Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Guys, obviously he pours his beer into the pool, then pitches yeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

internet celebrity posted:

Maybe he uses his pool water in a counterflow/plate chiller or something?

I'm skeptical his pool water is 65 degrees though. Its like 75-80 every day and 60 at night.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

He's probably running it through a pre-chiller or recirculating it through a big rear end bucket of ice with a pump.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Docjowles posted:

He's probably running it through a pre-chiller or recirculating it through a big rear end bucket of ice with a pump.

Prechillers are a waste of money in my opinion. They don't seem to lower the incoming temperature enough to make a tremendous difference. You can just use that money to buy a submersible pond pump and run straight up ice water through the coils, really.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm skeptical his pool water is 65 degrees though. Its like 75-80 every day and 60 at night.

His pool is one big saison. Actually that would be amazing. New life goal found.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

zedprime posted:

His pool is one big saison. Actually that would be amazing. New life goal found.

I can only imagine how fast your neighbors would call a health inspector when the Biggest, Nastiest, Most Awesome Pellicle forms on it from all the wild yeast, pollen, and bacteria.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

zedprime posted:

This is pretty much exactly how I envision fullroundaction's back yard.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah that's a load of horseshit unless you/he live in OB or somewhere right on the coast. Even without a solar cover on our pool it got up to 70° in early May.

That said, I have kinda used my pool water to cool my beer before. Basic pond pump sending water through the IC, then back out into the pool, and when it gets closer to 70° I'll take the pump & return line out of the pool and into a 5-gal of ice water to get it down those last 10-15°. I used far too much ice in trying to use ice water to get it down incredibly fast from flameout - later learned having water that's consistently slightly below the temp of the wort is the fastest way to reduce it to pitching temps.

I think the fastest I've ever walked down a pot of wort is 30 minutes, and that's with semi-constant stirring as I stir for a few minutes straight then clean up for a few minutes, check the temp, stir, repeat. The jerks out there who don't have a plate chiller and get from 212 > 70 in nine minutes can kiss my rear end.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

wattershed posted:

later learned having water that's consistently slightly below the temp of the wort is the fastest way to reduce it to pitching temps.

This isn't true, the coldest water possible will chill your wort the quickest. That's just the laws of physics.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

wattershed posted:

Yeah that's a load of horseshit unless you/he live in OB or somewhere right on the coast. Even without a solar cover on our pool it got up to 70° in early May.

That said, I have kinda used my pool water to cool my beer before. Basic pond pump sending water through the IC, then back out into the pool, and when it gets closer to 70° I'll take the pump & return line out of the pool and into a 5-gal of ice water to get it down those last 10-15°. I used far too much ice in trying to use ice water to get it down incredibly fast from flameout - later learned having water that's consistently slightly below the temp of the wort is the fastest way to reduce it to pitching temps.

I think the fastest I've ever walked down a pot of wort is 30 minutes, and that's with semi-constant stirring as I stir for a few minutes straight then clean up for a few minutes, check the temp, stir, repeat. The jerks out there who don't have a plate chiller and get from 212 > 70 in nine minutes can kiss my rear end.

Chilling is definitely next on my list of stuff I'm going to be investing in :homebrew: I'm just not happy with it right now. I could theoretically move to a counterflow, but I don't think that's the direction I want. I'm thinking I'm going to try something along the lines of Jamil Zainasheff's recirculation chiller to batch chill the whole enchilada as fast as I can. My original plan involved a second homebrew pump (a Chugger or something) since I could double use it, but I'd be open to a suggestion for a good pond pump for the same purpose.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

baquerd posted:

This isn't true, the coldest water possible will chill your wort the quickest. That's just the laws of physics.

This is why I pump liquid nitrogen through an immersion chiller.

On a side note: anyone have any ideas for getting a 5 gallon wortsicle off an immersion chiller? :ohdear:

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

baquerd posted:

Well then it's just not efficient for me to use my ice up that fast. Also, I know cold running water is the fastest way to unthaw a chicken breast...perhaps REALLY cold running water is even faster!

Bad Munki posted:

On a side note: anyone have any ideas for getting a 5 gallon wortsicle off an immersion chiller? :ohdear:

I'm sorry, what?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wattershed posted:

Well then it's just not efficient for me to use my ice up that fast. Also, I know cold running water is the fastest way to unthaw a chicken breast...perhaps REALLY cold running water is even faster!

