Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

You have to change the laws for every additional kingdom you own. Just go into the "Laws" tab and click on the flag of the Kingdom. This has caused some nervous hand-wringing for me before, when I managed to take control of England as Norway, or Ireland. I'd already made my Kingdom Agnatic-Cognatic Elective, but England was on Agnatic Primogeniture, so the realm was about to split up on succession.

How do the laws work if you usurp a kingdom? I usurped a kingdom in my game which only had a single county controlled by the old leader - the laws matched my empire so everything was fine until I captured that final county at which point the laws flipped to Gravelkind. Maybe I'm missing something but is this normal? Had I known this would happen I would have just let the title get destroyed rather than usurping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

DrSunshine posted:

Just make it so that everyone can loot and travel on rivers! Looting for all! Wasn't that pretty much the norm for every army in the past?
Pretty sure everybody gets to loot when they take a holding, but raiding (looting provinces you aren't at war with) is just an pagan thing.

The whole "sorry, I forgot how to transport armies across rivers now that we have an official holy text and a single church" thing is just silly, though.

e: On the whole "reformation is a straight upgrade," in vanilla, reformed pagans can't invade other pagans easily because they suffer from the ridiculous "pagan homeland" attrition penalty.

Cycloneman fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 10, 2013

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Torrannor posted:

Ha, no matter what Wiz says but reforming paganism is not a straight upgrade in vanilla CK2, unreformed pagans never have a "levies raised too long" opinion penalty.

They do, its just not as heavy.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BillBear posted:

They do, its just not as heavy.

I have never seen my Norse vassals complain about levies being raised. And I fought some pretty long wars. Are you sure it is not your catholic vassals being unhappy?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

DrSunshine posted:

You have to change the laws for every additional kingdom you own. Just go into the "Laws" tab and click on the flag of the Kingdom. This has caused some nervous hand-wringing for me before, when I managed to take control of England as Norway, or Ireland. I'd already made my Kingdom Agnatic-Cognatic Elective, but England was on Agnatic Primogeniture, so the realm was about to split up on succession.

Woah! Whole new page. Time to raise the crown authority :unsmigghh:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Any idea why my council members stats drop occasionally? I keep having to recycle them.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Big boy religions shouldn't be allowed to loot and raid :colbert:

It's just not polite. Nobody wants to debate theology with the dude who's going to take everything when he leaves.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

LowellDND posted:

Any idea why my council members stats drop occasionally? I keep having to recycle them.

They could possibly be victims of successful discredit plots, or may have gotten new traits that lowered their scores. One I encounter often is landed nobles holding feasts, which give a decent buff to diplomacy for a duration.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

For a viking petty king surrounded by Pagans who you have a 'become king' cb against, Rurik is pretty difficult. You have no boats and all your raidable neighbours are poor as poo poo. Even worse, your son and heir is a non-norse pagan.

In my disastrous game Rurik got clubbed in the head and became incapable. His son took over, and I couldn't find any way to convert to the one true viking faith. So fine, began conquering as a slavic pagan. Then he got clubbed and became incapable and suddenly died. Gavelkind struck and I was playing as a little girl with all negative traits and my realm was shattered. Everyone declares war on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6gyUgPl1SU

Going to try this again with CK2+ and get rid of Rurik's stupid heretic son as soon as possible. How do I mod CK2+ so that reformed norse still get to raid and use rivers? I know it's super unbalanced, but damnit it's fun.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

marktheando posted:

Going to try this again with CK2+ and get rid of Rurik's stupid heretic son as soon as possible. How do I mod CK2+ so that reformed norse still get to raid and use rivers? I know it's super unbalanced, but damnit it's fun.

00_religions.txt in the religions folder, then add "allow_looting = yes" to your desired religion. I agree with you on looting too: Wiz is right in that it's too powerful, but looting is what makes Norse Pagans worth playing. Otherwise, I'd rather play other characters.

