Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stille
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone here still playing Discworld? I've been playing on and off for about 8 years and the char I spend most of my time on is an assassin called Aphaea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

stille posted:

Anyone here still playing Discworld? I've been playing on and off for about 8 years and the char I spend most of my time on is an assassin called Aphaea.

I used to play a bit, I've been trying to find time to get back into it recently but I've got a Ranger in his 20s on Carrion Fields and an Assassin I'm keeping below PK range 'til hide and sneak are at 100%.

I'd definitely be up for getting back into Discworld again when I've got some free time. Anyone else in here play Carrion Fields still?

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.

stille posted:

That's funny, of all the people on Discworld your name always stood out the most and whenever I think of the game the name comes to mind. I even came close to stealing it in other games for some reason (I don't even know really, it's just stuck in my mind). Anyhow, didn't know you were a goon, so that's nice.

I haven't played in a while. I have 4 characters and I still don't know which one I prefer and want to play more with. I think I got a bit sick of running around grinding all the time. To be honest it doesn't help that I always purposely make things harder and more complicated for me, I started 2 characters as uberwaldeans... one of which still has no levels in any other language and the other speaks Morporkian but can't read/write. I felt so badass when I finally became an assassin after 3 days of standing in the middle of Sator Square doing absolutely nothing :black101:

stille
Oct 9, 2012
Heh, the grinding can get annoying, it's true. Helps to set yourself all sorts of sidegoals so you don't get stuck advancing your fighting skills so you can get more xp so you can advance your fighting skills some more. And if the problem is not the lack of goals but the lack of xp to advance your skills to reach said goals, grouping helps *a lot*. I've never seen a young character have any trouble getting oldbies to group with them if they dragged, and the daily grind feels completely different at 200k xp/h than at 800k xp/h. Also helps a lot if you don't just play it as a singleplayer game - some of the best moments I've had were when someone started doing something silly and got other people to join it. Like there was that time Nerevar was working on getting the Unexpected title, so he was visiting* a ton, so he thought he'd spice things up by seeing how many people he could convince to follow him visiting. So whenever he visited someone he invited them to follow, and many did, and he was dragging along about 1/4 of the online playerbase - I mean dozens of people - and then he visited someone who was chilling on the bottom of the sea casting breathe underwater on themselves every now and then. "Panic, chaos and disorder" does little to describe the situation. Was one of those things I'm really glad I was a part of.

*Visit is a ritual Hattite priests get that allows them to teleport to a random player/named NPC in the game. You get Unexpected by teleporting to a random player/named NPC 10k times - which can be achieved by the visit ritual, by failed wizard portals or (if you're a witch) by flying to the wrong person because you failed your direction check.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
Is it worth Having a Discworld MUD thread? It seems to be a pretty regular topic.

I had an urge to play again only yesterday and having a goon group to run with would make life for my lowbie character a lot more tolerable.

We could buy a clubhouse :3:

On as Sony/Cell/Octriane/Razzel

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

eviljimmy posted:

Is it worth Having a Discworld MUD thread? It seems to be a pretty regular topic.

I had an urge to play again only yesterday and having a goon group to run with would make life for my lowbie character a lot more tolerable.

We could buy a clubhouse :3:

On as Sony/Cell/Octriane/Razzel

Heh. Went to send you a tell to say hi and apparently I put you on ignore some time ago.

code:
You are currently ignoring:
Sony because You're somehow worse than emrys and perseus combined.
Anyway, there's probably only 2-5 goons active on DW MUD. Not enough for a club nor to warrant a separate thread.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So, InfernoMOO actually has had work done on it in the past sixish months. I don't know why that surprised me, but I was expecting a dead game with nothing of note done to it.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!
Who needs a(nother) hellmoo clone when you can stare at this loving amazing piece of beauty

quote:

On the screen you see:
H1 Holodeck 1
A wonderous and magical emporium of dreams and rape fantasies come
() true straight from the very heart of your own rapey imagination.
Anything is possible. Including rape.

Riker, a computer, Worf, Bones, Data, Picard, Spock, Seven of Nine, Sulu, Q, Geordi, Troi, kirk, and Wesley Crusher are standing here.

