Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'd chop them, reconstitute them, blend them a bit and add it along with (the end of) your aromatics in the beginning. If you let them sit in the soaking liquid you can probably just mash them up instead of blending. Try a tiny taste to gauge for heat as you never can tell just by looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Thanks for the advice you both,
After a lot of searching, I discovered they are "facing heaven peppers"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facing_heaven_pepper
I tried one, and they're slightly less hot than my usual peppers.

So, chili will be made today!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I have loads of those that are also dry, I just chuck a few in at the start of cooking (post-liquid) and by the time it's done they have disintegrated. They're good!

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

If you have dry chiles, i think the best results I've gotten have been to use scissors to cut them open, cut out the seeds, then throw them in a hot oven for a few minutes (this dries them out so they grind evenly,) then take them out, let them cool, and grind them in one of those cheap coffee grinders.
If you can't do that, cut out the seeds first, then cook them in some of your chicken stock for a half hour and blast them with a hand blender or regular blender.

The nice thing about doing them in a coffee grinder is that you can just measure out tablespoons of dry chili powder until it's thick enough.
I tried a bunch of different dry chiles for my chili, but lately i use primarily california chiles for body and a little chipotle powder for heat and flavor. Everyone always says use poblanos, but every time i try using them i don't like the chili as much as with california/chipotle only.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Is there a reason to remove the seeds apart from reducing heat levels?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The seeds don't add heat – the white ribs they're attached to do. You remove seeds if you want to improve the texture, or to avoid the (minor) bitterness they can sometimes add. When it comes to chili I don't bother. Gravity has, uh, other ideas.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

The start of chili colorado. 4lbs beef stew meat, 1lb ground pork, 1lb ground lamb. Coors, tomoatoes, chilis, 'Murica.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Wikipedia says the Madame Jeannette pepper is about as hot as a habanero, so "hot as hell".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madame_Jeanette

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Doom Rooster posted:

Resurrecting this from my NICSA entry.

Chipotle and Chocolate Chili

Ingredients:

5 lbs trimmed and cubed Chuck
1 lb Spicy Breakfast Sausage (Owens is the best. Jimmy Dean sucks)
2 Medium Onions, minced
5 Cloves of Garlic, minced
1 bottle Double Chocolate Stout
3 oz Bourbon
32 oz Beef Broth
3.5 oz Chipotle In Adobo
9 Tbsp Chili Powder (Details below)
1 Tbsp Black Pepper
Salt to Taste

I'm mostly new to cooking and was thinking of making this recipe. A few questions, if anyone can answer them.

1. How many servings does this make?
2. Would cooking this in a crock-pot be a good idea? I've got a small three quart one under the counter I've been itching to break out. If so, preparation would be mostly the same, save for the size of the recipe of course. Would this recipe work well on a smaller scale, say half? Otherwise I can stick it in a stew pot.
3. I don't have any bourbon on hand at the moment, though I've got just about all of the other ingredients. Can I substitute anything or is that not possible?

Thanks. Excited to get started on learning the craft of chili-making.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

UnoriginalMind posted:

I'm mostly new to cooking and was thinking of making this recipe. A few questions, if anyone can answer them.

1. How many servings does this make?
2. Would cooking this in a crock-pot be a good idea? I've got a small three quart one under the counter I've been itching to break out. If so, preparation would be mostly the same, save for the size of the recipe of course. Would this recipe work well on a smaller scale, say half? Otherwise I can stick it in a stew pot.
3. I don't have any bourbon on hand at the moment, though I've got just about all of the other ingredients. Can I substitute anything or is that not possible?

Thanks. Excited to get started on learning the craft of chili-making.

It makes me happy to see that people are still making this!

1. It makes a big batch. Probably about 10 servings as written. Scaling it down shouldn't be a problem at all though.

2. For the slow cooker, go right ahead, you are just going to want to cook it on low with the lid off for pretty much the entire time. Hopefully you can get the very, very light bubbling simmer with that.

You really want to still sear the meat, cook the onions/garlic down, etc... So you are going to need to dirty another pot/pan anyway. I personally wouldn't bother with the slow cooker, but if you are itching to use it, it should still be every bit as tasty.

3. You can leave the bourbon out without losing too much. There are already a ton of really intense flavors in it, so the bourbon never really shines through, it just adds a little something.

As with most stews, it's better the next day. It also freezes beautifully. Enjoy!

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

fuckpot posted:

I would kill for a place like this to exist in Australia.

