Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Knightmare posted:

...that can happen? Kind of sucks for you but that's awesome. Mine was mercy killed right away.

Yeah, it didn't happen when the game was off, I was elsewhere on the map and got the message that he was sick with whatever the disease is called, thought I would leave it because it seems like most of the time stuff isn't time sensitive and got back to find a whole bunch of dead dudes. It says in the journal something like 'succumbed to the preacher'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is there any way to keep the Judge and Sheriff alive? They both died in my game.

Also, man, scavenging in houses is loving hard. There's just so much to go through and its so dangerous to get through.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Is there any way to keep the Judge and Sheriff alive? They both died in my game.

Also, man, scavenging in houses is loving hard. There's just so much to go through and its so dangerous to get through.

People apparently kept them alive by responding to the mission quickly and specifically looking for them and guarding them. It's supposed to be really hard I think.

Skoots
Sep 6, 2006
Has anyone gotten the fair grounds one is it bigger the the trucking place?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I loaded up my game today and it seems to have forgotten the last several hours of progress I made yesterday. I moved the base to a new location yesterday and set up a new outpost, and now I'm back at the old base again.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Marcus, the pony thing? Getting kind of creepy now. Drop the joke. :byodood:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

After Marcus died in my game Ed started saying it.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Jonny Retro posted:

After Marcus died in my game Ed started saying it.

Marcus and Ed are both dead in my game and now Maya is saying it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

This is really front-loaded though, once you get farther into the game it'll only happen once in a blue moon.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Two of my survivors just got into a screaming match over whether or not the band Foghat sucks. :allears:

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.
I just started out, but after the 'check cabins' mission I haven't had anything to do. I've been loading up the supply closet and searching the tents and the surrounding buildings (the truck doesn't have a key. :( ) and still nothing more offered to me. So I logged out last night and am wondering if the game will progress.

Am I doing something wrong?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jonny Retro posted:

Two of my survivors just got into a screaming match over whether or not the band Foghat sucks. :allears:

Obviously your only way to solve it is to mercy kill the person who thinks they suck, while shouting SLOOOW RIIIIDE in their face.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

50 Foot Ant posted:

I just started out, but after the 'check cabins' mission I haven't had anything to do. I've been loading up the supply closet and searching the tents and the surrounding buildings (the truck doesn't have a key. :( ) and still nothing more offered to me. So I logged out last night and am wondering if the game will progress.

Am I doing something wrong?

Try going near the river and listen for gunshots.

NaDy posted:

Obviously your only way to solve it is to mercy kill the person who thinks they suck, while shouting SLOOOW RIIIIDE in their face.

It's clearly the only option.

edit: \/\/\/ :aaaaa:

Edit 2: Oh my god. You've been posting in this thread for days, and I just noticed.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 11, 2013

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Party Plane Jones posted:

This is really front-loaded though, once you get farther into the game it'll only happen once in a blue moon.

You know, I swear I set that line up to only play, like, 1% of the time. No idea why it's coming up so often for people.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

GimpInBlack posted:

You know, I swear I set that line up to only play, like, 1% of the time. No idea why it's coming up so often for people.

Yeah no, it plays more than the more normal lines. EVERYONE says it. Either lilly is traumatized by now or everyone is a secret brony. (Yes, even the women)

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
It doesn't play all that often actually, it's just the only line that's all that noticeable. I couldn't tell you what they say for the other lines because they are so forgettable but I always notice when the runner decides to be a dick to the traumatized radio girl.

I gotta say I can't believe it's taken until now for a zombie game to have a button command dedicated to screaming "gently caress you!" at the zombies. If Co-Op ever does wind up getting patched in I will be the worst survivor buddy ever because that's all I will be able to do 24/7.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Played for a few hours and having fun, only two complaints I can think of, one minor the other major.

The minor issue is how lovely the events tab UI is, it's such a mess that I don't even bother checking anymore and just keep track of what's going on from the scrolling text as it appears. The UI in general is kind of shabby.

The major issue, however, is zombies insta-spawning in clear areas.

I ducked into an empty house in the middle of nowhere and double-checked to make sure all the fields and surrounding area was clear. The exact moment I start exploring the house I hear a bunch of moans and zombies are crawling everywhere outside. It felt incredibly artificial and all it did was just force me to pack up and drive to another house. I hope they can do something about that.

I also find hordes spawn too much but I've heard a patch is incoming to fix that and cars make killing hordes moot anyway.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Red Mundus posted:

I also find hordes spawn too much but I've heard a patch is incoming to fix that and cars make killing hordes moot anyway.