On the cheap television: The computer [to Bones]: programme loaded and ready. no audio anomalies present. no subspace projections present. no z-particle emissions present.
On the cheap television: Worf [to Data]: the Vulcan defence vessels are within visual range, Commander. the transporter sensor log shows an unusual concentration of antigraviton particles In the officers with whom I serve.
On the cheap television: Spock [to Seven of Nine]: Get through. a reasonable assumption, Mister Scott. the readings are Totally contemptuous of death. We must. the vaccine could be hallucinations? that sounds like a river, with currents, eddies, backwash.
On the cheap television: Troi [to Geordi]: that's impossible. He's been programmed to be Captain. first Officer, Maybe. I understand You've had some terrific news.
On the cheap television: Kirk [to Worf]: And saving the Existing antitoxin. you left the cafe about the same time. Scotty. No! Wait!
On the cheap television: Data [to Troi]: Can love you now.
On the cheap television: Seven of Nine [to Picard]: is also Where I regenerate. you will extract the nanoprobes will compensate for the Borg. I hate Borgs. Yeah, They're mean. It's your move. I am functional again. Tell Her Thank you.
On the cheap television: Sulu [to the computer]: Beings intelligent enough To have To call inanimate objects she, like She's a fast ship.
I could drink rum and read this poo poo all day.
I do.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
It is beautiful.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It took me a second to realize the title-casing was hosed up.

It is too perfect. The markov bots must be cleansed. We must kill the thinking mooverbs.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

Hello Sailor posted:

Heh. Went to send you a tell to say hi and apparently I put you on ignore some time ago.

code:
You are currently ignoring:
Sony because You're somehow worse than emrys and perseus combined.
Anyway, there's probably only 2-5 goons active on DW MUD. Not enough for a club nor to warrant a separate thread.

This is fantastic, although I will say that Sony was my troll/childish character. The others were a little more reserved!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I was checking out TMC to see what is going on there. I see this:

quote:

I am looking for a desc'r to do the descriptions, both street and buildings, for a oWoD game that takes place in Vice City (From GTA: Vice City). Familiarity with the game is very important, though the game will take place in modern times (not the 80's) as is familiarity with the program MUSH Room Which I used to build the grid, though that also can be worked around.

Grand Theft Auto: Bite City? Not even in the time period that makes Vice City so interesting.

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 7, 2013

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Man, what a waste. Vampire: New Wave was written for things like Vice City crossovers!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I just randomly was thinking about DragonRealms and Gemstone IV. I don't see much general interweb chatter about either - are they pretty much dead these days?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Play Unwritten Legends instead.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Fryhtaning posted:

I just randomly was thinking about DragonRealms and Gemstone IV. I don't see much general interweb chatter about either - are they pretty much dead these days?

DR and GS4 are pay to play now.

Beefheart
May 5, 2003

Reene posted:

Play Unwritten Legends instead.

I did for about an hour before I was told that PvP is practically unheard of on that MUD.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

There's actually a lot of IC conflict but yeah, actual PvP is relatively rare and generally something both players know is coming anyway.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
It's also pretty hard to do considering how rapidly just a couple levels can put you at a disadvantage. I play a bunch of nice guys though so I'm not terribly worried about it. :v:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

nucleicmaxid posted:

They were ever free after the AOL days?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

nucleicmaxid posted:

Uh, they've always been. In fact, they're going F2P in the future (or at least DR is). Yes, some of us still play them, they're basically holding steady where they've been the past 5-7 years or so, with a few hundred concurrent players (in DR).

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Diplomaticus posted:

Uh, they've always been. In fact, they're going F2P in the future (or at least DR is). Yes, some of us still play them, they're basically holding steady where they've been the past 5-7 years or so, with a few hundred concurrent players (in DR).

Am I the only one in the world who learned about those MUDs from Warcraft 3? There was a custom map that had heroes based on their classes. I've wanted to try them since then, but not enough to pay money. It might be cool to fool around in if they go F2P.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

My last experience with them was when they were on AOL For free. If they go F2P I might actually start to play again.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Diplomaticus posted:

How hard is it to get going these days? DR was one of the slowest grinds ever, and I imagine there are a whole slew of level 200 people now. Games like WoW and their fast starts (especially if you already had a high-level character) have forever spoiled even us old-schoolers in terms of the multi-hundred-hour monotonous grinds.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I remember about eight or nine years ago there was a MUD where EVERYTHING was in Latin -- chat, rooms, commands, everything.

