Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Is Sega showing this at E3 this year for the U.S. release? If not I'll probably just bite the bullet and play the japanese version. It sounds like it'll be fully translated before long anyway, haha. God it looks so good. One question, did they take Sabers out of the game? I used to love my not-lightsabers in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh boy going from that link subclasses will now get some small amount of EXP. That seems EXTREMELY handy in the long run. Having even a micro-My Room is good news as well. Free character slot is good news as well, and the Braver class looks neat (even if only for SPACE HANZO STEEL shenanigans).

This looks like it's gonna be a good time. I know I'm the only person that gives half a drat about the plot in this but uh, did anyone else notice Afin wearing what seriously looked like villain armor in a quick shot during that trailer? It could've been some other short blonde newman but it looked a lot like Afin. It's at 2:20 or so.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Levantine posted:

Is Sega showing this at E3 this year for the U.S. release?

Well, we can't say for sure until the event starts, but ahahahahaha.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
that mini room looks suspiciously like the default size room you get when you use a 3-day room pass, the same size and all.

EDIT: Can't wait to have my own room all the time! They were locking people out of a lot of possible AC content by doing that (and probably noticed no one ever bought room passes)

I'll just crash on this dude's house on the meanwhile:

nerdz fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 9, 2013

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Levantine posted:

Is Sega showing this at E3 this year for the U.S. release?
They've put out their ist of what they're showing apparently and PSO2 is not on it. :v: Surprised that there's no level cap increase until October but I guess they figure everyone will be leveling their Dewman for the next few months.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

The Singing Chav posted:

They've put out their ist of what they're showing apparently and PSO2 is not on it. :v: Surprised that there's no level cap increase until October but I guess they figure everyone will be leveling their Dewman for the next few months.

New class, new race, fresh character slot for those who want one, new difficulty in the works. There's a lot of reason for them to not increase the level cap so as not to rush everyone.

Someone on PSOW posted this screencap of their roadmap.

quote:

July
- Support partner
- Arks Road
- Ep.2 New field Vopal
- Ep.2 New race Dewman
- Ep.2 New weapon category katana/bullet bow

September
- New field

October
- New difficulty Super Hard
- Lv65 cap raise

November
- New field

December
- New quest for 12 players
- New system for item customization

I think I'm most excited about subclasses gaining XP. I'm surprised they even changed their mind about doing that. It's kind of hard to tell due to video quality but it looks like the new planet's native enemies are weak to Fire and Ice (well...almost, SEGA) and the new Darkers are weak to Wind and Light?

Umberger fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 9, 2013

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
I dont remember who it was that said we would all get a free character slot with the Dewman, but I'm sorry I doubted you. This update is pretty exciting, I can't wait.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Sega has been pretty nice of giving players free skill resets when they change stuff and compensaiton for lost days so it was expected they'd do this.

That said, they're totally just giving everyone another character to level because there's no new level cap until October and a lot of people have reached it in both their regular and subclasses by now.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
The new planet looks pretty cool, hard to go wrong with sea monsters. Having the new darkers be weak to wind as speculated is a nice boost for Wind techs, but having more dudes weak to fire keeps it relegated to second tier. They mention for the boss fight that you can reel in sharkguy to break his parts, which kinda makes it sound like a pain the rear end to fight alone.

I honestly don't really care about dewmen or the new character slot, since I've sunk a bunch of time into one character already, and leveling up from zero again would be boring as gently caress.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
you can double-dip on :taco:s and Elder, or you can make your space-oni on another ship if you know people who are stranded over there; likewise people on other ships can venture into ship 2 without fear of losing their "real" character. also, you can use your main character's Friend Partner on your alt, but I think that only works if you are on the same ship

personally I barely have time to play my normal guy, but I may use the slot just to use it; at the very least I could use it to play with people just starting once all the classes on my main are way to high.

EDIT: someone just pointed this out to me

I don't want this to be real :(

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 9, 2013

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

NextTime000 posted:

Maybe +15 will be a super cash dump. Like once you get to +10 you go to a different person/use a different item for +11-15 (or maybe even 20?). When they add Super Hard TACOs they're going to have to do something to curb inflation. :v:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

NextTime000 posted:

you can double-dip on :taco:s and Elder, or you can make your space-oni on another ship if you know people who are stranded over there; likewise people on other ships can venture into ship 2 without fear of losing their "real" character. also, you can use your main character's Friend Partner on your alt, but I think that only works if you are on the same ship

personally I barely have time to play my normal guy, but I may use the slot just to use it; at the very least I could use it to play with people just starting once all the classes on my main are way to high.

