Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

So is this basically the zombie game that everyone has always wanted since zombie games have been a thing? I ask because I'm a PC user and I can't try it myself, and a Goon let's play won't be around for at least 3 months.

It's buggy as gently caress and rough around the edges, and has a few flaws, but it's still excellent. I've gotten more enjoyment out of this $20 game than I have out of most $60 games. It's got all the stuff people have been saying zombie games need for years - managing a group of survivors, dealing with their personalities and relationships and issues, scavenging supplies to keep them alive, fortifying and upgrading a home base for them to live and work out of...it's a game whose focus is primarily on surviving and thriving in the apocalypse rather than stabbing zombies (although there's plenty of that too). It even has a working stealth system and incorporates noise as a gameplay element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Party Plane Jones posted:

Cop cars are the easiest to do this quickly because of the siren.
I can't figure out how to turn them on. :(

Edit: I personally have yet to see a bug which broke the game outside of crashes so far, although I've come close with mission NPCs stuck in a bathroom with a glitched and un-activatable door, stuck in walls, etc , which could be overcome by keeping a pair of backup molotov/grenades in my pocket.

I parked a car in a shed door once, which was the same shed that had a feral in it, and it flipped over and jammed itself ikn the doroway. Eventually I fired a few shots and taunted it and he blew through the car mostly unscathed, and I was able to finish him. Another time a zombie target was in a bathroom and I had to blow them up through the door. It's janky enough to allow for janky improvisation, too. ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 10, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

I can't figure out how to turn them on. :(

Edit: I personally have yet to see a bug which broke the game outside of crashes so far, although I've come close with mission NPCs stuck in a bathroom with a glitched and un-activatable door, stuck in walls, etc , which could be overcome by keeping a pair of backup molotov/grenades in my pocket.

I parked a car in a shed door once, which was the same shed that had a feral in it, and it flipped over and jammed itself ikn the doroway. Eventually I fired a few shots and taunted it and he blew through the car mostly unscathed, and I was able to finish him. Another time a zombie target was in a bathroom and I had to blow them up through the door. It's janky enough to allow for janky improvisation, too. ;)

I believe it's the A button.

EDIT: My first survivor in trouble mission I clipped through the front door of the house without even trying to open it. Just ran straight through. I prefer to think that Marcus is such a badass that he can just phase through solid objects when the need arises.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 10, 2013

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Jonny Retro posted:

I prefer to think that Marcus is such a badass that he can just phase through solid objects when the need arises.

My favorite glitch that happened so far was when I hit a little speedbump that sent my pickup truck flipping end over end and Marcus fell out, landed perfectly on his feet, and turned to look at a zombie. Who promptly ran off.

I assume the zombie was going to where the big giant truck explosion was, but I like to think that all undead know to fear Marcus by now.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I backed a pickup truck into a wall just as zombies were leaping over it, leading to the zombies standing on the truck. The vehicle physics didn't like that one bit. I didn't see where the truck landed.

I have plenty of guns and ammo and weapons now where I'm starting to get a little cocky again, which can only lead to someone getting ripped in half pretty soon. With all the people that go missing I kind of consider them all whiny babies now so at least when one finally bites it I won't feel too bad. Hope that patch comes through soon.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I went to my first barricade mission, over the course of the mission I must've attracted at minimum 4 hoards, including a big fucker who took a lot of effort to put down. I eventually, after like 15 minutes, had to go "gently caress this" and sneak out the back door to kill a straggler or two.

So I'm feeling pretty good, after working through all my on hand supplies and breaking all my melee weapons. Two minutes after I leave, the same loving house is under siege again. :suicide:

I've had pretty good luck with special zombies so far. I hid from the big dude by keeping a shop counter between us and just shooting/beating the poo poo out of him. I went hunting a feral and I just beat the poo poo out of it singlehanded. I met a screamer, didn't know it was special, blew it's head up and it unleashed a hellish cry... Which attracted no zombies "That was weird :v:"

Is it just me or is aiming so hard as to make guns near useless? Even the aim assist seems to snap to the torso, and the zeds move so much it doesn't matter anyway.

I love this game :allears:

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 10, 2013

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Prison Warden posted:

I went to my first barricade mission, over the course of the mission I must've attracted at minimum 4 hoards, including a big fucker who took a lot of effort to put down. I eventually, after like 15 minutes, had to go "gently caress this" and sneak out the back door to kill a straggler or two.