It's a good thing Wiz is cool with people changing around his mods!

vvv: :zaeed:

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 10, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

marktheando posted:

For a viking petty king surrounded by Pagans who you have a 'become king' cb against, Rurik is pretty difficult. You have no boats and all your raidable neighbours are poor as poo poo. Even worse, your son and heir is a non-norse pagan.

In my disastrous game Rurik got clubbed in the head and became incapable. His son took over, and I couldn't find any way to convert to the one true viking faith. So fine, began conquering as a slavic pagan. Then he got clubbed and became incapable and suddenly died. Gavelkind struck and I was playing as a little girl with all negative traits and my realm was shattered. Everyone declares war on me.

Easy! Go to mod/CK2+/common/religions/00_religions.txt

Look for "norse_pagan_reformed"

Copy-paste the lines: "allow_looting=yes" and "allow_river_movement=yes" into there.

(I might be misremembering the exact lines, but basically just look for norse_pagan (the nonreformed version) and copy-paste the special things from there).

EDIT: Aw, dude! I was beaten. :(

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

toasterwarrior posted:

They could possibly be victims of successful discredit plots, or may have gotten new traits that lowered their scores. One I encounter often is landed nobles holding feasts, which give a decent buff to diplomacy for a duration.

Its really quite strange. I have a council member with diplo 21-22, and it starts to fall to 14, so I switch out to a new one, and her stats drops as well.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Torrannor posted:

I have never seen my Norse vassals complain about levies being raised. And I fought some pretty long wars. Are you sure it is not your catholic vassals being unhappy?

Well, i was playing a Finnish pagan and had zero Catholic vassals. I can't remember if it applies for unreformed Norse.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nice one, thanks guys.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Easy! Go to mod/CK2+/common/religions/00_religions.txt

Look for "norse_pagan_reformed"

Copy-paste the lines: "allow_looting=yes" and "allow_river_movement=yes" into there.

(I might be misremembering the exact lines, but basically just look for norse_pagan (the nonreformed version) and copy-paste the special things from there).

EDIT: Aw, dude! I was beaten. :(

The funny part about "allow_looting=yes" is that it is linked to the event that gives you a pop up saying something about Dragon ships being spotted outside your coastal territory once the raiders show up.

Now, allowing looting for say, the muslims, you still get that event.

Except the boats are filled with surprise muslims! :getin:

...I should probably get around to changing that event.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I've just bought this via the Gamestop offer posted on the previous page (thanks for the heads up). I've played a crapload of EU2 and Hearts of Iron 1 and 2, so have been looking at picking up CK2 for a while and I'm looking forward to it.

What DLCs would you guys consider as definite must have pick ups, if any?

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

marktheando posted:

Do the rational thing and kill your son.

Also, Rurik is pretty hard to play. Your provinces are poor and the ones around you are even poorer. Your tech levels are abysmal. Every province you own is the wrong culture/religion. To top it all off, you can't raid because you have no ships. You can get around the "no ship" problem and the poor neighbour problem by taking some coastal Baltic provinces building shipyards, and raiding Rome.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What flags are missing from the CK2+ beta? I want to put in replacements so that all the flags are in order and I don't have the HRE flag as Byzantium.

tanglewood1420 posted:

I've just bought this via the Gamestop offer posted on the previous page (thanks for the heads up). I've played a crapload of EU2 and Hearts of Iron 1 and 2, so have been looking at picking up CK2 for a while and I'm looking forward to it.

The Old Gods, the newest one, allows you to play as Vikings (any pagan, actually) and start at a special 867 start date. Sword of Islam allows you to play as Muslims. The Republic allows you to play as coastal republics like Venice and Genoa.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

tanglewood1420 posted:

Some of the DLC are basically unlockers for different religions and/or styles of play. Sword of Islam for Muslims, The Republic for Merchant Republics (not inland republics, take note), and the Old Gods for Pagan characters.

The Old Gods is special as it allows you another 200 years of playtime by letting you start at early 867 instead of late 1066 as well allowing access to pagans. Legacy of Rome is a flavour pack for Byzantine characters, but it also unlocks Retinues, which are basically standing armies that are always good to go, unlike the temporary levy system which most medieval rulers used.