Yeah, that's why the car fix bug was annoying to me. When I first started playing I'd easily ram through hordes with my car while singing "SLOW RIDE" (Cause that's what you do) but after dozens and dozens of hordes all the cars in my town were left smoking and on fire, making it hard to find a clean car to run the hordes over with.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
The unbreakable fences, barely visible rocks and brush obscuring terrain changes are the main car killers for me.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Anyone have any success with moving to the Residence in the first town near the Church? The construction site wasn't a infestation yet when I went there to get materials to start building improvements, there was like 30 zombies in there and almost overran me.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Korlac posted:

Yeah, that's why the car fix bug was annoying to me. When I first started playing I'd easily ram through hordes with my car while singing "SLOW RIDE" (Cause that's what you do) but after dozens and dozens of hordes all the cars in my town were left smoking and on fire, making it hard to find a clean car to run the hordes over with.

The fact that there's no music in any of the cars is criminal. Even a really small playlist would be amazing for mowing down zombies with.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Party Plane Jones posted:

The fact that there's no music in any of the cars is criminal. Even a really small playlist would be amazing for mowing down zombies with.

Agreed, but I understand why they don't have any. They're a small start-up production company and probably couldn't afford to license any. HOWEVER, I fully expect State of Decay 2 (With how well this one is selling, you know they'll do another one) to have full tracks in the cars.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I was just trading some beans for some bullets in a farm house by the Grange, when it turned into a full on reenactment of Night of the Living Dead out of nowhere. A zombie horde and a big 'un spotted us on the way out and began to siege the house. Que a frantic battle as we try to fight them off and board up the windows, while dozens of zombies continue to stream to the house from the surrounding field, drawn by the gunshot. The highlights of it were when I was looking for a replacement melee weapon in the house and found a cavalry sword in a dresser, when we charging outside to the truck I noticed a clump of zombies coming and fired off one of my last shotgun shells to take them out with a propane tank, and when we escaped the first time only to hear the people we were trading with screaming over the radio so we had to turn around.

loving amazing.

EDIT: Oh god. Foghat is tearing my community apart. Everyone's dividing into Foghat Rules! and Foghat Sucks! camps. If this keeps up there's going to be a full blown riot.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 11, 2013

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

The unbreakable fences, barely visible rocks and brush obscuring terrain changes are the main car killers for me.

Yeah these flimsy little wooden fences are ridiculously strong. A minor, yet really annoying detail it would be nice to see fixed in a future update.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Korlac posted:

Agreed, but I understand why they don't have any. They're a small start-up production company and probably couldn't afford to license any. HOWEVER, I fully expect State of Decay 2 (With how well this one is selling, you know they'll do another one) to have full tracks in the cars.
First you have to set up your base in the radio station and find a survivor with the DJ skill :v:

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
I want a survive group full of LARPers.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

homeless snail posted:

First you have to set up your base in the radio station and find a survivor with the DJ skill :v:

I would honest-to-God play an entire game solely about running a post-zombie-apocalypse radio station. Recruit DJs, scavenge for records and equipment, set up a schedule of music and shows, put together a news team to get in touch with other survivor groups and keep everyone informed on the state of the world, establish outposts to keep an eye on zombie movements and report on them like the weather, bring in survivors with special skills to give listeners lessons in gardening/mechanics/medicine/fighting/whatever, give a timeslot to someone entertaining to keep up morale... :allears:

e: I would also happily watch this in sitcom and/or hour-long-drama format. Think 'WKRP In Cincinnati' only with more undead.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 11, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I like all the little jokes and stuff in this game. Every time I hear "Everything's coming up Milhouse!" I chuckle to myself like an idiot.

How essential are the kitchen/dining area rooms? I really want a library, dojo AND garden but I don't have room at Snyder's after the essentials. :ohdear: I'm guessing there isn't a place with enough space for all the rooms, so as to make it about difficult choices?

Still haven't lost anyone yet, but I have 16 guys now so I'm contemplating sending my alcoholic, drinksalot lush the long walk. I need to stop just sending Maya out all the time. She's a whirling katana death machine but I guess I'd be proper hosed if she died.

I got the message about the Pastor falling sick, but his status is fine. Alan is showing as ill, however, but he's still alive. So maybe the Pastor's death isn't inevitable.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, boot up the game to find three members missing, Ed's committed suicide and morale in the toilet. Cannot wait for the patch to fix the infestation bug.

Everyone's attitude is numb or ran away, now.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

I like all the little jokes and stuff in this game. Every time I hear "Everything's coming up Milhouse!" I chuckle to myself like an idiot.

