Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Nnep posted:

I think everyone should take a step back and analyze the best piece of evidence we have available, which basically breaks down one of the previous images completely. It's the best window into the writers thought process to leaving clues. Now given that each picture could be completely different we can't make the assumption that there is any type of concrete equation, but i believe this is our best tool to solving any of these.

As you notice there are very broad to specific clues that first put us in the general location (tower). Then at least in this particular example, there are more location specific clues that give you two street names. Bell + flower seems quite simple in hindsight, but perhaps goons in these locations can start to analyze street names more carefully (which may propose a problem since the 30 year gap). Then lastly there appears to be at least 3 exact location specific clues in the image, which may or may not be immediately apparent once in the exact area, or at least nearby. It's very easy to analyze something backwards and say it's so obvious, but i definitely think it's worth using our figurative answer key.

Montreal

The lapel has the runic P, X and 7. Flip the 7 over to get L, any maybe it reads where P intersects L?

Peel St. runs by Dominion Park. René Lévesque Boulevard intersects it at that point, but apparently it wasn't actually named that until 1987. Welp. At least Peel street is there!

I was thinking the line

Education and Justice
For all to see

from Verse 7 might be referring to street names since they're capitalized. University St. is nearby, as is McGill College Ave. Justice might refer to Peel St. The street is named after Robert Peel who wikipedia says "helped create the modern concept of the police force, leading to officers being known as "Bobbies" (in England) and "Peelers" (in Northern Ireland)." Unless this is a common-knowledge thing among people who live in Montreal, though, I think it's kind of a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Montreal
(Probably not Verse 2)

stab posted:

id kill for somebody to break down the mtl picture, the ones on the net reference st.louis in them...

Do we have any real consensus on the symbolism beyond the actual legeater itself?

After learning the New Orleans connection to verse 2, I'm sold we need to try and match another verse, and see how the others may or may not align with some of the proposed areas.

Of course it makes everything I said earlier in the thread about the Place du nations relatively meaningless.

I like the Trafalgar school image:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

God I am just ITCHING to drive over to Houston right now to do some scouting/recon, but I have Summer classes starting tomorrow morning and the earliest I'd be able to go out there would be Thursday or Friday.

Nobody better find that cask before I get there and do some actual digging myself, savvy? :toughguy:

ohnorobot
Nov 24, 2006

10> OH
20> NO
30> GOTO 10
For the New Orleans image
Am I crazy or is there a face in the bottom part of the clock?
http://i.imgur.com/ElOdvnI.jpg
Can someone clean it up or have a better scan?
This looks like it could be something as well
http://imgur.com/1kT0TNP

edit:tables

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Merlot Brougham posted:

Montreal
(Probably not Verse 2)

Do we have any real consensus on the symbolism beyond the actual legeater itself?

After learning the New Orleans connection to verse 2, I'm sold we need to try and match another verse, and see how the others may or may not align with some of the proposed areas.

Of course it makes everything I said earlier in the thread about the Place du nations relatively meaningless.

ok bear with me, this is a stretch and a half but it's kinda cool imo

I wiki'ed trafalgar SQUARE (the square in the px thing gave me the idea)

this is a description that shot out at me:

On the north side of the square is the National Gallery and to its east St Martin-in-the-Fields church. The square adjoins The Mall entered through Admiralty Arch to the southwest. To the south is Whitehall, to the east Strand and South Africa House, to the north Charing Cross Road and on the west side Canada House.

to the north we have the church (du monde basilica, which matches the neckline), to the south we have the monument for canada in the Boer war, fought in south africa, to the west we have the john a macdonald statue, the founder of confederacy, and to the south, we have a big rear end white building (the sunlife building). education and justice? we have sir wilfred laurier monument, the founder of our school system. justice? the queen victoria monument of course.

oh and this to say about canada house: Canada House (French: Maison du Canada) is a Greek Revival building on Trafalgar Square in London that is part of the High Commission of Canada in London. Canada House hosts the cultural and consular sections of the High Commission, while the political, trade and administrative functions are carried out from Macdonald House in Mayfair

oh and last thing, the lion i spoke about with the victoria monument is in the SAME position as the lion in trafalgar square at the base of Nelson's statue.

one hell of a stretch, but eh, why not?

