Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

themrguy posted:

One of my friends is considering joining the military and is leaning towards the navy because evidently the recruiter said that "The Navy needs to be near a port, so you won't get stationed in the middle of Alabama like you would in the Army, the worst place you could possibly end up is Rhode Island, and you're likely to end up in San DIego." Our school (it was an OCS recruiter) is in the middle of a big, interesting city so I guess he was trying to convince him he wouldn't get put in Bumfuck nowhere. Is this actually true? I told him it sounds like a lie.

Depends on the type of officer he ends up being. Pilots end up in bumfuck nowhere all the time, same with medical, supply, anything officer really. Just because it's the Navy it doesn't mean they don't have a land locked base 8 hours north of San Diego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

There's Navy at Scott AFB too, mainly due to being a MAJCOM base and also some aerovac related stuff.

It's the 21st century military, people are everywhere.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
I've seen Navy at almost every AF base I've been to. Except Osan...there is an odd lack of seamen for a place with this much alcohol and testosterone.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
You could end up in Lemoore or China Lake.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
A buddy of mine did four years in the Navy at the base in Oklahoma City.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Rude. posted:

You could end up in Lemoore or China Lake.

Oh, and there's 29 Palms.

Doctor Sex Butts
Feb 8, 2011

Keep rowing little buddy because if dehydration and starvation don't get you first, the horrible things from the depth will. :ohdear:
One of my classmates back in A-school went to Top Gun in Falon, Arizona. Literal bumfuck. The Navy considered getting stationed there same as getting stationed overseas due to the remoteness.

At least she'll get some cool patches and stories.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How the gently caress could you guys forget El Centro or Fallon? So there you have it. 5 (some quite large) bases in literally BFE and or the desert/valley.

All that being said I'd assume the Navy does't have as many lovely mid-west/south bases like AF or Army. But any kind of aviation has a high chance of one of those lovely places above. And the rest depends on how you view Washington, Japan (Okinawa mostly), and Virginia.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Japan is usually lovely based on how many rapes and DUIs you get though, isn't it? I would probably get the boot if the Navy told me I couldn't drown my sorrows in liquor.

mokhtar belmokhtar
May 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
I'd loving hate Japan but lots of people like it, the liberty restrictions do get insane too

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if you get to spend your okinawa time during a relatively quiet/rape-incident-free period, it can be a pretty good time.

If you don't luck out, though, enjoy being secured to base for like 50% of your time there.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I enjoyed the poo poo out of Okinawa, spent 18 months there. Of course that was the late 1990's, and we had minimal if any restrictions on liberty while I was there. It is a great place to do things you might not normally get a chance to do like tons of scuba diving and cliff exploring and such. A lot of the war sites are very interesting as well.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
Speaking of liberty restrictions, the Army just started their "Everyone is either a child or a rape-machine" program here at DLI. All non-prior service have a 9 P.M. curfew every day, can't drink any alcohol even if they live off-post, and are required to walk everywhere with a battle buddy. I feel pretty bad for them.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Redfont posted:

can't drink any alcohol even if they live off-post
lol because that's enforceable

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

shyduck posted:

lol because that's enforceable

I guess it's the same kind of thing as drinking underage. You're only going to get caught if they have a random 100% formation or you get arrested/hospitalized and have booze in your system.

Though lol gently caress you new people.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Is there a flag-level mandate somewhere to crack down on dumb poo poo so people don't want to stay? Like, is there an official reverse force retention initiative where they literally make things suck so people get out?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Just had a pretty good laugh.

One of my friends from LA decided he was going to join a service, against everything I told him because hey, he could still go to school and get a degree that he was interested in (art at the time).

Dude joins the AF, I tell him that's probably the better one for him, but to be ready to go to bumfuck nowhere. "Nah Panda, recruiter said I'll end up at Vandenberg with the job I picked."

"What'd you pick?"

"Security Forces."

Dude is in North Dakota now hating it and I'm here thinking about just going to the beach and taking a pic of myself drinking a beer just for shits and giggles to send it to him.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vandenberg is still kinda in the middle of nowhere depending on how you look at it. And yeah his recruiter hosed him over.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Why the gently caress would recruiters bother lying at this point?

It's gotta be for masturbatory purposes.

Oneday for Life
Feb 2, 2004
Shoe. Explode?!
I was actually pretty happy with my recruiter. Maybe it's because I went in there having actually researched poo poo so he couldn't really bullshit me, or maybe it was because he was a year away from retirement at the sweet age of 38, but he never really gave me the runaround. He made sure I knew what I was getting into and that there would be times I would hate it, but that for my specific purposes, it was still a decent way to accomplish my goals. Then after tech school, he basically told me to not bother coming in for RAP and to just enjoy 12 days of free leave.

Then I'd sit in the chairs away from his desk and listen to him promise the world to shitheads who wanted a waiver for getting a 65 on the ASVAB. I'm confusing myself with these memories.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Oneday for Life posted:

I was actually pretty happy with my recruiter. Maybe it's because I went in there having actually researched poo poo so he couldn't really bullshit me, or maybe it was because he was a year away from retirement at the sweet age of 38, but he never really gave me the runaround. He made sure I knew what I was getting into and that there would be times I would hate it, but that for my specific purposes, it was still a decent way to accomplish my goals. Then after tech school, he basically told me to not bother coming in for RAP and to just enjoy 12 days of free leave.

