Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jerusalem posted:

Ben Urich is dead? :smith:

Only in a crappy non-canon future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

The Question IRL posted:

Still, the Skull ran a tight ship. He had a squad of loyal super villains that he called his Skeleton Krew. He must have treated them well, right?

I just love how Crossbones after he is fired goes STRAIGHT to his room and starts sulking, like he's a 14 year old kid. In fact his room looks like that of a 14 year old kid.

"The boss can be a real jerk sometimes." Well, he is a Nazi, Crossbones. A literal Nazi.

Red Skull looking like he's projectile vomiting that coffee everywhere is pretty dang hilarious too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

(New Avengers #4)

Metal as gently caress. :black101:

Namor being a badass then fluttering away on his tiny ankle wings. :allears:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Hey, he can pull them off!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Well not literally, right?
Serious question because Marvel Universe gets wierd sometimes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Venom pulled two of them off and it seemed to annoy Namor somewhat.

(that RRRRIP! is like webcomic-level onomatopoeia)

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Namor and Black Adam are pretty much an unspoken inter-company rivalry to as who can be the more stone-cold anti-hero badass, don't they? Both of them get posted a lot in various ways.

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It's a real shame that Gruenwald's interminable run is what followed JM Dematteis' run, where he took a lot of the cast in a more mature and psychologically intense direction.

I loved Gruenwald's run on Cap. He wrote him as someone who had to make difficult decisions (like having to shoot a terrorist dead).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mister Roboto posted:

Namor and Black Adam are pretty much an unspoken inter-company rivalry to as who can be the more stone-cold anti-hero badass, don't they? Both of them get posted a lot in various ways.

Namor doesn't seem as prone to dismembering people.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I did find this, no idea about the source:

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Hakkesshu posted:

I did find this, no idea about the source:

I think that was from Uncanny X-Men, Cyclops was playing out a Danger Room scenario on how to take down Wolverine. I think it involved Magneto freezing him by controlling his skeleton, Namor beheading him and Scott basically vaporizing the head with an optic blast.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well, Namor was ripping off heads when it was still shocking but Black Adam seems to do it to every two-bit thief that crosses his path, so yeah.

Flesh Forge posted:

Well not literally, right?
Serious question because Marvel Universe gets wierd sometimes.

Ghostlight posted:

Venom pulled two of them off and it seemed to annoy Namor somewhat.

Also of course he can pull them off literally but it hurts like hell. But they grow back. It's happened like three times I think. :v:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

caboodle posted:

I loved Gruenwald's run on Cap. He wrote him as someone who had to make difficult decisions (like having to shoot a terrorist dead).

There were some high points, like Flag-smasher's introduction or that time Cap punched Reagan, but for the most part it was dumb saturday morning cartoon stuff, and he was on the book for way too long. Remember that terrible sidekick he created who was like a parody of feminists?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

There were some high points, like Flag-smasher's introduction or that time Cap punched Reagan, but for the most part it was dumb saturday morning cartoon stuff, and he was on the book for way too long. Remember that terrible sidekick he created who was like a parody of feminists?

If you wanted to put together an illustrated presentation on the best and the worst things about 1980s Marvel, you could do a lot worse than just handing a dude a stack of Gruenwald's Cap comics.

He could get pretty loving weird if nobody stopped him, same as anyone else (holy poo poo is his Quasar book weird in retrospect), but he's fondly remembered for a reason.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Has Wolverine been decapitated? How does that work, exactly?

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

Mimir posted:

Someone pulls his head off, surely. He can't have indestructible metal on his spine / neck joints. He wouldn't be able to move otherwise.

This is the nerdiest post I've ever made.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Mimir posted:

Adamantium vertebrae don't mean poo poo when your spinal cord and discs are still made of neural tissue and cartilage.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Does his head grow a new body or his body a new head? Or do they both grow replacements and you get two wolverines? I expect that they dodge this question by having someone put his head back in place to rejoin or something.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mimir posted:

Best image I could find, I don't know what they're saying, and I don't know what happens next, but it's from Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk.

edit:

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
See the badass panels thread for this exact derail. And for content, the panel I posted there which was supposed to be badass but is hilarious.

Source: Wolverine: Origins #27 or 28

Ashcans posted:

Does his head grow a new body or his body a new head? Or do they both grow replacements and you get two wolverines? I expect that they dodge this question by having someone put his head back in place to rejoin or something.

They did this in Deadpool where his body grew a new head which was still him and his head got a new body and became evil. So, maybe that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
At that point they should just have him go liquid metal like the T-1000 where his body just finds itself and merges together. I think when Ultimate Hulk tore Wolverine apart he dragged himself to his lower half to heal. Comedy option is progressively tinier Wolverines like Ash and something out of Army of Darkness.

I remember Deadpool or Hulk or someone having to set their bones before they heal otherwise it would just come out bad.