If this doesn't come with a rescaling to fit the extra 5 levels between the existing 10, or only still requiring +10 for an unlock, jesus

Edit: just speculation, but the rescaling might really be the case. Chrome Viaduct already is 767 at grinding level 10, and that extra 40 R-ATK could be a combination of abilities.

VVV your theory looks better than mine.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 9, 2013

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

NextTime000 posted:

Thats a chrome vita with 807 damage, which is the exact same amount as a +10 one with shoot 3 or mizer soul (the one in the image has a single affix added) Meaning that they haven't programmed in any damage boost from griding past +10 yet. It also has 13 element which is impossible on a rare anymore so its just a dev weapon. they did mention a revamp for item customization, but that isn't until December so we most likely weont be seeing grinding past 10 for a while.(hopefully)

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too. You can already clock close to 1 mil per day if you do all the time attacks, and even if Super Hard only awards 150K per, with the addition of a TA for the new planet, you're closing in on 2 mil per day, albeit with a nontrivial time investment, but that has never stopped people. Going up to +15 means that they can keep weapons from older content relevant longer and not have to deal with power creep and making everyone need 11 star weapons. They really need to add more goddamn units, though. You're not exactly spoiled for choice at the top end, and the stupid 606 req ones aren't anywhere near good enough to warrant requirements that high. Also, some more customization for units would be cool, whether purely cosmetic or otherwise. Being able to combine units for some kind of effect would also be another item/cash sink. Presumably, units will also go up to +15, and while I wouldn't mind the extra defense, like most people, my units are basically Boss Soul/ATK Stat III carriers.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Just started playing this. Lisa is the best NPC.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

They really need to add more goddamn units, though. You're not exactly spoiled for choice at the top end, and the stupid 606 req ones aren't anywhere near good enough to warrant requirements that high. Also, some more customization for units would be cool, whether purely cosmetic or otherwise. Being able to combine units for some kind of effect would also be another item/cash sink. Presumably, units will also go up to +15, and while I wouldn't mind the extra defense, like most people, my units are basically Boss Soul/ATK Stat III carriers.

I think they just need to cool it on unit requirements. Almost nobody makes an X-DEF Mag and the difference between the two tiers of 10* armors is insane even if you're the optimal race/class combo: a 60/60 Male Cast Hu/Fi can't equip the 606 set without dumping 43 points into their Mag's S-DEF or by taking more than 3 points in S-DEF Up. The cookie cutter 60/60 Female Newman Fo/Te can't equip their 606 set without an additional 54 points in to T-DEF (which you can cut by as much as 32 depending on how many Techer points you feel like wasting).

Defense in this game is just pointless because of how terrible the X-DEF:actual damage reduction rate is (and the damage that enemies deal rises significantly faster than your X-DEF), and how little units provide even at +10. Something needs to be done to make higher end units actually worth wanting to equip. As you've said, basically units now function as affix carriers which just happen to provide X-DEF too.

e: But yeah cosmetic armor stuff would be cool. There are a lot of units with neat visual effects, so it would make something like WoW's transmog a good idea.

Umberger fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 9, 2013

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Dumping even three points into S-DEF is only really necessary if you want Just Guard, but frankly, Guard is strictly inferior to Step, especially against bosses. There are just too many strings attached to be worth the investment in my opinion. Defensive builds are pretty pointless anyway, since the aggro mechanics don't support the typical tank style of play in the first place. The only reason to take War Cry is to get your Get out of Death Free card. For non-Hunters, it's pretty much impossible to justify putting any points in DEF beyond the minimum instead of literally any other skill.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I'll not put this into the OP until closer to EP2's release, but we have known the stat modifiers for Dewmans since the very beginning.

