Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Yep looks like they were forced to wind back the clock, this really sucks. FK was my main army builder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Hipster Occultist posted:

Yep looks like they were forced to wind back the clock, this really sucks. FK was my main army builder.

I'm still seeing all the gargantuan stuff, I just opened it up.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Aaaaand now I'm seeing it again.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Me as well. Seeing as there is no announcement on their blog and a distinct lack of raging about this any place, maybe it was a technical issue after all?

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.

S.J. posted:

One of you could totally apply to be a PG! That being said, download and go over the Steamroller 2013 document http://privateerpress.com/steamroller-2013-documents-now-available. Make sure to have enough markers for zones, flags and objectives and have a good knowledge of the rules for interacting with objectives as well as scoring. Make sure to get word out to as many people as you can because some of them just won't show up, and encourage people to sign up and prepay for the event. Also, if a lot of your players are on facebook, make an event there to invite people with as well as a facebook group for your local players to chat and discuss things on. Encourage people to start practicing timed turns if they don't already.

And make sure to have timers!

e: oh and make sure that if anything else is going on the day that you want to have the tournament, that you'll be able to reserve some tables beforehand.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I would have forgot about timers since I just use my phone personally. This helps me get a better idea of what I need.

To be a PG, you need 2 painted battleboxes from WM or Hordes, a store's endorsement, and the application, correct? I just may have to pick up the CoC box and paint it...

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Got my painting stuff unpacked and am back inflicting my paintjobs on models! :v: I re-did Morvahna the Autumnblade's cloak from the polka mess I posted last time. (Apologies for the phone camera shot)

You will see that I chickened out of the freehand leaves idea entirely and went with this other way of getting some autumn colours in. Sometimes I look at it and think it is pretty good, sometimes I hate it, but I think I am done painting Morvahna's cloak for a while.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
It's good.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

evenworse username posted:

Got my painting stuff unpacked and am back inflicting my paintjobs on models! :v: I re-did Morvahna the Autumnblade's cloak from the polka mess I posted last time. (Apologies for the phone camera shot)

You will see that I chickened out of the freehand leaves idea entirely and went with this other way of getting some autumn colours in. Sometimes I look at it and think it is pretty good, sometimes I hate it, but I think I am done painting Morvahna's cloak for a while.

looks brilliant blending is very nice

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

omnibobb posted:

It's good.

gilljoy posted:

looks brilliant blending is very nice

Thanks very much indeed. I am just starting to get my head around blending and so it's good to hear that it is coming out ok. I always have a hard time judging my own stuff.

e: Thank you too!
vvvvv

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 10, 2013

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's honestly much better without the leaves. Looks good man.

I played in a SR over in Detroit yesterday. Took a beating as expected as I'm lucky to get one game a week in what is charitably called a developing meta, while Detroit obviously has a super competitive meta. I at least got one win and learned a lot from most of the other games. :unsmith:

No fun stories to tell really, though I did get to apply Mulg's club to Fatty Rasheth's face. This was after a KSB grunt made 5-6 tough checks to keep a Bronzeback away from Mulg. So that was cool. Another dude was up 3-0 on CP only to see his opponent make one last attack as dice down was called. Dice for damage were still bouncing as the call went, and did exactly enough to kill his caster. Heartbreaker but he couldn't do much more than laugh at it.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Can you charge and have a star attack as your charge attack?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

omnibobb posted:

Depends on whether the star attack is attached to a weapon or not.

The Menoth Castigator, for example, can't charge and use it's Combust attack because it isn't attached to a weapon. The Vanquisher can charge and Thresher, though, because it's attached to the chain weapon. You only get the boosted damage on the attack against the charge target though.

e: The Forward Kommander dude says the disappearing Gargantuans stuff was a 'screwup' and nothing to do with PP. Nice.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

omnibobb posted:

Only if it's associated with the melee weapon.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
So Molik Karns combo strike is under his falchion so you can get a p+s 18 weapon master + charge? Doooooope

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

omnibobb posted:

So Molik Karns combo strike is under his falchion so you can get a p+s 18 weapon master + charge? Doooooope

Correct, but there are two things to consider.