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."

Dacap posted:

I think that was from Uncanny X-Men, Cyclops was playing out a Danger Room scenario on how to take down Wolverine. I think it involved Magneto freezing him by controlling his skeleton, Namor beheading him and Scott basically vaporizing the head with an optic blast.

It was Wolverine, actually. v4 #6, I wanna say.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gatts posted:

At that point they should just have him go liquid metal like the T-1000 where his body just finds itself and merges together.

That reminds me more of the Thing. From the Carpenter movie, not from FF.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Gatts posted:

At that point they should just have him go liquid metal like the T-1000 where his body just finds itself and merges together. I think when Ultimate Hulk tore Wolverine apart he dragged himself to his lower half to heal. Comedy option is progressively tinier Wolverines like Ash and something out of Army of Darkness.

They went out of their way to point out that Ultimate Wolverine's power works differently, which is why he survived decapitation. In that bit where Fury's talking to his head, Fury notes that Logan's started breathing through his skin and they have no idea how he's still able to talk.

616 Logan has moments of spectacular nonsense due to writers not knowing when to quit, but it's been pointed out that he could be killed if you bled him out fast enough (X-23 tried it once), if you drowned him (Daken tried it), or if you threw him into hard vacuum. It's just not efficient or realistic that you'd kill him through straight-up violence.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

There was some one-off book I remember reading where Logan's skeleton is all loving mangled and Kitty Pryde pushes him around in a wheel chair and then kills him by phasing her hand inside his skull and just kinda jumbling the bits up real quicklike.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

There was some one-off book I remember reading where Logan's skeleton is all loving mangled and Kitty Pryde pushes him around in a wheel chair and then kills him by phasing her hand inside his skull and just kinda jumbling the bits up real quicklike.
Ellis, Ghost Boxes.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Sockser posted:

If scrambling his brain was enough to kill him, pretty much everyone with super strength who punched him in the head could do it. Who wins, loses, lives, dies all depends who's writing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Sockser posted:

I just reread that a couple of weeks ago. It's Hisako, not Kitty, and she holds him down in a fire until he dies. It takes about eight hours.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Sockser posted:

You're probably mixing the Ghost Boxes What If Wanderer's talking about with the What If where Wolverine gets brainwashed by Hydra or something, singlehandedly kills every other hero in the world and then Kitty leaves her hand in his head after he severs it to finally kill him. I think she bleeds to death after? It was a pretty dumb story.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I just reread that a couple of weeks ago. It's Hisako, not Kitty, and she holds him down in a fire until he dies. It takes about eight hours.

Illuyankas posted:

You're probably mixing the Ghost Boxes What If Wanderer's talking about with the What If where Wolverine gets brainwashed by Hydra or something, singlehandedly kills every other hero in the world and then Kitty leaves her hand in his head after he severs it to finally kill him. I think she bleeds to death after? It was a pretty dumb story.

Yeah I got the two conflated. Thanks :)

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Gatts posted:

Comedy option is progressively tinier Wolverines like Ash and something out of Army of Darkness.

This actually happened to Lobo.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Started reading journey into Mystery this is from 649.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Wanderer posted:

They went out of their way to point out that Ultimate Wolverine's power works differently, which is why he survived decapitation. In that bit where Fury's talking to his head, Fury notes that Logan's started breathing through his skin and they have no idea how he's still able to talk.

616 Logan has moments of spectacular nonsense due to writers not knowing when to quit, but it's been pointed out that he could be killed if you bled him out fast enough (X-23 tried it once), if you drowned him (Daken tried it), or if you threw him into hard vacuum. It's just not efficient or realistic that you'd kill him through straight-up violence.

I want to believe that he'll eventually mutate into SCP-682

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Started reading journey into Mystery this is from 649.

That's an infamous Japanese Arnold Schwarzeneggar ad in the last panel, on the billboard to the left!

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

TombsGrave posted:

That's an infamous Japanese Arnold Schwarzeneggar ad in the last panel, on the billboard to the left!

Why is the ad infamous?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Unfit For Space posted:

Why is the ad infamous?

This isn't the best one but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNfhNW0GDew

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Unfit For Space posted:

Why is the ad infamous?
This sounds frankly hard to believe given the current state of affairs, but once upon a time it was loving unthinkable for movie stars to slum it so far down as to do commercials. You never saw it, but they'd go to foreign markets and cut commercials there that were not to be broadcast in America, because gently caress it, easy money. If I remember right, the Arnold ad is one of the first to actually be seen in the USA anyway. And then on top of that, how silly it is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nic Cage and Brad Pitt also have excellent foreign market commercials.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Source: http://marvel.com/news/story/20743/get_ready_for_marvel_lego_variants_in_september

Proportions are more accurate than the real cover :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
You forgot to post the best one, though :colbert:

• Locked thread