Then I'd sit in the chairs away from his desk and listen to him promise the world to shitheads who wanted a waiver for getting a 65 on the ASVAB. I'm confusing myself with these memories.

You were an easy sell because you wanted something out of the military that you can actually achieve. Those are the best for a recruiter because they don't have to bullshit and can actually tell you that sometimes this poo poo sucks, but if recruiter man wasn't getting something out of his continued service, he'd be long gone by now.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
How does someone get to become a recruiter? Do you elect to do it, or are you assigned to the duty? My dad recruited for the Army in the mid-80s and genuinely seemed to hate it.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Oxford Comma posted:

How does someone get to become a recruiter? Do you elect to do it, or are you assigned to the duty? My dad recruited for the Army in the mid-80s and genuinely seemed to hate it.

They would always take volunteers. The exact specs I don't know besides being an E5 (I've heard rumors of corporal recruiters but never seen one) and I guess a history of good conduct etc etc. During the surge I think most recruiters got picked for it because I never heard of anyone volunteering and every recruiter I knew hate, hate, HATED it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
When you get promoted to E5/E6, you're at risk to be selected for either recruiter or drill sergeant, if they don't get enough volunteers. It's highly likely that on your quest to be E7, you will have to do at least one of these.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
During the surge years if you volunteered for either recruiter/drill sergeant you had a drat fine chance of getting it. The guys I know who had volunteered for either of those did so as a guaranteed two year break from deploying.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I think it'd be a sweet gig these days when people are constantly coming into the office. They turn people down for some ridiculous poo poo now. I could never pander people at a High School or mall though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I know a guy that did recruiting down in the Tampa area. Clever move, because not only was he down there for a couple of years enjoying life but the high concentration of people who wanted to join made it job very easy. He never had to do any of that canvasing bullshit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean if you do your job but don't blatantly lie and poo poo or loiter malls bugging kids what so they do? I'm sure they have some way to punish you.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

One of the counselors had a friend that was recruiting out in the middle of nowhere. He would pick up kids at the high school, take them out to eat somewhere and then out on a country road would ask them if they were going to join. If they said no he would stop the car and tell them to get out because "the government car is only for employees and people looking to join".

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Pandasmores posted:

One of the counselors had a friend that was recruiting out in the middle of nowhere. He would pick up kids at the high school, take them out to eat somewhere and then out on a country road would ask them if they were going to join. If they said no he would stop the car and tell them to get out because "the government car is only for employees and people looking to join".

I used to tell bullshit stories like that to other recruiters but no one ever really does it. Worst I ever did was ditch a kid at a gas station outside MEPs after he failed the ASVAB for the third time in a row.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

How the gently caress do you fail the asvab?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Score below a 35 AFQT disqualifies you for all services.

When I was at MEPS there was this tubby poo poo who said he was about to sign a contract to be a SEAL and this that and the other, but after we got our scores he broke down and cried because it was his third try and he got a 28. I laughed.

Unfortunately, I went through basic with a handful of dudes who had AFQT waivers :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Don't you get like 25 points for spelling your name correctly?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I feel like you either have to leave questions blank or intentionally answer questions wrong to fail that thing

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Pandasmores posted:

How the gently caress do you fail the asvab?

I have seen kids get single digits on the ASVAB. Multiple times in a row too. You might be asking yourself "Why would you retest a kid that scored single digits?". The answer is, I needed contracts and I had a huge van that we'd do what we called "Rock Runs" with. I'd pile all the stupid kids in who swore they'd been studying and test them all at once. If by some miracle one actually passed, he'd DEP in the next day.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Well....I did see a kid with the Army dudes leave the room crying out of joy because he "finally qualified for Infantry". Single digits? Wow. The MM2 I work with said one of his friends got a 1, but I couldn't believe it.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
So I've been trying to get back in for about 15 months now. I had issues with a lovely recruiter that took up alot of that time but when I finally got a good office and got to MEPS I got declined for my vision in October. My diopters were something like -11.25 -9.5 and that is over the standard. So I went and got lasik about a week after I got declined and now I have super vision. I went back after the six month waiting period is up and got declined again for having a preoperative diopter that exceeded the standard. So the recruiters told me that it was a long shot and that I could try and keep sending the waiver up with additional info and so I went to another doc and had him do pretty much every test he could on my eyes and write a rebuttal to what the Army doc said and make it as technical as possible. I took him like a week to write it and I sent it back up and today my waiver came back as approved. Every recruiter in the office was stunned and hadn't seen that happen since the surge. Goodbye perpetual unemployment! Hello perpetual soul crushing employment! I'm back in!

Just posting this to say that appealing a waiver decision is technically possible but extremely unlikely.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hekk posted:

I have seen kids get single digits on the ASVAB. Multiple times in a row too. You might be asking yourself "Why would you retest a kid that scored single digits?". The answer is, I needed contracts and I had a huge van that we'd do what we called "Rock Runs" with. I'd pile all the stupid kids in who swore they'd been studying and test them all at once. If by some miracle one actually passed, he'd DEP in the next day.
Just out of curiosity, how old were a lot of these people? I weep for education in this country.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
When I took the practice ASVAB in my recruiting office a guy got like a 12. He was seventeen, still in high-school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
It's coming up on time for me to pick a MOS and head off to MEPS. I'm not terribly concerned about what job I get in the Army, but what I really don't want to happen is to get stationed somewhere in Bumblefuck, Alabama with my thumb up my rear end all day. What are some MOS that are most conducive to a foreign deployment?

• Locked thread