Not efficient, sure, just because you'll go through a lot of ice, and if you're, say, buying your ice, that's money. As for your chicken breast, no, wrong again. Warm water will thaw it faster. It's just that if that water is too warm, it'll partially cook the chicken as well.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Not efficient, sure, just because you'll go through a lot of ice, and if you're, say, buying your ice, that's money. As for your chicken breast, no, wrong again. Warm water will thaw it faster. It's just that if that water is too warm, it'll partially cook the chicken as well.

Then Alton Brown's a fuckin liar!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Or is just simplifying things for the plebs to get it done without cocking it up too much?

Seriously, this is just basic thermodynamics.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

wattershed posted:

I'm sorry, what?

My guess is that if you're redirecting the flow back into the ice bucket its melting the ice faster and bringing the overall temperature of your cold pump water up so it appears not to efficiently chill to the target temp.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Docjowles posted:

This is pretty much exactly how I envision fullroundaction's back yard.

Kind of. I have used a kiddie pool as a swamp cooler, if that helps maintain your fantasy :allears:

Unrelated: we've got 3 competitions coming up soon and all 6 of my carboys are in use. Half of them are only 3 gallon batches though. Sometimes at night I just sit in my brewroom for hours and stare at the schmutz moving around in them.

I think I'm going crazy.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.
I have a 50' copper immersion chiller and I can get a 4 gallon boil down to pitching temperature in about 6 minutes, so I don't know why everyone is so skeptical about this other guy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You know, I never really noticed that the blowoff container on the end of a blowoff hose was full of yeast. I suppose you could harvest that if you had it set up in a sanitary manner, right? (meaning, run the hose into one end of a carboy cap attached to the catch jar and a airlock on the other end of the cap so the container doesn't blow up)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

You know, I never really noticed that the blowoff container on the end of a blowoff hose was full of yeast. I suppose you could harvest that if you had it set up in a sanitary manner, right? (meaning, run the hose into one end of a carboy cap attached to the catch jar and a airlock on the other end of the cap so the container doesn't blow up)
Sure. Be aware you strongly selecting for yeast that make tons of krausen and will end up with a yeast that blows off even harder. Evolution is cool.

Cointelprofessional posted:

I have a 50' copper immersion chiller and I can get a 4 gallon boil down to pitching temperature in about 6 minutes, so I don't know why everyone is so skeptical about this other guy.
Depends on the local climate. If you are blessed to live somewhere where you can take warm showers solely with the cold tap during the summer you aren't even hitting pitching temp without ice or the fridge involved.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

zedprime posted:

Sure. Be aware you strongly selecting for yeast that make tons of krausen and will end up with a yeast that blows off even harder. Evolution is cool.
Depends on the local climate. If you are blessed to live somewhere where you can take warm showers solely with the cold tap during the summer you aren't even hitting pitching temp without ice or the fridge involved.

So what you're saying is if I do this for 10 generations of WLP300 my house will explode.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess is that if you're redirecting the flow back into the ice bucket its melting the ice faster and bringing the overall temperature of your cold pump water up so it appears not to efficiently chill to the target temp.

This is why you use regular tap water in the immersion chiller to get 90% of the way to your target temperature, then switch to the ice bucket sump pump to bring it down the rest of the way.

I have a sour beer that's been aging for about eight months now, and I gave my boyfriend a taste of it the other day. His assessment: "It's like you ate a bushel of lemons and peed in my mouth." I think that means it's coming along nicely! :haw:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Angry Grimace posted:

So what you're saying is if I do this for 10 generations of WLP300 my house will explode.

I have 11th generation west coast ale yeast that learned how to play the piano (not very well though).

Joking aside, I have noticed a huge difference in first generation (from the package) to 5+. Mainly attenuation and fermentation time, not really a flavor thing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

I have 11th generation west coast ale yeast that learned how to play the piano (not very well though).

Joking aside, I have noticed a huge difference in first generation (from the package) to 5+. Mainly attenuation and fermentation time, not really a flavor thing.

