Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I caught a couple episodes by chance, and they're definitely doing an excellent job playing Raven for potential comedy. I liked it more than I expected. I knew it was probably good based on all the reviews, but I wasn't sure if I could match the wavelength of a show like that. No problems there! I think I actually like it even better than the original Teen Titans. That show was great, but it was always caught halfway between comedy & serious. Better off choosing one end to focus on and dive in deep like this. (or, on the other side of the spectrum, Batman: TAS)

Also gotta appreciate it for keeping the DCAU alive. :unsmith: (and I won't hear otherwise, don't rain on my parade)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

All I have to say is that if Doom does work with the Red Skull in AA then it's the dumbest thing and I will never watch it. Doom along with being half Romani has enough standards to never work with the dude in the marvel universe that almost everyone hates. He would also never put himself as subordinate or equal to them.

In the comics he gave Red Skull the one use time machine that got reverse engineered and used to do whatever the gently caress it did to Cap. Doctor Doom is nothing if not a hypocrite who'll do whatever benefits him the most at the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Professor Wayne posted:

Been rewatching Justice League since it's all on Netflix now. Just watched the episode where they turn to kids. I had forgotten how much I liked that episode. "I'm gonna make a lawnmower and chew him up!" They should have kept kid Green Lantern instead of old lasers and bubbles Green Lantern.

edit: I was looking at the Flashpoint cast today and noticed that Sam Daly is voicing Superman. He's the son of Tim Daly, who has been the main voice actor of Superman since his 90's animated series. Thought it was neat.

George Newburn voiced Clark/Superman for all 5 seasons of JL/JLU. Pretty sure in the end he was the main voice actor.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
There was one point in the comics where Red Skull was on a villain team with Magneto of all people. Of course, that team up ended pretty much as you'd expect, with Magneto doing his level best to kill Skull as horribly as possible.

I'm pretty sure he's also clashed with Doom and Kingpin at some point. It would be very odd to see him actually lead a super-villain team without some kind of dust up.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WordMercenary posted:

There was one point in the comics where Red Skull was on a villain team with Magneto of all people. Of course, that team up ended pretty much as you'd expect, with Magneto doing his level best to kill Skull as horribly as possible.

I'm pretty sure he's also clashed with Doom and Kingpin at some point. It would be very odd to see him actually lead a super-villain team without some kind of dust up.

Magneto did this and it was awesome

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is that from Acts of Vengeance?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I always found all the Marvel poster-boy villains much more compelling than the DC ones. Doom and Magneto and their suprisingly noble spirits (even though Erik is pretty much a good guy these past, what, 5 years?). Bendis Osbourne and his knowledge of how to work people and mind like a blade. Kingpin and his relentless big-business amorality. Apocalypse and his championing of change and survival above all. Thanos and his self-defeating streak. Even Skull and how one-note he is, just from how horrific his goals are and how unapologetic he is about them. I love what Remender has done with him in UA.

These guys would never team up under a halfway decent writer. It would be fun to see a Dark Illuminati that wasn't terrible though. I could see a scenario where Doom reflects that he needs to go to Magneto for something. Or Namor. That'd make a fun arc or two in some show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hakkesshu posted:

Is that from Acts of Vengeance?

Yes it is. Captain America 367

Doom and Namor team up all the time. Its hilarious trying to figure out who will turn on the other first.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

Nilbop posted:

I always found all the Marvel poster-boy villains much more compelling than the DC ones. Doom and Magneto and their suprisingly noble spirits (even though Erik is pretty much a good guy these past, what, 5 years?). Bendis Osbourne and his knowledge of how to work people and mind like a blade. Kingpin and his relentless big-business amorality. Apocalypse and his championing of change and survival above all. Thanos and his self-defeating streak. Even Skull and how one-note he is, just from how horrific his goals are and how unapologetic he is about them. I love what Remender has done with him in UA.

Oh I think DC have some pretty strong villains too, and while I really love the stuff that's been done with Osborn lately, part of the reason he's so good is because he's essentially become Marvel's Lex Luthor.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Nilbop posted:

These guys would never team up under a halfway decent writer. It would be fun to see a Dark Illuminati that wasn't terrible though. I could see a scenario where Doom reflects that he needs to go to Magneto for something. Or Namor. That'd make a fun arc or two in some show.

