Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how the doomsday guy downtown in Santa Monica will spout out a Godspeed You! Black Emperor reference occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Stuntman posted:

I like how the doomsday guy downtown in Santa Monica will spout out a Godspeed You! Black Emperor reference occasionally.

Clarification? I've never noticed it but I don't listen to him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

"Lift your skinny fists like antennae to heaven!" and other bizarre lines are references to song titles from an atomically lovely "post-rock" band.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I got a big laugh out of the person at the blood bank going "I feel asleep!" when you Dominate them.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Among his lines are "The sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides!" which is a reference to The Dead Flag Blues.

Halloween Jack posted:

an atomically lovely "post-rock" band.
:mad:

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Halloween Jack posted:

an atomically lovely "post-rock" band.

I am simply speechless that someone could possible say such words about Godspeed You! Black Emperor...

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012
So I just made it to Hollywood and I'm pretty sure my game is borked. I can't complete a bunch of quests (I never gave the Beach house pendant to Theresa despite getting and completing more quests from her, I can't find Lily anywhere, I can't find the werewolf sample in the blood bank, etc). Is there a way to fix this or should I just start over with a clean install?

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

SSGT Anime posted:

So I just made it to Hollywood and I'm pretty sure my game is borked. I can't complete a bunch of quests (I never gave the Beach house pendant to Theresa despite getting and completing more quests from her, I can't find Lily anywhere, I can't find the werewolf sample in the blood bank, etc). Is there a way to fix this or should I just start over with a clean install?
Considering you've made it to Hollywood, you don't really need to complete those quests. Go find Isaac at the jewelry store, head down the road where the restaurant is and it's the last alley to your left.

Now if you want to complete the other quests keep reading. Ignore the beach house pendant since from what you have said I'm assuming you've gave it to Jeannette.

With Lily quest, make sure you do the quest in the order that it wants you to do it. (Once getting the quest, hit up the Santa Monica diner to get the car keys and the bail bond. Use the bail bond at Kilpatrick's Bail Bonds to find the car, open up the trunk and collect the diary then head straight into the Medical Clinic to free her.)

The werewolf blood is on the top level of the Medical Clinic. There's many ways to approach that quest so have fun figuring out your way of completing that quest.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012
I still have the pendant in my inventory, and the Ghost Haunts at Midnight and Spiritual Release quests are still incomplete. I've tried every way of using the bail bond or presenting it to Kilpatrik, but nothing works. I guess I'll look for the sample upstairs, at least.

edit: just checked the Krimeputer and found what I was looking for, but the deal with the pendant is still bugging me.

SSGT Anime fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 18, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I inevitably have one or two quests that doesn't clear out of the journal correctly when playing the game. I wouldn't worry about it.

In particular I always forget to talk to the one nosferatu before doing a certain part of the game.

Dec 26, 2012

Romeo Charlie posted:

I find that section bearable when you're using the Colt Peacemaker in there. It knocks back the small creatures so they never get a chance to maul you.

That and knowing the sewer level like the back of your hand helps make going through there tolerable.

The little guys aren't any big thing once you realize they can't damage you on their initial leap when you're crouching because the hitboxes in this game are strange sometimes. Note that this doesn't make the sewers any less terrible.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012

Rascyc posted:

I inevitably have one or two quests that doesn't clear out of the journal correctly when playing the game. I wouldn't worry about it.
But I worked so hard on this one! Ghosts and poo poo!

01011001 posted:

Note that this doesn't make the sewers any less terrible.

Guess what I'm doing right now? Pumps and poo poo! :v:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

The part where you have to turn off the fan and swim up the pipe with only a few seconds to do it otherwise you get pushed back to the beginning is the worst.

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

The part where you have to turn off the fan and swim up the pipe with only a few seconds to do it otherwise you get pushed back to the beginning is the worst.

There's a goddam endless swarm of these critters and I've already spent my entire fortune on ammo. If nothing else, this quest line is pretty tense simply because of how badly it drains you of all your resources. There better be a good payoff after this! :argh:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SSGT Anime posted:

There's a goddam endless swarm of these critters and I've already spent my entire fortune on ammo. If nothing else, this quest line is pretty tense simply because of how badly it drains you of all your resources. There better be a good payoff after this! :argh:

This is honestly one of those parts where using console commands for god mode or just noclipping is recommended.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I didn't think you could get to Hollywood without having dealt with the pendant thing, as Tung won't talk to you and let you do the warehouse stuff (which summons the taxi so you can leave the first hub).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think he did it but the clean-up script or whatever didn't trigger. I wouldn't be surprised if he actually got the XP/reward for it, but who knows.

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

SSGT Anime posted:

Nothing mind blowing, it's honestly just a terribly designed part of the game.

In a game that had previously been full of life with multiple solutions to every quest here's a combat heavy slog through a winding maze of a sewer. :suicide:

I really have to wonder who gave this the green light at troika HQ.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just noclip through those sewers now.

gently caress sewers in games. I just won't.