this also means they could change slightly between now and then so that's also a reason I am not adding them to the OP yet.
code:
               	 HP S-ATK R-ATK T-ATK  DEX S-DEF R-DEF T-DEF
human male     	105   104   103   100  105   105   100   100 
human female   	104   100   103   104  106   100   100   105 
newman male    	 95   100   102   108  104   100   105   100 
newman female  	 94   100   102   110  104   100   100   105 
cast male      	107   105   104    96  107   105   100    95 
cast female    	106   104   105    96  107   100   105    95
dewman male      95   106   104   103  106    97    97    97 
dewman female  	 94   106   104   103  106    98    98    98

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Protocol 5 posted:

Dumping even three points into S-DEF is only really necessary if you want Just Guard, but frankly, Guard is strictly inferior to Step, especially against bosses. There are just too many strings attached to be worth the investment in my opinion.

I find Just Guard/Counter to be significantly easier to pull off than avoiding damage through Step's i-frames. The amount of leeway on the Wired Lance and Sword's Just Guard window is much much more forgiving than Step, and if you gently caress up a Just Guard it's still a Guard (whereas with Step you take full damage, which can be fatal). Also when you Just Guard you're granted even more i-frames during the animation (you can stand in Quartz Dragon's laser rain and Just Guard it to see this in action). I see your reasoning in that 5 points in the Hunter tree can go very far, so it's a fairly big investment, especially if you don't use the mechanic often. To each their own I suppose. v:shobon:v

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Hm, so Dewman don't seem that different from Dewman to me. More Atk and less Def overall. As somebody who already just plays Newman maybe I'd be better off making one of the other races but I know I'll not be able to resist being a horny person.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Killbot posted:

Yeah, she's a pretty great little murderbot.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Umberger posted:

I find Just Guard/Counter to be significantly easier to pull off than avoiding damage through Step's i-frames.
Try just guarding banther's dive spam attack. Bullshit hitboxes kind of ruin the utility of just guard sometimes.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
I am thoroughly excited for all these upcoming updates. I've been kind of moody that they were going to add in only a single class, but seeing Braver in action really sold me on the idea. It looks like a ton of fun, and I can't wait to try it out. Getting a whole new char slot for free is a godsend as well, as I'm actually really digging the dewman look. The unique skin colors look pretty neat, and I actually like how stupid anime the heterochromia looks.

It also will allow me to make a new character with a new mag who I can build a little better. I dumped a few too many points into dex and s-def on mine, and I've been wanting to do something about that.

nerdz posted:

that mini room looks suspiciously like the default size room you get when you use a 3-day room pass, the same size and all.

EDIT: Can't wait to have my own room all the time! They were locking people out of a lot of possible AC content by doing that (and probably noticed no one ever bought room passes)

I'll just crash on this dude's house on the meanwhile:

This is gonna be the best. I'm so glad we'll be getting our own rooms for free. It's such a thing that seems required in this game, and it's about time they've done it. This is also good timing with the rumor that I heard Cosmo Fountains from PSU are coming back. (Giant space toilets)

MR. J posted:

Try just guarding banther's dive spam attack. Bullshit hitboxes kind of ruin the utility of just guard sometimes.

You actually can JG it just fine. As long as you do it when it's about to pass through you, not to try and block the second part of it. Also make sure you're kind of at it's center instead of moving around the side. Kind of have to brave the shot and trust yourself to JG it. I can usually get it 9 times out of 10 if I see it coming that way.

floatman
Mar 17, 2009

MR. J posted:

I am lazy so I just lock on to banther and guard when it's time. When you're locked on to the boss your character automatically rotates to always face the boss so you will always be guarding a frontal attack. As an aside, it seems to me that the dive spam attack basically doesn't hit you in the front, but the 10-11 o'clock position of your character so if you just want to dodge it just step to your right.

Edit: Do note that you can't lock on then hold the guard key as your character does not rotate while guarding

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
There's a not insignificant chance that we won't see any new information on PSO2 in the US until 2014. If ever. Unless they have a super surprise announcement, we're definitely not seeing it at E3, going by their own E3 info.

Also definitely digging the free character slot. Braver sounded kind of stupid to me, and katanas still don't have my interest, but the bow does look pretty neat. It looks like female dewmen kind of get the shaft, stat wise, but meh. I'm debating whether to make a Male Newman Techer so I can remake my old PSO character, Fabularus, or whether to just make a female dewman braver/gunner.