Herbies Spices in Rozelle do internets ordering, and they have Anchos, Chipotles, Guarjilos, Habeneros, Mulatos, New Mexicos and Pasillas in dried form (and many in powdered form, too). Plus messican chocolate, annatto seeds for achiote, various chilli powder mixes (mexican + hot/mild/medium), mole powder mix and any other herb or spice you want. A little expensive, but as you said - Australia is hosed.

http://www.gourmetshopper.com.au/shop/home.php?cat=3&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=2

Also, my local Harris Farm has chipotles in adobo (about $4-5 for a small can) and cans of tomatillos (I think $5?). Dunno if they carry them in all their stores, but worth a look.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
^^I just made your recipe for a second time, Doom Rooster. I use cocoa powder instead of stout (but I have no idea how much would roughly be equivalent, so I just pour in "an amount").

Also, I'm planning to get some dried chiles online soon. It seems everyone has their own ideal mix, so could someone really sell me on a few? Cascabels and Pasillas particularly have my attention.

I have a hard time toasting the chiles as well. Sometimes it feels like I'm burning them, but I'm not positive. Is there a universal heat test for the pan?

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Oh man, I loving love chili. Made one loosely based on the old chili thread OPs recipe with a couple of friends.

Speaking of which, I might just have to make some more one of these days.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
That cast-iron pot is awesome. I always use a Crock-Pot to make chili, but if I was gonna actually be home for a bunch of hours I'd love to make it on the stove/in the oven with a pot like that.

I've talked about it here before, but the Crock-Pot works great as long as you do it on Low for like 8 hours, then take the lid off and run it on High for another two or three. Reduces beautifully and it's easier than any of the other methods. You gotta brown the meat in a pan first, obviously.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Martello posted:

That cast-iron pot is awesome. I always use a Crock-Pot to make chili, but if I was gonna actually be home for a bunch of hours I'd love to make it on the stove/in the oven with a pot like that.

I've talked about it here before, but the Crock-Pot works great as long as you do it on Low for like 8 hours, then take the lid off and run it on High for another two or three. Reduces beautifully and it's easier than any of the other methods. You gotta brown the meat in a pan first, obviously.

Or just don't use a gallon of liquid and cook it for three hours on high so the meat doesn't turn to mush.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

cornface posted:

Or just don't use a gallon of liquid and cook it for three hours on high so the meat doesn't turn to mush.
Even though this guy needs his red title changed to MUST CONDEMN REDUCING AT ALL COSTS, I took his advice and used less liquid in my chili and it was about 10x better.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

fuckpot posted:

Even though this guy needs his red title changed to MUST CONDEMN REDUCING AT ALL COSTS, I took his advice and used less liquid in my chili and it was about 10x better.

If you must reduce, too much juice!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

cornface posted:

I don't use that much liquid. The meat also doesn't turn to mush so I'm not sure what you're talking about here. I also probably exaggerated on how long I cook it, I just kinda do it by eye and whenever I get home from work.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Only way it will turn to mush is if you: use ground beef (strike one), don't brown it first (strike two), and leave it on low for two days (...just get out).

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Yeah exactly. I don't use ground, obviously, either stew meat or sirloin steaks if I'm feeling ostentatious. And I brown the gently caress outta them first.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Crazyeyes posted:

Only way it will turn to mush is if you: use ground beef (strike one), don't brown it first (strike two), and leave it on low for two days (...just get out).

Or adding five cups of liquid to it and cooking it for 11 hours.

Using ground or shredded meat as filler allows you to stop cooking your chili before your cubed meat falls completely apart, while still ensuring that the bulk of every bite is thick and meaty. 3 to 1 ratio of cubed to filler is just about perfect.

Pulled pork, chorizo, ground beef, venison, or ground pork all work well for this.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
How is your spoon going to stand up right in the pan if the meat hasn't broke apart like pulled pork? Serious question.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Because I like my chili served over rice, I prefer it be practically pulled pork consistency anyway. Easier to handle and more homogeneous flavor

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, I like good Texas chili as a fairly homogenous meatpile, rather than cubes-of-meat-in-spicy-sauce. But then, I tend to use it as almost a condiment, putting it on toast or in a baked potato or whatever.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Faithless posted:

How is your spoon going to stand up right in the pan if the meat hasn't broke apart like pulled pork? Serious question.

If you use (as an example) a pound of rehydrated chilis and a pound of ground or shredded filler meat as a base, it will be plenty thick before you even add several pounds of cubed meat and cook it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So I'm new to this whole making chili thing and wanted to have a go at it. I have about 2.5lbs of Ribeye in my freezer, would this be an appropriate cut to use for chili + say half a pound of ground chorizo?

