Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Squashy Nipples posted:

Next we have these things:

I don't think they are Lego pieces, but maybe I'm wrong? Can you goons help me out?

The Technic face visor, blue wing, white police windshield piece, and lion face brick are all Lego pieces. As for the accessories I'm pretty sure the feathers, cups, and dynamite are also Lego pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I don't think they are Lego pieces, but maybe I'm wrong? Can you goons help me out?

I think the red curly feather is from a knights helmet, probably from whatever set included the black dragon. The yellow goblet is likely from the same set, and the red cup next to the feather looks like Lego too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Squashy Nipples posted:

I finally sorted all of that Lego I bought at the yard sale... A surprising amount of Tyco crap to weed out. Since the giant baseplate is in excellent condition, I was all excited to rebuild the temple in it's original form, but sadly, it would seem many of the pieces are missing. These were well loved, but not well cared for Lego.

Since we are having mini-fig chat, here is the entire haul of minifigs and accessories (click for huge):

I have NO clue if these are assembled correctly, since I'm unfamiliar with this era of sets, and I don't really collect mini-figs anyway.

That ax is definitely not Lego, neither is that orange traffic cone or those huge black knife things. There's what looks like a red helmet next to the goblet that isn't Lego, likewise the dynamite next to the helmet isn't lego either. I dont know what that brown thing is but I don't think it's Lego, nor is the little silver hammer (?) underneath it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think that none of the silver or black bits are lego. The white blocks are too washed out to really identify, and the wing is from the Insectoids theme, which I had totally forgotten about up until this point. The big brown thing looks like a toy missile.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I finally sorted all of that Lego I bought at the yard sale... A surprising amount of Tyco crap to weed out. Since the giant baseplate is in excellent condition, I was all excited to rebuild the temple in it's original form, but sadly, it would seem many of the pieces are missing. These were well loved, but not well cared for Lego.

Since we are having mini-fig chat, here is the entire haul of minifigs and accessories (click for huge):

I love that I can identify nearly every single one of these guys, even though they're all mixed up. I even recognize that dumb Hydronaut suction gun.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Squashy Nipples posted:

The white brackets along the top left are Construx pieces. The white lion-faced thing in the top-right is a Brick, Modified 2 x 3 x 3 with Cutout and Lion Head. The yellow cup in the bottom-center is a LEGO accessory. Not sure about anything else.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

The yellow piece at the top center of the picture should be Lego. It's a chest cover piece for minifigs. I've got a couple of them in yellow and grey.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

The lower-right white piece with the police symbol is definitely lego. It looks like one of those cockpit glass pieces that are normally translucent, but that one isn't for whatever reason.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Segmentation Fault posted:

The lower-right white piece with the police symbol is definitely lego. It looks like one of those cockpit glass pieces that are normally translucent, but that one isn't for whatever reason.

Bit of research on BrickLink reveals it is probably from this set.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The blue wing definitely is, as are the golden goblet, red feather above it (from a knight's helmet, for example), red cup, blue indian feathers, police thing and the lion piece. Some of the others I'm not sure about.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Here's a quick way to sort Lego from Non-Lego:

Is the plastic poo poo? If yes, it's not Lego. Using this as a litmus test, we can successfully eliminate a good portion of the non-Lego pieces.

There's still a few leftover, but it is a good starting point. You can probably eliminate a few more yourself since you can feel the texture and the quality of the pieces yourself.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Oddly enough I can tell you that the big knife and scissors-thing are from a bigass Wolverine action figure that had tons of slots on the arms and legs for them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Thanks for all the help, folks!!!

Well Manicured Man posted:

The Technic face visor, blue wing, white police windshield piece, and lion face brick are all Lego pieces. As for the accessories I'm pretty sure the feathers, cups, and dynamite are also Lego pieces.

First response, best response; right on everything but the dynamite. Scale is wrong, and plastic density is light.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I love that I can identify nearly every single one of these guys, even though they're all mixed up. I even recognize that dumb Hydronaut suction gun.

Can you name the series and/or sets for me? Please?

anthraciteDragon posted:

The white brackets along the top left are Construx pieces.

Nice! I had no idea what those things were.

anthraciteDragon posted:

Bit of research on BrickLink reveals it is probably from this set.

Good find! I was quite certain that this wasn't Lego, no markings, and the screen printing seems cheap.

Network42 posted:

Oddly enough I can tell you that the big knife and scissors-thing are from a bigass Wolverine action figure that had tons of slots on the arms and legs for them.

I knew the scale was wrong on those things for mini-figs, but I know very little about the Bioncle and Galaga lines, so I thought they might be.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Squashy Nipples posted:

Can you name the series and/or sets for me? Please?

The suction gun is from Stingrays

e: specifically the aquabase dudes. Stingrays just grabbed crystals with their claws like loving savages. Aquabase put them in nice boxes and picked them up with suction cups.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 10, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sockser posted:

Holy poo poo! I've never seen those before! That stingray looks fantastic!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The_Doctor posted:

Yep, went to Brickset and added them all to my Want list. Maybe I'll remember them, even if I never see them in the wild. I don't think I've ever seen the other Aquazone sets from dealers and stuff.

Again, eBay is probably a better place to look anyway.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The_Doctor posted:

I had a few of them and I'll just go out and say that the stingray sets kinda suck and are put together really weird.

It's all about the Aquaraiders (not Aqua Raiders) and Hydronauts, man

e:
or Insectoids, while we're at it:

Motherfuckin' magnetic stickers

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Sockser posted:

e: specifically the aquabase dudes. Stingrays just grabbed crystals with their claws like loving savages. Aquabase put them in nice boxes and picked them up with suction cups.

