderers, so the Wanderers' active supporter group - The Red and Black Bloc (RBB) - decided to turn up and add some noise to the proceedings.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/efcso1/sets/72157633498792518/

20130511-GH8E4098 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130511-IMG_5741 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130511-IMG_5604 by efcso1, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Warms my cold black heart, it does :unsmith:

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Some imperfect focus.

South West Angels of Terror vs Swansea Slayers by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Mixed Bouting by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Mixed Bouting by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
Southbank skate park, london

Skate by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Blade by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

D800 doing action!

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
I finally got around to shoot some football again. This time I tried to only shoot JPG in the second half and it worked out pretty well.

Vålerenga - Rosenborg 25.05.20213 by azathosk, on Flickr

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008
Shot my first highschool baseball game.

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

azathosk posted:

I finally got around to shoot some football again. This time I tried to only shoot JPG in the second half and it worked out pretty well.

I always enjoy scrolling through your shots when they pop up on my Flickr feed. Quality. Every time.

dowdy_pants posted:

This is awesome! Is he giving someone the hairdryer treatment?

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

efcso posted:

I always enjoy scrolling through your shots when they pop up on my Flickr feed. Quality. Every time.
Thanks. :) I guess it have to be a few good shots when you shoot about 4-500 pictures in 90 minutes. ;)

dowdy_pants posted:

Big fan of that one. Doesn't seem quite pleased with the effort.

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

azathosk posted:

Thanks. :) I guess it have to be a few good shots when you shoot about 4-500 pictures in 90 minutes. ;)

Oh. I think my best worst was 1,800 for two games.

With a 600D at 3fps max... :f5:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dowdy_pants posted:

These are good moments but you want to be in tighter, either through cropping or having longer glass. In the 2nd shot, there's no real reason for the catcher, and there arguably isn't in the first either. First one could also do with a straightening, especially given the back wall.

The screaming coach/manager and 2nd shot of the pitcher are both very good. I'd again get in tighter on the 3 celebrating players, and at least crop out the guy halfway in the frame on the right.

I don't mean to sound like I'm ripping your stuff, you've got good moments here and I think some little tweaks can make them a lot better. What kind of glass are you using?

efcso posted:

Oh. I think my best worst was 1,800 for two games.

Easily my worst was 15,000 over 8 hours of a Spartan Race. I think my cards were on fire. :gonk:

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

These are good moments but you want to be in tighter, either through cropping or having longer glass. In the 2nd shot, there's no real reason for the catcher, and there arguably isn't in the first either. First one could also do with a straightening, especially given the back wall.

The screaming coach/manager and 2nd shot of the pitcher are both very good. I'd again get in tighter on the 3 celebrating players, and at least crop out the guy halfway in the frame on the right.

I don't mean to sound like I'm ripping your stuff, you've got good moments here and I think some little tweaks can make them a lot better. What kind of glass are you using?

Thanks for the great feedback. I used the Canon 70-200 2.8. I did some extensive cropping already (70-200 just ain't enough)... but my struggle is keeping the same aspect ratio, keeping all body parts/people in frame, etc. Should I feel free to do non-traditional cropping (like square)? Trying to keep the kids' parents in mind for if/when they buy prints.

Here's a link to the complete gallery. Some tighter crops in here: http://ralphbrewer.zenfolio.com/p339123420

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

dowdy_pants posted:

Thanks for the great feedback. I used the Canon 70-200 2.8. I did some extensive cropping already (70-200 just ain't enough)... but my struggle is keeping the same aspect ratio, keeping all body parts/people in frame, etc. Should I feel free to do non-traditional cropping (like square)? Trying to keep the kids' parents in mind for if/when they buy prints.

Here's a link to the complete gallery. Some tighter crops in here: http://ralphbrewer.zenfolio.com/p339123420

I've cropped plenty of images to remove people who I've cut in half, or aren't adding enough to the image. I always try to keep the same aspect ratio, but sometimes I've had to go square, especially if I can't go to a portrait crop. It's not a cardinal rule to stay at 3:2 etc, although it is nice if you can.

I look back at some of my earlier stuff and wonder what I was thinking, especially with amputations and the like, when I did those shots.

DJExile posted:

Easily my worst was 15,000 over 8 hours of a Spartan Race. I think my cards were on fire. :gonk:

Jebus! That is a metric gently caress-tonne of photos (equal to 2.2 Imperial gently caress-tons I believe).

I've been doing a lot of shooting for one of our local professional football (soccer) teams over the summer and had to keep in mind that they would often ask me for a photo of a certain player from the most recent game or training session - usually after the event - so I used to try to get as many as I could. Now that they're in hiatus and I'm shooting the local winter leagues, I'm just concentrating a bit more on making better shots. I'm hampered a bit by the local stadia not having great lighting for night games, but that's also giving me the opportunity to work on low-light, fast-moving technique.

The other advantage of the lower, semi-pro leagues, is that I have almost completely unrestricted access, both on and off the pitch.

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

Skater by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Skater by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Free Running by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For a second I didn't see that these were free-running instead of skateboarding and was wondering just how badly they'd botched their tricks. :v:

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

Royal Windsor Rollergirls Merry Wives vs Hawker Hurricanes by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Royal Windsor Rollergirls Merry Wives vs Hawker Hurricanes by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
I'm really enjoying shooting our local State Premier League, although the lower light from the floodlights is giving me some hassles, given what bodies I have (1D MkII & a 50D). I've tried pushing the ISO higher but I'm not too happy with the amount of noise I end up getting. For this game I was using a thrifty fifty for the pre-game and a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 (non-IS) for the action shots.

Suggestions will be openly embraced.

On the plus side, the goalkeeper/captain in the purple kit has become a good mate and, as he rarely concedes a goal at the end I'm shooting from, loves having me sitting nearby and will usually give me a good smile or celebration at least once during the game.

20130608-IMG_8076 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130608-GH8E0064 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130608-GH8E0271 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130608-IMG_8626 by efcso1, on Flickr

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Are you pushing them at all in post? If not, I didn't realize how noisy the 1D2 was. I didn't think you'd get that much grain until at least 1600.

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

dakana posted:

Are you pushing them at all in post? If not, I didn't realize how noisy the 1D2 was. I didn't think you'd get that much grain until at least 1600.

Yeah. This is the original of Number 2 above.

On the 1D2, even at 1600, they're pretty dim under the floodlights at most of the suburban grounds, so I have to bump them all up, even if I slow the shutter speed right down as much as I dare.

Here's an example from last week, shot at 1600:

A JPEG straight from the RAW file.

The same photo after I've touched it in Lightroom. (Exposure +1.31, blacks -19, NR Luminance +10)

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
Haven't shot much sports, other than some of my brother's college football.

MN Timberwolves

Joe Mauer Home Run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!
In a slight twist on the usual theme, whilst I was shooting a junior tournament today one of the senior players picked up another of my cameras and took a few shots of me whilst I was doing my thing.

20130617-GH8E2185 by efcso1, on Flickr

20130617-GH8E2190 by efcso1, on Flickr

The practice kick after this one, I took the ball flush in the face (it missed the camera completely), which cut my nose open and trashed my 4-day-old $500 prescription sunglasses...