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

LargeHadron posted:

Nobody's mentioned Boston in awhile. What do the Q4T forums say about it? Also, who do I gotta sleep with to get access to those forums?

If you figure out how to get accsss please let me know. I registered but never got approved

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
I'm a Montrealer, and I think there's a good chance that the treasure might be in Percy Walters Park. Earlier this week I checked it out, and one of the areas has exactly 21 fence sections, and when the poem says "in the middle of 21" (10.5 round up --> 11) there are "15 rows to the ground" (at the 11th fence section I counted 15 rows of iron bars to the ground, some sections have 16). Percy Walters is also pretty close to Drummond where the Mount Stephens club was. To my knowledge, the park hasn't been significantly renovated since the 80's either.

No matter what the case I'm definitely game to try looking and this thread has been turning up some interesting leads. I live a 10 minute walk from Ile Ste Helene and Ile Notre Dame so I can take pictures if necessary.

EDIT: Here's the fence section I'm talking about. Starting from the park entrance on the right, I counted 21 fence sections until the end of that section.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

So I'm reading through the q4T Montreal/St.Louis thread. Nothing interesting so far, until I got to this which is pretty hillarious:

quote:

Wrll, here is the present status of St. Louis. I suspect the Friedrich Jahn sculpture, in Forest Park, as the site of the treasure. It is U-shaped (verse 2: in the middle of 21=U from end to end), and there ius a recebtly renovated boathouse with a waterway leading up in the direction of the sculpture (verse 2: 15[O???] rows down to the ground.) That last line coukd be a reach; I am puzzled. The plaques on the sculpture are appropriately black and gold, and there is a large center-plaque with two torches in a large X-pattern.
The sculpture features a stern bust with a gymnast to eack side. One of the hands on one of the gymnast's resembles the pointing hand in the pic. Behind the sculpture woukld be a very well hidden place to dig.
So, I decided to dig and . . .
I found something. A glass/plastic vial with a rolled up message inside (1' below surface). You can imagine my excitement when I unrolled the handwritten, photocopied parchment, which reads:
We are many countanances [misspelling], some happy, others severe. We are surrounded by our naturally shapen brothers. Your next clue lays beneath the eastern most of our number.

What?! Huh?! Could I have stumbled on another treasure hunt? One of the gymnasts is more eastern, and I tried to dig a little there, but the ground was too hard.
What in the Fair-Folkin' world?
***I am considering sonar.*** Any advice, Willhouse?

Mad Mafioso
Jan 13, 2009

Supersonic posted:

I'm a Montrealer, and I think there's a good chance that the treasure might be in Percy Walters Park. Earlier this week I checked it out, and one of the areas has exactly 21 fence sections, and when the poem says "in the middle of 21" (10.5 round up --> 11) there are "15 rows to the ground" (at the 11th fence section I counted 15 rows of iron bars to the ground, some sections have 16). Percy Walters is also pretty close to Drummond where the Mount Stephens club was. To my knowledge, the park hasn't been significantly renovated since the 80's either.

No matter what the case I'm definitely game to try looking and this thread has been turning up some interesting leads. I live a 10 minute walk from Ile Ste Helene and Ile Notre Dame so I can take pictures if necessary.

You aren't going to do any rounding. That's ridiculous. Stop that.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

11 is in the middle of 21 though. 1-10, 12-21.

The Q4T thread seems to think that the middle of 21 end to end refers to a U shape, as if you join the two ends of 11 you get a U.

Guuse
May 11, 2009
Montreal

stab posted:

education and justice? we have sir wilfred laurier monument, the founder of our school system. justice? the queen victoria monument of course.

I was pretty lost at how to work Education into the square, but if Wilfred Laurier is the founder of the school systems then that makes perfect sense! I'd pegged John Macdonald for Justice since in addition to being Premier and Prime Minister, he was Attorney General at one time too. Those titles can also fit the "three high posts" line in Verse 7 in the sense that they're government posts rather than physical objects. The two statues are directly facing each other, right? So they'd probably be kind of be naturally tied together in the eyes of someone walking through?

So I think the following lines make sense:

At stone wall's door
The air smells sweet

The cathedral door leading to Place du Canada. The sweet smell is the burning incense from religious ceremonies maybe? Here's a picture of the door in question. Looking at it in Google Street View really makes the "stone wall's door" jump out. Does it look obvious to you in person or am I just imagining things?

