Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Kolta posted:

I know exactly what you mean. Last night 2 and a half hours went by without me even noticing while playing.

Are you playing on hardcore? I just lost my Gray Wizard. He got wedged and I only had bandages. Every hit was a miss from my other characters and they couldn't reach him. Thinking of maybe switching to Adventure mode [I think that's what it's called]. Get the same difficulty minus the permanent death of your character if not healed in time.

I'm not playing on hardcore, though I actually wish I was. Because I cannot resist the lure of loot rewards in side quests I've gone through 4/9 story missions without having someone get taken down. I mean, they've gone down, but I always rescued them in time. The only time I didn't was the first, when I didn't realise you only had one turn to get there. I think having the fear of losing a hero would add a lot of spice, but then I have only ever played XCOM on ironman so that may be another symptom of my madness.

I was tempted to restart on hardcore, as I'd prefer that. But at the same time I don't want to lose the hours I have invested so far. Reckon I'll clear it with the default 4, and swap to hardcore for the replay when I bring in the IAP heroes too. Going to make it that when I lose someone, I bring in the next hero in the rotation rather than choosing myself. Reckon it will be fun to take what comes rather than picking a dream team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

I was playing WQ solidly for a good couple of weeks, and then Scurvy Scallywags came out. Not touched anything else since.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Thanks for the KotOR info everyone - it's especially good to know I can rely on party members for a lot of skills. I love maxing out any skill that opens up dialog options in a game but that usually means sacrificing some combat-type skills, which makes leveling up particularly grindy.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Scurvy Scallywags is really, really good, and well worth 69p/your local App Store equivalent.

Initially it's a polished, beautifully presented and charming match-3, but once you realise what you really need to do is move the enemies away from you/into seed bombs, while balancing that with moving yourself towards quest items, and of course matching up swords to keep building up power... it becomes something deeper. Then there's all the RPG-ish equipment/skills/quests/ship upgrades to keep track of. And it's pretty funny!

My only complaint is you can't listen to your own music while playing, but even that's done nothing to stop me from constantly playing it.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm not playing on hardcore, though I actually wish I was. Because I cannot resist the lure of loot rewards in side quests I've gone through 4/9 story missions without having someone get taken down. I mean, they've gone down, but I always rescued them in time. The only time I didn't was the first, when I didn't realise you only had one turn to get there. I think having the fear of losing a hero would add a lot of spice, but then I have only ever played XCOM on ironman so that may be another symptom of my madness.

I was tempted to restart on hardcore, as I'd prefer that. But at the same time I don't want to lose the hours I have invested so far. Reckon I'll clear it with the default 4, and swap to hardcore for the replay when I bring in the IAP heroes too. Going to make it that when I lose someone, I bring in the next hero in the rotation rather than choosing myself. Reckon it will be fun to take what comes rather than picking a dream team.

Yeah I'm gonna keep going on hardcore. Just sucks my gray wizard got the chopping block. He had some kicking gear.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

What is The Nightjar like?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pinacotheca posted:

My only complaint is you can't listen to your own music while playing, but even that's done nothing to stop me from constantly playing it.

I'm pretty sure I did.

My only complaint is lack of multitasking.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

101 posted:

I'm pretty sure I did.

Wow, really? I would love to know how you did that, then.

I'm using an iPhone 4 and nothing I do (including deselecting music + sound in the game itself) works. This could easily be me missing something obvious, though.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

pinacotheca posted:

Wow, really? I would love to know how you did that, then.

I'm using an iPhone 4 and nothing I do (including deselecting music + sound in the game itself) works. This could easily be me missing something obvious, though.

Try double tapping the home button, swipe right and hit play again? I'm just guessing here.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Well, now I obviously feel like an idiot. In my defense, I've never used the home button double tap for anything other than killing apps, let alone sliding it to the right to find music playing options (?!) - I guess everything else I've played with my own music in the background has accommodated it automatically. Thanks for the heads up.

So, in fact, I have no complaints about Scurvy Scallywags after all, as it turns out.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009

pinacotheca posted:

Well, now I obviously feel like an idiot. In my defense, I've never used the home button double tap for anything other than killing apps, let alone sliding it to the right to find music playing options (?!) - I guess everything else I've played with my own music in the background has accommodated it automatically. Thanks for the heads up.

