Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Soarer posted:

You're going to need to give us all a link to that.

And I just got the video up for your viewing pleasure.

:nws::nws::nws::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=487zyzzPdAc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Did that man just piss while filming this? :stare:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How many GC8's does it take to bathe three rednecks :v:

Hope he turned the car off before it hydrolocked :(

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Linux Nazi posted:

Did that man just piss while filming this? :stare:

Oh god I just noticed that. I'm going to edit that out. :stare:

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

How many GC8's does it take to bathe three rednecks :v:

Hope he turned the car off before it hydrolocked :(

We prefer the term "Krautnecks" here in Wisconsin.
Never show rednecks how fun subarus can be. Bad things happen.

I guess it pretty much hydrolocked instantly.

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.

Linux Nazi posted:

I'm sure nobody really cares, but I'm pretty stoked about my new ride and feel obligated to post pictures anyways. :)

As a long time 2005 WRX driver I've always had a thing for the latest gen's front end. Absolutely the best angle.

I care :glomp:

Congratulations on the new car man. How do you like the color? I have a PBP sedan and absolutely love it. I get random compliments on it almost every day. I was very close to getting a white one until I was able to see the PBP up close in person.

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

^^^^^^^ don't buy the Mickey mouse factory mechanical boost gauge. They are way overpriced and crappy quality. Plus the mounting point is :zoid: ugly. Congrats on the car though, PBP hatches are so sexy. Mines DGM.

I would agree with this. I ordered my car with the factory gauge, and while it seems to work fine, hindsight is 20/20. At this point I would rather have an aftermarket one and have my local tuner install it. The factory location isn't terrible, it doesn't obstruct my view or anything, but I wanted the dealer to install it near the steering column and they wouldn't do it.

War Bunny fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 9, 2013

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

G-Mach posted:

And I just got the video up for your viewing pleasure.

:nws::nws::nws::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=487zyzzPdAc

the ECU is under the passengers feet. Hope the ecu had a snorkel.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug
Are there any good owners forums for Subarus? When I had the 86 I was on the ft86club forums and they are actually decent in terms of good info, good membership, and not strewn with adword popups.

NASIOC and IWSTI are loving awful. I know a lot of douches drive WRXs, and who knows maybe I'm one of them, but at least 10 years here have taught me to punctuate.

War Bunny posted:

I care :glomp:

Congratulations on the new car man. How do you like the color? I have a PBP sedan and absolutely love it. I get random compliments on it almost every day. I was very close to getting a white one until I was able to see the PBP up close in person.
:feelsgood:

I want to say that pearl white would have been my first choice. I've seen a white hatch with black wheels and some red trim and I absolutely loved the look. The PBP is my second choice but looks best with the unpainted wheels.

I test drove a DMG limited and dug that color as well though. Maybe I'm easy to please?

War Bunny
Jul 7, 2009

I don't silflay at this time, sir.
It's really a shame, because iwsti used to be a lot better before the nasioc idiots started flooding in.

As far as the dgm, I like it too, but I see them a lot, and its nice to be different. I think dgm was the vogue color for the nasioc-ites for a while. Now they've all seemed to gravitate to the white.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

For subaru forums just ask your questions in here, because anything else is going to be a slog through stupid flat brim bros. The community has gone to poo poo since bugeyes and sti's are cheap now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Linux Nazi posted:

Are there any good owners forums for Subarus? When I had the 86 I was on the ft86club forums and they are actually decent in terms of good info, good membership, and not strewn with adword popups.

Scoobymods used to be okay, dont know if it is anymore.

Otherwise stay right here as this thread is much better than just about any forum

kaws!
May 25, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

Otherwise stay right here as this thread is much better than just about any forum

Pretty much. Its easier here then going through pages of wrxbro shitposting to find any sort of valuable information.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cat Terrist posted:

Yep.

About the only good thing I found on the other forums were those Forester license plate mounts for the front so you don't have to put extra holes in your bumper.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
After seeing that 2.5RS get flooded, I thought to myself:

Am I the only one that doesn't take their Subaru offroading? The entire thought just terrifies me.

2013 WRX 5dr, SWP. I just can't even imagine how dirty a SWP would get.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I had the 6 speed in my 08 LGT replaced a few months ago along with the entire clutch kit at the local dealership. Now I notice a grinding/scraping noise when decelerating in 2nd and 3rd. It goes away if I push the clutch in or give it a slight amount of gas. Anything I should check before bringing it back to them?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

jamal posted:

Well... I guess you could try giving the head bolts an extra couple of lb-ft.

What's the final torque setting I should set them to? The manual has a lot of 90 degree and 180 degree turn stuff.

I've been observing the car, and I've notice that it likes to blow White smoke until it warms up, so I'm hoping that someone it just a little loose and when the engine heats up everything fits together better.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BoyBlunder posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't take their Subaru offroading? The entire thought just terrifies me.

The 08+s seem to do ok on rallycross as long as you're willing to replace front bumper covers and front fender liners every so often.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

daslog posted:

I've been observing the car, and I've notice that it likes to blow White smoke until it warms up, so I'm hoping that someone it just a little loose and when the engine heats up everything fits together better.

I'd check your oil level, could be too full.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

VelociBacon posted:

I'd check your oil level, could be too full.

That was the first thing I did.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
I finally put 150 miles on my 2013 WRX. Ignore the finger covering the lens. I had to have a car rerouted from another dealer and wound up without a car for almost two weeks. The dealer sent me this text when it came in to break my balls while I was stuck at work.