Not far away
High posts are three

John Macdonald statue.

Education and Justice
For all to see

The Macdonald and Laurier statues paired together.

Sounds from the sky

Church bells in a tower. It looks like there may be one at Saint George's, and Saint Patrick (which is close but not right on the square) has one. Does the Du Monde Cathedral?

Near ace is high

No idea. The picture that was posted earlier of Saint Patrick's Bascillica had a windows that kind of looks like an ace, but I think that's kind of a stretch to link it directly to this verse. Is there anything else in the are that looks like an ace?

Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention
Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

edit: this is referencing Verse 7.

Imazul
Sep 3, 2006

This was actually a lot more bearable than most of you made it out to be.

Guuse posted:

Montreal

In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention
Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

edit: this is referencing Verse 7.
Probably a repost but Verse 7 is probably the only other verse that could fit Montreal mostly because of the Twain reference. There is this super famous quote by Mark Twain about Montreal

quote:

Nicknamed "la ville aux cent clochers" (the city of a hundred belltowers), Montreal is renowned for its churches. As described by Mark Twain, "This is the first time I was ever in a city where you couldn't throw a brick without breaking a church window."

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011
Cask 6

OK so I changed my mind about St. Augustine vs. Miami. I noticed on some other site (can't find a link now?) that the first letter of the last five lines of Verse 9 spells "SELOY" - the name of the Indian tribe that are part of the history of Saint Augustine.

Additionally, I've been looking at the symbol on the flag the Spanish dude is holding. I noticed that if you ignore the circle, you have something like the outline of the Castillo de San Marcos - a "star fort" shaped like a square with four pointed corners. Additionally, the Castillo is made from shells bonded together into limestone - which appear in the verse.

So we've got a Spanish guy standing on a pile of rocks by the sea holding a flag with a symbol reminiscent of a star fort - that's gotta be St. Augustine.

I traced over some of the more interesting shapes in the cask 6 image. I've been going through maps of the streets and parks in St. Augustine, looking for stuff that a local might recognize as matching the patterns, but without much luck.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Cask 1

First time in the thread, just noticed on the mock up that what could possibly be a pelican wasn't identified. Which could just be another mention of Alcatraz since it was called The Island of the Pelicans.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Charleston

This is a little crazy, but someone said they wanted the pine+pear to be a wordplay. Well, the pine looks like a larch to me. Pear+larch = pearl arch?

Guuse
May 11, 2009
Montreal

Merlot Brougham posted:

Montreal
(Probably not Verse 2)

I think facades like that were fairly common once upon a time, but interestingly enough the Trafalgar School is in line with the George Stephens Club, the Dorchester Square/Place du Canada combo, Habitat 67 and the finish line of the race track on Ile Notre-Dame. It's also right by Parc Percy-Walter, which is a location that Supersonic was interested in.

Here's another example that is sort of in the same general area.

That is the Royal Victoria Hospital and it was bought for the city by George Stephen of all people. It's a hike from the other places that we're talking about, though, so it's probably a stretch. If we were to use Verse 2:

Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!

The "sovereign" could refer to Queen Victoria, it's certainly palatial and the "heads for a night" might be talking about temporary stays, like in a hospital.

Supersonic posted:

EDIT: Here's the fence section I'm talking about. Starting from the park entrance on the right, I counted 21 fence sections until the end of that section.

I guess we're kind of off Verse 2 and expo-chat since it's looking like it may be for New Orleans instead, but if you're up for a walk you could go over to Ile Sainte-Helene and:

1) Check if you can see the totem from the native Canadian's exhibit on Ile Notre-Dame from the Place du Nations.
2) Going over to the totem and following the direction that it's facing to look for something referencing gnomes or faeries.

We don't know for sure that Verse 2 really applies to New Orleans until they actually dig up a cask, so continuing to try to follow it while also looking at Verse 7/Dominion Square stuff would still be reasonable. If nothing else, the flower gardens on Ile Notre Dame look like they'd be nice to walk through.