So, in fact, I have no complaints about Scurvy Scallywags after all, as it turns out.

Hey, don't feel bad. I've recently discovered I can four figure pinch the iPad screen while in an app to jump back to the icons page rendering the home button practically useless.

E: Oh, and if you swipe right a second time you have a volume slider.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

foobar posted:

Thanks for the KotOR info everyone - it's especially good to know I can rely on party members for a lot of skills. I love maxing out any skill that opens up dialog options in a game but that usually means sacrificing some combat-type skills, which makes leveling up particularly grindy.

You can't really grind in KOTOR because enemies scale to your level. It *does* mean that if all your points are in conversation skills, particularly early on you are going to get shat on quite a bit. Just level your companions for single 'utility' skills like lockpicking and dump the rest into combat and you'll be fine. Oh, and apparently the ideal is to try not to spend all your points before you become a Jedi, because then you can spend the points you didn't spend on being a non-Jedi schmuck on Jedi skills. But whatever really, like people have said it's hard to mess up totally because enemies scale to you anyway.

If you really want to grind and get every skill and have every enemy be super buff, there's a room in one of the KOTORs where there are infinitely respawning enemies.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

It *does* mean that if all your points are in conversation skills, particularly early on you are going to get shat on quite a bit.

All skills in KOTOR are non-combat skills. It's a d20 game, so your combat stuff levels up automatically based on your class.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Why did I spend so many hours last night on Sword and Glory. Good lord, guys, that game is addictive and now all I have is my 10k glory and level 4 character whose life I treasure.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God loving drat, KR:F. You already have replayability with the challenge modes and difficulties. There's no need to be a dick about it on the regular mode by taking the last few waves and inverting the enemies so your already established tower layout is completely hosed.

The surprise lane I can handle since I can make a good guess where it's coming from but gently caress you, jungle level and gently caress you, wasps.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Paradoxish posted:

All skills in KOTOR are non-combat skills. It's a d20 game, so your combat stuff levels up automatically based on your class.

I meant more like if you put all your perks (or whatever they're called) into abilities that aren't combat focused. Like I remember I destroyed the game by getting Knight Speed 3 I think it was. It's been years since I've played, though.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Kolta posted:

Yeah I'm gonna keep going on hardcore. Just sucks my gray wizard got the chopping block. He had some kicking gear.

Oh you lose their gear when they go down on hardcore? Nice. (Yes, I'm a masochist.) I somehow played 4.5 hours of WQ today, without even planning to. Lost my grey wizard in my first encounter with Skaven. My own fault, I had turned him into a glass cannon combat monster, and in the auto-leveling side quest I got tons of rats with 48 wounds and 2 attacks swarming me. Of course, I can just carry on as I'm not on hardcore. But ... feels like I am missing the thrill of potential defeat. Despite having almost 11 hours into this party, I think I'm going to start over. But to keep it fresh I'll fast travel to Reikland and see if it lets me start there.

I really like how the IAP campaign is integrated. I had done 5/9 quests in Stirland and stumbled across into Reikland pretty much just by accident. It's very seamlessly done. If future campaigns and content slide in this neatly I can see how the roguelike feeling would be extended as you should be able to just choose your warriors and wander around to your hearts content. Only need to do a random side quest between your current town and the next one to unlock it for your map.

This is some of the best money I have spent on games this year. Time to crank the difficulty up to 11 and start fresh. I don't really care about finishing it, I just want to kill stuff, find sweet loot, kill more stuff, and occasionally hate myself for losing my favourite warrior by being careless. Game delivers.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

pinacotheca posted:

I got a complaint: it turns on notifications without permission and gives you "you haven't played me lately" notification popups, which I loving hate.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
It's a good thing you don't care about finishing the game. As it is there is a quest in the skaven campaign that will always crash the game. So unfortunately you cannot finish it until it's patched. I got an email back from support today, they have a fix and are hoping to get it up soon.

heiden
May 31, 2005

by Pipski

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The surprise lane I can handle since I can make a good guess where it's coming from but gently caress you, jungle level and gently caress you, wasps.

Ranged air-attack upgrade for summoned dudes = best upgrade :)

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Feats are what combat easier, but if you play a soldier, you get feats by the goddamned barrel load.