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Why waste a ribeye? Chili and stews are good for big, lean cuts of round or top. I mean, if you have it, and don't want to spend money to buy a different cut just for chili, go for it, but...it's like grinding down a porterhouse to make chicken fried steak.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Ground meat chili is hot dog chili.

gently caress using ground meat in chili, seriously. If your defense of ground meat in chili is "you don't cook it as long" you've clearly missed the entire loving point. Sure, you do have to reduce it less if you use less liquid. I'll be sure to take your advice next time I'm making demiglace. Less water = richer stock, right?

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

signalnoise posted:

Ground meat chili is hot dog chili.

gently caress using ground meat in chili, seriously. If your defense of ground meat in chili is "you don't cook it as long" you've clearly missed the entire loving point. Sure, you do have to reduce it less if you use less liquid. I'll be sure to take your advice next time I'm making demiglace. Less water = richer stock, right?

The reason for not cooking it longer is because turning your cubed meat into mush is terrible, especially when the only reason you are doing it is to reduce the ridiculous amount of unnecessary stock and beer that you've filled the pot with. It is like ribs. Tender, but with a little bite to it.

Also it's kind of funny that you frown at "hot dog" chili while advocating using a potato masher on it.

Perhaps you could post some of your chili because I'm having a hard time envisioning it aside from your description of it as "enchilada sauce with meat."

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

cornface posted:

The reason for not cooking it longer is because turning your cubed meat into mush is terrible, especially when the only reason you are doing it is to reduce the ridiculous amount of unnecessary stock and beer that you've filled the pot with. It is like ribs. Tender, but with a little bite to it.

Also it's kind of funny that you frown at "hot dog" chili while advocating using a potato masher on it.

Perhaps you could post some of your chili because I'm having a hard time envisioning it aside from your description of it as "enchilada sauce with meat."

Yeah you know what I was doing? Showing you how loving stupid it is to say what someone else likes is just bad

As far as what My Chili is like sorry, I don't have archive access, if you want that you can look in the last chili thread or I guess wait until I make chili again

For real though hot dog chili does have its place like I've said before

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Mixing ground meat with cubed meat is blasphemous.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Christmas Miracle posted:

Mixing ground meat with cubed meat is blasphemous.

A small amount of loose chorizo is never wrong.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

bunnielab posted:

A small amount of loose chorizo is never wrong.

When is chorizo ever wrong I mean really

Honestly I'm against just straight up ground beef because it's just such a boring thing. Now, I could see an argument that chorizo is cheating because it's already flavored by someone else ( unless you made your own ), but you know I figure I already use someone else's beer, and I could stand to taste an andouille chili. That should would be great on rice. I think I'll make some micro batches of that next time I have some real free cookin' time.

Need to make time for that next time I'm not working some ridic overtime

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

What's the general consensus on pasta in chili? I know someone who will mix in a lb our so if died pasta I'm the last half hour or so of cooking. It's pretty darn tasty, but no longer "chili" in my book. Helps with the high-liquid issue some non-reducers run into, however.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

What's the general consensus on pasta in chili? I know someone who will mix in a lb our so if died pasta I'm the last half hour or so of cooking. It's pretty darn tasty, but no longer "chili" in my book. Helps with the high-liquid issue some non-reducers run into, however.

I believe the chili variant involving macaroni is known as "chili mac"

I personally don't like it because I think chili should be like a spoonful of pure flavor and I think pasta kind of dilutes that

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Crazyeyes posted:

If I was going to eat chilli with pasta, I'd boil the pasta separately, and serve the chilli on top of a bed of pasta instead of a bed of rice.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Crazyeyes posted:

THE ONE TRUE CHILI REQUIRES NO CARBS

Nah it doesn't matter, and is mostly regional. Our family from the south has chili over cornbread; family from the north has it over noodles, and Colorado family serves over rice. Who cares. But I wouldn't cook any of those IN the chili liquid.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

YEAH DOG posted:

THE ONE TRUE CHILI REQUIRES NO CARBS

Nah it doesn't matter, and is mostly regional. Our family from the south has chili over cornbread; family from the north has it over noodles, and Colorado family serves over rice. Who cares. But I wouldn't cook any of those IN the chili liquid.

Here is the crux of the issue, you see. Neither would I, for the record. I know some do, though, and it's kinda weird to behold.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
I'm gonna cook chili this week and I'm thinking of doing it in the oven. What's a good temperature to cook it at, and is there anything I need to watch out for doing it this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Down With People posted:

I'm gonna cook chili this week and I'm thinking of doing it in the oven. What's a good temperature to cook it at, and is there anything I need to watch out for doing it this way?

300 degrees. 3-4 hours. Stir every hour or so. Watch out for how delicious it might be.