Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bull3964 posted:

Qualcomm's mirasol display has popped up again.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/05/this-is-cool-qualcomm-shows-off-its-mirasol-display/

No word on if this will start showing up in products anytime soon, but it still remains the "missing link" to bridge tablets and eReaders.

Is Mirasol the display they were showing off against the Kindle 1 years ago or am I thinking about Pixel Qi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So I got my PaperWhite last night, and was reading in bed on th elowest setting and holy crap is it really really nice.

I really have nothing to add here except the fact that this is probably the last Kindle I'll buy for a very long time. They got rid of the super deep bezel the touch had. Basically because I didn't want to shell out for the lighted case I've went back to reading on my iPad in the White on Black mode in the kindle app and while its ok, I get super distracted while I read on it with FB notifications and awful.app quickly available.

Burned through 20% of the new Dan Brown book (dont laugh I'm reading it becaus eI loved Dantes Inferno when I was in high school) last night.

God I love this thing.

EDIT: I got the official case too in Tan brown, and I really love how they textured the whole thing. The back on the touch case used to get destroyed from bumping around in my messenger bag. this looks like it will hold up a lot better.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 24, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The paperwhite is pretty cool but I still like the buttons on the glo.

The paperwhite is also a god damned fingerprint magnet if you don't have a case.

Still, it's a hell of an ereader. Only real downside was figuring out how to changes pages without using the keyboard on screen cause I was too much of a moron to think about swiping near the bottom of the page when I was trying to download my books from Amazon. Can't fault em for that though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The paperwhite is pretty cool but I still like the buttons on the glo.

The paperwhite is also a god damned fingerprint magnet if you don't have a case.

Still, it's a hell of an ereader. Only real downside was figuring out how to changes pages without using the keyboard on screen cause I was too much of a moron to think about swiping near the bottom of the page when I was trying to download my books from Amazon. Can't fault em for that though.

A fingerprint magnet on the screen or the casing? The texture of the screen isn't really conducive to prints, and the casing itself... How often do you ever look at the back of the device, or pay attention to the side bezels?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Side of the screen, not the screen itself.

The reader is pretty much on par with the glo, and I like it. I just wish they would have made the whole case rubber covered instead of just the back of it.

I see the sides of the screen every time I look at the device, so I'd say pretty often. It's pretty visible if you are in any form of light.

Still, a quick wipe down with a cloth and it's all good for a while.

Like I said, pretty good reader. I'd prefer buttons and more rubberized coating, but that's just me.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Drunk Tomato posted:

Maybe this means a glorious comeback for the small indie bookstore?

(Hint: nope.)

From a couple pages ago, but I read this a few weeks ago.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2013/0317/The-novel-resurgence-of-independent-bookstores

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I've got a Kindle 3 (Keyboard 3G) on a US account, and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get the default dictionary from other countries? Looking for the German (Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch, I think) one. I'm thinking about changing the country settings to see if it will automatically download, but am not sure if you can only do that a limited number of times.

Not trying to get stuck in the German store hahah :/

edit: Figured it out!

moflika fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 27, 2013

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I was curious if anyone here reads magazines like the The Paris Review or The New Yorker on his Kindle. Because I am looking for a way to read the digital editions of these (and other) magazines, and maybe a Kindle Paperwhite is the way to go. I've never owned an eReader before though, so I really have no clue about this stuff.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jack's Flow posted:

I was curious if anyone here reads magazines like the The Paris Review or The New Yorker on his Kindle. Because I am looking for a way to read the digital editions of these (and other) magazines, and maybe a Kindle Paperwhite is the way to go. I've never owned an eReader before though, so I really have no clue about this stuff.

They normally have their own Kindle version that loses the formatting and some of pictures. It's not bad but if you're looking for the magazine experience, you would be better off with a tablet.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Call Me Charlie posted:

They normally have their own Kindle version that loses the formatting and some of pictures. It's not bad but if you're looking for the magazine experience, you would be better off with a tablet.

And in particular, I haven't had a particularly satisfactory actual magazine experience with anything less than a 10" tablet. Too much pinching/zooming otherwise. If you're just reading articles and don't care about it being super fancy, then yeah, the Kindle versions will do the job.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Call Me Charlie posted:

I do have to point out that sometimes it's better to lose the overly fancified magazine layout so that you can stick to just reading the articles comfortably. I don't subscribe to the New Yorker on my Kindle anymore but it worked quite well when I did.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So, doing a bit of reasearch and I'm thinking of getting a Nook ST With Glowhite because it's £69 right now and with some simple rooting, it could become some sort of ultra-e-reader that could do everything I'd ever want with a ereader (Which is to say all formats including the kindle store).