Imazul posted:

Probably a repost but Verse 7 is probably the only other verse that could fit Montreal mostly because of the Twain reference. There is this super famous quote by Mark Twain about Montreal

I came across that line a bit ago and tried to make a connection to the Pioneers' Obelisk maybe being in front of the Old Custom House in 1982 (giant pole) and the Notre Dame Basilica in the background, but in hindsight it seems like a huge stretch to go there starting from Place du Canada. I think that you're probably right in it being one of Montreal's churches, though. There really are a ton of them! The Saint Patrick Basilica that MassaShowtime posted earlier has a prominent round window that sort of looks like the flower in the picture.

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

Merlot Brougham posted:

I wanted to add to this thought, because I myself have expressed extreme skepticism about relying on passages from the book Abroad In America to interpret clues. The "Edwin and Edwina named after him" connection seemed incredibly tenuous to me, so I assumed that this connection was equally lame. It didn't help that the link to Google Books on this page didn't actually reveal the matching quote. However, after screwing around with Google Books for a second, I managed to produce the full passage:

Abroad In America's authors posted:

Traveling by steamboat down the Mississippi to New Orleans, Sarmiento sighted, as he neared the city, a dome which “brought to mind the dome of Saint Peter’s in Rome which you can see from all positions of the compass as if it were the only thing there… At last I was going to see in the United States a basilica designed along classic lines and on a scale dignified enough for religion. Someone asked us if we had hotel arrangements and suggested the Saint Charles as the best appointed… The Saint Charles, which lifted its proud head above the surrounding hills and woods, the Saint Charles, which had called up my memory of Saint Peter’s in Rome, was no more than a hotel!”

Here is the sovereign people who build palaces to shelter their heads for a night! Here is the religion which is dedicated to man as man, and here the marvels of art are lavished on the glorification of the masses.”

Oh. Oh, so it's the entire line. Word-for-word. Huh. Wow.

Domingo Faustino Sarmiento was an Argentinian statesman in the 19th century. I still don't really trust the "Edwin and Edwina" connection to Abroad In America; we don't even really know that Preiss found the Sarmiento quote in that particular book. But these lines in Verse 2 seem to definitely be a reference to the Saint Charles Hotel in New Orleans, which is only a dozen blocks from Louis Armstrong Park, which has long been suspected to be the hiding place of the New Orleans cask based on the image alone. So maybe we should do a bit more work on trying to find more New Orleans clues in Verse 2.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
if we go north past the church door, it brings us to the second park where macdonald is. what about giant pole giant step? thats what is bugging me, was there or is there a giant pole there? im guessing veres 7 is very close based off the last observations...

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Autumn2May posted:

NYC

I skimmed the thread looking through the NYC posts and I have a suggestion that I don't think was mentioned yet. What if the grey giant is the "great gray bridge" from the book The Little Red Lighthouse. For those of you unfamiliar with the book, it's the story of Jeffrey’s Hook lighthouse and the building of the George Washington Bridge over it. I took a look at Google maps and the arches on the top and bottom of the bridge match the arch in the pic. The river would be the water and on the lighthouse side of the river there is a large section of tennis courts that could be the rectangle in the bottom left panel (though I'm not sure how old they are). You would hear cars nearby and in the summer, since you're in/near woods, you would hear a "whirring sound" being made by cicadas.

I know there is an old fort nearby, but I'm not sure about statues or Native American settlements. Also the sign might refer to one of the signs on the bridge? But I'm not sure what signs are on the bridge, as I haven't been through the area in a long time.

What if the image's connections with New York aren't for the city but for the state? The connected poem reads:

Preiss posted:

In the shadow
Of the grey giant

What if thats referring to how the city always eclipses the rest of the state?

My theory with this is that there is that email where Preiss claims that the verses play an important role in the puzzles. The verse for 12 reads:

Preiss posted:

A Topaz is the Russian prize:
The royal sunstone, frozen fire.

Well, sunstone is a completely different gem than a Topaz. Incidently, there are significant sunstone deposits near Crown Point (royal), New York. Crown point is also the site of one of two bridges (slender path) across Lake Champlain, which was a toll bridge (arm that extends over) until 1987. Some of the other lines aren't a stretch, but I don't have any good suggestions.

e: There's an old fort near the bridge, and a monument to Champlain, but I'm not sure either are helpful.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

stab posted:

if we go north past the church door, it brings us to the second park where macdonald is. what about giant pole giant step? thats what is bugging me, was there or is there a giant pole there? im guessing veres 7 is very close based off the last observations...