Namor was pretty much the closest thing Doom had to a friend a few years ago (he's a member of the FF now right? So I assume he's at least fond of someone there) and he and Loki had a joviality to their rivalry, they try and kill/betray each other but it's a bit halfhearted and since they both expect the other to do that it never works very well.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 1, 2013

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

Namor was pretty much the closest thing Doom had to a friend a few years ago (he's a member of the FF now right? So I assume he's at least fond of someone there) and he and Loki had a joviality to their rivalry, they try and kill/betray each other but it's a bit halfhearted and since they both expect the other to do that it never works very well.

Last I remember he's leading the lobotomized Dooms that the Alternative Richards imprisoned. 99% sure some things happened since then. But he stuck with the FF because he seems to have bonded with Val, and she promised to fix his brain.

And since this is the animation thread, I thought I'd say while I have little hope for Avengers Assemble, I'm hoping they dig into their villain catalog like EMH seemed to be doing. I mean, even the movies seem to be digging deep for guys. A Guardians of the Galaxy movie is nuts enough, but the fact they seem to be reaching for some out-there villains that might barely rate on even a casual nerd's radar is, in my opinion, really cool.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
Doom was also not fond of Dracula's racism when the two allied in Captain Britain and MI:13, and eventually betrayed him:

(Yes they are meeting on Dracula's moonbase. You should totally read MI:13)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Doom hates racism.

Obviously because all humans are equal under Doom. :doom:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

WordMercenary posted:

(Yes they are meeting on Dracula's moonbase. You should totally read MI:13)

Or Dr. McNinja. Well, if all you're interested in is Dracula-controlled moonbases.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
So yea, while it's not particularly stylish, I think I'd prefer a show drawn like the opening to Marvel Heroes than I would Avengers Assemble.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stHZPQQyuJ0

I used to watch Phineas and Ferb with my nephews and this looks stupidly funny. Thor lobbing his hammer and hulk taking a bunny hop got a stupid laugh from me.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess it's time for all those crossovers that people joked about to actually start happening.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hugo Weaving is the Red Skull again.

And I like them wheeling around Iron Man on a hand truck.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Are any of the Marvel shows good to watch as something of an introduction to the more obscure characters/elements of the Marvel universe? One of the things I really enjoyed about JLU and Brave and the Bold was how they touched on a lot of cool B-tier DC characters I probably never would have heard of otherwise, and I'm wondering if there's anything that might scratch a similar itch for Marvel stuff (even if it's not necessarily as good as those shows were since that's admittedly a pretty high bar).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Opposing Farce posted:

Are any of the Marvel shows good to watch as something of an introduction to the more obscure characters/elements of the Marvel universe? One of the things I really enjoyed about JLU and Brave and the Bold was how they touched on a lot of cool B-tier DC characters I probably never would have heard of otherwise, and I'm wondering if there's anything that might scratch a similar itch for Marvel stuff (even if it's not necessarily as good as those shows were since that's admittedly a pretty high bar).

EMH has a lot of B and C-level villains running around, with a few cameos from also-ran heroes like the Guardians of the Galaxy and Beta Ray Bill. The Beta Ray Bill stuff is actually one of the stronger parts of the second season.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Opposing Farce posted:

EMH fits the bill. It's definitely weaker than JLU, especially in its characterization of Tony Stark, but it's easily the best primer for the Marvel Universe in animated form around. The early season one arc involving the four major supervillain prisons--all canon references to prisons from the comics--is a goldmine.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

In addition to EMH you could also play the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance. That game has so many obscure references it's insane.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

For anyone interested, Amazon has Season 1 of Spectacular Spider-Man available for $10 and eligible for Prime shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Spectacul...cular+spiderman

Most Spider-Man shows don't go too deep in terms of villains and how obscure they are (he has so many big villains in his universe it is hard to tell all their stories and THEN move on to the C-listers), and some of the shows have a habit of using quite a few non-Spidey villains in Spider-Man's shows.