\/\/\/ Yup.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 18, 2013

SSGT Anime
Apr 21, 2012
I just fought like eight of the same boss in a row. And then my game crashed! :suicide:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

That's a bummer. After the first time through the sewers I just noclipped my way through it every time. Don't worry about it, there's no shame in it.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SSGT Anime posted:

I just fought like eight of the same boss in a row. And then my game crashed! :suicide:
So close man, you were so close to finishing the sewer level.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

01011001 posted:

The little guys aren't any big thing once you realize they can't damage you on their initial leap when you're crouching because the hitboxes in this game are strange sometimes. Note that this doesn't make the sewers any less terrible.
"The little head monsters primary attack has a really janky hitbox interaction and is easy to exploit" is probably the kindest thing one can say about the trainwreck that is the Hollywood sewer level. Shotgun blasts and anaconda rounds also tend to have enough knockback that they'll continue using their ineffectual leap attack until they're dead. Crouch everywhere + colt anaconda is a pretty good way to get through the sewers. Noclip is even better though, that whole level is just so much needlessly tacked-on filler.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
For me, the sewers were Obfuscate and drain all the rats.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I just used god-mode and no-clip through the last third of the game. :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If you're fighting your way through the sewers, you're doing it wrong. You can literally just run through the whole thing.

whenimmashoo
Jun 12, 2013

Fuzz posted:

If you're fighting your way through the sewers, you're doing it wrong. You can literally just run through the whole thing.

I remember there being at least one part where you have to fight 20 of those flying meatballs before moving on.

But yeah you can run past the bigger creatures for the most part.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It's no secret that some parts are terrible and probably a remnant of the game starting out as an FPS, so god-moding or noclipping through some poo poo is warranted and totally expected.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My first time through I've spent like 10 seconds running around in noclip mode, trying to figure out how to open the entrance to the Nosferatu lair (in retrospect, there's a chance that I could noclip to the entrance with a bit of persistence, but it didn't work when I first tried it so I thought opening the door would end the level automatically) until I finally ventured back into the sewers to find the keycard.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

It's no secret that some parts are terrible and probably a remnant of the game starting out as an FPS, so god-moding or noclipping through some poo poo is warranted and totally expected.

It started out as an FPS? Thats interesting i had no idea is there anywhere to read up on the entirety/good chunk of the development?

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I must admit, I've never cheated my way through the sewer level. I just know the level intimately so I breeze through it when I play it now.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
On my recent, first-time playthrough, my experience in one of the later levels went something like this:

"That was a really nasty boss fight. On to the next level... hmm, walk around this corner and THE HELL?"

*Reboot from last save.*

"So, they drop a boss and then put another out as just "dude around a corner," huh? Well, screw this! Time to abuse the stealth mechanics!"

Sure enough, you can sneak right past the vast majority of the sewer encounters, including ones standing right in the middle of a passage. Granted, I was playing with the unofficial patch but not the plus portion of it, so the stealth nerf might complicate matters. My only complaint was how much longer it takes to get through all those empty passages while sneaking.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Narsham posted:

On my recent, first-time playthrough, my experience in one of the later levels went something like this:

"That was a really nasty boss fight. On to the next level... hmm, walk around this corner and THE HELL?"

*Reboot from last save.*

"So, they drop a boss and then put another out as just "dude around a corner," huh? Well, screw this! Time to abuse the stealth mechanics!"

Sure enough, you can sneak right past the vast majority of the sewer encounters, including ones standing right in the middle of a passage. Granted, I was playing with the unofficial patch but not the plus portion of it, so the stealth nerf might complicate matters. My only complaint was how much longer it takes to get through all those empty passages while sneaking.

You can literally just run at full speed through that part with any character. The only hiccup would be the Nossie that gets killed by the spitter thing.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I still go through the sewers slow and legit, Wesp has a history of moving items around randomly and I never want *this run* to be one where I miss a stat book or fetish or w/e. It really is too long compared to every other quest though, if the rest of the game was like that I'd maybe be ok but it's not so it sticks out as a sore thumb.

The final quest is long and boring too, but at least it mixes it up a bit with locations and boss fights I guess instead of lame puzzles.

Dec 26, 2012

Woden posted:

The final quest is long and boring too, but at least it mixes it up a bit with locations and boss fights I guess instead of lame puzzles.

Yeah, really, after a certain point if you've beaten the game once and gotten one of the non-lovely endings you might as well just stop because you've seen all there is worth seeing and it's a big ol' slog until that point.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The sewers were hella annoying, but as a Tremere I just gave myself a quickbind for unlimited bloodpacks to fuel the most hilariously over-the-top murderfest with constant use of Blood Boil to get through it. If this were a later-generation game the sewers would have been literally running red by the end of it all, and I would've looked indistinguishable from my Blood Shield form :unsmigghh:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's been awhile, but if memory serves, the katana is really good against the little head things, since the angle it attacks at it basically covers an arc in front of you and melee hits block forward movement. Just swing as they jump at you- shouldn't take more than a couple of tries to get the timing.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
So is Dark any good? No reviews out yet but RPS was watching it somewhat closely.

Romeo Charlie posted:

I must admit, I've never cheated my way through the sewer level. I just know the level intimately so I breeze through it when I play it now.
Played it with zero blood bags and no surface visits allowed as loving Tremere. At least twice I went into Beast mode and dove on the nearest rat.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

So is Dark any good? No reviews out yet but RPS was watching it somewhat closely.

Played it with zero blood bags and no surface visits allowed as loving Tremere. At least twice I went into Beast mode and dove on the nearest rat.

Dunno, but I just found our about it yesterday and am now kinda curious. Looks like an early game from the current gen, though, if not earlier... janky animations and washed out textures, so... a lot like this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Shumagorath posted:

Don't know but from whatever saw of it I just felt like it was going to be a real poor man's version of this game. Would be really nice to be wrong though.

• Locked thread