1) You should always be Enraging first, so you're really looking at a POW 20 charge.

2) Unless you're trying to crack ARM>20, Combo Strike is usually no better, if not worse, than making two initial attacks. Against an ARM 20 target, an Enraged Combo Strike will average 14 damage, where an Enraged normal charge followed by a second initial will deal a total average of 14.5.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

evenworse username posted:

Depends on whether the star attack is attached to a weapon or not.

The Menoth Castigator, for example, can't charge and use it's Combust attack because it isn't attached to a weapon. The Vanquisher can charge and Thresher, though, because it's attached to the chain weapon. You only get the boosted damage on the attack against the charge target though.

e: The Forward Kommander dude says the disappearing Gargantuans stuff was a 'screwup' and nothing to do with PP. Nice.

That is strange as it has consistently lacked the gargantuan stuff for skorne the times I've tried to use it. Going back to it a couple times today, one time it did have the mammoth and makeda3, although no incindiairii.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Khisanth Magus posted:

That is strange as it has consistently lacked the gargantuan stuff for skorne the times I've tried to use it. Going back to it a couple times today, one time it did have the mammoth and makeda3, although no incindiairii.

The Incindiarii do appear to be missing, how strange.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Benson Cunningham posted:

I'm pretty sure Arc Node + Harbinger is the new best idea ever. With wracks I can get 11 focus, can I get 12? Hierophant let's me cast Cataclysm 3x on one turn but I want 4.

:raise: You're measuring cataclysm's damage distance from Harby still... not from the arc node, right?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Arc nodes are useful for harby to arc fear of god onto people. If she wants to cataclysm them, she wants to be within her natural casting distance, the closer the better. I've won several games by charging something to get within cataclysm range(sometimes my own model) then getting 2 off with boosted damage.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Alpha Phoenix posted:

:raise: You're measuring cataclysm's damage distance from Harby still... not from the arc node, right?

Oh, I thought the arc node counted as the spell originator for the purpose of measuring distance. Is that not the case?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Benson Cunningham posted:

Oh, I thought the arc node counted as the spell originator for the purpose of measuring distance. Is that not the case?

Check the wording on Cataclysm. It doesn't say 'Distance from the spells point of origin' it specifically says the distance from The Harbinger.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The card doesn't, the book does. You always measure from Harbie.

E: Had a game the other day which ended pretty brutally, then I realised I broke a basic rule of the game without realising it at the time.

pVayl does not have bushwhack, turns out I cant shoot a beast, bounce a spell and then move to drag another beast about. I can do it if I have a Spell Martyr about, but drat, pretty basic rule gently caress up.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 10, 2013

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

I'm thinking about starting up a Cygnar army. No one around here plays Cygnar and the factions aesthetics have really grown on me over time. I don't know much about the faction, at least not till my book gets here, so I turned to the wider internet for information and hooooooo boy that was a mistake. It appears that every Cygnar player thinks that the faction is either amazing with nothing wrong with it or they think that there is nothing good in faction except for a few casters and Stormwall. I'm so confused :v:

Nightwatcher
Apr 18, 2007

EAThief posted:

I'm thinking about starting up a Cygnar army. No one around here plays Cygnar and the factions aesthetics have really grown on me over time. I don't know much about the faction, at least not till my book gets here, so I turned to the wider internet for information and hooooooo boy that was a mistake. It appears that every Cygnar player thinks that the faction is either amazing with nothing wrong with it or they think that there is nothing good in faction except for a few casters and Stormwall. I'm so confused :v:

Cygnar is a fun faction. The casters are great and the faction has a lot of neat jacks. The faction as a whole is very matchup dependent however and often relies on mercenaries to fill in gaps the basic infantry is too specialized to handle.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

EAThief posted:

They have relatively lackluster troops but access to awesome merc replacements. eHaley is so good I see people regularly promising not to use her for one game and so on. Stormwall is also basically more or less ridiculous. Generally you see people complaining that they have to rely on mercs to fill gaps and they really want better infantry, but stuff like Boomhowler's is basically tailor-made for Cygnar and will keep your faction looking cool.