I looked into it and the thing I was suggesting is basically just lazy person top cropping and a bunch of people do it. They said its the "healthiest" yeast collected that way. I don't know if that's bullshit or not.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Just stopping by to say there is no good way to chill wort. It's simply about finding which way is the least lovely for your particular situation.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Home Brewing Thread III: I don't know if that's bullshit or not.

tonedef131 posted:

Just stopping by to say there is no good way to chill wort. It's simply about finding which way gets the least amount of hose water in your kettle

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Angry Grimace posted:

I looked into it and the thing I was suggesting is basically just lazy person top cropping and a bunch of people do it. They said its the "healthiest" yeast collected that way. I don't know if that's bullshit or not.
That's what I meant by selecting for the krausen-est yeast. I guess if you gauge health by quick starting and quick finishing its healthy? But I think you also start getting a lot of esters and everything you'd expect out of fermentations that last minutes and at a certain point even the English threw their hands up and said oh god we are making rocket fuel and started tempering their top cropped yeast with sediment.

Also the beer will never clear because the yeast will have all but evolved propellers. This is still evident in a lot of the English strains you can buy.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I asked previously but it got lost in the deluge:

I didn't take a hydro reading before my pitch because I didn't have a jar. I have one now, so should I be taking readings at the end of my 2nd fermentation week? Without the first reading will it mean anything, or am I just looking for back to back days of the same gravity?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Look for stability and maybe for general sweetness. You may have an idea if you're expecting something like 1.020 vs 1.010. Stability is generally the indicator of being finished, but sometimes if it's too sweet you can swirl and/or warm it a bit to dry it out (or in drastic cases add yeast or fermentables)

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
I just made an easy extract patersbier recipe (inspired by the NB kit) and had to dip into the dog's emergency simethicone supply (Bloodhound/GSD mix, every meal he inhales scares me) as I was out of Fermcap and poo poo was boiling TOTALLY OVER while I was running around making my kids smell the hops. People say I'm a good cook but gently caress cooking food I only love brewing.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 31, 2019

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
This might be better asked in LAN but I've just moved to the Bay area . . . any Bay area goons with a garage want a brew buddy? My apartment is too small for homebrewing, especially since the whole thing is carpeted. I've got some equipment and I'm looking to :homebrew: some more but I need space.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I did a cream ale this weekend. According to brewersfriend, my conversion efficiency was 109%.

Here's the grain bill:

9 lb American - Pale 6-Row
1 lb Flaked Corn
4 oz American - Carapils

Mashed w/ a total of 28 qts of water (single infusion and sparge), mash was 1.5qt/lb, resulting gravity was 1.052. How did this come out to over 100%? Did the lady at the brew shop put in too much grain?

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I think one of your input variables must be off. For a 5 gallon batch with that recipe I'm getting 1.073 @ 100%. If you ended up with 1.052 your efficiency would have been about 71%, which is normal.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

immortalyawn posted:

Hello all.

So, Im pretty new to this and have been messing around with these brew recipe makers online.
I still have a LOT to learn, obviously, but thought I would ask.

If I purchased the ingredients and made this in real life, would it be acceptable to drink at all - Its purely based on my currently basic understanding + guesswork, and whats available at a local brew shop.

code:
    Type Extract
    Efficiency N/A
    Batch size 23.0 L
    Boil time 60 min

(Boil size approx 15 L, Top up size approx 10 L)

Fermentables
Name                	Amount 	        Use 	PPG
Golden Light LME 	2.0 kg 50 % 	Boil 	37
Pilsen Light LME 	2.0 kg 50 % 	Boil 	37

Hops
Name 	                Amount 	Time 	Use 	Form 	AA
Citra United States 	30.0 g 	30 min 	Boil 	Pellet 	12.0%
Amarillo United States 	30.0 g 	5 min 	Boil 	Pellet 	9.5%

Yeasts
Name 	                            Lab 	Attenuation 	Temp
Nottingham Ale Yeast WLP039 	White Labs 	77.5% 	66°F – 70°F

Extras
Name 	        Amount 	Time 	        Use
Lime Zest 	50.0 g 	24.0 hr 	Secondary

1.054 OG
1.012 FG
30 IBU
5.5% ABV
4 SRM
0.56 IBU/OG 

The boiling 15 L with the malt+hops and topping up with 10 L more seems wrong, but as I was just messing with the calculator and different stuff I couldnt seem to find a way not to make it show as VERY BITTER. But then I thought wouldnt this help bring down the temp before adding yeast?

