Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Come visit us in the iOS boardgoons thread for more suggestions and opponents:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548351

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bummey posted:

And it sucks when you don't know until wave 9 that your set up won't work. Everything can be fine until nine scorpions and 40 wolves come out and gently caress your poo poo all the way up. It's frustrating to lose that much time.

Hey Kingdom Rush dev person, let us issue orders to towers. Attack weak/strong enemies, attack near/far enemies, etc. it would be nice.

Funnily enough, Buccaneer's Den was also the first even to really do this to me: surprise lane out of loving nowhere. The one with the scorpions wasn't too bad so each lane definitely had a theme to it so you could stack magic on the right side where the scorpions would be coming from.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does beating the stages on veteran give you anything that beating it on normal doesn't?

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Got Warhammer Quest after searching for a decent hack and slash. Even though it's not at all what I was looking for I love it. It has the story and the depth I wanted.

Right now I'm on casual mode so I can get a feel for the game. But hardcore has just the challenge I'm looking for. (Players die and stay die'd). So you need to be ultra careful.

It's got some bugs and crashes but I believe the developers will fix them up and add some great content. I'm even debating buying extra heroes. I'm seriously addicted.

Question: for those who play, what's the point of retiring a character?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Kolta posted:

Got Warhammer Quest after searching for a decent hack and slash. Even though it's not at all what I was looking for I love it. It has the story and the depth I wanted.

Right now I'm on casual mode so I can get a feel for the game. But hardcore has just the challenge I'm looking for. (Players die and stay die'd). So you need to be ultra careful.

It's got some bugs and crashes but I believe the developers will fix them up and add some great content. I'm even debating buying extra heroes. I'm seriously addicted.

Question: for those who play, what's the point of retiring a character?

As far as I can tell, you retire characters that got to level 6 and got a shithouse loadout of skills. Like my wizard, got 3 heals, and never got any direct damage spell outside of the ones he started with. So... I'll probably retire him soon and grind him up again to at least get Occam's Razors.

If you didn't already realize, skills are taken at random from a pool, and you cannot get all of them by level 6.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

KGBAgent185 posted:

As far as I can tell, you retire characters that got to level 6 and got a shithouse loadout of skills. Like my wizard, got 3 heals, and never got any direct damage spell outside of the ones he started with. So... I'll probably retire him soon and grind him up again to at least get Occam's Razors.

If you didn't already realize, skills are taken at random from a pool, and you cannot get all of them by level 6.

Ah! That makes sense now. So, when your characters get abilities it varies. My Gray Wizard just got a minor heal spell at level 3... He already had a larger heal spell, which I found odd.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I recently picked up FFT again after the update, bumping my Chapter 2 15 hour save file from a year and a half ago to about 18 hours. I did a little digging on the Agrias special event that requires the 2 knights after seeing it mentioned in the thread a couple pages ago, and... god drat it. The reward seems awesome as gently caress, I may restart after all given that I also can't really remember how the story is going. It's a shame as I just hit level 30 shortly after getting Mustadio permanently, and it's clear that when I was originally playing I was grinding too much to get game-breaking monk, then ninja, then samurai powers ASAP.

Oh, hey, I have a 7-hour save file that appears to be before the end of chapter 1, so not all is lost.

For those just picking it up, I clearly remember from my days with the PS1 version that by the end of the game I only had 1 generic remaining in use through the final battles. On replay I may not even keep that one, given that there's a few new uniques in the PSP/iOS version. So, knowing what I know now, don't grind too much in the early chapters with your generics. You'll have lots of time to wreck face with broken abilities once you start getting unique characters that you'll actually probably keep.

Interestingly, when your goal is to get monk/ninja/samurai unlocked/abilities ASAP the game retains a lot of its challenge while doing so. The earlier chapters seem to assume you're going to try and master the base classes first which makes you more rounded, robust and survivable compared to picking and choosing low-defense monk/ninja stuff. Which is neat. I love this game.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does beating the stages on veteran give you anything that beating it on normal doesn't?

A thing that says"completed on Veteran," and that's pretty much it. Bragging rights too, I guess. Same with the difference between Normal and Casual. I'm using it as an opportunity to level up heroes.

If there's something you get for completing everything on Veteran I'm not aware of it. I don't remember anything like that in the first one.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Kolta posted:

Ah! That makes sense now. So, when your characters get abilities it varies. My Gray Wizard just got a minor heal spell at level 3... He already had a larger heal spell, which I found odd.