Side eHaley note I have a friend that plays Cygnar, just never in tournaments, and it's always funny to watch him pretend to pick a caster for 5 minutes or so before finally settling on eHaley (just this one time of course) because she's perfect for this one matchup (which is all of them).

Gay Polymers
Jun 14, 2005

I hear voices in my head
They talk to me
They understand
Where are my keys?
Welp, just booked a room for Warmachine Weekend and got the time off from work. I've decided to turn this into an epic adventure, so I am roadtripping from Boston to St. Louis, 19 hours each way. Should be loving nuts. Any of you that will be there, I will require copious amounts of gaming to make this worth my while. :)

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
drat, and I thought driving from Michigan was bad. Have fun with that drive. :pwn:

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

drat, and I thought driving from Michigan was bad. Have fun with that drive. :pwn:

Agreed, we're already bellyaching about our drive from Northeast Florida, 12ish hours.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I have to choose between WMW and meeting a bunch of goons, or going to Gencon where lots of people from my local area go each year. Why must I choose!

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
My local group includes Brandon who got second place at L&L last weekend.
They're fiercely aggressive about going to WMW, but I've got no desire to share a room with five other guys, and am lacking the funds to make other arrangements.

Next year for sure.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Syntherion question: Do I roll Auto-repair once per model, or just once total?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

theironjef posted:

Syntherion question: Do I roll Auto-repair once per model, or just once total?

Each model has a seperate instance of the rule, so you roll once per model.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

EAThief posted:

Honestly, it is both. Cygnar is not a well designed faction.

If you are playing against someone who has lots of single wound infantry with ARM 16 or less, you will skull gently caress them (hence Cryx infantry swarm players often think Cygnar is far scarier than most other factions). If you are playing against someone with a lot of warjacks that can be disrupted, you will skull gently caress them (the game mechanics make this a crappy list anyways). If you play against someone and they don't walk into a ranged assassination and you need to do actual heavy lifting to get them off the table you are going to have an uphill battle. The faction flat out sucks at doing work and generally can't take a punch. This is why you take Stormwall in 90% of your lists. (If you don't loooooove Stormwall, don't play Cygnar. Period.) The Cygnar melee infantry is generally a waste of money unless you have a corner case list for it. Except maybe sword knights. (If you don't looooooove merc infantry, don't play Cygnar).

Also, prepare to get shot off the table in a battle of heavy guns if you play Cygnar. Cygnar is actually generally poo poo at big guns (Exception being the Stormwall, who is merely OK at shooting while he is preparing to do other stuff).

Cygnar will let you sweep non-tough light infantry (although tough infantry are everywhere). You can remove forward solos with ease, and you can kill the support pieces that the other player is willing to let you kill. The faction has a lot of mobility enhancers for their jacks that let them get into good positions. The jacks are pillow fisted, but merc support let you fix damage output and while Cygnar heavy guns are poo poo at heavy lifting, they are OK at damaging a target just enough that your jack won't come up short when it goes in.

Also, you only ever get to play one caster with a good gun in any set of lists because of Reinholt (because the faction is badly designed).

The faction isn't bad. It is badly designed. Hence people being all over the place with their assessment of the faction, since the faction itself is all over the place. Which isn't to say that shouldn't play Cygnar, because other factions like Khador or Trollbloods suffer from having boring designs, which is a fault that Cygnar does not have.

And yes, someone won warmachine weekend with Cygnar. Then again, they only played two power casters a ton of mercs and Stormwall.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Cyclomatic posted:

And yes, someone won warmachine weekend with Cygnar. Then again, they only played two power casters a ton of mercs and Stormwall.