I actually picked it up two weeks ago and then immediately had to travel for work and so it sat in the garage alone. I can't stop grinning when I'm in this car. I need to stop scouring rallysportdirect.com and kartboy. My wife and I just had our first child last month so we have been searching for a good family car to carry our son and all the wonderful baggage he requires. Which prompted us to now do this:

We drove tons of different makes and models in our search, and kept coming back to the Outback. It didn't hurt that I had already bought a car from my local Subie dealer, so I got a really good deal on the second. Yeah, we have three white vehicles now. Dumped two silver Audis for two white Subarus. I got home the night we bought the Outback and opened my mail and found a $500 coupon on my next Subaru purchase from when I bought my WRX. Waiting to hear back from the dealer if I can exchange it for $500 in accessories or something.

Edit: Table breakage.

Aflicted fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 11, 2013

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

BoyBlunder posted:

The only issue I've ever seen with people with GRs is that the front bumpers will get messed up if you look at them wrong. Otherwise they do pretty well in a rallycross setting.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
Finally got the 4pots put on the Legacy. Got the windows tinted, too because gently caress Kansas summers and leather seats. If anyone has a spare set of bugeye WRX seats for sale, I'd love to take them off your hands.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

There's a guy up here who runs is new STi hatch on the logging road runs. He's not exactly driving it like he stole it, but he's out there.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Aflicted posted:

I finally put 150 miles on my 2013 WRX. Ignore the finger covering the lens. I had to have a car rerouted from another dealer and wound up without a car for almost two weeks. The dealer sent me this text when it came in to break my balls while I was stuck at work.

See, this looks good. I just love Subaru's SWP for some reason.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I like the loook of that Legacy, except for the tinted headlights. Tinted lights...blegh.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

Geirskogul posted:

I like the loook of that Legacy, except for the tinted headlights. Tinted lights...blegh.

I'm still on the fence about the headlights, honestly. I may go back and have some made to look more OEM. For what it's worth, they're not tinted; the backing is just painted matte black with clear lenses.

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
I have a friend who wants to sell me his 1999 Subaru Outback sport hatchback. Here's what's up:

lowered with lowering springs, the stock ones werent cut. Does not come with stock springs.
WRX rims, but two of them are spray painted an ugly rear end color.
Body is straight but was crashed without bending frame.
engine is firing on 3 cylinders, won't go past 35.
180k miles.
automagic

He wants $1k for it. Is it worth it? He said he checked the ignition and it was ok, and he reset the ECM too. ECM does not code.

probably drunk fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 10, 2013

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

probably drunk posted:

I have a friend who wants to sell me his 1999 Subaru Outback sport hatchback. Here's what's up:

lowered with lowering springs, the stock ones werent cut. Does not come with stock springs.
WRX rims, but two of them are spray painted an ugly rear end color.
Body is straight but was crashed without bending frame.
engine is firing on 3 cylinders, won't go past 35.
180k miles.
automagic

He wants $1k for it. Is it worth it? He said he checked the ignition and it was ok, and he reset the ECM too. ECM does not code.

I have a 99. 1999 sucks for Subaru. MAF bs and whatnot.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
1997 or 1998 is okay, but that much for that that problems on a 99 makes it a no-go. If it were a manual transmission, then maybe.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I paid 1k for a 97 OBS that was in great running order with all stock parts, and that was in Canada.

You can almost definitely do better.

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
What if I could get it for $500? I mean, should I literally run or is there any value in going down this road?

probably drunk fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 10, 2013

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Lowered outbacks are like lowered foresters :psyduck:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

probably drunk posted:

What if I could get it for $500? I mean, should I literally run or is there any value in going down this road?

I'd do $500. Then I'd pull the engine, and part out the rest.

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
Jeesh. That bad, huh?

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Am I making a miserable decision trading in my 2008 GTI for a 2013 SWP 5 Door WRX base? The GTI is quiet, dependable, and smooth but now that babby is formed I need something with an easy to get to back seat. I noticed a lot of people in this thread came from european cars so maybe I can get some insight into what I'm going to have to deal with.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
I upgraded to a wrx recently from 2004 jetta and i regret nothing. Though I cannot comment on ease of access to the rear seats of a hatch since i purchased the sedan. Also if financially able I would go with the wrx premium. If you live in an area where it snows a lot, the windshield wiper defrosters are pretty rad, as are the heated seats.

E: also the wrx goes through lovely weather (with summer tires) that my jetta would just sit there and spin tires. Also posting from a cellphone is a terrible idea.

TheFargate fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 11, 2013

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Backseat of a wrx is not optimal for rear facing baby seats. If you are only going to have one, put it in the middle and you can do ok, but if you need to put it on one side of the car, someone is going to suffer (the passenger, since you wouldn't want to drive with your knees crunched against the dash). The dealer may have a dummy cars eat for you to try.

My wife and I are planning 3 kids (first is 9mos.), and APA recommends 2 years rear facing - so that means we will have multiple rear facing, it is surprisingly difficult to find a vehicle to do that comfortably.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Lowered outbacks are like lowered foresters :psyduck:

What, really cool? :D

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ssjonizuka posted:

My wife and I are planning 3 kids (first is 9mos.), and APA recommends 2 years rear facing - so that means we will have multiple rear facing, it is surprisingly difficult to find a vehicle to do that comfortably.

No it's not hard at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Thank god neither of us want to go THAT route. Current top of the list is a v6 Toyota Venza, but we've got about a year (at least) until we start really looking to purchase. We'll see what shakes down when we're actually expecting #2.