Am I far off the mark with that assumption?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, the only downside to the rooting is sometimes it gets to be a bitch and a half to have the screen do what it is supposed to. Mine kinda poo poo itself and forgot how to turn pages or acknowledge the touch screen.

Luckily it's also crazy easy to reset to factory defaults.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Eh, the only downside to the rooting is sometimes it gets to be a bitch and a half to have the screen do what it is supposed to. Mine kinda poo poo itself and forgot how to turn pages or acknowledge the touch screen.

Luckily it's also crazy easy to reset to factory defaults.

On and back off again easy or is there some blind navigation involved?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think it's something like "hold the power button and a page forward button for 10 seconds" or something like that.

Can't recall offhand but I found it easily enough on a google search when I needed it a few months back.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a reason why images are so small on the Nook Simple Touch? I read tons of history books and the maps are always tiny as hell, sometimes not even occupying the width of the page. It's a real bummer.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vegetable posted:

Is there a reason why images are so small on the Nook Simple Touch? I read tons of history books and the maps are always tiny as hell, sometimes not even occupying the width of the page. It's a real bummer.

I don't think I've ever had a map/illustration in a book bought from Amazon or B&N be decently sized or resizeable/zoom-able. It's really obnoxious.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So after some consideration I made the decision to just go for Moon+ reader on my N4/N7 set up with dropbox as my intermediary and using Caliber to sort my library.

All in all, it was probably simpler to spend the three bucks on that set up and be done with it.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 9, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

There's a bunch still in the first or second post in this thread if you haven't checked those out yet. I'm still using all Wordle screensavers on my Nook ST, it's easy to make your own. The quick and dirty way is to go to http://wordle.net, copy and paste a plot summary from Wikipedia, change the color to black and white, and you're good to go.

I've also had some luck searching for "high contrast black and white" on places like wallbase.net, if you can wade through all the terrible memes and anime and don't mind doing some resizing you can find some decent stuff. Here's a couple I've found and tweaked slightly:

And to finish out your Calvin and Hobbes wallpapers, I had a whole series of these that started with the one you posted:

Love these C&H wallpapers.

Here's a small collection I made when I got my nook simple touch last year:

Amazon Babes

there are 7 more that are :NSFW: because of fantasy boobs. Here's the album http://imgur.com/a/iy1to

Maps!

This is the set I'm currently using, and actually if I'm going to make a request it would be to see more map wallpapers. These are just from the first few fantasy worlds that came to mind, but I know there are plenty more out there. This set looks very nice.

Viking art

Pretty set I made for my wife's nook

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Amazon Babes
there are 7 more that are :NSFW: because of fantasy boobs. Here's the album http://imgur.com/a/iy1to

I thought the entire point of an ereader was that people around you didn't have to know that you were reading books about fantasy boobs.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't think I've ever had a map/illustration in a book bought from Amazon or B&N be decently sized or resizeable/zoom-able. It's really obnoxious.

Hey, just quoting this because I was reading a normal book in Google's Play Books app and accidentally zoomed in. I don't have any books on hand right now with a map or something to test, but if anyone has an epub and wants to test it, you can upload it to your Google account and read it in the app.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

withak posted:

I thought the entire point of an ereader was that people around you didn't have to know that you were reading books about fantasy boobs.

That's what my cover is for :smuggo:

But it's also why I switched to my map pack

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I made some more nook wallpapers. Hope somebody enjoys them.

Space! Album: http://imgur.com/a/z8vQU

Maps! Album: http://imgur.com/a/Lz517

Escher! Album: http://imgur.com/a/ftv4F

Other! Album: http://imgur.com/a/oNk6U

edit: fixed aspect ratio for that escher lizard one

edit2: gently caress man I guess I messed up on another aspect ratio

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 13, 2013

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
Those wallpapers are pretty drat sweet. The Escher album's my favourite for sure. Before I load up Calibre on my dying laptop: will they work on a Kindle Touch?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I made some more nook wallpapers. Hope somebody enjoys them.

Very cool. I gotta jailbreak my Kindle Keyboard sometime so I can actually use these!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

All these admittedly cool wallpapers make me wonder, don't the other e-readers besides the Kobo show the cover of the current book when the device is sleeping? Cause that's what my Kobo Glo does, and I think it's a really obvious thing to do and looks really cool. I wouldn't want to replace that behaviour with wallpapers or anything else. :shobon:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I have no idea how you would go about loading these up in a Kindle. It's pretty simple simple on the Nook Simple Touch.