So I'm feeling pretty good, after working through all my on hand supplies and breaking all my melee weapons. Two minutes after I leave, the same loving house is under siege again. :suicide:

I've had pretty good luck with special zombies so far. I hid from the big dude by keeping a shop counter between us and just shooting/beating the poo poo out of him. I went hunting a feral and I just beat the poo poo out of it singlehanded. I met a screamer, didn't know it was special, blew it's head up and it unleashed a hellish cry... Which attracted no zombies "That was weird :v:"

Is it just me or is aiming so hard as to make guns near useless? Even the aim assist seems to snap to the torso, and the zeds move so much it doesn't matter anyway.

I love this game :allears:

When the aim assist locks onto the torso, hit it again to snap to the head.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Are we sure the Pastor's illness and death is scripted? He died fairly early in my first game, but in my current game I'm much further along in the story and moved to Snyder Trucking quite a long time ago and he's still alive and kicking.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Drakenel posted:

When the aim assist locks onto the torso, hit it again to snap to the head.

Is there a button for aim assist? I notice guns suddenly getting really gummy and hard to aim off of a specific zombie sometimes but I thought that was all there was and I never know how I'm triggering it.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Mister Bates posted:

Are we sure the Pastor's illness and death is scripted? He died fairly early in my first game, but in my current game I'm much further along in the story and moved to Snyder Trucking quite a long time ago and he's still alive and kicking.

My pastor got better and was good for days. Then Alan the dickhead shot him.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So does establishing outposts grant a trickle of resources or something? I seem to remember clearing out one where I established an OP but there's now more resources.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Shadowlz posted:

My pastor got better and was good for days. Then Alan the dickhead shot him.

Alan did the same thing in my game. Then he went to the Diner and shot himself.

I just got Marcus killed. I was bringing him back from a missing survivor mission and decided to take on a horde. Then we got blind sided by a second horde, probably because Cecila (me) was screaming about Jesus and firing off a .45, it was too much and Marcus blew himself up. Saved Cecila though, who's also my construction expert and a boxing champ.

Sedisp posted:

So does establishing outposts grant a trickle of resources or something? I seem to remember clearing out one where I established an OP but there's now more resources.

Yeah, they can. It's every 24 real time hours I think. Unless I'm misunderstanding, and your search stashes are re-spawning, then I don't now.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 10, 2013

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Jonny Retro posted:

Alan did the same thing in my game. Then he went to the Diner and shot himself.

Same here. Except I took Alan to the local Swine and Dine restaurant and introduced him to the horrors of talking dolls.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I've been experimenting a bit with leaving resources untouched to facilitate respawns of a building, and am wondering if anyone has calculated what the actual in-game effects of calling in a scavenger are - do they fill up an inventory based on their at-that-moment loadout space, do they get a magic bag of holding and strip every item in the vicinity?

This is kind of important in terms of gauging how to set up a semi-infinite pool of resource s and I'm curious if anybody else has been loving around with (and then trying to observe and gauge the effects of) that sort of stuff while playing.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I've been experimenting a bit with leaving resources untouched to facilitate respawns of a building, and am wondering if anyone has calculated what the actual in-game effects of calling in a scavenger are - do they fill up an inventory based on their at-that-moment loadout space, do they get a magic bag of holding and strip every item in the vicinity?

They grab one resource and any extra loot they have space in their inventory.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

They've really covered a lot of possible sequences of events in this game. Minor spoiler about how some random missions can turn out:

So Ed's coming back from the Wilkersons with a nice new cache of weapons and decides, what the hell, he'll go and check out a Scavenger report on the way. A couple minutes drive out to the location in the woods and he helps this girl fend off some zeds, they split the contents of a campsite, and he agrees to give her a lift back to her friends.

She gives the directions and wouldn't you know, it's the old haven at the Church! So they bomb lazily through the town, up the road, and park the car. Being the nice (lonely) guy that he is, Ed agrees to walk her inside. That's when they realize, hey, it's awfully quiet...

Right as they are heading up the stairs to the front door, it bursts wide open and out pours a handful of zeds, just as more are climbing over the wall behind! They fight their way inside and that's when the girl sees it: all her friends had been torn apart by the zeds while she was gone.