There's a lot I disagree with in your post--cordially disagree; you're an experienced player and I know that you've come by your viewpoints honestly--but I think the main thing that really needs to be noted is that Keith (allegedly) would not have taken eHaley to the WMW Invitational if there hadn't been a painting requirement. He was more comfortable with pCaine, had substantially more success with him on the road up to WMW, and while his list did indeed include a Stormwall it also included fully twenty points worth of Prime units that the vast majority of internet Cygnar people thought/think are trash. And pCaine was considered average at best for virtually all of MkII. And now Keith's won the first Iron Gauntlet with eHaley + mercs, with Thorn as his only jack, which has for over a year (I recall him talking about this last April/May) been his favorite way to play her.

(EDIT: The rest of this post is meant to be a response to the EAThief's question and a development of the topic at hand, not a direct response to Cyclomatic. Cyclomatic and everyone else, you're welcome to disagree with me on particulars here, but I know we're on the same page on at least a few things and this isn't meant as a fiery return salvo.)

I think that Cygnar has more dead and nearly dead model entries than any other faction in Warmachine, and that's a shame. (I do think that, by the same token, most of the models in the book don't get nearly enough credit.) Cygnar is also perhaps the most specialized faction in the game--the only really well-known wargaming comparison I can think of is 3rd Edition 40k Eldar, except without the benefit of 75% of your opponents being Toughness 4 with 3+ Saves. Most Cygnar models excel with a couple of casters or in a couple of matchups and are overcosted in most other situations. There are no Ravagores or Bronzebacks (except maybe the Stormwall, sure). But for all that, I don't think they're poorly designed.

Cygnar are obviously designed to make extensive use of Mercenaries. With the coming of character restrictions, this can be sort of a strain in three-list (or four-list, but that's a totally loving stupid format imo) but that just forces people to innovate. And that's what's been happening. I don't believe that the faction was nonviable pre-Stormwall and I think that people who put Stormwall in 3/3 tournament lists are going to have the same rude awakening as Khador players who take Iron Flesh in 3/3 (assuming that the Stormwall folks haven't picked up a new trend before that happens). Stormwall is great, yeah, but with the right casters there's still plenty of room for Thunderhead, Rowdy, Stormclad, Sentinel, and so forth--substantially more, in fact, in SR2013 than there was in SR2012.

HOWEVER. My normal song-and-dance when talking to new players is to say that the rising and falling fortunes of models/units/factions in the national meta doesn't matter and shouldn't register to them because player skill and experience are such overwhelming factors at the front end. I think that if there is an exception to this, it's Cygnar. It's very hard for brand new Cygnar players to figure out where they can most effectively spend their first $300 or so, and while "Stormwall, Squire, and mercs" is regrettable hyperbole, it's also true that that's probably the most flexible poo poo money can buy, assuming that the new player is going to be playing eCaine or eHaley. They're popular for a lot of reasons, some self-perpetuating (they're pretty commonly seen as the best casters in the faction, so people keep playing them) and some fundamental (they've both got great models and cool, proactive fluff).

But for any new players who don't want to begin with those two, a lot of the shorthand and vitriol and common Cygnar wisdom needs to fall away and be replaced with a quiet encouragement: it's an unusually deep faction in an unusually deep game, and there are no easy answers, but if you pick one or two casters and work outward from their synergistic benefits, paying attention to who wants Friendly Faction models and who wants 'jacks capable of out-of-activation movement and who wants the tools to personally affect the battlefield and who wants to be as far away from it as possible and who wants a fuckload of pirates and who wants to be run in tier, you'll have a much better--and probably more successful--time than if you take the easy way out and then wail about how your dolls aren't good enough at what your friend's dolls are good at.

Oh, I also don't think Khador or Trollbloods have boring designs. I think they have boring players.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 11, 2013

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sulecrist posted:

Cygnar are obviously designed to make extensive use of Mercenaries.

While you both have some good points this is something that I want to touch on specifically. Khador and Cygnar are both designed to make extensive use of mercenaries. The list of mercs that Cygnar and Khador can bring is almost the exact same number, the only significant differences being Rhupert (who they already get an in-faction version of anyway) and Anastasia di Bray. They both make extensive use of Eiryss, you will usually see Sylas in one of the factions lists at a tournament, Reinholdt isn't uncommon for Khador players to take, and Khador runs Nyss Hunters much better than Cygnar, but has less of a use for Boomhowlers than Cygnar does.