Heh. Maybe they were where that new skyscraper is SE the Du Monde Cathedral. Speaking of which, if you get the chance to take some more pictures of Place du Canada can you take some clear ones of these?

On Street View this looks like you can use the stones under the alcove thing to match the lower part of the geometric bit in the legeater square. Maybe the round bit at the top of the object in the picture is supposed to be the alcove, and the next row down is the light colored stone right below the alcove:

Looking at it from up the street a bit it looks looks like it may fit pretty closely.

Here it is with a rough outline of what I hope shows up in a good photo.

From the picture:

Also, it looks like there might be some interesting detail on this grill.

Coincidentally, I think that this is roughly where the hoof in the picture would touch if the legeater square in the picture were to be laid over the Golden Square Mile.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Guys, I think I finally figured out what that wierd tree-branch shape on the left side of the Cask 8 painting is supposed to be...

It's a turned-around number '2'.

Or the letter "J"

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

Guuse posted:

Montreal

The lapel has the runic P, X and 7. Flip the 7 over to get L, any maybe it reads where P intersects L?

Peel St. runs by Dominion Park. René Lévesque Boulevard intersects it at that point, but apparently it wasn't actually named that until 1987. Welp. At least Peel street is there!

I was thinking the line

Education and Justice
For all to see

from Verse 7 might be referring to street names since they're capitalized. University St. is nearby, as is McGill College Ave. Justice might refer to Peel St. The street is named after Robert Peel who wikipedia says "helped create the modern concept of the police force, leading to officers being known as "Bobbies" (in England) and "Peelers" (in Northern Ireland)." Unless this is a common-knowledge thing among people who live in Montreal, though, I think it's kind of a stretch.

That 7 is definitely the rune for L, the runic P stands for W (or v is also accepted).

I can buy into the X being the month determiner for this cask which is October.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

crashdome posted:

I'll try and do that. When I saw it, I was in a hurry to get somewhere. It got me very excited but, the problem is that there are no culverts directly near it and no obvious "grand 200". I mean, it should be obvious for the rest of the clues but, I just don't see any along the lake front except the multitude of bridges, culverts, and staircases. Which I also had a thought... what if he meant 1,000 and 200? (i.e. 1200)

Has any Milwaukee goon got into the Q4T forum yet? If not, I could probably be one to pour over the pages of discussion because I bus a lot in the summer and nothing better for me to do for 30-40 mins at a pop than read.

edit: Also, my stepfather loves harpsichords and he thinks there is something in the Art Museum. I'll admit, I've been there a few times over the years but, never remembered anything of the permanent collection. I do want to get to Villa Terrace though. At least I will ask them how many steps there are.

What if the "grand 200" is to me "thousand of 200", so maybe not stairs, since 2k steps is a long, but 2k of something associated with 200. (again, I have no clue what that 200 would be tho). I'm just trying to see if there is another meaning by the "grand 200".

Troubleshooting in ya will!

Guuse
May 11, 2009
Montreal
Proposed solution!

Guuse posted:

I came across that line a bit ago and tried to make a connection to the Pioneers' Obelisk maybe being in front of the Old Custom House in 1982 (giant pole) and the Notre Dame Basilica in the background, but in hindsight it seems like a huge stretch to go there starting from Place du Canada. I think that you're probably right in it being one of Montreal's churches, though. There really are a ton of them! The Saint Patrick Basilica that MassaShowtime posted earlier has a prominent round window that sort of looks like the flower in the picture.

The more I think about that is totally the right cathedral for

Sounds from the sky
Near ace is high

That window really looks a lot like an ace of clubs.

In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention

We're already at a cathedral. So how about the St. Lawrence River for the object of Twain's attention? It's running north just east from here, right? So if we head off in that direction we can take Beaver Hall Rd./McGill and run into Victoria Square. How big is the statue of her there? She looks to be taking a step and is holding a rod, so could she be the "giant pole, giant step?" Maybe the cask is in the direction that she is facing in the park!

Or it looks like there is a flower bed at the foot of her monument, so maybe there!