If you're willing to play it blind a bit and fuckabout/learn the mechanics (Hint, go to the messages screen and there should be a button that will show you all the die rolls), and you can figure out what you need to do to not suck at combat. Once you've got that down, the game is a breeze more or less and you can gently caress about in non-combat poo poo.

So long as your main character is capable of being self-reliant in a fight, it makes the game much, much, easier. And not so much 'easier' as 'headbangingly frustratingly dumnb'

PS oh my god fft is so much goddamn fun

my phone is gonna need to be constantly plugged in now.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
FFT is like Dark Souls in that it's almost as much fun to talk about/help others in as it is to play it. So please post about your experiences. :)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've been playing Dead Ahead a lot whilst pooping and it's great for that but it's a shame that the game just kind of peters out. It doesn't get any harder after the third location and the last area is just marked as "coming soon."

sizuka2
Mar 19, 2012
Lurking. Always lurking.

SquadronROE posted:

Why did I spend so many hours last night on Sword and Glory. Good lord, guys, that game is addictive and now all I have is my 10k glory and level 4 character whose life I treasure.

Because it is fantastic. And hard.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh I just started. I haven't even been to Igros yet. Gotta put the team together and get them some rudimentary skills first (Throw stone, JP Boost, etc).

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
iPACROSS for iPad just went free, it seems to be a pretty decent picross game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

duckfarts posted:

They didn't happen to include more levels did they? I've played through the original ones at least three times.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

duckfarts posted:

It's THE BEST picross game.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Nickoten posted:

FFT is like Dark Souls in that it's almost as much fun to talk about/help others in as it is to play it. So please post about your experiences. :)

As I mentioned in my last post I had an Chapter 2 18-hour save file from about a year and a half (maybe 2.5?) ago but decided to restart in honor of the update and of the story making sense. Then I restarted because I dismissed Agrias's retinue and ruined access to a great accessory later on.

The LP is really, really useful particularly for those who've played through the PS1 version before and want some tips on how to really wrench the system. While the LP is not the WotL version the author is aware and will comment to that effect when necessary.

SpookyLizard posted:

Oh I just started. I haven't even been to Igros yet. Gotta put the team together and get them some rudimentary skills first (Throw stone, JP Boost, etc).
A few tips from my recent experience: though it's tempting to get everyone on the super-offensive physical brawl/dual-wield/sword grasp train early on, especially given how spillover JP works, it actually makes the game really hard (or at least high-risk) if you neglect Chemist/White Mage/Black Mage/Summoner competency and defensive/control abilities from other classes (e.g. armor wearing, breaking). Some story battles will just be stacked such that your poo poo will get wrecked if you're over-specialized in one area with everyone. Sure, you could grind it out, but you're talking at least a couple dozen hours of grinding, and you run into so many unique characters who join up who are just plain better than generics. You can easily end the game without having any generics remaining in your party.

To summarize the LP, it appears to be a better idea to have at least one dedicated offensive magic user, one dedicated defensive magic user, and Ramza as an offensive physical character, and make them all zodiac-compatible with each other. A Chemist with a gun makes a great back-up healer and long distance battlefield control unit via breaking abilities. The fourth generic doesn't matter but having a thief in your pocket is good for a couple major story opportunities, but they don't arise until mid-Chapter 2 at the earliest so don't sweat it.

That being said, to start, it's not a bad idea to make everyone Squires to get Stone, then JP Boost, then Focus, Move +1 and Counter Tackle which will always be useful to accrue JP when you have no other opportunities, and make you generally more survivable. Except for Ramza's special Squire abilities you will never use anything other than Stone and Focus so don't bother learning the others. Secondarily, having everyone do a little Chemist just to make sure you get Potion and Phoenix Down, because having Item with those two can turn a total devastating loss into a near-loss that you can still benefit from.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
Addicted to falldown 2. Simple and fun.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Nickoten posted:

I was replaying the mission with mustadio and his hometown. Normally it's a pretty easy fight, but not this time.