On the talk of defense: I really wish they'd balance some of these stats. Dex is completely useless to everyone because criticals barely improve damage output. It's also useless for equipping any decent equipment which is the most important part of any character's effectiveness. Defense is similarly stupid, but made even worse in that female characters sacrifice HP, a useful stat, for a completely insignificant amount of defense, often in only one category. The end result is that classes like Hunter, which are supposed to be durable, can take only one more melee hit that a force, and only because of their bonus HP. Skills like Guard Stance also exist solely as a barrier to other skills that don't effectively weaken the character.

It's probably the biggest problem I've had with this game since the closed beta. Sega's idea of balance is really bizarre and there's a ton of stats and skills which only serve as a pitfall to completely gimp inexperience players. I don't even know what they were thinking putting two skills that cure completely trivial status effects once a minute at the end of the Guard Stance tree. They really need to go balls out in fixing that poo poo. Significantly increase the defense given by every source so that it keeps on par with the monsters the average player of that level would fight. Make criticals deal bonus damage to weakpoints and deal damage as if they're hitting a weak point on any other part. Fix everything about ice technics and the ice skill tree, make more monsters that are weak to wind and dark but not fire, and holy gently caress remove or fix all those other worthless skills.

Edit: also make wand gear make sense. Blowing things up by tapping them with your magical girl wand is amazing but then the execution is so counter-intuitive that it renders it situational and underwhelming.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 10, 2013

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

NextTime000 posted:

HE HUNGERS.

More importantly, what's that bottom Rifle PA icon on the left? I don't recognize it... Kinda looks like a flashlight.

Liverslapper
Jun 3, 2009

Grimey Drawer
An Autobot is raping me with his eyes. All the make-up I put on and all the comments I get are about my gigantic space melons. :negative:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I know, right?

My eyes are down here, buddy!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Miijhal posted:

There's a not insignificant chance that we won't see any new information on PSO2 in the US until 2014. If ever. Unless they have a super surprise announcement, we're definitely not seeing it at E3, going by their own E3 info.

Also definitely digging the free character slot. Braver sounded kind of stupid to me, and katanas still don't have my interest, but the bow does look pretty neat. It looks like female dewmen kind of get the shaft, stat wise, but meh. I'm debating whether to make a Male Newman Techer so I can remake my old PSO character, Fabularus, or whether to just make a female dewman braver/gunner.

On the talk of defense: I really wish they'd balance some of these stats. Dex is completely useless to everyone because criticals barely improve damage output. It's also useless for equipping any decent equipment which is the most important part of any character's effectiveness. Defense is similarly stupid, but made even worse in that female characters sacrifice HP, a useful stat, for a completely insignificant amount of defense, often in only one category. The end result is that classes like Hunter, which are supposed to be durable, can take only one more melee hit that a force, and only because of their bonus HP. Skills like Guard Stance also exist solely as a barrier to other skills that don't effectively weaken the character.

It's probably the biggest problem I've had with this game since the closed beta. Sega's idea of balance is really bizarre and there's a ton of stats and skills which only serve as a pitfall to completely gimp inexperience players. I don't even know what they were thinking putting two skills that cure completely trivial status effects once a minute at the end of the Guard Stance tree. They really need to go balls out in fixing that poo poo. Significantly increase the defense given by every source so that it keeps on par with the monsters the average player of that level would fight. Make criticals deal bonus damage to weakpoints and deal damage as if they're hitting a weak point on any other part. Fix everything about ice technics and the ice skill tree, make more monsters that are weak to wind and dark but not fire, and holy gently caress remove or fix all those other worthless skills.

Edit: also make wand gear make sense. Blowing things up by tapping them with your magical girl wand is amazing but then the execution is so counter-intuitive that it renders it situational and underwhelming.

Another complaint here: it seems like elemental damage is completely buggy. I have 5 red mechguns +7 with 50 attribute on light, dark, fire,lightning and ice. A normal attack on an enemy weak to fire with the fire weapon does 50 per shot. A normal attack on an enemy weak to fire with the ice weapon does... the exact same amount of damage. A weapon without an element does less damage than both, though. I hope they fix stuff like this, since elements were a rather big deal on PSU, as were damage% on PSO.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

nerdz posted:

Another complaint here: it seems like elemental damage is completely buggy. I have 5 red mechguns +7 with 50 attribute on light, dark, fire,lightning and ice. A normal attack on an enemy weak to fire with the fire weapon does 50 per shot. A normal attack on an enemy weak to fire with the ice weapon does... the exact same amount of damage. A weapon without an element does less damage than both, though. I hope they fix stuff like this, since elements were a rather big deal on PSU, as were damage% on PSO.