Her hands looked interesting in the picture that I saw. Do the finger placements match the ones in the puzzle-pic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Memorial_(Montreal)

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007

justsomedude posted:

Abroad In America' quote

“Here is the sovereign people who build palaces to shelter their heads for a night!"

I think the most important part of that quote is that it's a reference to a hotel. Possibly to Mount Royal Hotel?

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011

Nnep posted:

I think everyone should take a step back and analyze the best piece of evidence we have available, which basically breaks down one of the previous images completely. It's the best window into the writers thought process to leaving clues. Now given that each picture could be completely different we can't make the assumption that there is any type of concrete equation, but i believe this is our best tool to solving any of these.

As you notice there are very broad to specific clues that first put us in the general location (tower). Then at least in this particular example, there are more location specific clues that give you two street names. Bell + flower seems quite simple in hindsight, but perhaps goons in these locations can start to analyze street names more carefully (which may propose a problem since the 30 year gap). Then lastly there appears to be at least 3 exact location specific clues in the image, which may or may not be immediately apparent once in the exact area, or at least nearby. It's very easy to analyze something backwards and say it's so obvious, but i definitely think it's worth using our figurative answer key.

Also, that shows how the Greek theme tied into the picture.

So for Montreal we'd be looking for tying in the Netherlands to the clues that are on the picture.

PunkNickel
Oct 29, 2011
Cask 11/ Montreal

Nnep posted:

Since it was established by Absolute Lithops that the Netherlands are associated with this cask I started going through Netherlands History.

1 quick similarity I see between the picture and history is that 1 of the 12 provinces: North Brabants flag is the "purina" checkerboard. So that matches up.

The Coat of Arms has 3 lions two raised on back paws with snarling mouths with tongues, with a middle lion wearings a crown,it has a sword in his right hand and holds 7 arrows in his left hand. The legeaters in a way do resemble the lions from the coat of arms, but it's a bit of a stretch. The motto is "Je Maintrendrai": I will uphold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coat_of_arms_of_the_Netherlands.svg

There have been quite a few well known artists including M.C. Escher, Rembrandt, and Van Gogh. The famous philosophers were Erasrius, Descartes', and Van Leeuwenhoek.

I also noticed on the Coat Of Arms it has a dome shape, with a crown ontop. One other thing I noticed is that coat of arms has like a "fabric backdrop and it has "folds" on it. It "loosely" resembles the collar on the guy s shirt.

I still have a lot more reading to do, it's just too late and I'm getting punchy.

There are some similarities, but nothing jumps out like the one I'm quoting, atleast not to me, anyway.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Copy here for $3 if you're quick. Anyone going to scan in the introduction?

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

BJG posted:

Copy here for $3 if you're quick. Anyone going to scan in the introduction?

I was quick! I wanted to see how the book itself was laid out. I'll scan the intro when it arrives, unless somebody else already has a copy.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

For what it's worth, I took the face in the robe for Cask 12, mirrored it, and lined up the nose to make a complete face.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

A few pictures from Pere Marquette Park.

A plaque on a rock on the northwest corner of the park in front of a birch tree.

A birch tree showing the gnarled roots.

A birch tree showing the branches.

Several older birch trees on the north end of the park.

A weird bicentennial plaque near the historical society building. There is buried treasure here!!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Very Nice Eraser posted:

I was quick! I wanted to see how the book itself was laid out. I'll scan the intro when it arrives, unless somebody else already has a copy.

How about the whole rest of the book? What else is there in the 200 pages and why are they being ignored?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

How about the whole rest of the book? What else is there in the 200 pages and why are they being ignored?

I think someone is hiding the pages that have the answers on them.

wezyap
Jul 29, 2005

A sexually satisfied ninja is less likely to try to kill you.

GWBBQ posted:

For what it's worth, I took the face in the robe for Cask 12, mirrored it, and lined up the nose to make a complete face.

so the treasure is in a vagina?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Guys, I think I finally figured out what that wierd tree-branch shape on the left side of the Cask 8 painting is supposed to be...

It's a turned-around number '2'.

I was thinking about the birth flower that corresponds to ruby, it's apparently the Larkspur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolida). The problem is that I can make out the flowers in every one of the other pictures, but I don't see it anywhere here. Am I missing something obvious and the tree leaves are supposed to remind you of a larkspur or could it be a clue?