Once the dust settles, Ed agrees to bring the poor traumatized girl back to the shipping yard where the gang is holed up these days. A new blank, bereaved face among the huddled masses and another footsoldier in the war against the hungry dead.

Maybe he'll get a new girlfriend out the deal. He certainly deserves it; that boy is a loving surgeon with his Falchion.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So does everyone get a eulogy when they die? I know Ed does since he had the poor luck of running unarmed right into a feral, and I know Maya does because in my bugged first play through I accidentally fell her off of the radio tower into a group of zombies, but does every survivor? I haven't really felt like it'd be a great idea to just get a few people killed just to test it out.

Also when you need to move to a new base does it count the materials you have invested into your old base in the "cost"? I had some house loaded up with a facility in every spot then I moved to the garage and thought that maybe I wasted all those facility making materials.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:
Had to put the game down as all the bugs finally pissed me off enough. Can't make progress through the storyline because I'm constantly having to save runners (Since I'm already getting all the supplies, what the gently caress are these people doing anyways). The constant loss of moral due to Infestations I can't see is mind numbing, and last but not least I lost my main dude Marcus (who I had maxed all his skills) because he glitched into a Big Un.

This game would be much more enjoyable if they actually did something about all the god damned bugs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The game has been out for less than a week. I'm sure they're working on bug fixes.

Tyskil posted:

So does everyone get a eulogy when they die? I know Ed does since he had the poor luck of running unarmed right into a feral, and I know Maya does because in my bugged first play through I accidentally fell her off of the radio tower into a group of zombies, but does every survivor? I haven't really felt like it'd be a great idea to just get a few people killed just to test it out.

She says stuff but I think it only gets specific for set characters like Maya, Marcus and Ed. I got a random guy killed and Lilly just gave a generic speech about people dying.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Korlac posted:

This game would be much more enjoyable if they actually did something about all the god damned bugs.

They put together a really beefy patch with both bug fixes and gameplay improvements (like reducing the Infestations effect to only those within 500m of your Home!) on like day 2. Blame Microsoft for the patch being held up in certification.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

She says stuff but I think it only gets specific for set characters like Maya, Marcus and Ed. I got a random guy killed and Lilly just gave a generic speech about people dying.
Sam has a unique one.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Croccers posted:

Sam has a unique one.

I assume Lilly's brother does too, although I'm not about to run him out and get him killed just to check.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

MagnumOpus posted:

They put together a really beefy patch with both bug fixes and gameplay improvements (like reducing the Infestations effect to only those within 500m of your Home!) on like day 2. Blame Microsoft for the patch being held up in certification.

Fair enough, but I primarily blame them for shipping the game like this.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Mister Bates posted:

I assume Lilly's brother does too, although I'm not about to run him out and get him killed just to check.

Yes. Yes he does.

:(

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Let me tell the sad tale of Maya the Brave.

I'm playing as Maya, and Ray won't shut up about visiting him in Marshall. Alright, fine, so Maya drives down there and is asked to deliver some truck parts to some jerks out in the middle of nowhere that are hiding in a barn.

'Help us barricade the barn,' they say. Maya assists for a while, and suddenly realizes that perhaps the police cruiser could make short work of the zombies trying to get into the windows. Maya makes a good pass and clears most of the zombies from the windows, throws the car into reverse, and unfortunately backs right into a large propane tank, which explodes, destroying the cop car and ejecting Maya some hundreds of feet away.

Severely injured, Maya returns to the barn to help. Suddenly a big zombie appears, and Maya does her best to help. Somehow, the group defeats the zombies, and Maya heads home.

Here's where things get truly tragic.

Maya returns to the church to get some well deserved rest only to discover there are no other playable survivors. They've all gone missing. Fortunately, they seem to be in the area, just a block or so away from the church.

Maya eats a handful of codeine and trucker pills and reluctantly heads out to find her lost companions.

Stepping out of the truck, Maya is set upon by a feral. She attempts to shoot the feral, but suddenly realizes the gun hasn't been reloaded! She begins to run, but falls down a small embankment, where more zombies are waiting. Frantically, she runs toward the truck, but it's too late.