I rush to take out the 2 summoners in the middle which work amazing thanks to my female ninja. Mustadio is handling the 2 thieves pretty well. Then the thieves are dumb enough to get close to each other so my female white Mage/ black Mage can fire 3 them. Then the bullshit happens. One thief has a mantle on. Dodges the 90% hit rate spell. Then charms my white Mage, who then revives a summoner and sucides herself. She manages to kill herself where my monks can't revive her. No problem I thought, I'll use my female ninja with item to revive her. That drat thief then charms my ninja. So I hit the ninja to bring her back. She can't reach the white Mage that turn so she decides to hit the thief. If both of her 90% hit rate attack succeed then his dead. She misses both times! And then the thief charms her again. So I go to hit the ninja before her turn and she dodges. And then the white Mage crystallized :sigh:

edit: I agree with Kenny Logins with party set up. Work on 1 offensive mage, 1 defensive mage (who is compatible with ramza), and an offensive Ramaza. I just made the other units male monks with heavy armor and item, until a unique unit could replace them. Trying to have 4-5 melee units is just asking for trouble.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 10, 2013

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
So, uh. Warhammer Quest. Definitely a fun game. I've bought all the extra content. Yay for that.

However, this game rips through battery on my iPhone 5 like you wouldn't believe. I just played for 10 minutes and was down 14% battery. Earlier, I played for 5 or so minutes, and was down 10% battery.

Guess this is going to be an iPad mini exclusive game for me :(

Don't think it's just my phone either, since normal usage throughout the day hardly touches the battery. But trying to load this up absolutely wrecks the battery life. Is there any setting or some such I'm missing that would help out?

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 10, 2013

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

SynthOrange posted:

Help, I'm trapped inside a block fortress. Goblocks all around, robot's murdering them but those loving shadow goblocks will be the death of me.

Motion detectors shielded by flamers with stun and regen mods will make short work of shadows.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

Yodzilla posted:

I've been playing Dead Ahead a lot whilst pooping and it's great for that but it's a shame that the game just kind of peters out. It doesn't get any harder after the third location and the last area is just marked as "coming soon."

Yeah I played that for a good 8 hours total, but just instantly lost all interest after beating the objectives. Maybe that's where looping objectives with number-incrementing badges come in. Not complaining though, 8 hours of time wasting for $0 is great.

Also was kind of amused with just how closely they copied Paul Robertson's art and animation style. Even down to character design (no woman in the game actually wearing pants). I had to check that it wasn't him.

Stormfang1502 posted:

Motion detectors shielded by flamers with stun and regen mods will make short work of shadows.

I just have a diamond pattern of 8 motion detectors around my fort, and have about 4 howitzers positioned overhead on higher walls so that they cover the area. Nothing ever gets through.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

duckfarts posted:

It's EXACTLY what I wanted in a picross game! Thanks so much for posting about it!

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

Kepa posted:

I just have a diamond pattern of 8 motion detectors around my fort, and have about 4 howitzers positioned overhead on higher walls so that they cover the area. Nothing ever gets through.

Out of curiosity, what wave are you on? After wave 100 there's no way 4 howitzers would be able to deal with the sheer numbers of mobs being thrown at you. Flamers at least let you stun them while other defenses get time to deal with them.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kepa posted:

Also was kind of amused with just how closely they copied Paul Robertson's art and animation style. Even down to character design (no woman in the game actually wearing pants). I had to check that it wasn't him.

YES god I did the exact same thing.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

heiden posted:

Ranged air-attack upgrade for summoned dudes = best upgrade :)

Missles for mechs is the best tower upgrade. The second point doubles the effectiveness, range be damned (those fuckers go anywhere), hit air targets and the recharge can't be longer than 10 seconds or so. Add in the fact that the mechs themselves have incredible attack speed and it's a no-brainer. I loved the DWAARP tower and moving on was hard but now it's all mechs, all the time for me!

Cloudchaos fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 10, 2013

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

That wrestling game everyone loves just had an update.

This game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cloudchaos posted:

Missles for mechs is the best tower upgrade. The second point doubles the effectiveness, range be damned (those fuckers go anywhere), hit air targets and the recharge can't be longer than 10 seconds or so. Add in the fact that the mechs themselves have incredible attack speed and it's a no-brainer. I loved the DWAARP tower and moving on was hard but now it's all mechs, all the time for me!

Abandoning artillery towers is how I have suddenly succeded in KR:F (more money for crossbow tower deathtraps, you see, that barrage ability owns) but this might get me back in the artillery game.

I think that might have been part of my irritation earlier is how my KR strategies which completely flattened KR in every challenge just weren't cutting it but still this game can be cruel on Casual. Normal or Veteran or whatever scare me.

• Locked thread