Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Powershift posted:

a N/A 305hp v6 as a $1000 option over a 395hp v8. Fuel economy makes stupid things happen.

My buddy at work has the Hemi 8 speed and it hauls rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Moreso, look at the gearbox backing it up - an eight-speed automatic. There's your real cost center.
So does the V8 that's $1000 bucks cheaper. I bet it comes down to standard options and less common parts.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

Moreso, look at the gearbox backing it up - an eight-speed automatic. There's your real cost center.

it's a grand more than the v8 package with the (uprated) 8 speed, 2k more than the v8with the 6sp.

i think they're still trying to straighten out their pricing now that the 4.7 and 4 speed are gone.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Is the V8 direct injected? Im sure all the high pressure plumbing adds material and R&D costs.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sadi posted:

Is the V8 direct injected? Im sure all the high pressure plumbing adds material and R&D costs.

none of them are di, you're thinking of the new GM engines.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

travisray2004 posted:

They had to use up that second gen. Camry parts stock somehow.

Pff, Toyota doesn't stock parts.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

i think they're still trying to straighten out their pricing now that the 4.7 and 4 speed are gone.

I bet GM foresaw this situation occurring and that's why they developed a push-rod V6 for their trucks.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The polarizing new Cherokee was able to make it through the Rubicon Trail unassisted: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151948897888765.1073741833.143647533764&type=1

I'm morbidly curious to see how this thing will sell.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm 100% on board with the looks now.

Now how do I make it so that I don't have to read all the comments? :shepicide:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Not quite the latest release, but I've just dug up the latest and greatest the ever-innovative, perpetually competitive Mitsubishi Motors: The 2014 Mirage.

Interesting numbers:

- 1.2L NA 3-cyl (also a 1.0 but not for America)
- 5sp or CVT
- 1,863 lbs
- 37mpg city/44 hwy
- 0-60 in 11.7s manual, 12.8s CVT

...And oh yeah, 74 horsepower.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 10, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I'm impressed at how cheap they got it to look.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
With a curb weight like that I'm sure someone will be along to finish the car any day now.

It will probably sell well in Canada.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Cream_Filling posted:

It's worse in person. They have two pink ones at the dealership near me and they look like two big testicles. Also, I think that green must be an up market mirage with those alloys and foggies.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

I didn't know that Mitsubishi is a chinese car manufacturer now. That front end looks bad.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Eh I think the Chinese still have most-horrible-things-on-the-road covered

Behold:

(in case you thought the insides might be better)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Friar Zucchini posted:

Not quite the latest release, but I've just dug up the latest and greatest the ever-innovative, perpetually competitive Mitsubishi Motors: The 2014 Mirage.
Every review I have seen of this in Australia mentions the looks and design is like a Korean car from 2005. Pretty damning.

Of course Sniff Petrol's opinion is about spot on about the Mirage:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The current Micra isn't any better - when you try and play at the cheapest end of the market you end up with a horribly compromised product.

e. Spark and Splash too

dissss fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 10, 2013

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

You Am I posted:

Every review I have seen of this in Australia mentions the looks and design is like a Korean car from 2005. Pretty damning.

Of course Sniff Petrol's opinion is about spot on about the Mirage:

Hasn't Sniff Petrol done a bunch of fake advertisements in the past?

I'm wondering if Mitsubishi even has the resources anymore to make anything worth a drat.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You're all pretty angry about a cheap car being a cheap car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Here's some more old news. There's going to be a joint BMW/Toyota sports car.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2012/06/bmw-toyota-announce-plans-for-co-developed-sports-car.html

BMW reliability with Toyota driving dynamics?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Stealing BMWs turbo tech for the next Supra?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

You're all pretty angry about a cheap car being a cheap car.

Not so much angry as knowingly disappointed. Oh Mitsubishi, you've fallen so far...

There are plenty of cheap cars that don't look super cheap. Even the Smart car isn't this bad looking. Honestly, in that green color, it looks like a bad knock-off of a Mazda 2.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Tekne posted:

The polarizing new Cherokee was able to make it through the Rubicon Trail unassisted: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151948897888765.1073741833.143647533764&type=1

I'm morbidly curious to see how this thing will sell.
I don't know if it's Jeep's target market but all the late 20 / early 30 year old girls I've spoken to (my sisters' friends) love the new Cherokee design.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

I don't know if it's Jeep's target market but all the late 20 / early 30 year old girls I've spoken to (my sisters' friends) love the new Cherokee design.