A lot of people point out how many mercenary units Cygnar can take, but mercenary (units specifically) aren't meant to fill holes in every list, even when they're available. Cygnar uses mercs because Cygnar has some really badly designed/badly overcosted infantry, not because they're meant to be taking hoards of mercenaries in every list.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I have been wanting to get into this game forever. This is my first miniatures game and I recently picked up a Circle battle box and a Gorax (which I believe rounds me out at 15 points to start, according to a more knowledgeable friend). I'm learning some difficult lessons putting the models together, but a lesson I can't figure out is how my Argus' tails are supposed to stay glued on? I assume they are supposed to fit together right out of the box but I can't get them to stay attached with glue. Should I be doing something else?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sarx posted:

I have been wanting to get into this game forever. This is my first miniatures game and I recently picked up a Circle battle box and a Gorax (which I believe rounds me out at 15 points to start, according to a more knowledgeable friend). I'm learning some difficult lessons putting the models together, but a lesson I can't figure out is how my Argus' tails are supposed to stay glued on? I assume they are supposed to fit together right out of the box but I can't get them to stay attached with glue. Should I be doing something else?

Are you using super glue? Plastic glue doesn't really work on PP models. You might have to file part of the tab down to get it to fit I guess. What's the problem exactly?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

EAThief posted:

Cygnar are cool but have a surprising learning curve for the boys in blue. Requirements to play the faction at all are to be full of self loathing, be complaining about Cygnar at all times and constantly moaning all of your things are terrible to other factions whilst being an absolute bore to listen to. If you can champion those attributes, you'll fit in just fine!

Honestly the PP big boards are generally bad as a rule of thumb with few exceptions and the Cygnar board is the worst of the lot, so don't listen to them. The faction is filled with some of the best Warcasters in the entire game. It's a faction that requires intensive use of specialists to do well and it isn't that easy to learn. Generally the game requires good knowledge of board positioning and target priorities to play well, and they're very noticeable in Cygnar and less forgiving as a result.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

S.J. posted:

While you both have some good points this is something that I want to touch on specifically. Khador and Cygnar are both designed to make extensive use of mercenaries. The list of mercs that Cygnar and Khador can bring is almost the exact same number, the only significant differences being Rhupert (who they already get an in-faction version of anyway) and Anastasia di Bray. They both make extensive use of Eiryss, you will usually see Sylas in one of the factions lists at a tournament, Reinholdt isn't uncommon for Khador players to take, and Khador runs Nyss Hunters much better than Cygnar, but has less of a use for Boomhowlers than Cygnar does.

A lot of people point out how many mercenary units Cygnar can take, but mercenary (units specifically) aren't meant to fill holes in every list, even when they're available. Cygnar uses mercs because Cygnar has some really badly designed/badly overcosted infantry, not because they're meant to be taking hoards of mercenaries in every list.

I (as a Khador player) take loads of Mercs with pretty much every caster I play (sometimes even eSorscha), so I might have kind of a skewed perspective. I actually take Boomhowlers even more than Nyss Hunters, though if I ever take them to a full-size three-list tournament I'll certainly have both. I'm currently dojoing Herne & Jonne. I'm not saying Kayazy are poo poo (they're good), I'm just saying I'd rather spend the same points on mercenaries almost 100% of the time.

E: If I could take Taryn, Rhupert, and Forgeguard, I'd take Taryn, Rhupert, and Forgeguard.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Cygnar owns. Its one of the most rewarding factions to play imo, because of how steep the learning curve can be. There is a ton of hidden synergys to be found if you are willing to put the time and money in.

That being said, it takes a lot of dedication. I played skorne for about a year, then cryx for another year or so. I consider myself a pretty solid player, and my meta is a shark tank. I started cygnar and i felt like a complete noob again. They are extremely technical, and punsish you brutally when you misplace models or screw up order of activations.

When you start to get it right and the machine is running on all cylinders, there is nothing like it. Its the most rewarding warmachine experience imo. I think playing circle well is probably similar.

• Locked thread