I think I had the Stingray Crab. I wanted the Lobster and 8+ so badly.

Augh, now I want all the Hydronauts, Aquanauts, Aquasharks, and Stingray sets. I didn't have enough of them as a child. I think I had the smaller Aquasharks shark submarine, but not the bigger one.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sockser posted:

Like I said, the Hydronauts. They were the Stingrays' rivals.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Looks like I've got the Stingray Lobster (or most of it, anyway). Thanks again.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Hydronauts and Stingrays were a pale imitation of the Aquanauts and Aquasharks.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

The_Doctor posted:

I picked one up on ebay a while ago for like $30 shipped (not in box obviously).

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I think I'm in love.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerac/8985367460/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Holy crap that's just about the cleanest lego spaceship I've ever seen.

Really admire how they avoided cramming detail everywhere.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

So this just popped up on my local Craigslist.

http://albany.craigslist.org/tag/3856016697.html

I'm kinda interested but I have a feeling it's waaaayy out of my price range. I don't even know what a reasonable offer would be for this.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

DrChud posted:

I'm kinda interested but I have a feeling it's waaaayy out of my price range. I don't even know what a reasonable offer would be for this.

I think that monorail set alone could be $500, so... I would imagine a reasonable offer would be around $1,000 for all of it, though I'm sure there are many that would be willing to pay more.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

DrChud posted:

I learned while trying to buy lego off kijiji(canada craigslist) that if they didn't put up a price it will be fairly high and after a few months I stopped bothering with unlisted prices/best offer.

quote:

Great way to make some serious money breaking down these sets & pieces
This right here tells me that even if you wanted half of it, you would be better off just buying the individual sets/parts you don't have any interest in are going to end up putting it out of your range.

Just fire off a email ask them what they would consider a non insulting/reasonable offer. It will probably be fairly high as the listing suggests they know its worth a fair bit but just don't want to go to the effort themselves.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think he's overstating how far back the collection goes as well. I'm not seeing vast tubs of blue or grey that would indicate a bunch of the 80's space or castle sets.. though the minifig tub clearly has some entrants from those eras.

I'd certainly want to visit the collection in person before offering money.. but maybe I'm just weird as I don't appreciate the stuff made since 1995 nearly as much.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It looks to me like he was a reseller that realized the LEGO pot o' gold may not be as deep as he was hoping. That's a seriously large number of boxed chase sets. Or at least, seems like it to me.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Squashy Nipples posted:

The dynamite is Playmobil, as are possibly a few other of the random elements.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

rickiep00h posted:

It looks to me like he was a reseller that realized the LEGO pot o' gold may not be as deep as he was hoping. That's a seriously large number of boxed chase sets. Or at least, seems like it to me.

My guess is that it's a collector who died suddenly and his family doesn't know what to do with it all. They know it's worth money, but no idea exactly how much. They probably think it's worth more than it is, because whoever died probably talked it up a lot -- "I've got $10,000 in LEGO right here and it's still appreciating!"

It just seems odd for someone to get out so quickly after obviously being seriously involved in MOC's. The pictures are kind of odd too, and not exactly the ones a LEGO collector would want to see or post -- but exactly the kind that someone who inherited it would.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Sorting out the 3152 bricks in 10221-1: Super Star Destroyer :negative:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Can anyone tell me where these dudes and this weird ball socket come from?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Sloppy posted:

Can anyone tell me where these dudes and this weird ball socket come from?

The dudes are from one of these Bionicle sets.

The ball and socket in that combination of colors are probably from this set.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
I have the ball and socket from 7051 Tripod Invader

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7051-1

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
These female minifigure sets got 10k votes on Couscous in only a couple months

Looks pretty good, and I like it as an alternative to Friends. Should have a decent chance since it's not one of those wild concepts that ignores that Lego isn't likely to make new parts just for a crowdsourced set.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

anthraciteDragon posted:

The dudes are from one of these Bionicle sets.

The ball and socket in that combination of colors are probably from this set.

Sweet, thanks! I definitely remember seeing a bunch of other parts from that Star Wars set. Holy crap, it's valuable :monocle:. I'd guess most of it is here, but I never have the right pieces to fix up missing parts from Star Wars sets, too many weird colors. Here's hoping. On the other hand this lot had the most chewed Lego block I've ever seen in my life, the poor brick was wadded up like a piece of gum.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think the Alien Conquest tripod has one too. Not a common piece.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

Looks pretty good, and I like it as an alternative to Friends. Should have a decent chance since it's not one of those wild concepts that ignores that Lego isn't likely to make new parts just for a crowdsourced set.

Those look amazing, I'd love to have the palentologist/astronomer/robotics engineer, the zookeeper's tiger is pretty sweet as well.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Saint Sputnik posted:

These female minifigure sets got 10k votes on Couscous in only a couple months

This is pretty awesome, would buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

InfinEight posted:

I think that monorail set alone could be $500, so... I would imagine a reasonable offer would be around $1,000 for all of it, though I'm sure there are many that would be willing to pay more.

A thousand bucks for 400lbs of Lego, including boxed old sets? That's the very definition of lowball. If it was 400lbs of straight mixed 100% Lego, going rate could easily vary between $2000-4000, depending on how desperate the seller is and how revealing the pictures are. Only a completely ignorant seller would put that much Lego up and not have an inkling of its value, and would have listed some ridiculously low price and it would've been snapped up within an hour. I'd imagine that seller would only consider offers over $3000, and has probably rejected plenty of resellers lowballing them already.