Does anyone remember it and know if it's still around?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

tarepanda posted:

I remember about eight or nine years ago there was a MUD where EVERYTHING was in Latin -- chat, rooms, commands, everything.

Does anyone remember it and know if it's still around?

Bam: http://www.mudconnect.com/muds/Labyrinthus_Latinus.html

edit: It's possible there are two but this one started in 2001. I guess you could just force translate a whole MUD to latin though, I'm thinking goon mud?? I vote Funkmaster General for lead developer position on this promising new venture :)

fuck the ROW fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 11, 2013

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I saw that but the name doesn't seem right... hmm. I'll have to take a look.

Thanks!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

gently caress the ROW posted:

Bam: http://www.mudconnect.com/muds/Labyrinthus_Latinus.html

edit: It's possible there are two but this one started in 2001. I guess you could just force translate a whole MUD to latin though, I'm thinking goon mud?? I vote Funkmaster General for lead developer position on this promising new venture :)

I logged in and looked around a bit, holy poo poo that was a weird experience.

I am 100% down for making a goon mud again. The two to three weeks before everyone gets bored and quits are usually pretty fun.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Sheep posted:

I logged in and looked around a bit, holy poo poo that was a weird experience.

I am 100% down for making a goon mud again. The two to three weeks before everyone gets bored and quits are usually pretty fun.

I miss those days (long time ago, before I was a goon). Highlights included building an entire droid companion system with upgrades, personality chips, covert ops devices, etc, and building the shell for a 100-floor skyscraper using a single looped script.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

I vote Funkmaster General for lead developer position on this promising new venture :)

Don't even joke, my man.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

...When the rain starts to pour.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Fryhtaning posted:

How hard is it to get going these days? DR was one of the slowest grinds ever, and I imagine there are a whole slew of level 200 people now. Games like WoW and their fast starts (especially if you already had a high-level character) have forever spoiled even us old-schoolers in terms of the multi-hundred-hour monotonous grinds.

It's much faster than it used to be. Still not "fast" but scripting tools, experience tweaks, and training optimizations have made it so that people level quite fast now through your first 75 levels. As for the 200-level HLCs, they're around, and mostly the same people who were stuck at 150 for years due to the level cap. There are more in the 125-165 range than there used to be, but a lot of those people are the ERP-ing carebears that nobody wants to associate with that report you for having any kind of fun at all. And I say that as a former GM who had to deal with said reports. So overall it balances out.

There are definitely more reasons to come back now if you really enjoyed DR back in the day but sort of drifted away. Many of the systems have been refreshed, guilds have gotten some new faces and spells/abilities, quite a few new (pay) quests that have some cool scripted and magical loot. And the GM staff is, on a whole, WAY WAY WAY better than that of days gone by, and has been for several years now. They're productive, they know the systems and are finally digging through some features in the codebase that people wouldn't touch for years because "the one person who knew how it worked quit and nobody wants to risk breaking something". But if you never liked DR much in the first place, it's not THAT significantly changed. It's still the same base IFE game that it always was.

nucleicmaxid posted:

My last experience with them was when they were on AOL For free. If they go F2P I might actually start to play again.

Hmm -- I first got involved with DR when it was on Prodigy, AOL, and I think also Genie and Compuserve. As far as I know it was pay-to-play on all of them. There was a while I think it was free on MSN Zone for a few months during the web transition. It has not been a free game for at least the past 15 years.

Bleu posted:

Am I the only one in the world who learned about those MUDs from Warcraft 3? There was a custom map that had heroes based on their classes. I've wanted to try them since then, but not enough to pay money. It might be cool to fool around in if they go F2P.

Never played the Warcraft 3 map, but if you play Dwarf Fortress, there is a Dragonrealms TC mod called "Dwarvenrealms" that is actually pretty fun. Basically it mods Elanthia's races and monsters into Dwarf Fortress, and it actually works.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 18, 2013

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I have a sudden desire to have dwarfs murdering field goblins and ship rats. Oh poo poo a dillo, every dwarf die for your home!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Diplomaticus posted:

Hmm -- I first got involved with DR when it was on Prodigy, AOL, and I think also Genie and Compuserve. As far as I know it was pay-to-play on all of them. There was a while I think it was free on MSN Zone for a few months during the web transition. It has not been a free game for at least the past 15 years.