But Spectacular has several fairly obscure characters show up, mostly as Peter's classmates. Sally Avril was from the Untold Tales of Spider-Man era, which told stories that happened "between" issues of the Lee/Kirby/Ditko days. Hobie Brown, who becomes the Prowler in the comics, is a football player. Deb Whitman is Miles Warren's lab assistant. Some Bugle staffers in the series haven't been in the comics in several years, such as Ned Lee (in comics, actually Ned Leeds) and Frederic Foswell. Sha Shan, Flash Thompson's love interest after he came back from Vietnam, is a classmate that Flash has a crush on.

One of the best things about this show for Spider-Man fans is that the producers decided they didn't want original characters. Everyone was either going to be from a comic or from some other media adaptation of the comics. So you get this odd blend of characters not just from different 616 eras, but from Ultimate and the Raimi movies as well. And it just works wonders.

A lot of potential villains show up but never become villains. And in a couple cases, like Hobie Brown, they're just turned into kids. Morie Bench (Hydro Man), Cletus Cassidy (Carnage), Miles Warren (Jackal), Roderick Kingsley (Hobgoblin) all appeared for an episode or two.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Basically, Spectacular Spider-Man is great and it is a horrible shame it got cancelled for that new series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Basically, Spectacular Spider-Man is great and it is a horrible shame it got cancelled for that new series.

That's not why it was canceled.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The list of grave sins that Ultimate Spider-Man commits, including having the same name as an actually good piece of fiction, are so numerous that people can be forgiven for thinking it killed off the only good Spidey cartoon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This weeks Teen Titans Go was pretty crappy. Mostly because all of the Titans were completely out of character, with Beast Boy being a complete rear end in a top hat for absolutely no reason throughout the episode.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
The rarest of news in the Comic Book Animation thread, a show getting renewed.

http://www.seat42f.com/cartoon-network-renews-teen-titans-go.html

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Trailer for the new Batman show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j0z0250qZcA

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is there really a Batman villain based on Mr. Toad? What the gently caress.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Read Morrison's Batman & Robin.

That was Moon Knight he was fighting, right?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 19, 2013

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Believe its supposed to be Anarky.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

redbackground posted:

Read Morrison's Batman.

That was Moon Knight he was fighting, right?

Villains in order of appearance were Magpie, Anarky, Mr Toad and Professor Pyg.

Hakkesshu posted:

In the comics were he was killed off pretty quickly he was a lackey of Pyg.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Video quality aside that is one really, really ugly looking show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah, simplistic design worked on Green Lantern since it was all outerspace stuff but when you start doing that on Earth it just looks cheap. Also that first lady villain's costume is a little "hooker"-y for a Saturday morning cartoon show.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I really hate the trend of these CGI series. I couldn't watch GL because of it. Doubt I'll bother with this either. So ugly.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

deong posted:

I really hate the trend of these CGI series. I couldn't watch GL because of it. Doubt I'll bother with this either. So ugly.

The character models are weirdly stylized and the animation looks really stiff and lame in the way that most CGI TV cartoons do, but man, they're great compared to the terrible backgrounds. At this point 2D shows are all animated with computers anyway so are these ugly CG models really that much cheaper?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Opposing Farce posted:

The character models are weirdly stylized and the animation looks really stiff and lame in the way that most CGI TV cartoons do, but man, they're great compared to the terrible backgrounds. At this point 2D shows are all animated with computers anyway so are these ugly CG models really that much cheaper?

That's a bit of an overstatement regarding 2D chows being "animated with computers". Complete CG shows have definite benefits over drawn shows in the cost department.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hakkesshu posted:

In addition to EMH you could also play the first Marvel Ultimate Alliance. That game has so many obscure references it's insane.
And the special dialogue between specific characters was fun, mostly involving Deadpool talking to people. In retrospect I'm surprised they used Weasel in the game, aren't there more famous hackers in the Marvel Universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

If this was 2001 I'd say the CG is pretty impressive, if not nearly as good-looking as traditional animation. Now, though, it's just hideous.

deong posted:

It's hideous, but I'll take it over really bad flash animation.

achillesforever6 posted:

And the special dialogue between specific characters was fun, mostly involving Deadpool talking to people. In retrospect I'm surprised they used Weasel in the game, aren't there more famous hackers in the Marvel Universe?

There's an amazing amount of odd choices in that game. If you had access to the entire Marvel universe to make a relatively short game, would you put Arcade and Ymir in?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 19, 2013

• Locked thread