Weak and bitter tasting? Not enough malt? or just a plain NO?

This is a great thread by the way, I'm about 25% through reading it, as well as a few books on the subject. I wont actually be trying to brew anything myself for quite a while yet.

EDIT - Also, How good/accurate are these recipe creators? (i used the one on BrewToad to make the "thing" above)

I think that would be fine (but I've never used lime zest so no idea on that), though I replicated it on brewtoad and only got "bitter", not "very bitter". Don't worry too much about whether brewtoad thinks your recipe is balanced. Make sure your fermenter is big enough for that batch though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Myron Baloney posted:

I just made an easy extract patersbier recipe (inspired by the NB kit) and had to dip into the dog's emergency simethicone supply (Bloodhound/GSD mix, every meal he inhales scares me) as I was out of Fermcap and poo poo was boiling TOTALLY OVER while I was running around making my kids smell the hops. People say I'm a good cook but gently caress cooking food I only love brewing.

Simethicone is essentially the same as Fermcap? Mind: blown

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

bewbies posted:

According to brewersfriend, my conversion efficiency was 109%.

This is not the first time I have seen this sort of thing. I don't know what recipe calculator the other guy was using, but if it was brewersfriend, I have to speculate that BF means something else by that number. 109% of projected extract, maybe, based on an efficiency of 70%? That lines up pretty close with a target gravity of 1.050 and a measured OG of 1.052.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jo3sh posted:

This is not the first time I have seen this sort of thing. I don't know what recipe calculator the other guy was using, but if it was brewersfriend, I have to speculate that BF means something else by that number. 109% of projected extract, maybe, based on an efficiency of 70%? That lines up pretty close with a target gravity of 1.050 and a measured OG of 1.052.

They define it as "Conversion Efficiency: The percentage of total available sugars that were extracted from the grains inside the mash tun".

I use what they call "option B" for calculating:

Measurement Option B - blend of runnings:
◦Gravity - sample taken before the boil, blend of all runnings.
◦Volume - how much water went into the MLT, counting strike and sparge water.
◦Note: With Option B, the wort sample must be fully blended from all the runnings to be accurate. First runnings have a higher gravity than second runnings.
◦Works for batch sparge. Works for BIAB and partial mash (MLT and kettle are the same). Does NOT make sense for fly sparge.

I batch sparge and usually calculate efficiency for 65%, my usual brewhouse efficiency is between 60 and 70%. Usually my conversion efficiency is between 95 and 100, which is another reason why this was weird.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

bewbies posted:

They define it as "Conversion Efficiency: The percentage of total available sugars that were extracted from the grains inside the mash tun".

[...]

I batch sparge and usually calculate efficiency for 65%, my usual brewhouse efficiency is between 60 and 70%. Usually my conversion efficiency is between 95 and 100, which is another reason why this was weird.

It really sounds to me like they are using "conversion efficiency" to mean "how close did you come to your expected brewhouse efficiency," and "total available sugars" means the amount of sugar you would expect to get at a particular brewhouse efficiency.

I think it's unnecessary and confusing to have both numbers. There's no need for the "conversion efficiency", and if it were me, I'd just ignore that line - brewhouse efficiency is the number that is actually meaningful in discussion, IMO.

I guess you could use their "conversion efficiency" as a fast way to figure out your brewhouse efficiency. Say you built a recipe assuming 70% brewhouse efficiency and OG 1.050. You take a gravity reading as you go to fermenters and you plug that reading into the program. It tells you your conversion efficiency is 110%. 110% of 70 is 77, so you got an actual brewhouse efficiency of 77% that day, and you can adjust your recipe for next time.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jo3sh posted:

The way the numbers are working out and by calling it "conversion" I think that's the most useful way of explaining it. Sounds useless compared to mash efficiency (which it is probably assuming to be something which makes it stranger form of this) and brew house efficiency.

In the end efficiency is just something to help you understand your rig and what grain you need to do something and the end game is just throwing grain at your rig and knowing what will come out, whether you know it from efficiency, rules of thumb, or magic.

If you've been using the measure a while you probably know more about what 109% conversion efficiency than we do. The mash troubleshooting gold standard is really mash efficiency.