They were both free to play on AOL. I don't know what to tell you, but I even did a google search and saw other people talking about playing it back when it was free. But this also isn't very topical. There may've been higher tiers for pay?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

nucleicmaxid posted:

They were both free to play on AOL. I don't know what to tell you, but I even did a google search and saw other people talking about playing it back when it was free. But this also isn't very topical. There may've been higher tiers for pay?

This is complicated because the producer of DR (Solomon) has frequently said that DR was never free, which can be viewed as a true statement but requires a good understanding of how games worked in the early AOL days.

Back in the Before Times, AOL and its competitors billed people for being on-line per hour. Games did the same thing to AOL, so everybody won at least a little bit: the games got a slice of the per-hour bucks, and AOL got more people online longer. AOL eventually went flat rate, which rapidly developed into a problem: their contracts with the games were still paying out per hour. Suddenly those obsessive gamers were not gold mines, but were actively costing AOL money by their presence!

DR and the others, in this light, were never free -- AOL was simply footing the bill for you. Until they stopped doing that. Some games shut down entirely, many managed web migrations to varying success. The Simutronics games led the most successful life outside AOL, though the Company That Would Become Mythic Entertainment did well for awhile too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ah, well. I was like twelve or thirteen years old when they switched to a flat rate, so I guess I just didn't ever know that.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So, I've been experimenting with MUSH and MUCK games recently, and I deeply regret it.

The majority that exist are World of Darkness based, furry/sex based, with a small outlier of anime. I have a character on The Reach (NWOD) and Tenebrae (3.5 Pathfinder). It works similar to a pencil and paper, you draft up the guy in-game, submit it to be approved by the game admin, and then pretty much flounder in social scenes where no die rolls are made (sometimes called "bar rp" because that's a popular setting), with an event calendar available to sign-up for more conventional sort of RP that ends up essentially being an IRC session of the pnp you are playing.

The problem is that internet anonymity and huge player pools means the GM/DM/ST doesn't really give a poo poo about or know your character, and therefore it's a lot of posturing and trying to play the exposition game while elegantly not trying to sound like a try-hard. One other thing is bar rp is boring is poo poo, and makes Social Skills/stats even more of a dump because when it comes to rolling die, nobody is going to waste that short time to see if you successfully painted a picture or whatever. It's just a conceptually shallow system of MUDs that is really loving boring in exchange for very brief times when you feel like you can Do a Cool Thing.

MUDding in general is kind of making me sad. I've been doing it since I was like thirteen, and all the games I played are dead or dying, with virtually no way to get back the playerbase with the pushing of many free graphical MMOs and such. I know there are a few MUDs that boast insane players online at once, but they tend to be so labyrinthine that new players don't have a hope in trying to parse how to actually play without a huge time investment. I don't know.

This is too many words about people pretending to be vampires maybe, but it feels good to vent.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
All of the decent MUDs I've played have had a nice balance of RP and grinding. You grind and hang out with friends 80% of the time, 20% of the time you RP or host events or whatever and it has absolutely nothing to do with your stats/level -- it's all narrative. Some immortal-run events or gulid-run events would give OOC rewards (quest points, gold, a one-off item, item restring, etc.) for especially good RP.

It was a lot of fun.

You probably just need to find a good place with a crowd you enjoy.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Firstborn posted:

MUDding in general is kind of making me sad. I've been doing it since I was like thirteen, and all the games I played are dead or dying, with virtually no way to get back the playerbase with the pushing of many free graphical MMOs and such. I know there are a few MUDs that boast insane players online at once, but they tend to be so labyrinthine that new players don't have a hope in trying to parse how to actually play without a huge time investment. I don't know.

This is too many words about people pretending to be vampires maybe, but it feels good to vent.

The most fun I get out of a text game is "roleplaying" (not an elf) by using the game mechanics and doing cool stuff, and chatting, perhaps in character as a space repairman, with tolerable people. I think it's the same as graphical games.

>cd wyserver
>node server.js

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The most fun I get out of a text game is "roleplaying" (not an elf) by using the game mechanics and doing cool stuff, and chatting, perhaps in character as a space repairman, with tolerable people. I think it's the same as graphical games.

>cd wyserver
>node server.js

How long does it generally take to get your password sent? Is somebody approving them manually?

• Locked thread