Sunset Invasion is an alternate history DLC which will trigger a huge Aztec assault on Western Europe. Probably the most "controversial" DLC of the lot, but it's cheap and it does mix up gameplay since the Western Europeans will then have a Mongol-like threat to deal with.

Personally, I'd nominate the Republic and the Old Gods since their playstyles are very cool and different from how the usual CK2 characters play, and Legacy of Rome for access to retinues. Everything else with "Songs of X" and portrait packs is a cosmetic DLC, so buy them if you like.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 10, 2013

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

NewtGoongrich posted:

Do the rational thing and kill your son.

Also, Rurik is pretty hard to play. Your provinces are poor and the ones around you are even poorer. Your tech levels are abysmal. Every province you own is the wrong culture/religion. To top it all off, you can't raid because you have no ships. You can get around the "no ship" problem and the poor neighbour problem by taking some coastal Baltic provinces building shipyards, and raiding Rome.

The fucker's days are numbered, I'm going to start a game and imprison him and immediately hold a blot. Assuming it lets you sacrifice your own son.

Is the most you can sacrifice three at a time? In my last viking game I had the Queen of East Francia imprisoned for 20+ years, she survived three blots because I always had more than three prisoners.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

So I was playing as a duchy in France and it was the first time I ever made it to the Sunset Invasion with my lands intact, I lost everything almost immediately because they landed in the bay of biscay. Am I playing CK2 wrong because I'm not trying to become a global power? I just want to rule my duchy and maybe assassinate a few kings I don't and marry their daughters. :(

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Has anyone tried to give boats to realms that have rivers? Is it even possible? Water in Clausewitz games is so stupid.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

It's based on religion. Just add 'allow_rivermovement = yes' to the 00_religions.txt in common/religions and it should work. There's also 'allow_viking_invasion = yes' for prepared invasions and and 'allow_looting = yes'

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Everyone should be able to travel on major rivers, really. Maybe have a flag at a certain date that disallows pagans from using them to simulate the development of river defenses. Hell, you should be able to put trade posts around them.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Edit: Nevermind, I'm just dumb.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 10, 2013

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Reforming Norse loses a lot more than people are letting on--it shouldn't be done until Catholicism is at your door, forcing you to convert.

Vassals become unhappy with raised levies. Considering how easy it is to stay at constant war or raiding, this can really add up.

You lose a 50% increase in retinue size, applied after the bonus from military organization. This is tens of thousands of troops.

You lose the subjugate CB, and don't gain access to the great holy war CB until 1100. Reform early and you'll lack a kingdom wide CB for hundreds of years.

You suffer massive penalties to supply when attacking other unreformed pagans. Eastern Europe is now closed to you.

Reforming paganism is great if you are dealing with Catholics or Orthodox, but until you are ready to take on Francia or Byzantium I don't think its worth the cost. At the very least, you need to conquer eastern Europe or obtain the technology to ignore pagan supply penalties first. Reforming early leaves you grossly outnumbered and unable to safely expand without pissing off Christian Europe.

If you're having issues with Gavelkind, make an empire. You'll be able to keep steamrolling Europe and won't need to worry about succession.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

KPC_Mammon posted:

Reforming Norse loses a lot more than people are letting on--it shouldn't be done until Catholicism is at your door, forcing you to convert.

Have you reformed it yet? It's really difficult. Not only do you need to hold 3 widely spaced holy sites, but you need to jack up your moral authority really high and have a ton of extra piety sitting around on the same king that did all this poo poo. It took me 3 tries to get it done once, and I don't plan on trying it again it was such a pain in the rear end. It's not the kind of thing you can just let sit around and do whenever.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fender posted:

Have you reformed it yet? It's really difficult. Not only do you need to hold 3 widely spaced holy sites, but you need to jack up your moral authority really high and have a ton of extra piety sitting around on the same king that did all this poo poo. It took me 3 tries to get it done once, and I don't plan on trying it again it was such a pain in the rear end. It's not the kind of thing you can just let sit around and do whenever.