There's also the random stats, which can really screw with you around level 4 if you still don't have any upgrades to Weapon Skill on a frontliner. Some characters are more equal than others.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

SilverMike posted:

There's also the random stats, which can really screw with you around level 4 if you still don't have any upgrades to Weapon Skill on a frontliner. Some characters are more equal than others.

I can imagine. It keeps you on your toes I guess. All my characters are on level 3 presently. The only one kinda lagging behind in terms of skills and abilities is my wizard. Might need to give him the boot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: Some of the iron challenges in KR:F don't leave you much wiggle room in terms of tower layout.

That's all preset.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:lol: Some of the iron challenges in KR:F don't leave you much wiggle room in terms of tower layout.

That's all preset.

sell some towers

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

uhm yeah you're supposed to sell the towers.

Got all 75 stars just now in KR:F. Feels good man. Also the final level on Iron is hilarious. I built nothing except quake towers and won.

The necromancer tower is my favourite unit in this game. They make barracks pretty much unnecessary.

Happy Bear Suit fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 9, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I'm thinking I may wanna retire my Ironbreaker in WHQ as he's really dragging everyone else down and has like no skills at level 4 (and only two attacks per turn, making him the least used character). Is it trouble retraining a character when everyone else is way higher? How do the enemies' levels scale in this?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Sad lions posted:

I'm thinking I may wanna retire my Ironbreaker in WHQ as he's really dragging everyone else down and has like no skills at level 4 (and only two attacks per turn, making him the least used character). Is it trouble retraining a character when everyone else is way higher? How do the enemies' levels scale in this?

The random dungeons have two different things to scale on.

The loot you get for a reward scales based on the average level of the entire party. This includes all 7 members (If you bought the DLC).

The enemies within the dungeon scale on WHO went into it. So if you go in with 4 level 1 guys, and have 3 level 6, the loot you get will be significantly better than just 4 level 1's.

As for leveling from level 1 with all level 6 characters? Doing it for the Ironbreaker is going to be harder than my example with the wizard. Just try and do early levels with the Critter enemy type and he should level decently quickly.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I beat KR2 on normal last night. Fun game, but it kind of left me wanting for more levels. I know there are veteran, heroic and iron challenges but those are on the same maps with the same layouts and enemies. I would happily pay a couple bux for some more level packs.

Some of the heroes look interesting enough to want to try but since you can't use heroes in veteran and iron challenges it seems like a waste of money.

I'm still sitting on the last quest of Warhammer Quest. Black Orks kick my rear end and I have the worst luck when it comes to the winds of magic in that dungeon. Every time I have attempted it I end up getting my rear end reamed by 3 or 4 consecutive packs of 50+hp orks. I don't know if it's supposed to be this huge of a jump in difficulty or if I am just having the worst of luck. Maybe I should grind my dudes a little more, see if there is any additional gear I can find to help but I feel like I am pretty well geared up, I just need 1 more level on 2 of my fellows.

I have also been struggling to find a purpose for the Ironbreaker. He gets a lot of toughness gear but toughness really doesn't seem to help much especially when you can just toss on a bunch of evasion/dodge rings. His hit rate seems very low, I have had to put on a bunch of +hit chance rings just to get a 50-75% hit rate. His armor breaker ability likewise seems dubious, you give up all of your attacks but one (which you don't get a lot of anyways) to do more damage, but with the awful hit rate it is a gamble, and the increased damage/armor mitigation doesn't feel that impressive anyways compared to an additional 2-3 attacks. As it is he is just the guy that follows the berserker and maybe kills a monster or two that the berserker missed. I would happily give him up for another berserker.

Ultimately WHQ was fun but a little too basic, I wish there was some more tactical options or something. I am contemplating the Skaven campaign but I dunno if I want to, it doesn't seem like it would really add that much gameplay-wise, just additional levels and enemies.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Saddest Robot posted:

I beat KR2 on normal last night. Fun game, but it kind of left me wanting for more levels. I know there are veteran, heroic and iron challenges but those are on the same maps with the same layouts and enemies. I would happily pay a couple bux for some more level packs.

The enemies are the same but the waves are different. Add the iron challenge's removal of certain towers and it's certainly worthwhile to try to do them since they don't play the same way.

The Saddest Robot posted:

Some of the heroes look interesting enough to want to try but since you can't use heroes in veteran and iron challenges it seems like a waste of money.