It'll probably be targeted at CR-V & RAV4 buyers, so yeah.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

dissss posted:

The current Micra isn't any better - when you try and play at the cheapest end of the market you end up with a horribly compromised product.

e. Spark and Splash too

I don't know, I think the Spark looks a hell of a lot better than anything else in the <$14k segment in the US.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

I saw it in person at the car show here, and it really does look pretty sweet, if just different then what you might be used too. All the lines and etc work in person.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
its just those headlights. The kinda shark nose thing with the high clearance would be cool if the lights didn't look so cheap and spoil it.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
I posted a new Skoda Octavia some time ago, now they released the vRS (220HP, lowered) version.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-skoda-octavia-vrs-revealed

The sedan is pretty boring, but oh man, that wagon in white :swoon:

It just RIGHT expept the wheels.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm fine with all of it including the wheels.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm fine with all of it including the wheels.

Yeah, those wheels are boss.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Kerrow posted:

I posted a new Skoda Octavia some time ago, now they released the vRS (220HP, lowered) version.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-skoda-octavia-vrs-revealed

The sedan is pretty boring, but oh man, that wagon in white :swoon:

It just RIGHT expept the wheels.

Indeed, for some reason Skoda can't make sedans (hatchbacks in fact in the case of the Octavia), or hybrid sedans/hatchback monstruosity for the Superb)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I approve of the angular styling language Skoda has been introducing lately on the Octavia and Rapid.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I'd take the Trailhawk Cherokee in granite metallic with the dark wheels. It really looks like a shark or ray in that color, but in a good way imo.

You can tell that Chrysler wants these to sell:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

What do these compete with? I can't seem to think of a CUV market that would fit into, given its size and price.

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 11, 2013

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

We're up to 9 speed automatics now?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lowclock posted:

So does the V8 that's $1000 bucks cheaper. I bet it comes down to standard options and less common parts.

Throatwarbler posted:

it's a grand more than the v8 package with the (uprated) 8 speed, 2k more than the v8with the 6sp.

Welp :downs:

Then yeah, chalk that up to Dodge deciding that if you're going to save $x on fuel over the life of the truck, they can just charge you some amount less than $x and make more money!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Augmented Dickey posted:

We're up to 9 speed automatics now?

Ford/GM are collaborating on a pair of autos right now. A 9 speed for FWD and a 10 speed for RWD, so it's not stopping at just 9. Though I have to imagine they're getting to the point of diminishing returns soon.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/56708/volvo-set-to-join-v8-supercars-report

Sounds like Volvo might be joining Australia's V8 Supercars championship. I'm glad the whole 'car of tomorrow' thing is actually getting embraced. Even though the new cars aren't quite competitive yet, it's much more interesting to watch this way

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Q_res posted:

Ford/GM are collaborating on a pair of autos right now. A 9 speed for FWD and a 10 speed for RWD, so it's not stopping at just 9. Though I have to imagine they're getting to the point of diminishing returns soon.

A CVT is the best theoretical transmission - who cares about power curves when you can spin the engine to where it performs best (or makes best economy or whatever) and then just vary the ratio as you get to the speed you want? Problem is making a CVT that holds up to a lot of power.

These ridiculously-high gear count transmissions are probably proving to be easier to build to hold up to higher horsepower applications than a CVT, and they probably also skirt around some CVT patents that these companies don't own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

A CVT is the best theoretical transmission - who cares about power curves when you can spin the engine to where it performs best (or makes best economy or whatever) and then just vary the ratio as you get to the speed you want? Problem is making a CVT that holds up to a lot of power.

These ridiculously-high gear count transmissions are probably proving to be easier to build to hold up to higher horsepower applications than a CVT, and they probably also skirt around some CVT patents that these companies don't own.

How are Nissan's CVTs holding up? They've been using them in the Murano, Altima, and a couple other cars for a while now. Neither of those are really high power cars, but the Murano has 300ish HP.