And that's a cool feature with the book covers. I just like being able to customize mine however I want. I think the NST doesn't do that and just had a default wallpaper thing that was pretty boring.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I have no idea how you would go about loading these up in a Kindle

If it's ad-supported: http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Screen_Savers

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
What is the best way or app needed so my mom can watch her Amazon digital downloads of her new movies on her Nook Color HD?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Cowslips Warren posted:

What is the best way or app needed so my mom can watch her Amazon digital downloads of her new movies on her Nook Color HD?

Can the Nook Color run any app hosted on Google Play? If so, this is what you're looking for:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.avod&hl=en

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Nihiliste posted:

Can the Nook Color run any app hosted on Google Play? If so, this is what you're looking for:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.avod&hl=en

The main problem is that the Play store will only send this to a small subset Google TV devices. Amazon Instant Video is on a large number of set-top boxes and even on the iPad/iPod/iPhone, but the company has been a consistent door slam in the face when it comes to letting their app run on any mobile Android device that they don't directly control.

There was a workaround which involves installing Dolphin or Firefox (depending on who you ask) and Flash, but apparently Amazon recently did something to break that solution, too. So it goes...

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 24, 2013

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
I've got a Kindle 3/Keyboard (w/ US billing address) and was thinking about subscribing to some mags before heading to Europe. Did I understand Amazon correctly when it was stated that as a US kindle user I would have to pay a 4.99/week fee to have it delivered. Meaning if I have something that costs 2 dollars a month, then the entire subscription would cost me ~$22 a month while in Germany??

If so, fuuuuuuck :suicide:

From reading some blog posts online it seems like they won't even let you restrict deliviery to Wifi-only to avoid the fee.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

moflika posted:

I've got a Kindle 3/Keyboard (w/ US billing address) and was thinking about subscribing to some mags before heading to Europe. Did I understand Amazon correctly when it was stated that as a US kindle user I would have to pay a 4.99/week fee to have it delivered. Meaning if I have something that costs 2 dollars a month, then the entire subscription would cost me ~$22 a month while in Germany??

If so, fuuuuuuck :suicide:

From reading some blog posts online it seems like they won't even let you restrict deliviery to Wifi-only to avoid the fee.

Unless they've changed it recently you can most definitely restrict delivery to wifi only. The fee for international 3G delivery of subscriptions (NOT books, those are free regardless) is optional.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Grimey Drawer
Hmmm, in that case I'll call Amazon to make sure. That would definitely be a significantly smaller stick in the eye.

edit: Welp, called Amazon. Looks like the fee is indeed 4.99/week and is applied even if you set delivery for Wifi-only. Mmmm yes, delivery fees that cost more than the subscriptions themselves! :rolleyes:

After 5 years of being a Kindle user, I was finally going to go legit and actually try to use a Kindle as it was legally intended... Hahaha, so much for that!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
You can just buy individual issues if it's such an issue, likely the higher price will be less than the extra delivery fees.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

has anyone used a kobo for reading via Pocket? I do about 75% of my reading that way, and would love to pick up a kobo aura HD if its fairly seamless and it can do the same offline reading the android app does. I also have some existing magazine subs... It'd be nice to read them on the Kobo as well. And what about RSS feeds, so I can read up on blogs and other web magazines the way I would with feedly?

I guess what I'm really wondering is... How are these readers for non book reading?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
As a general warning if you're unable to purchase a Kobo directly from a physical retailer it would be in your best interest to get something else.

What you're describing in usage patterns sounds like you should just stick with a tablet. Go hunt Ebay for a used Nexus 7 and save yourself a boatload of headache.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
I have to echo what MC Hawking is saying. If the majority of your reading are articles or textbooks, get a tablet. If most of what you read are novellas or novels, get an e-reader.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

hmmm... Well the whole reason I'm looking at the reader is because I'm feeling a lot of eyestrain/fatigue from looking at screens all day... And the last thing I want to do is have a tablet glaring in my face just before bed. Anyone have experience using calibre content server? Sounds like that is the newspaper/RSS solution...

Further to that... Do any readers support tethered internet connections, so I could use my cell data plan if I'm not on a WiFi network?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

quote:

Further to that... Do any readers support tethered internet connections, so I could use my cell data plan if I'm not on a WiFi network?

Nope.

You could probably hack together some pocket-type stuff with a kindle by mailing it to yourself but it would be a manual process, and thus a pain in the rear end.

To be more direct, e-readers in general are pretty bad for non-book/newspaper/magazine usage.