Also, the theme of 8 is apparently Arabia from the opening poem, but all I see around Hermann Park are Eastern Asian pavilions.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

PunkNickel posted:

There have been quite a few well known artists including M.C. Escher, Rembrandt, and Van Gogh. The famous philosophers were Erasrius, Descartes', and Van Leeuwenhoek.

Picking this bit out because the style/colouring of the portrait is very Rembrandt-esque to my mind. The Dutch embassy is not far from the Mount Stephen Club and close to the Three Bares Park that was mentioned earlier.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

I was thinking about the birth flower that corresponds to ruby, it's apparently the Larkspur (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consolida). The problem is that I can make out the flowers in every one of the other pictures, but I don't see it anywhere here. Am I missing something obvious and the tree leaves are supposed to remind you of a larkspur or could it be a clue?

Also, the theme of 8 is apparently Arabia from the opening poem, but all I see around Hermann Park are Eastern Asian pavilions.

There's one leaf slightly above and to the left of the red 96 that looks like it might be it. Not the one closest to the 96 but the one directly above that.

edit - there's actually a second one above and to the left of the 95. Neither look anything like the rest of the leaves and both resemble the flower.

Yip Yips fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 10, 2013

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

When Egbert, who found the second casque, met Preiss, he asked him a couple of questions. He reported on Q4T that:

"Preiss was a very good poker player, and was not giving out any hints about any of the other locations. However, he did confirm my theory that the countries of origin of the faeries do connect with the sites. He also said that the pages following the verses (which make up the bulk of the book) have no connection with the puzzles, and contain no additional clues."

Now, the book is in three sections. There's an introductory story about the Fair Folk which includes the reference to the Fountain of Youth in Florida and also other stuff like the litany and this map.

1. Elves, Trolls, Grims, Nissen and Tomtra
2. Vazily, Leshy, Poleviki, Domivye, Vily, Ruskalki,
3. Dwarves, Witchl, Hutchen, Rhine Maidens
4. People O' Peace, Trows, Brownies, Silkies, Kelpies
5. Sidhe, Leprachauns, Fir Darrigs
6. Fairies, Pixies, Hobgoblins, Boggarts
7. Alven, Klabaurtermannikins, Gnomes
8. Korreds, Lutins, Dames Blanches, Loup Garoux
9. Centaurs, Nymphs, Satyrs
10. Hadas, Duende
11. Folletti, Farfarelli, Salvani, Aguane, Linchetti
12. Djinn, Peri, Deevs
13. Tree Fairies

This is followed by the twelve images and verses, which are bookended by these two pages:

The bulk of the book is called something like "The Field Guide" and contains humorous descriptions of the Fair Folk of modern times, compiled by some National Lampoon guys like Sean Kelly. There are photographs of dolls made by Jo-Ellen Trilling, who also made the casques, and illustrations by several people including Palencar.

The puzzlers at Q4T frowned on any discussion of the book outside the 12 images and verses, discounting it all as irrelevant. This was partly because of Preiss' dismissal of the final section as reported by Egbert. Both the introduction and the lengthy final section contains a lot of weird garbage, frankly. Preiss presumably wrote the introduction. No-one knows how much input, if any, he had on the "field guide". He seems to have taken quite a lot of trouble to work the litany into the pictures via the gemstones and countries, etc., and it's clear that the countries do have some bearing on the puzzle, though arguably we've already applied most of the useful information in that respect in identifying what are very probably the 12 cities.

The main reason I'd like to see the introduction online is that it's generally been completely ignored, most of the people who have worked on this book have never even seen it, and no-one can deny that it contains a very obvious hint for the Fountain of Youth in Florida, so it seems reasonable to suppose it might contain other hints as well. The usefulness of the Field Guide is more doubtful, though it does contain some intriguing references; eg it mentions "a French were-mole called La Fayette", Lafayette cropping up as a possible location in both New Orleans and San Fransisco.

It would be interesting to get any comment out of Sean Kelly and co about the Field Guide. I tried contacting him once but he didn't reply. There's an email address for him here. I tried messaging another of the illustrators, John Pierard, on Facebook, but he didn't reply either.

BJG fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 10, 2013

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

GWBBQ posted:

Yeah all I can see is a giant stone vagina.

Nnep fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

GWBBQ posted:

Distorted NYC library lion?