How essential are the kitchen/dining area rooms? I really want a library, dojo AND garden but I don't have room at Snyder's after the essentials. :ohdear: I'm guessing there isn't a place with enough space for all the rooms, so as to make it about difficult choices?

Still haven't lost anyone yet, but I have 16 guys now so I'm contemplating sending my alcoholic, drinksalot lush the long walk. I need to stop just sending Maya out all the time. She's a whirling katana death machine but I guess I'd be proper hosed if she died.

I got the message about the Pastor falling sick, but his status is fine. Alan is showing as ill, however, but he's still alive. So maybe the Pastor's death isn't inevitable.

Yeah, try to spread your experience points out among as many people as possible so you're not completely hosed if a particularly important person dies.

I also don't think there's any home sites with enough space for every room - well, okay, technically Snyder Trucking is big enough for all of them, but only if you build no additional bedrooms beyond what's built in - and the built-in bedroom only has eight beds, and you need twelve people at absolute bare minimum just to man the walls, so if you don't build at least one other bunkroom you'll be dealing with constant sleep deprivation and everyone will hate everyone else. I've never used the dining area but the kitchen is pretty handy, both for the lack of food spoilage and for the feasts you can prepare to give people health and stamina bonuses. You'll pretty much always have way too loving much food, so the food cost of the feasts isn't a problem.

Dirty Karma
Jul 3, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

Ditch the garden, food is super plentiful.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

What's the infestation bug?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Parallax Scroll posted:

What's the infestation bug?

The game constantly tells you that there are too many infestations, even though you can't seem to see any. Supposedly it's because it's counting infestations across the entire map. The upcoming patch is going to restrict it to a 500m radius or something.

This is actually a huge deal, because the "too many infestations" event can cause one of your guys to go missing. So you could end up like me, where you constantly have one or two guys missing from the group.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It's also a constant morale drain. Not a big deal when you're playing, but in the downtime, without the constant morale boost from mission completions you come back to bar 3/4 empty.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

404notfound posted:

The game constantly tells you that there are too many infestations, even though you can't seem to see any. Supposedly it's because it's counting infestations across the entire map. The upcoming patch is going to restrict it to a 500m radius or something.

This is actually a huge deal, because the "too many infestations" event can cause one of your guys to go missing. So you could end up like me, where you constantly have one or two guys missing from the group.

I finished my first playthrough with 12 out of 22 survivors missing, all due to Too Many Infestations. It's pretty awful.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
This game looks great, I already spotted it a while ago and only noticed that it got released now, of course I don't have an Xbox so I'm boned...

The OP says that PC release is before the end of 2013, has this been confirmed recently?

Also why the gently caress would a dev like them make such a game on the loving xbox? I can't think of a less suitable game type for consoles honestly...

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Le0 posted:

This game looks great, I already spotted it a while ago and only noticed that it got released now, of course I don't have an Xbox so I'm boned...

The OP says that PC release is before the end of 2013, has this been confirmed recently?

Also why the gently caress would a dev like them make such a game on the loving xbox? I can't think of a less suitable game type for consoles honestly...

It's expected before the end of 2013, but there's nothing nailed down. They're already working on it, so it's not just lip service.

As for why it's on the xbox, short answer is because they wanted to.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Jonny Retro posted:

It's expected before the end of 2013, but there's nothing nailed down. They're already working on it, so it's not just lip service.

As for why it's on the xbox, short answer is because they wanted to.

Cool thanks for the info, this game looks really good! I'll be waiting patiently

I guess being published by Microsoft has something to do with it ;)

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Mister Bates posted:

I would honest-to-God play an entire game solely about running a post-zombie-apocalypse radio station. Recruit DJs, scavenge for records and equipment, set up a schedule of music and shows, put together a news team to get in touch with other survivor groups and keep everyone informed on the state of the world, establish outposts to keep an eye on zombie movements and report on them like the weather, bring in survivors with special skills to give listeners lessons in gardening/mechanics/medicine/fighting/whatever, give a timeslot to someone entertaining to keep up morale... :allears:

I would pay a bunch of money for a game like this. Or in fact any simulation game that does something even slightly different.

(More on topic, how long until Australians get to play :smith:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Heliotic posted:

I would pay a bunch of money for a game like this. Or in fact any simulation game that does something even slightly different.

(More on topic, how long until Australians get to play :smith:)

:ssh: You can play now if you have a way to purchase US MS points (A way being a credit card).

• Locked thread