That's only for the first 4 levels. Level 5 and up (so far) all let you use your hero during the challenges. The dragon and protoss look awesome I may need to end up buying one of them if they ever go on sale or something.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I bought the Dragon. It owns bones. Any questions let me know.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

WWDC thread is up and will be opened in the morning, if you want to bookmark it now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you've played FFT before, and/or don't care about spoilers, check out Orange Fluffy Sheep's LP of the game.

He broke it open in so many ways. I love this game, but I learned some new things from OFS.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kheldarn posted:

If you've played FFT before, and/or don't care about spoilers, check out Orange Fluffy Sheep's LP of the game.

He broke it open in so many ways. I love this game, but I learned some new things from OFS.

Thanks for this. I've always been good at Fire Emblem and I beat A2, but drat, chapter 1 in this always gave me issues.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
Does anyone else think the controls in FFT are nothing short of infuriating? Every turn is an exercise in frustration with the camera, tapping the wrong box, moving and attacking are a problem every time. Does it get better?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I bought the Dragon. It owns bones. Any questions let me know.

does it basically keep the entire stage on fire at all times? Take a screenshot of it.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

I'm brand new to KOTOR and am about to start my very first playthrough on the iPad. Since it seems like a lot of you are very familiar with the game, is there anything I should know right from the start to maximize my experiences in a single playthrough? There's only a handful of advice mentioned on "Before I Play" for KOTOR.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

foobar posted:

I'm brand new to KOTOR and am about to start my very first playthrough on the iPad. Since it seems like a lot of you are very familiar with the game, is there anything I should know right from the start to maximize my experiences in a single playthrough? There's only a handful of advice mentioned on "Before I Play" for KOTOR.

You can get through the game doing whatever the gently caress you want. Stick to whatever you want to go for and don't worry about not starting with light-sabers and force powers, you'll get to it soon enough.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

foobar posted:

Honestly, the only advice I'd have given you is covered in that link. Aside from that, go wild.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Despoiler posted:

Does anyone else think the controls in FFT are nothing short of infuriating? Every turn is an exercise in frustration with the camera, tapping the wrong box, moving and attacking are a problem every time. Does it get better?

I understand what you mean about tapping the wrong box, however you can swipe up or down anywhere on the screen to move the cursor to the next selection you want and then use the "ok" button in the lower right. Made menu navigation much much easier for me.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Psion posted:

does it basically keep the entire stage on fire at all times? Take a screenshot of it.

A bunch of AOE attacks that do a lot of damage, but with relatively short range. It flies, can't block units and I don't think it has a direct attack aside from abilities. It's super good but it may instill in you a false confidence that will end the game if a secondary path opens up or stronger enemies come out and you haven't expanded from the opening spawn points. It's also hard to tell exactly where in the path he is since he floats a good inch above the ground and doesn't? cast a shadow.

Protoss guy owns bones but is really fragile.

foobar posted:

All access skills, like open lock, hacking, etc, can be handled by party members if you level them up appropriately. Your main character should have hella persuasion (whatever that conversational charisma skill is) and combat poo poo.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 10, 2013

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Thanks for this. I've always been good at Fire Emblem and I beat A2, but drat, chapter 1 in this always gave me issues.

The problem I have with the first chapter is that you don't have your team set up yet so you suck and the game wants to you grind. Enemies level faster than you would by just doing storyline missions. But grinding is kinda boring and dull, especially since you basically just have fight and item.

What I do it give everyone some way of revive and heal units (phoenix down and potion). Then go find a random encounter and put everyone on AI healer and walk away for 10 minutes. Do that 2-3 times and you will have a much better chance at the story missions, while not being too overpowered.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

Bummey posted:

Protoss guy owns bones but is really fragile.

Yeah. He's the only one I've bought so far and he's awesome. I play guerrilla warfare with him and just place him strategically to summon the drone and mother ship, only using him in melee occasionally when I need to buy time or take out weak guys that slip past early. His skills are extremely powerful though and it's not super difficult to get him to remove specific things with the mother ship.

I wish there were preview videos for all of the IAP heroes, YouTube has videos for specific heroes but they only did the ones that are included and it's not hard to see how they play since they're free.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Despoiler posted:

The controls won't change any but you will get better at them after some experimentation. On the ipad version, I preferred the top-down camera angle (easier to select specific tiles by making them more square) and 100% zoom (larger tiles that are easier to touch).