If you manage to become a scandinavian king then reforming the faith is really easy. You get moral authority from conquering poo poo and piety from blots. And becoming king of Norway/Sweden/Denmark isn't difficult even if you start as a small time count, thanks to piles and piles of cash from raiding.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

...Man, being an attractive Queen is the best thing ever.

All your male vassals love you so long as they're not gay.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

marktheando posted:

If you manage to become a scandinavian king then reforming the faith is really easy. You get moral authority from conquering poo poo and piety from blots. And becoming king of Norway/Sweden/Denmark isn't difficult even if you start as a small time count, thanks to piles and piles of cash from raiding.

It can be very difficult even for a Scandinavian king. You lose moral authority for anyone of your faith losing holy wars, and if there are any big Catholic countries nearby any Norse countries there WILL be Norse losing holy wars left and right. I played a game once where despite annexing single coastal counties nonstop, raiding to burn temples nonstop, and owning 4 of the 5 holy sites (couldn't get Zeeland because it was part of the HRE and gently caress fighting 100k troops before the year 950), Norse moral authority was in the 5-15% range.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zurai posted:

It can be very difficult even for a Scandinavian king. You lose moral authority for anyone of your faith losing holy wars, and if there are any big Catholic countries nearby any Norse countries there WILL be Norse losing holy wars left and right. I played a game once where despite annexing single coastal counties nonstop, raiding to burn temples nonstop, and owning 4 of the 5 holy sites (couldn't get Zeeland because it was part of the HRE and gently caress fighting 100k troops before the year 950), Norse moral authority was in the 5-15% range.

So I guess I was just lucky then. With me conquering Scandinavia and Ivar conquering the British Isles Catholics were having a miserable time and Norse moral authority was really high, didn't even need to conquer all the holy sites. Though I did. I even abandoned the game because my huge kingdom felt unearned it was so easy.

Though by the time I stopped playing that game the Carolingians had managed to unify their empire, so the future might not have been so easy for the vikings.

Karabiner98Kurz
Sep 25, 2005

HOW THE FUCK DO THEY HAVE ALL THIS MANPOWER?
Listen to this while playing as a Norse ruler:

Wardruna

Yggdrassil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLU9gcqeOWU

Runaljod-Gap Var Ginnunga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak0ZmAvAyB8

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Karabiner98Kurz posted:

Listen to this while playing as a Norse ruler:

Wardruna

Yggdrassil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLU9gcqeOWU

Runaljod-Gap Var Ginnunga
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak0ZmAvAyB8

I'd love it if more people posted music-appropriate suggestions for different CK rulers. I used to just listen to music that I enjoyed but now I feel like I'd like to listen to some appropriate music while playing.

Rejected Fate fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 10, 2013

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Fender posted:

Agreed, the most challenging aspect of reforming the faith is making sure other Norse don't lose too many conquests, tanking Norse's authority.

My solution, once I formed a kingdom, was declaring conquest CB on 6-8 individual counties at once, 2-3 times a year. If declaring war meant breaking a truce, so be it. The piety, moral authority, and additional levy makes it worth it. My first oath-breaker king still ended up with more than four thousand prestige.

If you are bringing in ~15 moral authority each year, the other Norse can't ruin it for you. They are gently caress ups, but I've not seen them lose more than 40 moral authority through failed conquests. I only needed 3 holy sites.

You could achieve a similar result with raiding. Burning down temples gives moral authority. Target kingdoms currently at war with your fellow Norsemen for double benefit. Not only do you get gold and moral authority from raiding, but your brothers in arms will actually win a conquest!

You also don't have to worry about them becoming too powerful, since their new holdings have just been pillaged.