Farewell Maya. :salute:

Bugs and glitches aside, this game really does have some special moments.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tyskil posted:

Also when you need to move to a new base does it count the materials you have invested into your old base in the "cost"? I had some house loaded up with a facility in every spot then I moved to the garage and thought that maybe I wasted all those facility making materials.

My Ed got overrun by a zombie horde and blew himself up with a grenade, and no one in the camp gave a poo poo.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good in depth wikis for this, yet? I've just been hit with the too many infestation bugs and think I'll be taking a break until the patch before starting a new game. I was way too accepting of random survivors.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

jwh posted:

Maya eats a handful of codeine and trucker pills and reluctantly heads out to find her lost companions.

Stepping out of the truck, Maya is set upon by a feral. She attempts to shoot the feral, but suddenly realizes the gun hasn't been reloaded! She begins to run, but falls down a small embankment, where more zombies are waiting. Frantically, she runs toward the truck, but it's too late.
Drugs 're bad, mmkay? :catdrugs:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm going to be away from my xbox for about 3 days and I'm really curious as to how bad my save is going to be when I get back.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Sankis posted:

I'm going to be away from my xbox for about 3 days and I'm really curious as to how bad my save is going to be when I get back.

The game stops "living" after 24 hours I believe. So you'll have 24 hours worth of poo poo to deal with.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Are there any good in depth wikis for this, yet? I've just been hit with the too many infestation bugs and think I'll be taking a break until the patch before starting a new game. I was way too accepting of random survivors.

The game's been out for less than a week, so I doubt there's much content on any wikis yet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For some weird reason this game makes my Xbox run 3 times louder than normal. I'm scared its going to explode.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Does anyone know what all of the icons for stats on guns represent? I imagine it's something to do with accuracy, loudness, damage, ???.

e:

Teeter fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 10, 2013

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

The one you have marked as damage/crit chance is recoil but otherwise correct.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
If you put up a fixed version I'll throw it in the second post.

I'm planning on sorting it out this week so it isn't such a mess.

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
I had a weird glitch that work in my favor. Every person that had a handgun equiped, had 100 shots in the clip.

Also, the best way to wander around without side missions popping up is to do this.
- Do a search and rescue side mission.
- Find the person and have them follow you.
- Investigate all you want, just don't go to your home base.

All the other side missions seem to be paused, so you can explore all those buildings with no hassles and with a buddy.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

UnholyCow posted:

The one you have marked as damage/crit chance is recoil but otherwise correct.

It's not my image, sorry. Grabbed it from here. It also says there that with certain guns you can load a magazine, then hit reload again to add an extra bullet to the chamber. No gun I've tried has had this work so far but it's an awesome feature if true.

Is gun damage just dependent on the bullet caliber then?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Teeter posted:

It's not my image, sorry. Grabbed it from here. It also says there that with certain guns you can load a magazine, then hit reload again to add an extra bullet to the chamber. No gun I've tried has had this work so far but it's an awesome feature if true.

Is gun damage just dependent on the bullet caliber then?

I can confirm that you can chamber a bullet and then reload. It doesn't work with revolvers and some shotguns from what I've seen, probably some rifles as well. After you load the gun lower it and wait a second then reload it. It's a little finicky so you may have try a few times.

I think it is just the caliber, and maybe type, of weapon that determines damage.

EDIT: I lost Jacob and Maya as well. No one cared that Maya died because she was starting to piss everyone off. Now Ed's on a meth fulled killing spree trying to beat back some of the nearby infestations.

EDIT 2: Lily just said "Construction complete." in the Command and Conquer voice.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 10, 2013

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I've got two guys that I can't use because they're on a mission. They're both standing around my house waiting for me to give them a mercy killing. Both of them are in perfect health. I don't really want to kill them or kick them out...

I also have two other mercy killings pending. One woman that's bleeding heavily, and a guy with a twisted ankle. I'm really tempted to kill him.

The only mercy killing that I've done was for Alan. I didn't want to waste any ammo on him, so I just drop kicked his head to pieces. I'm kinda surprised that none of the other characters had anything to say about this. After all, I gave him a hard time when he did the same thing to the pastor. I liked the pastor! It was nice to be able to call him up for some audio meth!

Lord_Pigeonbane fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jonny Retro posted:

EDIT 2: Lily just said "Construction complete." in the Command and Conquer voice.

She's an utter dork who never got out as a kid. :buddy:

• Locked thread