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Cloudchaos posted:

I wish there were preview videos for all of the IAP heroes, YouTube has videos for specific heroes but they only did the ones that are included and it's not hard to see how they play since they're free.

Oooh that'd be sweet. To continue KR:F Heroes chat, I miss my wizard dude from the first game, Magnus I think he was called. He owned bones. Also, for a little while I thought Captain Blackthorne was Captain Blackburn and he was related to the upcoming Steam release's exclusive campaign (that is gonna be exclusive, right?) It would have been neat to have some sort of lore connection there.

Is the Axethrower's magic blocking totem useful in the caves? I can't tell if it's actually effecting the invisible guys. It either works but doesn't have enough range to be useful or it doesn't effect them. I have noticed it screwing up their animation though, they just slide across the path instead of walking. The other totem is still pretty great, though.

Also, gently caress that last boss and his special abilities.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Those burrowing enemies are the loving worst. Sand terrors? Wanna punch you in the groin, guy who thought them up.

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Has anyone played The War of Eustrath and if so how was it?
http://www.appshopper.com/games/the-war-of-eustrath-hd

It looks like a Super Robot Wars clone that's been around for awhile.

I liked it. Story's very japanese, but if you want to play a game about a group of valiant robot pilots fighting off world-conquering villains and the end of the world, that's what you get.

Basically a robot trpg.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm so engrossed in Warhammer Quest now. The drive for loot, and the extra abilities, are really opening things up for gameplay. My grey wizard is now a loving ninja. He's not got any really great offensive spells, but as my main healer I'm fine with that. He's got 3 melee attacks and a sweet dagger, and the Twilight Translocation spell lets him get a couple of teleport moves per turn. I've been having him leap into the heart of the enemy horde, murder the gently caress out everything, then teleport behind the wall of beefcake I set to guard the door.

Haven't even touched my IAP heroes yet, or gotten onto the skaven campaign. I'm already committed to buying everything they ever release for this game. One quest gets me through a short commute, and playing at home devours an hour or more of my life without even realizing i

It was a slow burn to find the hook, but I'm balls deep into this game now and couldn't be happier with it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

I wish I could clear up the space to play Warhammer, but what if I want to play one of these four dozen games some day?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Help, I'm trapped inside a block fortress. Goblocks all around, robot's murdering them but those loving shadow goblocks will be the death of me.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

One quest gets me through a short commute, and playing at home devours an hour or more of my life without even realizing it

I know exactly what you mean. Last night 2 and a half hours went by without me even noticing while playing.

Are you playing on hardcore? I just lost my Gray Wizard. He got wedged and I only had bandages. Every hit was a miss from my other characters and they couldn't reach him. Thinking of maybe switching to Adventure mode [I think that's what it's called]. Get the same difficulty minus the permanent death of your character if not healed in time.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
Warhammer quest is a bit of a chore frankly. Is the random level up progress part of the original board game? Because it is loving annoying. The game is already a grind, and the idea of burning a character to grind again to get a better build? God help me.

In fact, I've played the game a lot, but it is pretty dull. There is almost no tactical or strategic element. Once you learn to control the corridors and keep your crew compact, that's about it. It looks good, but the game mechanics are so light as to be trivial. Just like every Games Workshop game it seems. All fluff and no real game content. Ah well.

On the other hand, i am a hopeless slut for their stuff and I wish someone would do a port/update/remake of Shadow of the Horned Rat. Except turn based with beautiful modern graphics. And better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulu
Nov 7, 2005
So, i made a little time-waster !
It's a puzzle/arcade one touch game in wich you drag your finger across numbered cubes so that their sum totals 12, so the game is called Σ12 (Sigma12).
I made most of it, with some help for the code and testing. It's not exactly revolutionary, but it's the first one i try to publish.
It works on most iOS devices starting from iPhone3G and iPad2 ( it works on iPad1, but it tends to crash , so i wouldn't recommend it yet ). Also I just saw that the first user review on english iTunes claims that the game won't load on iPad4, but i can't test that for the moment, as i don't have the device. I'll look into it as soon as i find one i can borrow.

Screenshots :

Here the itunes link if anyone feels like checking it out !
https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/12-sigma12/id645889711
also available in french :
https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/12-sigma12/id645889711

If you want to try it out for free , it's also on kongragate, with ads :
http://www.kongregate.com/games/iq12/12-sigma12
or even Newgrounds :
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/619254

• Locked thread