I'm only playing on normal difficulty (This is my second time playing Crusader Kings, thank you Amazon for the amazing game!), this advice might not work on higher settings.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lyer posted:

So I was playing as a duchy in France and it was the first time I ever made it to the Sunset Invasion with my lands intact, I lost everything almost immediately because they landed in the bay of biscay. Am I playing CK2 wrong because I'm not trying to become a global power? I just want to rule my duchy and maybe assassinate a few kings I don't and marry their daughters. :(
Don't play with Sunset Invasion. The only way to really 'fight' a horde is to be a ridiculously gigantic empire by the time they appear, so if you don't want to do that, you should minimize the number of hordes you can expect to come knocking on your door.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I currently rule Ireland and Scotland as an unreformed Norse King.

The King of Denmark, who'd done a fair amount of conquering, died and left the throne to his, ahem, Greedy Hunchback Mastermind Theologian son. Diplomacy score: 2. Martial score: 1. His vassals immediately hated him.
Apparently keen to show them he wasn't completely incompetent, he declared a Subjugation war on Jorvik (holding most of England). Which wasn't a good idea, given that two pagan rulers then declared Subjugation war for Danish holdings and the Duke of Jyttland declared independence a few days after.
His levies are being ground to dust - he's getting whomped in England - and will almost certainly lose Pomerania, but he did manage to keep hold of Jyttland. Which is good, because as soon as he's done with his wars, I'm going to Subjugate his rear end myself and take all of Denmark.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm only playing on normal difficulty (This is my second time playing Crusader Kings, thank you Amazon for the amazing game!), this advice might not work on higher settings.

Difficulty only really makes you comparatively weaker than the AI by giving you less morale and the AI more morale and money. It doesn't increase the size of enemy levies, so Very Hard isn't super different from normal in CK2. (And the massive fertility bonus on Very Easy in fact makes it harder to play effective Norse kingdoms, ironically enough)

Chalks posted:

How do the laws work if you usurp a kingdom? I usurped a kingdom in my game which only had a single county controlled by the old leader - the laws matched my empire so everything was fine until I captured that final county at which point the laws flipped to Gravelkind. Maybe I'm missing something but is this normal? Had I known this would happen I would have just let the title get destroyed rather than usurping it.

I'm not sure if this is working as designed or whether it's one of the numerous new bugs in 1.10. Every DLC or expansion patch is incredibly buggy, so there's a good chance once we hit a few more patches this won't be the case.

occipitallobe fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 10, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rejected Fate posted:

...Man, being an attractive Queen is the best thing ever.

All your male vassals love you so long as they're not gay.

I just realized: Does the Ruler Designer actually let you play as a female?

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

marktheando posted:

So I guess I was just lucky then. With me conquering Scandinavia and Ivar conquering the British Isles Catholics were having a miserable time and Norse moral authority was really high, didn't even need to conquer all the holy sites. Though I did. I even abandoned the game because my huge kingdom felt unearned it was so easy.

Though by the time I stopped playing that game the Carolingians had managed to unify their empire, so the future might not have been so easy for the vikings.

Oh god, the hoops I had to jump through. I had the holy sites in Denmark and Norway, but the one in Sweden was unreliable due to their instability. But I was really good buds with the Swedish royal family and I like having them as a buffer between me and the Russian poo poo up there. So I had to concoct this wild scheme where I destabilized Holland at the time when Francia was low on troops so the rebellion took a while to put down and then I subjugated the gently caress out Zeeland. And then I went nuts raiding and burning temples to get my moral authority high. But that wasn't enough, it kept decaying and I had nowhere near enough piety. So all my extra holding slots in Denmark? They are temples now. That finally managed to push my piety up and right at the end of my life I burned my last Catholic temple and reformed the Norse religion. Then immediately everyone hated me, I lost Zeeland, and Sweden collapsed into religious infighting and I had my own Old Norse rebellion to deal with. It took about 100 years for things to calm down, and Sweden still goes through a succession crisis every generation or so.

Fender fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Beamed posted:

I just realized: Does the Ruler Designer actually let you play as a female?

Yep!

• Locked thread