This may be because red weapons are rumored to lower your dex by 30%, thereby increasing your damage range by leagues. Dunno how true it is, and I don't know if 30% reduction in dex would really be enough to account for such differences in damage.

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
The way elements work is that they add extra damage of that specific element to all attacks. For enemies that are weak (typical weaknesses are like 1.1-1.2x damage), I think the only thing that is multiplied is the extra damage. For something that is doing only 50 per hit...that might only be like 1 damage. Try testing it again with stronger attacks and on different weapons, as the red weapons give you huge damage variance.

Note: I might be completely wrong on the way the element stuff is calculated, but that's what I would guess based on what I've observed.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Surprise Noodle posted:

The way elements work is that they add extra damage of that specific element to all attacks. For enemies that are weak (typical weaknesses are like 1.1-1.2x damage), I think the only thing that is multiplied is the extra damage. For something that is doing only 50 per hit...that might only be like 1 damage. Try testing it again with stronger attacks and on different weapons, as the red weapons give you huge damage variance.

This is my understanding of it as well: even enemies who aren't weak to an element still take more damage from a 50% [element] than something with no element.

So for example if your weapon has 500 ATK and 50% Fire, it has 500 ATK plus 250 Fire damage (750 total). So if an enemy is weak to Fire, your 250*1.1 becomes 275 (or 300 if 1.2), and your new total ATK is 775 (800 if using 1.2x). If they aren't weak to that element, you've still got 750 ATK.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Killbot posted:

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

The way elemental bonus damage is calculated for weapons is pretty much a mystery, really. Theoretically, it adds the amount of elemental strength to your attack strength for damage calculations with an additional bonus if you're using the correct element, this is then supposedly fed through the normal damage formula and adjusted for DEX. However, in game info claims that the higher the base damage is, the more elemental damage you will do. Strictly speaking, this should be true since you're comparing a higher ATK number against enemy DEF, but this doesn't seem to make a major difference in observable damage numbers when going against the wrong element. There isn't enough available data on enemy stats or damage formulas to figure out exactly what's going on.

Also, re Just Guard: it is very much a matter of taste. For defense, I would rather drop a few points above the minimum into Step Advance to get more i-frames that let me maintain mobility and reposition, immediately cancel into a Step Attack to punish, and avoid spending PP on an ability that doesn't do any damage. The stuff that can kill you through a regular Guard can be easily avoided through movement, so it really just comes down to how much you value mobility. It's also really cool to just totally juke bosses and smack them during their follow through. The Braver ability to do damage just by guarding is something that really should have been tacked onto Just Guard instead of the crappy Just Counter.

Protocol 5 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 10, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I wish you a happy marriage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9GFz71VhcA

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

What the gently caress. Nuns arent supposed to do that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Also, when Herb sits, he looks remarkably familiar.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

Random thought: all of the Techs currently in the game are described as being either elementary (初級) or intermediate (中級), except Na Zan, which is advanced (上級), so it stands to reason that at some point they'll be putting in Na Techs at for the other elements, but leaves the question of what they'll do for Wind. All the other elements have some utility tech except Lightning, but it's hard to imagine what kind of effect a Wind utility Tech would have.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Protocol 5 posted:

Random thought: all of the Techs currently in the game are described as being either elementary (初級) or intermediate (中級), except Na Zan, which is advanced (上級), so it stands to reason that at some point they'll be putting in Na Techs at for the other elements, but leaves the question of what they'll do for Wind. All the other elements have some utility tech except Lightning, but it's hard to imagine what kind of effect a Wind utility Tech would have.

Na-techs for the other elements are listed in the data, and since wind inflicts mirage which affects accuracy, a potential support wind tech could buff dex/crit rate and damage/dodge rate possibly
and lighting has zondeel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011
For what it's worth, it's called Zanverse. No ideas on what it will do.

• Locked thread